Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emmas Commentary.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes true nla. The looks stuff is completely wrong. And glad LA agrees with me. Constructive criticism is the way. I didnt know yeovil had scored until she had finished rabbiting and they were probably back at the centre circle!

The look stuff is wrong really. So then is this:

A dig at someone else's looks
  • Options
    It's difficult to seperate out the personal stuff when you are editing a magazine or a TV show or, indeed, a website. But as a site for CAFC people, some comment is allowed. So, Emma, if you are reading this, have a listen to people like Mike Ingham, Pat Murphy, Jonathan Pierce and John Murray. Describe stuff, keep it simple. And remember your audience. It is small, and expert. Supporters who will know a lot about the players, and the team. Who mostly want to know where the ball is, who is nearest to it, what just happened. The personality stuff will be great when you are doing a Cup Final and less committed people are listening. But to get to that stage, concentrate on the basics.

You'll know that the phrase 'back to square one' possibly originated from early sports commentaries which were accompanied by a second voice intoning the position of the ball as based on a grid printed in the Radio Times. We're a little bit more sofisticated than that now, but, like I said, we mostly want to know just what's happening. Concentrate on that and you'll be ok.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]ive slagged off plenty of people.... You currently but i wouldnt mock your looks when im slagging you off so how about you get real!
    Fair enough
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]what an unnecessary nasty post melrose. Cos your a right stunner yourself
    Hang on

Still, agree that the original comments were a bit over the top, but I guess it's easy done when we're on the internet and irritated.
  • Options
    I agree with AFKA, when discussing a persons abilities their looks shouldn't come into it, I know, I've shagged lots of ugly women...
  • Options
    I don't give a fuck what she looks like. I care what she sounds like - and she sounds like shit. When I can't get to games, I just don't listen to them if she's commentating. That's the mark of a poor, poor broadcaster - and the BBC need to do something about it. It's not one of those 'marmite' things, like Alan Green (who polarises opinions) - she's just really, really bad at her job. And I don't give a toss if she's reading this - I don't want her commentating on my club because she ruins the experience of listening to matches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I don't give a fuck what she looks like. I care what she sounds like - and she sounds like shit. When I can't get to games, I just don't listen to them if she's commentating. That's the mark of a poor, poor broadcaster - and the BBC need to do something about it. It's not one of those 'marmite' things, like Alan Green (who polarises opinions) - she's just really, really bad at her job. And I don't give a toss if she's reading this - I don't want her commentating on my club because she ruins the experience of listening to matches.

100% agree. Ruins it for me when i tune in & it's Emma & Finch commentating - have never once had to turn back to her because the opposition commentary is worse, which says it all really!!!
  • Options
    Not only do you have to guess whether a goal has actually been scored, most of the time you don't even know which end of the pitch the ball is at. Yesterday when I guessed that Doherty might have scored a goal, I didn't realise that it was actually an own goal!!!
    Surely it's not too much to ask for a football commentator to inform their audience of the general location of the ball at any given time? If she could learn to say "goal" or even "it's a goal" that would be very helpful also.
    BTW Jonathon Fortune had to dispose of a dead fox, not a dead squirell as stated above, you see I was trying to pay attention despite it being well past 2am.
  • Options
    The comment that made me think twice was in the first half, someone (dont know who) must have played a long ball up the pitch and poor Emma got her words a bit muddled to say the least! "He thumps the ball up the Bitch!!!!" was what came out!!!! Followed by "obviously I didnt mean to say that!"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pc brigade are out in force once again.

Your trying to tell me, if a bloke commentated like this we wouldn't complain?

She just happens to be butt ugly aswell, it was only suggested as a "would ya", calm down fellas.

I didn't make the game yesterday, and was the 1st time i listened to her, she was awful, end-off. Who heard the little gem when Jacson scored, she said something about spurs before stating the goal.
  • Options
    She is awful but it will do, the thing that really frustrates me the most is when we score it takes her ages to say that we actually have and who scored it, like a massive pause.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just logged in and seen this thread. It has been interesting to read all the comments, and I have to agree that as a commentator she is, on most occassions, not the best. As you know I try to provide written updates on the 'live' action for those that cant hear/see the match. The job is made harder when she is commentating, just look at yesterdays match thread, I could only post a goal had been scored by Yeovil, but nothing about the build up as there was no commentry on the action at the time! This happened twice yesterday and is clearly not good enough for a professional broadcaster. I want to be able to describe whats happening on the pitch so those following on this site are as close to the action as possible and, to be honest, when we have had other commentators the match thread has been more complete.
    I dont really care that Forch hurt himself moving a dead fox from his back garden, or that she thought she was on the train with one of the players coming to the match yesterday, or numerous other 'quotes' yesterday about players journeys and Peter Finch giving up smoking! In fact it was duing one of these 'extraneous' comments that Yeovil scored!!
    Overall I listen to the addicks commentary on CAFC player as I dont want to listen to the other teams commentators as they tend, on most occassions to be biased to 'their' team, which, whilst understandable, it is not what I want to listen to as they, in the main dont get the addicks players names right when describing the action. All-in-all I'm sure Emma means well, but she quickly needs to learn to 'commentate' on the action and stop having 'cosy' chats with her summeriser.
    However as a final point her looks and other such comments have nothing to do with her ability or not as a broadcaster.
  • Options
    This thread is painful!

Emma has actually improved IMHO, but she still has to get some of the basics right. As said above, when we (or they) scored, we need to know instantly and unequivocally. I found myself having to listen intently for anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute on a couple of occasions yesterday to clarify that something important had happened. If she can sort this sort of thing out and keep it short and informative, then I'm sure she can get there eventually.

The commentators mentioned by Brentford Addick are a good call as regards something to study and aspire to.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    * Redmidland
    * CommentTime4 minutes ago

# 72
    Just logged in and seen this thread. It has been interesting to read all the comments, and I have to agree that as a commentator she is, on most occassions, not the best. As you know I try to provide written updates on the 'live' action for those that cant hear/see the match. The job is made harder when she is commentating, just look at yesterdays match thread, I could only post a goal had been scored by Yeovil, but nothing about the build up as there was no commentry on the action at the time! This happened twice yesterday and is clearly not good enough for a professional broadcaster. I want to be able to describe whats happening on the pitch so those following on this site are as close to the action as possible and, to be honest, when we have had other commentators the match thread has been more complete.
    I dont really care that Forch hurt himself moving a dead fox from his back garden, or that she thought she was on the train with one of the players coming to the match yesterday, or numerous other 'quotes' yesterday about players journeys and Peter Finch giving up smoking! In fact it was duing one of these 'extraneous' comments that Yeovil scored!!
    Overall I listen to the addicks commentary on CAFC player as I dont want to listen to the other teams commentators as they tend, on most occassions to be biased to 'their' team, which, whilst understandable, it is not what I want to listen to as they, in the main dont get the addicks players names right when describing the action. All-in-all I'm sure Emma means well, but she quickly needs to learn to 'commentate' on the action and stop having 'cosy' chats with her summeriser.
    However as a final point her looks and other such comments have nothing to do with her ability or not as a broadcaster.
    You do a cracking job RM, I've often wondered if it is possible to get a press pass and post updates live from the game? I know from my own experiences listening to the games on the radio it's genuinely frustrating.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What bothers me - especially as a BBC fan- is that they have had loads of feedback about Emma, not just from Charlton fans, and still put her out there. She may well be a perfectly competent general journalist. Football radio commentary is surely a very specific skill, and on top of that you have to have a 'radio voice', which some men and women, equally, have, or don't have.

I dont think she understands the game in any depth either, and the evidence is in her final match reports. they consist only of who scored, and some extra stats, like how many games unbeaten. A computer really could do her match reports, and the technology is getting close for that. This is ultimately a failure of BBC management.
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]If she can sort this sort of thing out and keep it short and informative, then I'm sure she can get there eventually.

But this is the BBC, not RTM circa 1990. And there are loads of competent people out there. As others have said, you almost never turn back to Emma because the other lot are worse. There was one guy a few weeks ago who was excellent, not least because he was on his own, had no help. Think he was BBC Radio Kent.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Earlier this season (was it at Carlisle) Terry Smith and a bloke commentator were supposed to be relaying the match, and hardly any description happened, there was tantalizing crowd noises and such like, but you had no idea what was happening. The commentators have a first and fundamental duty to describe what is happening, especially the instant a goal is scored....but so many want to be 'characters' (and Alan Green is one of these, an obnoxious character, who thinks the football world should be constructed simply to please him) that they seem to think you can see the play yourself,and their job is to add 'colour'. Emma is consistently poor at telling us what is happening,when it is happening.I don't carewhat she looks like, i care what she sounds like, and how she relays to me the action....on that basis she is poor, along with some (male) others.

Thought for a while about whether to respond to this or not, but what the hell, here goes...............

Firstly being labelled as poor is in itself not an issue, I have put myself into a position where I'm there to be shot at for what I do and wherever possible I will take on board what criticisms are made and hopefuly improve. Believe me no-one is more critical of me than myself.

But by the way Seth if you are going to criticise me, please do me the service of getting the game right, if you demand accuracy, then I would have thought displaying that very trait would add more weight to the criticism.

However as I have said, I do take it on board, the game was actually Tranmere and it sticks in the mind because of the arduous journey and cost involved to get there and back. The incident I think you refer to, because I seem to recall seeing it in another thread, was the moment the ball cleared the stand and I think I mentioned something about it heading towards Birkenhead and ending up in a car boot sale. At the time there was nothing happening on the pitch but obviously if that wasn't portrayed properly, then it's a fair criticism.

Generally as a summariser, your comments are led by the main commentator, they are employed by the BBC to do the job and we are there principally to try to give a fans view of what's happening. For many seasons now, the call has been for there to be some Charlton bias in the commentary's and as a result some people have worked very hard to try to make that happen and the first stage of that is for the BBC to allow us to sit in with the main commentator at certain games. I doubt if either Peter or I believe we are anything other than fans trying to make the experience better for other fans. Yes we both have radio experience and I possibly have a little more in terms of commentating, but we would both accept we still have a lot to learn. I disagree completely that we are there solely in pursuit of 'character status' and if in time the decision is made that we are not good enough then I for one will get my season ticket out of the bedside cabinet and head back to the Covered End to be just a fan again.

As far as Emma is concerned, she's a nice person who may not be everybody's cup of tea as a commentator, not least because most people have a different view of what a commentator should do. But she certainly doesn't deserve the garbage spouted about her on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]As far as Emma is concerned, she's a nice person who may not be everybody's cup of tea as a commentator, not least because most people have a different view of what a commentator should do. But she certainly doesn't deserve the garbage spouted about her on here.
    That's the thing though, isn't it? She IS poor at her job and DOES deserve the criticism, irrespective of whether or not she's a nice person. People are now predictably hiding behind some of the tripe being spouted about her looks earlier on in the thread - when the real issue is that she ruins the experience of listening to Charlton for a lot of people who, for whatever reason, can't get to the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Of course it's the point Leroy, no-one is above criticism, especially when they are paid to offer a service. If the crticism is fair and constructive, it should be taken on board and learned from.

Unfortunately however the predictability of hiding behind the tripe is as predictable as the inevitability of that tripe coming in the first place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]As far as Emma is concerned, she's a nice person who may not be everybody's cup of tea as a commentator, not least because most people have a different view of what a commentator should do. But she certainly doesn't deserve the garbage spouted about her on here.

I think everyone agrees a commentator should be able to communicate the fact a goal has been scored, Emma cannot, I don't see how she can be above any sort criticism.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Definitely time for a change. Definitely time for a male commentator.
    lets be fair, we have basically given in to women going to watch football now.
    But having to listen to them commentating on it?
    Its a no from me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    * Redmidland
    * CommentTime4 minutes ago

# 72

You do a cracking job RM, I've often wondered if it is possible to get a press pass and post updates live from the game? I know from my own experiences listening to the games on the radio it's genuinely frustrating.

Thanks VFR and you pose an interesting question. I dont know if its possible to do and I dont know how it would be done, but of course I would be willing to give it a try, you never know it could work very well and if it bombs...well I can carry on from home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    Did ANYONE go to the game yesterday?!

This thread sums up our support totally.

Comedy Gold.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just find it incredible that a thread about someones complete inability to commentate goes off into so many differant tangents, its nothing to do with her being a woman its nothing to do with her looks, yesterday she did not tell us at least three times the simple fact that a goal had been scored, to me that is the bare minimum we can expect of a commentator. When I switched over to Yeovil commentary suddenly it felt like a football match is going on. Often the only reason i know there has been a shot at goal is that i hear Rod Hull or whoever he is gasp in the background, so either he's been strangled by his emu or there has been a close miss. This is a sevice we are paying for and it simply is not good enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]You do a cracking job RM, I've often wondered if it is possible to get a press pass and post updates live from the game? I know from my own experiences listening to the games on the radio it's genuinely frustrating.

Thanks VFR and you pose an interesting question. I dont know if its possible to do and I dont know how it would be done, but of course I would be willing to give it a try, you never know it could work very well and if it bombs...well I can carry on from home.

The Bournemouth Echo do a live text feed from matches (a bit like the BBC and SkySports feed, but with much more detail). If they're able, they interact with the fans reading, giving feedback on players' performances etc. They were allowed into the Valley for the first match of the season, but I have no idea if it would be allowed as a regular occurrence.

I imagine it's a lot harder to convert images into text than it is to convert sounds into text or images into sounds, but maybe that's just the way my mind thinks and others are able to do it easily.
  • Options
    Maybe its the club trying to fill more seats by providing those armchair fans with such terrible commentary that they get down to the games and sell more meat pies.
  • Options
    [cite]Robbo on the wingCommentTime1 hour ago edited quote# 80
    Definitely time for a change. Definitely time for a male commentator.
    lets be fair, we have basically given in to women going to watch football now.
    But having to listen to them commentating on it?
    Its a no from me.

I hope this is a joke comment Robbo?
    As there is no winky/smily thing ; )
  • Options
    Killers Beard

Is Emma Aware that the vast majority of her listeners want football content, the thing that is getting right up peoples noses is that the game yesterday 3-2 sounded like a poor quailty but high scoring game full of opportunities according to those there.

Emma however spoke more about non footballing matters including Jon Fortune and a dead fox at times when there must have been play going on.

she failed to describe the basics of a goal infact it was announced on sky before she mentioned it properly

If you could feed back to her some of the more constructive comments like explain where the ball is, what 3rd the play is taking play in, describe the match not the colour of curtains or the train journey she was on.

we dont tune in to listen to her talking about nonsense we tune in to get a feeling of the game because for whatever reason we cant get there, we dont tune in to hear what emma has done or read about this week.

Until then and only then can she not fall to criticism and look like she is nicking a living as a commentator because a commentator she is not
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    For me personally, i don't care if the commentator's a male/female/is a fox/dog etc. I just want to hear what's happening on the pitch "live". As she obviously has no real interest in the sport (as it virtually says on the BBC site) she's unable to portray the depth of the action as a football fan could, so surely she needs to be looking into other areas of journo's work. I would guess that most of her "research into commentary came from listening to fellow commentators on sky or M.O.T.D. But it's fine to ramble on and not go too much into what's happening on the pitch when your audience can see it for themselves. But this is radio. We need someone who can be descriptive of the action. I used to love listening to jonathan pearce back in the day when he used to do capital gold. It was great as you could picture every move as it happened. Funnily enough, I'm not a fan of him on the TV, as i find he's still trying to give every single detail, which is just stating the obvious when you can see it for yourself. So i guess it's a case of horses for courses.
    I personally can no longer listen to her and would rather listen to opposition commentary, even if they sometimes slag us off and are totally biased.

As for the personal jibes about whether or not "you would", how about we start up a new would ya thread featuring all of our wives/girlfriends?..................anyone wanna go first? No, didn't think so
  • Options
    As others have said and it bears repeating, on the radio the main commentator is your eyes and should relay not just the action but some general points about the game, how a player is performing and other relevant information.

Unfortunately she falls short on what I expect as a listener on many levels. The hesi...tat..ing delivery for one, it's as though she's watching the game through binoculars on a foggy day and trying to make out what's happening as players fade in and out of the mist. She might be a decent journalist, but as a live radio commentator she just doesn't cut it. There's no fluency in that she starts to discuss something and then loses track and wanders onto another subject, for example in one match a Charlton player took a shot on goal. Obviously it went wide because her next comment referred to a goal kick, fair enough, but there was a split second after the shot when there was nothing, literally no comment from her, did it go over the bar, wide of the left hand post, the right hand post, was it well wide...I will never know, but as my "eyes" at the game I expect her to commentate as if I am there. I never get any sense of what shape Charlton are playing, just anodyne comments "its good" or they are playing "poorly" without any objectivity to back those comments up.

Simply she doesn't have the gift of the gab to communicate quickly and coherently and translate what is going on to us as listeners.
  • Options
    and women are normally so good at talking....;-)