Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1 - 0 Barnet - Post match reaction

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]he did have a great chance and I can't understand why he tried the chip.

Some days they come off, and sometimes they don't.
  • Options
    Sat in the lower west which enabled me to here what was being said by the players, after the first foul throw by Brnet basey turned to the linesman and asked him if he was taking the piss, which was a bit rich considering how poor the throw was.

When Fortune came off he was grimacing holding / pointing to his ribs, so he may have been carrying an injury for someof the game. Reid scored a good goal and had a good game, but as the match wore on he was marked by three players and given little support, unfortunately because of the success of the team over the last few weeks I would still start him on the bench, Jackson on the left adds stability and he has not done badly creeping in and scoring.

Abbot got his jumping height for every ball just right, just the wrong timing, we could do with a few more reserve games for him or we will come unstuck through injuries. Not sure benson would have fared any better as the lone striker in the first half although he would have looked busier. I thought Sodje when he came on chased everything down and looked busier and worked better with benson, would def now have our striking order as Benson, Joe, Martin, Sodje, Abbot.

As a team we did not look interested and rarely chased down giving them too much time and space and the formation, which was not really for The valley was very poorly implemented
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]he did have a great chance and I can't understand why he tried the chip.

Given that he looks like a player bereft of any confidence, he surely would have been better smashing it across the keeper? It was a poor poor effort. Most of the people sitting round me were laughing rather than jeering. As was Uddin the Barnet centre half.
  • Options

But you look pretty stupid when they don't come off. If he'd hit it hard and missed he would have got less stick.
  • Options
    Bournemouth was at home. We played Harlow, Plymouth, Fulham and Ipswich away.

That'll teach me to read it properly ... lol

Bournemouth games must have been in league ... and probably a different year as well ;-)
  • Options
    Fair point, chaps.

Players who don't have pace often chip the keeper from range, rather than take the keeper on - I guess Abbott falls into that category, so no doubt it's something he would do regularly. He'll probably be the first to tell you, he completely messed up.

It happens.
  • Options
    To the Barnet fan and fans. Met one of you going to Underhill, great bloke, loves his club, loyal, knowledgeable and a good bloke, and a young woman on the tube afterwards, who said she would be at the Valley...great chat, and impressive that she goes to all Barnet away if it's 150 to 200 miles!! The Barnet fans were great last night, as was the team, Robbie had to play really well to save us. I really really hope Barnet survive and thrive based on my experience of the club and fans, and as far as I'm concerned one Barnet fan is worth 100 plastic Manure/Arsenal?Chelski etc fans. When we play Barnet I will always want us to win, otherwise Barnet I hope you win every other game you play. Keep the faith.
  • Options
    what really P****ss me off it that us supporeters who trouble to make the game report back what we thought (and over 95% have said the same thing) and then we get slated for it !!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we won..............whooppee do !!!!!!!!

No, I didn't expect us to wipe the floor with them and win 10-0 !!!!

What I do expect is that 11 men playing against another 11 men actually make a game of it............forget we had just come off a 5-1 win away to one of our rivals and that we were playing a team bottom of the league below us - anyone turning up to that game not knowing who were playing would have put us a few leagues below the opposition. We were out fought, out played and out classed. We could have very easily left last night sufffering a very humilating 5-1 defeat - and no-one could have complained.

So, if you didn't go last night..............SHUT UP - you weren;t there, you didn't witness it.

Another Pathetic, abject performance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Another Pathetic, abject performance
    Like the past 6 games you mean?
  • Options
    We won, we're through, worry about Yeovil now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I've accidentally landed on the Spurs board.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Play like that in the league and you will soon be out of trouble.

Marshall impressed me. Quick and tricky. Did he have an exceptionally good game or does he do that most weeks? Our old boy Basey wasn't bad either. He was obviously fired up against his old club but how has he done generally?[/cite]
    Really hope so but we have to start taking these chances. Recent games have been encouraging, two important players back from injury in Kabba and Basey seems to have made a massive difference, but we still need to get some results soon as confidence will be so fragile. McLeod back training is exciting whatever you lot think be interesting how he does and another important player to return in January. Marshall is exciting to watch, just put my opinion in the thread about him. Basey as said has been mostly injured but has looked very assured when he's played.

[quote][cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]To the Barnet fan and fans. Met one of you going to Underhill, great bloke, loves his club, loyal, knowledgeable and a good bloke, and a young woman on the tube afterwards, who said she would be at the Valley...great chat, and impressive that she goes to all Barnet away if it's 150 to 200 miles!! The Barnet fans were great last night, as was the team, Robbie had to play really well to save us. I really really hope Barnet survive and thrive based on my experience of the club and fans, and as far as I'm concerned one Barnet fan is worth 100 plastic Manure/Arsenal?Chelski etc fans. When we play Barnet I will always want us to win, otherwise Barnet I hope you win every other game you play. Keep the faith.[/quote]
    Aw cheers! :)
  • Options
    Highlight of the night... Plaayers aaron hand knitted cardigan henners would have been green with envy...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]So, if you didn't go last night..............SHUT UP - you weren;t there, you didn't witness it.

My God, Golfie ...... you are miserable old git.
    To think you've had to wait a whole month before you had something to moan about.

Let's hope you have to wait another month!

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]So, if you didn't go last night..............SHUT UP - you weren;t there, you didn't witness it.

My God, Golfie ...... you are miserable old git.
    To think you've had to wait a whole month before you had something to moan about.

Let's hope you have to wait another month!

;o)

I think Golfie missed a word out - it should have been 'another abject Cup performance.' It seems that over the past 10 years or so no matter how well we are playing in the league we have been poor in the cup games. But I'll still probably go to Luton (or Corby).
  • Options
    I seem to have forgotten, what has McLeod done to get booed last night?

Cheers

R
  • Options
    1. There are good performances with the right result, 2. Bad performances with the right result, 3. good performances with the wrong result and 4. bad performances with the wrong result. I think this order is right - i'd rather be entertained and win but will take a win over being entertained and losing - I think most would. So it's fair to say that in the last few weeks, most if not all of our performances have been in the first category. We can hardly moan when we have a performance in the second category thrown in, in a game we were not taking 100% seriously - yes we wanted to win but the league is our focus - I don't think that can be argued.

My point is that we can't really complain.
  • Options
    Though Christian Dailley played well ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Highlight of the night... Plaayers aaron hand knitted cardigan henners would have been green with envy...

I wondered how long it would take.

[cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I seem to have forgotten, what has McLeod done to get booed last night?

Cheers

R

I wondered that as well?
  • Options
    Me too, Plaayer .

Muttley has it just right. With 2 enforced changes and another important game on Saturday, no-one in a red shirt was going to take too many risks or bust a gut out there. The last thing Parky needed were further injuries from a cup match.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that McCormack was awful ! Can't remember him making a good tackle or a decent pass all night. Like others, I thought we'd found the new Nicky B when he played against Bournemouth & Orient but think he was badly missing in action at Exeter and it's been downhill when he's played ever since.....Knocked off the ball SO many times last night - wasn't this his opportunity to show what he can do ?

Just hoping our midfielders keep free from knocks and suspension if he's our only option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite] no-one in a red shirt was going to take too many risks or bust a gut out there

agree UNLESS your name is Abbott, Sodje etc but especially McCormack as you surely want to impress to force your way into the managers thoughts for the first team. On that performance I'd send McCormack on loan to a team in the BSP, if you can find one who'd want him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I seem to have forgotten, what has McLeod done to get booed last night?

Cheers

R

I can only assume, as one who did not boo him, that it was a combination of resentment at the fee we paid, his inflated wages for the little that he did, his stupidity in taking his shirt off and getting booked EVERY TIME he scored and that disgraceful elbow in the face of the Northwich Victoria player in last seasons cup game.

Other than that I can't think of any reason at all

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]no-one in a red shirt was going to take too many risks or bust a gut out there

agree UNLESS your name is Abbott, Sodje etc but especially McCormack as you surely want to impress to force your way into the managers thoughts for the first team. On that performance I'd send McCormack on loan to a team in the BSP, if you can find one who'd want him.

The only possible mitigation for the players is that the general apathy of our fans transmitted itself to the pitch.

I don't regard myself as an ultra by any means but even I found it unaturally quiet last night apart from the efforts of the Barnet fans.
  • Options
    Anyone there tell me whether did we actually play in a 4-3-3 formation (as OS says) or was Abbott up front by himself with Wagstaff and Reid in midfield. Sad, I know, but I'm intrigued as to whether the team really did line up in a formation I can't remember us playing for a long time.
  • Options
    Well, this must be officially classed as a cup run now........Better dust off my rosette. Funny how 3 days can bring supporters back down to earth. Okay, we played shit, We probably didn't deserve to win but who cares? Would it have been better if we'd played really well but ended up losing? Even the top teams have off-days. The true test of character is to dig in and come away with something.............

Seems there's no pleasing some people
  • Options
    Compared to our recent performances this was a let down in comparison. But we got through and that is all that matters in the cups.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Having driven to Northwich last year I can assure you that this was better, not much ,but better it was. Barnet were a lot better than Northwich yet we made it through. I heard nothing but complaints last night and some of the abuse of Abbott was nothing short of disgraceful. Is being called a C*** endlessly really going to make him play better?

If we had beaten Peterboro 1-0 and Barnet 5-1 we would all be happy. Yet our goal difference would not be as good and we would still be in the 2nd round.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]what really P****ss me off it that us supporeters who trouble to make the game report back what we thought (and over 95% have said the same thing) and then we get slated for it !!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we won..............whooppee do !!!!!!!!

No, I didn't expect us to wipe the floor with them and win 10-0 !!!!

What I do expect is that 11 men playing against another 11 men actually make a game of it............forget we had just come off a 5-1 win away to one of our rivals and that we were playing a team bottom of the league below us - anyone turning up to that game not knowing who were playing would have put us a few leagues below the opposition. We were out fought, out played and out classed. We could have very easily left last night sufffering a very humilating 5-1 defeat - and no-one could have complained.

So, if you didn't go last night..............SHUT UP - you weren;t there, you didn't witness it.

Presumably, you would be happy if you was a Barnet fan & lost as opposed to CAFC & won. I think we made a game of it as we WON.

Well of course you wouldn't as you appear to suffer from CAFC related depression.

Also, you might wish to take into account that only Elliot, Francis, Fry, Dailly & Racon were the only 1st teamers playing the majority of the game in their correct position & we have another more important game on Saturday.

Considering you go to most of the games you'd think you might have a bit of understanding of what it's all about by now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Though Christian Dailley played well ...

With you on that, can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

Although we didn't play particularly well, I actually enjoyed the game. To be honest I'd rather see a tight game than see us simply steamroller lower league teams (not that we ever do!)
  • Options
    Dailly was really good, so many important headers, made it look easy. It wasn't an enthralling game, and we as supporters went totally AWOL. For me, Abbott played quite well in the first half, hold up and positional play were good I thought, but his lack of timing on the headers is just more obvious than some of the other stuff he did so it's much easier to pick him out for what he didn't do rather then what he did.