Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Builders in at the training ground

Comments

• Options
    perhaps the contract got torn up by mistake
  • Options
    Another question via the academy.

The home grown players that we have sold, released or kept, under this regime.

What players have been signed to the academy under Duchatelets ownership?

Maybe that's a timely thing as the regime may have signed someone that has huge potential that we don't know about.

I just want an honest account of how RD has officially improved our academy so far? That's his pride and passion right?

Well we won a cup a few nights ago with under 18s so that's positive but there is no evidence that anything can be credited to Roland's tenure. Our academy has always been decent. How has it been majorly enhanced then?

Or is it just a simple case that it's one of few things he chose not to alter or destroy.

• Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Keohane claimed at the end of April (Fans' Forum meeting) that the next stage of the scheme was currently out to tender. I'd imagine works of this scale would have a considerable lead time, especially in the current market, but obviously defer to others who would know about these things.

This is at odds with previous timetable announcements, based on which work on the main building should have started.

This item on the OS from January mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-youth-development-premier-league-football-league-2925591.aspx#1rrIw6DQ8QV7wmgX.99 implies that the lead contractors and architect were already in place. It is simple to infer from that that contracts must have been signed
    However, a trawl through various construction news web sites finds no mention of who the builders might be. This seems odd as most contractors would be quick to blow their own trumpet when awarded a quite high value project.
    It all seems very odd.
    I heard in early April from a very good source at Sparrows Lane that the work had been put on hold, along with an IT project (at The Valley). This concided with similar stories on here.
  • Options
    Well, we do all know how unreasonable the EPPP is and that the League were blackmailed by the FA and Premier League into accepting it.
    I wonder if more will be thinking along the lines of Brentford mobile.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-academy-restructuring-11.05.16-3109002.aspx
    So, effectively saying, sod that we're not paying to subsidise Cat One teams getting hoards of players on the cheap.
    I wonder if Roland has done a complete U-turn on the academy structure? And this has nothing to do with him selling up?
    Let's face it the FA would soon start getting worried if everybody shut down their lower cat academies and refused to take the premier league rejects on loan.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    Addickted said:

cafcfan said:

Keohane claimed at the end of April (Fans' Forum meeting) that the next stage of the scheme was currently out to tender. I'd imagine works of this scale would have a considerable lead time, especially in the current market, but obviously defer to others who would know about these things.

This is at odds with previous timetable announcements, based on which work on the main building should have started.

This item on the OS from January mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-youth-development-premier-league-football-league-2925591.aspx#1rrIw6DQ8QV7wmgX.99 implies that the lead contractors and architect were already in place. It is simple to infer from that that contracts must have been signed
    However, a trawl through various construction news web sites finds no mention of who the builders might be. This seems odd as most contractors would be quick to blow their own trumpet when awarded a quite high value project.
    It all seems very odd.
    I heard in early April from a very good source at Sparrows Lane that the work had been put on hold, along with an IT project (at The Valley). This concided with similar stories on here.
    The Construction Contract would be a single contract to include all the building works with a Main Contractor and various Sub-contractors controlled by the Main Contractor.

Unless you had the skills at the Club to Project Manage the job from design to completion, there is no way this would be done in stages, with gaps in between...... unless there were issues with finances and funding could only be released following on from successful completion of each stage.

The most likely scenario is that the Project is on hold to prevent further expenditure. This ties up with the project to upgrade the IT systems at The Valley which I've been told is also on hold.

Both these scenarios smell of the previous regime's tactics of no expenditure prior to their sale of the Club.
    I was assuming that the pitches and related groundworks wouldn't necessarily be part of the same contract as the building.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The official version is that the work continues but as it was going to miss the audit deadline for Cat 1 the schedule was relaxed.

Don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options

I heard they've been through six different contractors, mainly because RD wants to oversee the brick laying process via live feed from Belgium. Meire was heard saying they've made the correct decision everytime and this is shown by seeing how much work is currently going on at Sparrows Lane.

It is true VG, KM has told every contractor that she wants the roof completed first and that they will then have to build the rest at a later date...
    That is so perverse you could actually imagine her saying it lol
  • Options
    rikofold said:

The official version is that the work continues but as it was going to miss the audit deadline for Cat 1 the schedule was relaxed.

Do you think there could actually be any truth in that?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Completion next summer ...so, in less than 8 months it's already looking like the Summer 2017 deadline may be missed?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-sparrows-lane-training-ground-planning-approved-2696338.aspx

• Options
    I cannot track down the name of the main contractor anywhere ...not easy to unravel this one.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

It would make zero sense from a construction point of view to 'relax' the schedule. The longer the project goes on for, the more it costs. If they have 'relaxed' the schedule then there'll be another reason behind it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    stonemuse said:

I cannot track down the name of the main contractor anywhere ...not easy to unravel this one.

The architect is Belgian (or Dutch) I believe. Could the contractor be too? I'm assuming that would add significantly to the costs.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

rikofold said:

It would make zero sense from a construction point of view to 'relax' the schedule. The longer the project goes on for, the more it costs. If they have 'relaxed' the schedule then there'll be another reason behind it.
    Several people have told me you can't get Category One as a League One club, but I haven't been able to verify that. Don't think any club has anyway, because the costs are enormous in the context of L1 turnover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rikofold said:

Several people have told me you can't get Category One as a League One club, but I haven't been able to verify that. Don't think any club has anyway, because the costs are enormous in the context of L1 turnover.
    My brother was told that by a couple of people in the West Stand bar some weeks ago. Doesn't mean it's true of course, but would make sense in view of the cost.

However,still cannot get my head around the timelines of the main contractor / developer. It would not be easy for them to just stop work as many sub-contacts and guarantees would have been agreed way in advance. There would be financial penalties for this.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

stonemuse said:

The architect is Belgian (or Dutch) I believe. Could the contractor be too? I'm assuming that would add significantly to the costs.
    If its a Main contractor 'turn key' contract, its not to the contractors benefit to slow down or 'relax' the timetable. quite the reverse - they want to build out as quick as they can to make their profit in as short a time as possible. If Cafc have told them to 'relax', i suspect penalties would be payable to the contractor.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

rikofold said:

I, too, have looked and failed to find anything. The "rules" document is huge. image
    It is of note that staff such as a doctor are essential and cat status can be removed or suspended if criteria are not being met.
    Just reading that document gives a clear understanding as to why either Cat 1 or 2 status would be very difficult for a lower league club to afford to maintain for, say, more than one season.
    Edited to add sorry that link didn't work.
  • Options
    To stop spending on a contract:

The Biulder will have "entitlement within the contract" every contract in the real world (JCT/NEC/etc) will have this provision.

The QS's (Quantity Surveyors) of this world will be busy finding the mother of a claim, kitchen sink and the whole works. The client will be very exposed to all manner of legitimate costs:

Mobilisation, demobilisation, loss of revenue, loss of profitability, lost of overhead recovery, for the entire contractual chain and possibly damage to reputation.

Dreadfully weak position for the client the exact opposite for the Biulder and of course he will be happy to represent all of his sub contractors regards thier entitlement!

I know that this will hurt!

Having never been to Scarrows Lane (some bugger cancelled my invite) I'll ask the obvious.

Is there not a biulders Board telling the world who's doing the Biuld?
  • Options

To stop spending on a contract:

The Biulder will have "entitlement within the contract" every contract in the real world (JCT/NEC/etc) will have this provision.

The QS's (Quantity Surveyors) of this world will be busy finding the mother of a claim, kitchen sink and the whole works. The client will be very exposed to all manner of legitimate costs:

Mobilisation, demobilisation, loss of revenue, loss of profitability, lost of overhead recovery, for the entire contractual chain and possibly damage to reputation.

Dreadfully weak position for the client the exact opposite for the Biulder and of course he will be happy to represent all of his sub contractors regards thier entitlement!

I know that this will hurt!

Having never been to Scarrows Lane (some bugger cancelled my invite) I'll ask the obvious.

Is there not a biulders Board telling the world who's doing the Biuld?

Proving very difficult to find this detail.
  • Options
    There must be some sort of painters in, CEO related joke in the offing.
  • Options
    The site will have been registered with the HSE for CDM purposes I'll have a nose around.
  • Options

The site will have been registered with the HSE for CDM purposes I'll have a nose around.

Cadburys Dairy Milk ?
  • Options
    Not funny.