Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iceland - how are they allowed to sell this ...

Comments

• Options
    Don't know what the fuss is about, we've had pizza kebabs up here for years...

It's a kind of bisexual food for those than can't make up their mind if they want a pizza or a kebab after a night of quaffing...
  • Options
    Going to have to get a chicken kebab at Football tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Kebab meat is no better or worse than a sausage or a burger - not sure what the problem is. No harm in any junk food - just don't eat it all the time and make sure you eat enough of the right stuff as well. It wouldn't be in the shop if it doesn't have an e number - having an e number means it's classified and is okay. (despite the misconceived panic that a lot of people have about them)

I quote you E300 as proof of your argument
  • Options
    Amazing to think that Iceland get grief over one pizza yet not one person brings up the evil way Halal meat gets into our shops and how many shops like Nando's in Woolwich only use this meat so if you do not agree with the way its slaughtered, you are not given a choice which is disgusting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313303/Britain-goes-halal---tells-public.html

Amazing
  • Options
    WUM
  • Options
    I really didn't realise this left behind. An absolute disgrace. How can we even get to a situation where some people think it right to give in to the wims of a few muslims and not even consider the thoughts of the Christian based English majority is quite a frightening undercurrent.
  • Options
    There's a lot of misconceptions over Halal meet. Basically if you disagree with the way the meat is slaughtered (the Qur'an is against causing suffering to animals) you should turn vegetarian, or at the very least never have a curry or a kebab again, they've only served Halal meet for decades.
  • Options
    "The Qur'an is against causing suffering to animals?" Do you know the technique they use to slaughter animals?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]There's a lot of misconceptions over Halal meet. Basically if you disagree with the way the meat is slaughtered (the Qur'an is against causing suffering to animals) you should turn vegetarian, or at the very least never have a curry or a kebab again, they've only served Halal meet for decades.[/quote]

Thw way they are slaughtered at least when you kill a animal kill it outright instent not let it suffer in pain a differeence.
  • Options
    I feel like the Daily Mail want me to care about the animals that are killed for my pleasure, but I now want a chicken sandwich. Costa it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]"The Qur'an is against causing suffering to animals?" Do you know the technique they use to slaughter animals?

Click Leftbehind's link above and down throughthe article and it tells how Halal slaughtering should be done - and the difference when it's done carelessly or badly.
  • Options
    I love CL threads ... it's like chatting down the pub and getting pissed moving from one subject to another ... this started on crap food and has moved to the Qu'ran ... my betting is we will get to climate change soon and the real arguments will start ;-)
  • Options
    As a fairly stereotypical Englishman, i don't care how my meat is killed as long as it's tasty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]As a fairly stereotypical Englishman, i don't care how my meat is killed as long as it's tasty.

Snap that
  • Options
    My wife makes delicious curries using halal meat. Yummy! (Usually bought from the halal butchers next to the fire station in Plumstead).
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]As a fairly stereotypical Englishman, i don't care how my meat is killed as long as it's tasty.

Snap that
    If I was worried about the animal I would check that the food is free ranged and avoid eating fish. Although to be really safe I'll be a vegetarian, most of whom (unless trying to lose weight) chose to be due to animal cruelty.
  • Options
    “you are not given a choice which is disgusting”

Are you serious ? I thought this was a wind up attempt ?

You have many, many choices.

a) don’t eat in that restaurant
    b) eat in a different nando’s
    c) have the veggie option

If a private business chooses to serve it’s meat from a particular source who on earth should be able to tell them otherwise.

If Halal meat outrageous public decency in the way which has been described then surely no-one will eat there and as such will be forced to change it’s approach.
  • Options
    I don't know what all the fuss is about, since when has a kebab been an animal..?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I don't know what all the fuss is about, since when has a kebab been an animal..?
    Lol

Seriously though, if you have a problem with eating Halal meat then either a) you care about the welfare of animals and want to ensure they did not suffer when being killed which is fine but surely you would have found all this out before this article and avoided those restuarants that serve Halal meat or b) you are a right wing scum bag and because Halal is a Muslim tradition you are totally against it.

Personally all I care about is the taste, I really couldn't care how the animal was slaughtered
  • Options
    There is no better way to make yourself feel better about your own life than reading the comments section on the Daily Mail.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pizza's £1...have I missed something, has it suddenly become illegal to sell food?
  • Options
    I was on holiday in Tunisia on one of their religious holidays and all the locals were trumpeting it up and down the high street in their festive garb, all the tourists were clapping and dancing with the locals when suddenly one of the local chiefs grabbed a goat, trussed up its hind legs, roped it up over a tree branch and slit its throat, claret everywhere...

Most of the tourists squealed like stuck pigs but the locals were revelling in it all, the kids were dancing in the flowing blood, it all looked pretty gory and probably would look out of place if it happened in the middle of Woolwich market but that's been part of local tradition for hundreds of years...

Let's not knock the culture of others, if it makes sense to them, that's all that matters...
  • Options
    Thw way they are slaughtered at least when you kill a animal kill it outright instent not let it suffer in pain a differeence

Almost all the chicken you'll have bought in fast food joint, stadium etc, whether Halal or not, will have had a miserable life in a battery farm.
  • Options
    Charges should be made at a battery farm. It would be both a positive and negative thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Charges should be made at a battery farm. It would be both a positive and negative thing.
    That's a shocking thing to say...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Pizza's £1...have I missed something, has it suddenly become illegal to sell food?

Not to you. You should be made to eat nothing else.
  • Options
    Don't nevessarily agree about Asda and Waitrose comparrisons- have had some lovely stuff from Asda. The meatballs they do are top notch. Also the hedgehog loaf, onion bloomer and garlic and onion bagels are as tasty as you can get. Their build your own Pizza'z are also very nice -don't be a snob - Asda rules! Petrol is cheaper there too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Let's not knock the culture of others, if it makes sense to them, that's all that matters...

That sentence in itself is good common sense. The problem, according to that Daily Mail article, is that people are served Halal food unknowingly. The culture of the minority is therefore being forced unknowingly on the majority. That is surely wrong. All food should be labelled Halal or non-Halal, just as all meat should be labelled battery meat or 'free range' just as is done with eggs.
  • Options
    Is it done with eggs?

I don't think I have anything in the house that's made of eggs at the moment, but I don't remember reading 'battery hen egg' on the last cake I bought.

Maybe some companies charge more for free range fairtrade organic egg cake, with associated marketing, but I can't say I've ever noticed it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Is it done with eggs?

I don't think I have anything in the house that's made of eggs at the moment, but I don't remember reading 'battery hen egg' on the last cake I bought.

Generally you won't, of course, because if labelled 'battery hen egg' many people would not buy it and sales would drop.
    It wouldn't be a good marketing or sales ploy. Remember, the main point of producing food is to sell it and make a profit.

On the other hand, if it is made with 'free range/organic', that label will be plastered all over the product to entice shoppers to buy.

So it's probably safe to assume that all eggs are 'battery hen/caged' unless otherwise labelled.

Last point ....... when listing the ingredients of a cake, etc, manufacturers are only enforced to list certain ingredients;
    those that are contributary (like in a sauce or filling) are not necessarily subject to the same strict conditions.