Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Builders in at the training ground

Comments

• Options
    Bump : What's the current status of this ?
  • Options

Bump : What's the current status of this ?

Builders not at the training ground?:wink:
  • Options
    So all building has stopped ?
  • Options
    It is Sunday : - )
  • Options
    No idea SHG I was being facetious.
    Somebody close to SL must know?
  • Options
    The reason for my enquiry is because I think what is happening / not happening could tell us a lot about what is going on behind the scenes at The Valley and Duchatelets possible intentions.

It is not at all likely that work has stopped for the reasons attributed to Katrien Meire. That being that the building work was not stopped only appearing to be while various contractors moved in and out on completion of various stages of the project. Yes there would be various sub contractors but the work would be under the control of the main contractor. This would not include weeks of inactivity while subbies got their acts together. This project would be strictly time controlled for the benefit of both parties with financial implications on both for breach.

If there is nothing going on then RD has instructed the main contractor to halt work. This will not be cheap but perhaps cheaper than spending money on a build that is unlikely to yield a return upon sale ?

We need to dig more on this.
  • Options
    I was down there a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't see anything going on.
  • Options
    Putting up netting behind the goals in case protests spread?
  • Options
    SHG, you're right that any ordinary business would get their planning right to ensure there aren't gaps or periods of inactivity.

But then we enter the crazy world of Charlton Athletic, where reality and normal practice becomes suspended or inverted in favour of some "unique" business theme park where the normal rules just don't apply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PS. With thanks and a tip of the hat to Lord Justice Sedley.
  • Options

The reason for my enquiry is because I think what is happening / not happening could tell us a lot about what is going on behind the scenes at The Valley and Duchatelets possible intentions.

It is not at all likely that work has stopped for the reasons attributed to Katrien Meire. That being that the building work was not stopped only appearing to be while various contractors moved in and out on completion of various stages of the project. Yes there would be various sub contractors but the work would be under the control of the main contractor. This would not include weeks of inactivity while subbies got their acts together. This project would be strictly time controlled for the benefit of both parties with financial implications on both for breach.

If there is nothing going on then RD has instructed the main contractor to halt work. This will not be cheap but perhaps cheaper than spending money on a build that is unlikely to yield a return upon sale ?

We need to dig more on this.

Makes sense SHG, hopefully someone has more knowledge about this.

Anyone know who the main contractors are? Could maybe do some digging on their activities.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

SHG, you're right that any ordinary business would get their planning right to ensure there aren't gaps or periods of inactivity.

But then we enter the crazy world of Charlton Athletic, where reality and normal practice becomes suspended or inverted in favour of some "unique" business theme park where the normal rules just don't apply.

This would not be planning by CAFC though. The main contractor would be the overall project manager ensuring that work was completed to the agreed schedules.

This "stoppage" will have cost RD money.

• Options
    Summer would be the peak construction time, you'd have thought. Better weather and none of those players getting in the way...
  • Options
    Yeah, SHG, but the project manager still has to plan with the end client, ie CAFC.
  • Options

Summer would be the peak construction time, you'd have thought. Better weather and none of those players getting in the way...

Possibly but the season has ended. Wouldn't you think that contractors would be onto the vacant area as soon as they could .

Do we know who the main contractor is ?

• Options
    Has duch already paid everything upfront for this development?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

That would be batshit crazy. Suppose the contractor went bust ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dave2l said:

Or the club get relegated
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Doubt it somehow, have you any idea what Bob The Builder is worth as a franchise, worldwide?

Wonder if he is in the market for buying a football club...
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Or the club get relegated
    Not sure that would be at all relevant.
  • Options

Possibly but the season has ended. Wouldn't you think that contractors would be onto the vacant area as soon as they could .

Do we know who the main contractor is ?

Sorry, I meant summer as in now (I was thinking in football terms!)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Keohane claimed at the end of April (Fans' Forum meeting) that the next stage of the scheme was currently out to tender. I'd imagine works of this scale would have a considerable lead time, especially in the current market, but obviously defer to others who would know about these things.

This is at odds with previous timetable announcements, based on which work on the main building should have started.
  • Options

Keohane claimed at the end of April (Fans' Forum meeting) that the next stage of the scheme was currently out to tender. I'd imagine works of this scale would have a considerable lead time, especially in the current market, but obviously defer to others who would know about these things.

This is at odds with previous timetable announcements, based on which work on the main building should have started.

Something is very odd with all this. I will find out as much as I can and revert.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

This item on the OS from January mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-youth-development-premier-league-football-league-2925591.aspx#1rrIw6DQ8QV7wmgX.99 implies that the lead contractors and architect were already in place. It is simple to infer from that that contracts must have been signed
    However, a trawl through various construction news web sites finds no mention of who the builders might be. This seems odd as most contractors would be quick to blow their own trumpet when awarded a quite high value project.
    It all seems very odd.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Duch and Kat merked by cowboy builders :)

Interesting to know what finances have already been committed to this. So there is a stall to the working progress. At the moment it's a contracted agreement but still technically just a plan.