Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Builders in at the training ground

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016

The site will have been registered with the HSE for CDM purposes I'll have a nose around.

Tried that without luck.

Don't forget the CDM Regulations changed recently - they may have to resubmit to get their F10 for the demolition/construction phase.

Would expect a JCT Contract with named or nominated Sub Contractors set up for this kind of work. The value would also mean if there was a tender for the works they would need to go through the OJEU process.

Sorry, but I know next to nothing about Belgium Contract Law - can't imagine it would be significantly different.

Any changes to the agreed Contract Programme will cost an absolute fortune though.

• Options

The site will have been registered with the HSE for CDM purposes I'll have a nose around.

Cadburys Dairy Milk ?
    Construction Design and Management Regulations.

A complicated and totally unnecessary process of ensure H&S and welfare of staff on Building sites is to the highest standards.

Basically a paper exercise to make sure all necessary Risk Assessments and Method Statements are in place which is signed off by HSE to say OK go ahead.

I understand the HSE has eight inspectors to cover all construction throughout the South East of England. Just imagine the volume and varying sizes of work they have to inspect out there - from Doris's two storey extension to CrossRail and the next thousand storey ego trip some middle eastern or Chinese potentate wants to blott the London landscape out with.

It's only really effective if the shit hits the fan.
  • Options

rikofold said:

The official version is that the work continues but as it was going to miss the audit deadline for Cat 1 the schedule was relaxed.

Don't shoot the messenger.

This is highly unlikely. There would be considerable costs involved for the contractors in mobilisation of plant etc. Additionally the cost of materials would be going up considerably with delay.

There a smelly rat here somewhere.
    I wonder what his name is ?

• Options
    Our fellow trapdoor-sufferers Bolton used to have a Category 1 academy but downgraded in 2015 to save £1 million a year. They are now thinking of downgrading again, prompting the BW Supporters Trust to consider ways of putting money into the academy.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14493147.Trust_fund_may_aid_Lostock_academy/
  • Options

Our fellow trapdoor-sufferers Bolton used to have a Category 1 academy but downgraded in 2015 to save £1 million a year. They are now thinking of downgrading again, prompting the BW Supporters Trust to consider ways of putting money into the academy.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14493147.Trust_fund_may_aid_Lostock_academy/

Interesting
  • Options
    CDM (Construction Design Management) a build regulation thing means, that any largish job needs a Planning Supervisor appointment and notification to the Health Safety Exec.
  • Options
    Judging by Bolton that looks like the Academy gone then, lines up with the other "known" cost savings Scouting, Safety Office, PR person, Commercial Manager, Crisis Manager plus others and of course Team Manager.

He's stopped spending money cos the toxic twat is planning to be gone?
  • Options
    The "You can't get Cat 1 in league 1" argument doesn't hold water.

Even if that is the rule the build won't be finished until next summer. The club must at least expect to have a go at promotion before then even if we know that they lack the common sense to build a club and team able to do that.

If, and it still isn't clear if this is the case, the work has stopped or even to quote the bully boy coward Tony Keohone "relaxed" then we really are in a bad way.

The training ground was one of the few, perhaps only, good long term projects this regime has promised to do and started and now it could be stopped.

Meanwhile the training ground is, to quote JBG, "Shit", the facilities outdated and now half built. The players are eating in portacabins and the Community Trust (that's the trust that does all the good work that Katrien falsely claims credit) is in temporary offices.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

I cannot track down the name of the main contractor anywhere ...not easy to unravel this one.

The architect is Belgian (or Dutch) I believe. Could the contractor be too? I'm assuming that would add significantly to the costs.
    Logically you'd think that that would significantly add to the costs. But these aren't the sort of contractors that you call on and off to undertake specific projects. These are network contractors under contract to Melexis and strategically deployed wherever they are most needed. So as well as the Sparrows Lane redevelopment they'll also be putting a roof on the stadium at Ujpest, a row of shops in at Alcorcon, a hot tub and permanent barbecue at Katie's house and a new duck tape rack for Roly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

stonemuse said:

I cannot track down the name of the main contractor anywhere ...not easy to unravel this one.

The architect is Belgian (or Dutch) I believe. Could the contractor be too? I'm assuming that would add significantly to the costs.
    Logically you'd think that that would significantly add to the costs. But these aren't the sort of contractors that you call on and off to undertake specific projects. These are network contractors under contract to Melexis and strategically deployed wherever they are most needed. So as well as the Sparrows Lane redevelopment they'll also be putting a roof on the stadium at Ujpest, a row of shops in at Alcorcon, a hot tub and permanent barbecue at Katie's house and a new duck tape rack for Roly.
    Architects might be from overseas and even the main contractor although I doubt it but the subbies won't be.

Putting off, relaxing or whatever they care to call it will have a cost. Implies to me that RD doesn't want to spend money he might not recoup in a sale.

• Options
    The planning docs https://google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/PAWS/media_id_11521/charlton_athletic_training_ground_report.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiV1tr6kN7MAhVJF8AKHQ8xDnQQFggnMAU&usg=AFQjCNEy63KSXknyrr04fht8Zm-peK1emw&sig2=vilLh_kjWlg7tetIdjTvvg
    Indicate the architects were HB Architects based in Rugby. Again theircweb site is silent on Charlton in its client list. (Even Dunchurch Infant School gets a mention.)
    Unique.
  • Options

Stig said:

stonemuse said:

Architects might be from overseas and even the main contractor although I doubt it but the subbies won't be.

Putting off, relaxing or whatever they care to call it will have a cost. Implies to me that RD doesn't want to spend money he might not recoup in a sale.

I agree, but to me it means that a sale is potentially more imminent than is publicly acknowledged. RD and those who speak for him maintain that he is there for the long run. KM's comments in Dublin about selling on "the future stars of the Premier League" is one of the few concrete insights into the plans of this regime. If investing in the academy and training ground is scaling back, to me that says that RD is scaling back spending on his business model for the club, which for me means he's contemplating a sale.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Stig said:

stonemuse said:

I agree, but to me it means that a sale is potentially more imminent than is publicly acknowledged. RD and those who speak for him maintain that he is there for the long run. KM's comments in Dublin about selling on "the future stars of the Premier League" is one of the few concrete insights into the plans of this regime. If investing in the academy and training ground is scaling back, to me that says that RD is scaling back spending on his business model for the club, which for me means he's contemplating a sale.
    That's the best case scenario. More worrying is that he's just cutting costs as a result of the relegation, which is to be expected if he wants to run the club at a profit first and foremost. Death by 1000 cuts ...
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Stig said:

stonemuse said:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Stig said:

stonemuse said:

Well that's what it seems to me too. I suppose RD could be delaying expenditure on this and the IT project while a party goes through DD ? Neither directly impact on essential planning for next season which has to be done regardless of my conspiracy theory.

If DD comes to nothing then work resumes or a new buyer picks it up.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Even if that is the rule the build won't be finished until next summer. The club must at least expect to have a go at promotion before then even if we know that they lack the common sense to build a club and team able to do that.

If, and it still isn't clear if this is the case, the work has stopped or even to quote the bully boy coward Tony Keohone "relaxed" then we really are in a bad way.

The training ground was one of the few, perhaps only, good long term projects this regime has promised to do and started and now it could be stopped.

Meanwhile the training ground is, to quote JBG, "Shit", the facilities outdated and now half built. The players are eating in portacabins and the Community Trust (that's the trust that does all the good work that Katrien falsely claims credit) is in temporary offices.

Isn't the assessment mid-season, though?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Even so, if it could be a Cat 1 but has to be Cat 2 because of our league then what's the harm in that? It just means we'll get Cat 1 as soon as we go back up instead of having to go back up and then start the building work and wait for 2 years.

I can see both sides of this.

It makes sense as an exit strategy for him to delay building work to see if we'll get promotion this year and if not then sell the club without having pumped in money.

But I could also see him having simply cut spending whilst we're in L1 as a cost cutting measure to break even and then continue whilst we're pulling in more money in the Championship with no intention of selling the club.

Tricky and we will never know what's going on in his little mind.
  • Options

Yes, but they are going to miss that anyway.

There is no value in stopping now other than to save the planned expenditure.

Meanwhile it is like living in a half built house and all the best summer building time (good weather, not so many people about) is being wasted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The training ground was one of the few, perhaps only, good long term projects this regime has promised to do and started and now it could be stopped."

What about Target 20K?

And the sofa?

:-)
  • Options
    Whilst it's more than fair to say not a lot is going on, is it simply that the next phase involves shifting the pitches used during the season and demolishing the small astro? They could not do that until now........ As the 18's and 21's were using this. Building work is always linked with delays. Even if the tenders are only going out, they will still include key dates that need to be delivered. Also did I read somewhere that part of the funding was coming from football trusts????
  • Options
    Other people working on the project:

From the latest planning application dated 10th of March.

Johnathan Richard Associates - Building Services Consultants
    Couch Consulting Engineers - Civil & Structural Engineering, doc related to drainage
    Sports Pitch Engineering - Pitch Design & Associated Services http://www.sports-pitch-engineering.nl/en/ have the project listed on their website.

All this may be known already.
  • Options

Whilst it's more than fair to say not a lot is going on, is it simply that the next phase involves shifting the pitches used during the season and demolishing the small astro? They could not do that until now........ As the 18's and 21's were using this. Building work is always linked with delays. Even if the tenders are only going out, they will still include key dates that need to be delivered. Also did I read somewhere that part of the funding was coming from football trusts????

I was thinking the same thing but surely that would mean that work would have started full tilt this week, or I suppose possibly today as the U-18s finished on Monday and it's possible that forced a pushback in construction timing.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The planning docs https://google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/PAWS/media_id_11521/charlton_athletic_training_ground_report.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiV1tr6kN7MAhVJF8AKHQ8xDnQQFggnMAU&usg=AFQjCNEy63KSXknyrr04fht8Zm-peK1emw&sig2=vilLh_kjWlg7tetIdjTvvg
    Indicate the architects were HB Architects based in Rugby. Again theircweb site is silent on Charlton in its client list. (Even Dunchurch Infant School gets a mention.)
    Unique.

The project team are highly likely to have been asked to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement. As much as they would want to shout from the rooftops they are not permitted to at the moment.

The project team are experienced in these sorts of designs - ie high-end stadia, training facilities etc

They are all based in the UK.

Infrastructure works for the sites services - which takes a bloody long time - are ongoing. It's very difficult to figure out a cost effective way of getting power to the site without digging everything up at a cost of millions and UKPN aren't exactly helpful or quick to respond.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

Unique.

The project team are highly likely to have been asked to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement. As much as they would want to shout from the rooftops they are not permitted to at the moment.

The project team are experienced in these sorts of designs - ie high-end stadia, training facilities etc

Infrastructure works for the sites services - which takes a bloody long time - are ongoing. It's very difficult to figure out a cost effective way of getting power to the site without digging everything up at a cost of millions and UKPN aren't exactly helpful or quick to respond.
    Thankyou

• Options
    Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

Unique.

Thanks, so work is ongoing then?

I'm not in construction but understand that it is a complicated and easily disrupted process.