Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1 - 0 Barnet - Post match reaction

Comments

• Options
    the one i remember last night elliott clawed it away from the top corner
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    that is the best ive seen elliot play! some top top saves... first half was pretty crap from both sides, slow start but well taken goal from reid... was expecting us to come out and kill the game in the second, but it was barnet who took it by the scruff of the neck, they should feel a bit unlucky today if im being honest. but its the f.a. cup, another win and were in the next round so thats all that matters!

the bog roll was back in the east and the stewards chucked the young lad out... how dare the young guns try and have a laugh at the footy together! well done the stewards for stamping out what could have been a fatal injury caused by afore mentioned bog roll!?

the last thing we need is any sort of atmosphere being generated... though i can proudly say that i started a couple of songs in the east stand last night, im happy with that (smiley face)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Point is Dave that I was making a comparison to put our result and performance in the wider context of league one promotion challengers v lower division sides. I could have mentioned Huddersfield v Cambridge also

Its a good point, too. i understand that those brave souls who went, will be pretty hacked off with our performance, but we sit here thinking that Huddersfield are a Good Team, and Brighton are Different Class - and their fans will be raging this morning.

On top of that Brighton have had a draining extra time, which we hope will affect them on Saturday. And they picked up a red card, albeit only the 52 year old Taricco, who will presumably crawl back under his rock.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    parky was shaking his head at the crowd when most cheered when abbott got taken off and to be fair the crowd where bang on he was awful

Glad parky was shaking his head and supporting the player...

It's a shame that some fans have to undermine a player in their own team.

What good does it do, except further destroy a player's confidence?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Point is Dave that I was making a comparison to put our result and performance in the wider context of league one promotion challengers v lower division sides. I could have mentioned Huddersfield v Cambridge also

Its a good point, too. i understand that those brave souls who went, will be pretty hacked off with our performance, but we sit here thinking that Huddersfield are a Good Team, and Brighton are Different Class - and their fans will be raging this morning.

On top of that Brighton have had a draining extra time, which we hope will affect them on Saturday. And they picked up a red card, albeit only the 52 year old Taricco, who will presumably crawl back under his rock.

I don't think it is a good point. The implication is that last night's woeful performance is in some way excused because other so-called 'better' sides struggled against lower opposition. There is no underlying rule which says that better teams will inevitably struggle in the way that we did.

Henry quotes Woking v Brighton to pre-empt any criticism of Parkinson, and draws on Huddersfield v Cambridge. From last night I will counter with Port Vale v Dartford, Peterborough v Stockport, Vauxhall Motors v Hartlepool, Walsall v Fleetewood and any number of ties from the 1st Round - Sheff Wed v Southport, Carlisle v Tipton etc.

Selective examples to support a pre-conceived notion ... that last night was nothing to do with Parkinson, just 'the way it is'. Sorry ... 'wider context'.

Didn't Large get earache a few days ago for doing much the same thing?
  • Options
    I thought we won ...but based on some of the posts here I'm beginning to wonder
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]I thought we won ...but based on some of the posts here I'm beginning to wonder

We did .......... but we didn't win 5-1.

So evidently a 1-0 win (and through to the next round) isn't enough.
  • Options
    Pleased with the win,through to the next round,we were awful and didnt come out of 1st gear let alone 2nd. Thought McCormack was woeful,the game seemed to pass him by and i felt for Abbott,all we were doing was launching it long to him,he was winning the headers and flicking it on to.....no-one because he had no support. Barnet shouldnt be bottom for much longer if they continue to play like that. Elliot was outstanding,MOM by a country mile.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    some people like a good moan - probably got the the Mail under their arm, a typical below par cup performance from us but a win's a win and we aren't too used to that in the cup. I'm happy with that, expected us to lose whatever our starting XI.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]some people like a good moan

And some like to dig out others purely for the sake of it. Ridiculous.

Pleased Robbie is coming into a run of form, staying fit i feel is the most important thing for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    parky was shaking his head at the crowd when most cheered when abbott got taken off and to be fair the crowd where bang on he was awful

Agreed Oggy. Some right winkers amongst us.
  • Options
    I thought we were awful, last night. The spine of the team was woeful, Fortune, Mccormack and Abbott. Waggy looked injured from the start. The only two players who played to their potential were Fry and Elliot. Without Elliot we would have conceded 3 or 4.It does worry me that if we get some injuries in crucial areas ie centre of midfield and Benson we do not have the players to replace them. I was watching Abbotts movement last night.Which was non existant. When we bought Mccormack i thought he was a hardman,but he is as hard as trifle. He was brushed off the ball too many times. As for Jon Fortune he was given no end of trouble by Steve Kabba, and Christian Dailly's covering got him out of a few problems.I thought Barnet were a credit to their manager and their fans. The left winger Williams and Steve Kabba look like they could play at a higher level. The bottom line is we got a win, but if we play like that on Saturday we will get turned over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Agreed Oggy. Some right winkers amongst us.

me personaally i didnt cheer when he was taken off but i must say he was terrible, as for the confidence thing im not aving it i just think the guy isnt good enough .
  • Options
    Here's the thing. We got the win, we're still in. There's still the chance of a big money-spinner. It was a poor performance. In the past, in my opinion, Parky has been guilty of taking a victory and failing to treat it like a defeat and has consequently walked into problems in the next matches. If you learn and adapt from your lucky wins in exactly the same way as you do your defeats, then they're wonderful. If you plough on hoping it's all going to be OK in the next match, then they're a curse in disguise.

All this TalkSport/Sky guff about winning when you're not playing well being a good thing, is poorly reasoned nonsense, or at least only applicable to the top clubs.
  • Options
    Abbott ran his legs off last night, held the ball up and won a few in the air but the service from midfield was almost non-existent.

He is not the type of player to create anything for himself so much of his movement was to no avail. That, combined with a very poor finish from a good chance, is why people are slagging him off.

If the midfield turns up Abbott will do a job at this level in my opinion but he does need a midfield which he didn't have last night.
  • Options
    just couldnt get into the game last night, just felt like a friendly or when we played in the anglo italian cup, no atmosphere at all in the home ends sorry sides.. thought the booing of pavel was a bit rough, yes he was poor but booing aint gona help him, he is million times better than akpo who still hasnt learnt how to jump. was right down the front during the first half and the only thing apart from the goal that stood out was mccormack constantly pointing and shouting at his team mates when to be frank he was doing feck all. Grant basey played well even though he looked like hes put on a bit of timber and there goalie made a couple of not bad saves. moved seats after half time for a better view, and have to admit for the first time in my life ever myself and the friends i was with made the smart choice to leave early and head back to the warm pub which in hindsight was a truely great idea. i just hope that whoever we play next they open the north upper as we really needed an atmosphere last night and sadly there was more on the moon than in se7 last night.
  • Options
    1-0 home win becoming a regular occurence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]1-0 home win becoming a regular occurence.

I was surprised I got 5-1 on that result, and obviously delighted when it finished that way!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys, Barnet fan here.

Delighted with our performance last night, especially second half. I was expecting better from you, but I guess that's what happens when we're bottom of the football league and you're doing so well, I wish we could win football games playing badly. If not for one individual error (by a right back playing left back, disaster waiting to happen :( ), and some great goalkeeping we'd have won. That said, you missed some easy chances even we might have scored. None of your players stood out except your keeper, perhaps partly due to underperforming but credit to our players and midfield especially for their battle and making it very hard for you.

Some really nice comments on here and on the way back to the car after the game. I had a really enjoyable evening despite the result, love your ground and wish you all the best in your promotion chase (would like to see Corby do it in the cup now though :P ) Anyone know how many Barnet fans travelled?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: barnet88[/cite]Hey guys, Barnet fan here.

Delighted with our performance last night, especially second half. I was expecting better from you, but I guess that's what happens when we're bottom of the football league and you're doing so well, I wish we could win football games playing badly. If not for one individual error (by a right back playing left back, disaster waiting to happen :( ), and some great goalkeeping we'd have won. None of your players stood out except your keeper, perhaps partly due to underperforming but credit to our players and midfield especially for their battle and making it very hard for you.

Some really nice comments on here and on the way back to the car after the game. I had a really enjoyable evening despite the result, love your ground and wish you all the best in your promotion chase (would like to see Corby do it in the cup now though :P )

Play like that in the league and you will soon be out of trouble.

Marshall impressed me. Quick and tricky. Did he have an exceptionally good game or does he do that most weeks? Our old boy Basey wasn't bad either. He was obviously fired up against his old club but how has he done generally?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the poor performance is somewhat excused by our recent form. I wasn't greatly surprised but would be if we played like that on Saturday. Could be a very useful game if it tells Parky that he needs Sodje ahead of Abbott in his thoughts. We were probably playing at 90% to Barnet's 100%. That's undertsandable as the league is the important thing. We won - deservedly or not and that is a good sign. We ebat Yeovil on Saturday and yesterdays game is just letters and numbers on the record.
  • Options
    to the barnet fan... i reckon you had about 2-300 fans there last night by the look of it, just a guess!?
  • Options
    When was the last time we were in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]When was the last time we were in the2ndRound of the FA Cup?

80/81.
  • Options
    Did we go out away to Ipswich that year? I remember going to Portman road in the cup when we were a 3rd division team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Did we go out away to Ipswich that year? I remember going to Portman road in the cup when we were a 3rd division team.

Yes, second round was home v Bournemouth I think. 1-0 down and won 2-1. Lost in 5th round to Ipswich 2-0 away. I think we were both top of our divisions at the time, but neither finished top.
  • Options
    I wasn't there but having spoken to a few people who were, and read what's written on here - it seems the biggest problem was the midfield being bypassed by the long ball out of defence.

Obviously the ball wasn't sticking up front with Abbot isolated from 2 wide wingers and outnumbered by defenders, so was coming straight back putting the defence under renewed pressure.

Missing a couple of key players particularly in the spine of the team no doubt didn't help, Waggy carrying that injury perhaps shouldn't have started - and don't forget there's maybe an element of an extra game nobody wanted, which can cause a lack of sharpness mentally as well as physically.

It does sound like the squad players who stepped in - McCormack, Fortune, Abbott and even Reidy despite his goal - didn't shine individually. And don't underestimate the fact that Barnet, a goal down and chasing the game, had nothing to lose at that point - so of course they've got to go for it or bust.

Robbie was evidently the star performer and without his stunning display, we may well have conceded.
    But despite others in the team struggling, it does appear that all players stuck to their task without playing particularly well individually - otherwise we would have rolled over and lost.

So credit at least to the team effort, even it was a less than sparkling performance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Did we go out away to Ipswich that year? I remember going to Portman road in the cup when we were a 3rd division team.

Yes, second round was home v Bournemouth I think. 1-0 down and won 2-1. Lost in 5th round to Ipswich 2-0 away. I think we were both top of our divisions at the time, but neither finished top.

2 great awaydays at Bournemouth and Ipswich with big Charlton followings
  • Options
    Concerned by how the fringe players (Abbott, Fortune, McCormack) played last night. Strangely, I don't rate Abbott but was quite impressed with his hold up play in the first half but he had little support. We were overrun in the second half but he did have a great chance and I can't understand why he tried the chip.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]

2 great awaydays at Bournemouth and Ipswich with big Charlton followings

Bournemouth was at home. We played Harlow, Plymouth, Fulham and Ipswich away.