Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1 - 0 Barnet - Post match reaction

Comments

• Options
    Most disappointing was those like Abbott and especially McCormack didn't perform when given the opportunity to shine. In my opinion McCormack was shocking and spent most of the time arguing with colleagues over his non-marking from corners. Stav, if he were here, and Warren would have done better. Worry that with a couple of players out we look a shadow of our former selves. A couple of key injuries and a suspension here and there and we'll be struggling. Get you money on a one nil home win on Saturday, seems we can only win by that margin at home. Less home goals this season than the last two away games, certainly the last three anyway. A poor poor night but thank god for Robbie or we'd have a free day Saturday week. Corny or Luton will fancy their chances after watching that tripe.
  • Options
    Well this is a little worrying, I've just got in from work and come straight on here for the result and to read the match thread. I thought we might suffer a bit after saturday, but from reading the match thread and peoples views on this thread, we sound as though we were lucky to win it!!I I thought those that were drafted in would 'step up to the plate' and show Parky what they could do.....seems as though I was wrong. Oh well we won I suppose so that's a positive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]what this shows are the following things:

1) we can go from the slick football of sat to sunday park football overnight
    2) leave just a couple of the regulars out and we go to peices
    3) Abbott is not up to League one standard
    4) Basey could get back into our back 4

5) Footballers aren't machines - and football isn't a computer game.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]what this shows are the following things:

1) we can go from the slick football of sat to sunday park football overnight
    2) leave just a couple of the regulars out and we go to peices
    3) Abbott is not up to League one standard
    4) Basey could get back into our back 4

5) Footballers aren't machines - and football isn't a computer game.

1. It wasn't overnight, and Sunday Park football is pretty open from my experience!
    2. Go to pieces? Like Peterborough did? Or Chelsea? A win is a win
    3. He hasn't had a run in the side and needs to play with another striker, look at Berbatov in the past two seasons, play to his strengths and he will show you what he can do, I think he'll come good for us.
    4. No he couldn't, else we would have offered him a better contract and he would still be in it! I'd take Dailly, Fry, Doherty, Fortune, Llera, Francis and Solly over him, so where would he fit in?

5. Exactly. And in real life, there is no reset button when it all goes wrong, so when we win, why not just enjoy the fact that we're through to the next round? Better than last season, anyway!
  • Options
    Dragged my sorry carcass to this one as I am feeling much sprightlier since the Op. Only two names to mention as far as we were concerned, Reid and Elliott. The rest was absolute garbage. Hold on, FA Cup? Lower League Oppo at home ? I have seen this all before somewhere ? Luton or Corby will be shaking in their boots......and special mention to the Barnet crowd for attempting to generate an atmosphere tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Scraped through, sounded like Robbie Elliot earned a few pats on the back tonight.
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Not many glamorous ties tonight but of the 11 Cup replays, we had the highest attendance.

LOL, Oooah must be doing his nut in!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]The League is and will always be our Bread and Butter

How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

I'm pretty certain the 3rd tier is NOT where we've spent most of our time.
  • Options
    As in league matches ... as opposed to cup matches...

Not sure where you are confused?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Jesus did we scraped through. Also to point out, Abbott's easy chance towards the end that could have made it 2-0, lost me £50. Arghhhhhhhh. Oh well, still the run continues :-)

Good old Abbott - I had money on 1-0!!
  • Options
    Elliott was outstanding five top drawer saves ,Barnet where excellent cant believe they are bottoim of league 2 playing like that they will start toclimb the table ,parky was shaking his head at the crowd when most cheered when abbott got taken off and to be fair the crowd where bang on he was awful ,all in all scrappy but we are through .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How lucky were we last night,Barnet outstanding
  • Options
    Well done the addicks fans that turned up and elliot and reidy the only two of the players by the sound of it .....
    Seems elliot might be finding some form and that can only be good for the cause , a decent keeper and we'll be promoted and if he's turning into one all well and good cos as tonights attendance shows , playing against shite football teams will see our crowds continue to drift the wrong way
    As for the FA cup 30% 4th round and beyond 65% we bow out where we should be entering the competitiom 5% we lose against a pub side with away support that puts ours to shame
  • Options
    Well done the addicks fans that turned up and elliot and reidy the only two of the players by the sound of it .....
    Seems elliot might be finding some form and that can only be good for the cause , a decent keeper and we'll be promoted and if he's turning into one all well and good cos as tonights attendance shows , playing against shite football teams will see our crowds continue to drift the wrong way
    As for the FA cup 30% 4th round and beyond 65% we bow out where we should be entering the competitiom 5% we lose against a pub side with away support that puts ours to shame
  • Options
    Point is Dave that I was making a comparison to put our result and performance in the wider context of league one promotion challengers v lower division sides. I could have mentioned Huddersfield v Cambridge also.

No need to be so deliberately obtuse.

As for Abbott he started very well. Great take, turn and pass to put Reid clear. Then when barnet pressed our 433 became 451 and he was isolated. From then on he was poor. Looked better when Benson came on but other than the good move leading to his frernch fry (a poor chip). He did nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Elliott was outstanding five top drawer saves ,Barnet where excellent cant believe they are bottoim of league 2 playing like that they will start toclimb the table ,parky was shaking his head at the crowd when most cheered when abbott got taken off and to be fair the crowd where bang on he was awful ,all in all scrappy but we are through .

Glad parky was shaking his head and supporting the player...
  • Options
    Not at our best by a country mile last night but another win and clean sheet nonetheless.

Top display in goal by Elliot, and in my opinion that performance was one of the best I have seen by a Charlton goalkeeper in the past 30 years.
  • Options
    the atmosphere is dead because we closed the covered end, next time make the feckin old wrinklies in the east and west come and sit in the north, I found it very hard to even voice a opionion last night which is probably lucky as Abbott is a joke of a footballer, fat slow and shit in front of goal, not a lot going for him really as a centre forward . Elliott was top drawer.
  • Options
    By no means a good performance but we got the job done.
  • Options
    yep at the end of the day we are through and after last year at Northwitch the result is the be all and end all.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to recall a home game that has resulted in a less deserving victory for us. Barnet thrashed us in the 2nd half last night and but for Elliott's display we would have lost by several goals. It's great that we won but the display left me feeling like it was a defeat. Sadly, Fortune, Reid and McCormack all looked way off the pace, whilst Abbott was starved of any service from wide areas. So none of the less regular players have put their name forward for a start on Saturday. Apart from Elliott, there were some good performances (Fry, Dailly, Francis) but the midfield was non-existent and even Racon was chasing shadows in the 2nd half.

Barnet on the other hand were magnificent and dominated us for an entire 45 minutes in the 2nd half and they didn't do badly 1st half either, with Elliott making one his best saves ever when he dived to his right (they also hit the post in the 1st half too). Their supporters will be gutted that they didn't win easily, let alone not score a goal but their team looks to have turned the corner in the last few games and I wish them well because they came to play football. Good luck to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]the atmosphere is dead because we closed the covered end, next time make the feckin old wrinklies in the east and west come and sit in the north, I found it very hard to even voice a opionion last night which is probably lucky as Abbott is a joke of a footballer, fat slow and shit in front of goal, not a lot going for him really as a centre forward . Elliott was top drawer.

Agree we should keep the North open, at least the upper, it's the only way to generate atmosphere in these games. The reason they don't do this I suppose is that their (east & west) season tickets are more expensive and everyone wants to get in the corporate boxes for Charlton Vs Barnet, 1st round replay...
  • Options
    I couldn't go last night, but I went to the first game and it was poor and sounds like it was just as bad last night.

Not too fussed we played poorly, especially after thumping Huddersfield and Swindon away. We have a 2nd round home leg which we have a good chance of making it into the 3rd round to get a tie with a Prem club.
  • Options
    Winning ugly.. sign of a good team.. and if this sort of run is going to continue we are gonna have to keep doing it...
  • Options
    I didn't go because of work, but it sounds like Grant Basey made his point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I didn't go because of work, but it sounds like Grant Basey made his point.

I might be wrong and I know he was playing centre back but wasn't it Basey that Reid tucked up for our goal? Reid destroyed their left hand side for ten minutes in the first half, should have stayed there the whole game.
  • Options
    We got the ball in the net more times than our opponent therefore a deserved win
  • Options
    yes your wrong it was the left back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I didn't go because of work, but it sounds like Grant Basey made his point.

Did he - what point was that? I didn't see him do anything special.
  • Options
    free kick was pretty tasty
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]free kick was pretty tasty

I was sitting in front of some guys who sounded like they'd just come straight from the set of the Inbetweeners and one of them said that all Basey was good at was free kicks. I think that's a bit harsh and I can't believe you can get to be a professional footballer just because of that.

Anyway, the one I remember from last night sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.