Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Woodman. Discuss. (Edit: Ben Roberts hired as new goalkeeping coach - 29/12/10)

124»

Comments

• Options
    this is a subject i love being a goalkeeping coach myself who was the 11 year old released by fulham?
    Posted By: SwisdomYou say that but Fulham released a really highly rated keeper at 11 years old or something stupid because bone analysis revealed he wouldnt get much over 6'

its a sore point with size i have seen plenty of talent fall through the window because like 99% most pro clubs want keepers to be over 6ft 4 agree with a lot of posts Reina Deano Given Casillas Shilton are not 6ft 5 more around the 6ft mark

people - coaches - managers need to wake up and realisze gk has moved on and we dont always need to be 6ft 5 to be the best keeper in the world?

Woody did a superb job for charlton and i wish him all the best for his new role?

from looking at the youth set up at charlton there are some good kids there under a chap called merek who has done a fantastic job with the 9-10-11-12 year olds
    they have a decent u16 keeper in Dillion and u15 a boy called luke with the right work and development they could become pro's?

I have just been working over in greece and worked with keepers aged between 13-18 i picked two out a 16 year old first year scholar who will be signing for wycome and a 14 year old who i will be sending to a premier league club

we do need to develop the kids as much as possible and give them a chance to shine in the game

who can we get to replace him from what i hear its between two people
  • Options
    Simon Royce, I hope - he is the Brentford goalie coach and we saw the impact of that last night...
  • Options
    Seems that way as Twitter feed has just asked which familar face is returning...
  • Options
    What's the betting he gets registered as a player as well. Still only 35 which is not old in goalkeeping terms and would be a cheap option if Elliot or Worner were injured.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]What's the betting he gets registered as a player as well. Still only 35 which is not old in goalkeeping terms and would be a cheap option if Elliot or Worner were injured.

He retired early age 29 due to injury, so no he won't be playing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]What's the betting he gets registered as a player as well. Still only 35 which is not old in goalkeeping terms and would be a cheap option if Elliot or Worner were injured.

He retired early age 29 due to injury, so no he won't be playing.

but was registered by Yeovil as a player and played a game in League 1 last season for them so may still be a possibility.
  • Options
    I'm happy with this a Coach who can still play and becomes our Number 3 Keeper . He won't play apart from an emergency.

He played for Yeovil this season so must have got through any compensation issues about retirement .
  • Options
    Wise's first signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good signing, a coach for I've seen play.
  • Options
    Just done a Wiki on him

This is what it says about what he did after 'retiring ' . Looks quite impressive.

After helping Brighton to promotion in the 2004 League One Play-Off Final at the Millennium Stadium, a recurrent back injury forced him to retire in 2005 at the age of 29. He then graduated from Roehampton University with a First Class Honors Degree in Sports Science and Coaching and won the Adidas 'Pursuit of Excellence' award for his dissertation entitled ‘A Biomechanical Analysis of a Football Goalkeepers Jumping Technique’. In June 2009 he was appointed as goalkeeper coach and chief scout at Yeovil Town.[3] He made his Yeovil Town debut in the 3 - 3 draw with Swindon on 30 October 2010, replacing Stephen Henderson at half time who suffered a head injury.

He was also capped for England at under-21 level.[4]
  • Options
    Pleased with this, was GK coach at Yeovil last season so not a complete newby to gk coaching and can always sit on the bench. May allow Worner to get some loan games somewhere and would not be the worst option if Elliot/Worner were unavailable.

As said above, very impressive record since retiring from playing full time.
  • Options
    Welcome back Mr Roberts.
  • Options
    I may be very mistaken but sure I had a beer with him in early nineties at the University I was at. Was "attracted" to him as he was walking round the bar in a Charlton keepers shirt.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    I presume Yeovil put him on a playing contract partly so he could sit on the bench or play in emergencies and partly to increase his value if he got headhunted.
  • Options
    In his CAFC Player interview Roberts said that he had made it clear that he is with us to be a coach and not a player. But he also said that he kept himself fit so he would be able to help out in emergencies.
  • Options
    Hopefully, he'll also move into the Chief Scout role.....
  • Options
    Very impressed with the level of workout the boys did with Roberts before and at half time - good signs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Where he'll be managing promising youngster (38) Kevin Lisbie.
  • Options
    Who is Charlton's current goalkeeping coach?
  • Options

Who is Charlton's current goalkeeping coach?

Lee Turner
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Congrats Andy!!... Feel sorry for the last Manager though, got his side to the FA Cup 1st Round and should have got them to the 2nd Round had it not been for a prat of a ref!!
  • Options
    AW is in the 100 greatest keepers list for his heroics at Northampton many moons ago.