Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emmas Commentary.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear that she got made redundant! Mortimerican.

My position is based mainly on last season. As i said I am a season ticket holder again, so go to the Home games.

I used to do listen to most of the away games when they were streamed, and like other posters found it very irkesome with Emma.

Just not my type/style of commentary, long gaps, and pauses. If she was describing a picture, It became a blank canvas to me!

I think some people are trying to turn this into an anti-woman thing. That is not it at all.

Plenty of bad male football commentators around. But the issue is Emma , and the quality, or lack of it , delivering good informed, commentating, that fans respond and are involved in.

Sound's pretty basic to me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I think some people are trying to turn this into an anti-woman thing. That is not it at all.

Plenty of bad male football commentators around. But the issue is Emma , and the quality, or lack of it , delivering good informed, commentating, that fans respond and are involved in.

There is a British commentator over here who works for GolTV - absolutely terrible, he is even worse than Emma - as he seemed to crop up on nearly every match, even though it was our only North American access to La Liga I just canceled my subscription to the channel.

Ray Hudson - look him up on Youtube - some people find him funny.
  • Options
    Comments like women can't be passionate about the game are probably why people think its turned into an 'anti women thing'.
  • Options
    If Emma is commentating again, and she describes the action as it happens, then good. It means this thread may have achieved something.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]If Emma is commentating again, and she describes the action as it happens, then good. It means this thread may have achieved something.

Unfortunately Seth I doubt it. We've had this discussion before on a previous thread but she seems to be getting worse.
    I actually think the best commentaries have been when a guy (I don't know his name) has done it on his own. Then they tend to consentrate on what is happening on the pitch rather than trying to emulate a comedy double act.
    It's not the fault of Terry or the other guys that help out as co commentators, who I'm sure would do a far better job on their own, but when with Emma they have to go along with the trivial banter that she instigates.
    I take my Charlton very seriously, probably far too seriously, and this season could be make or break for the future of our club. I'll get my comedy and trivial banter from somewhere else thank you, but when I'm listening to the game and sitting up half the night to do so, then I want to know what's happening on the pitch. I don't think that's too much to ask for, or expect, it's got nothing to do with her sex, looks or any such thing.
  • Options
    I am not going to wade into this argument, other than to say if you are going to bring my name into things at least have the decency to get my full name, rather than to just refer to me as Finch.
  • Options
    i very rarely listen to the radio cos i go to the games or i'm too busy to listen to whats going on but am i the only one who would want a non biased commentary just to be told like it is with out being rose tinted from a charlton point or oppo point
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i very rarely listen to the radio cos i go to the games or i'm too busy to listen to whats going on but am i the only one who would want a non biased commentary just to be told like it is with out being rose tinted from a charlton point or oppo point

You're not alone, that would suit me just fine. If they supply the facts, I'll supply the bias. I want to be able to come away thinking I've got a good idea of what the match was like, if you've got biased commentators there's always that doubt that they might have made us sound better or worse than we really were because of the particular perspective that they take.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i listen to the radio commentary when able and at the start of the season Emma was nowhere to be seen, or heard, and I really enjoyed the commentaries for a change...

Suddenly, without warning, Emma's resurfaced and my enjoyment has diminished considerably, she is just bleeding awful at it...

The main problem with Emma is she hasn't managed to master the simple art of 'conversation' ie, you talk, I listen, when you stop talking, I talk and you listen, very simple social rules most of us master at a very early age...

Emma tends to flout those rules by constantly jabbering on about all sorts of shite, barely pauses for breath before continuing to spout off yet more inane tripe and if her cohort is clever enough to sneak in an aside she BLATHERS ON AT AN EVEN RATE OF KNOTS AT AN EVEN GREATER CRESCENDO OF SOUND yet still managing to talk a complete load of bollocks...

Nothing to do with the number of testicles she has or hasn't got, she's just shite...
  • Options
    i very rarely listen to the radio cos i go to the games or i'm too busy to listen to whats going on but am i the only one who would want a non biased commentary just to be told like it is with out being rose tinted from a charlton point or oppo point......
    oohaamortimer quote........

That is your perogative. If you prefer sterile, detached observation.

I prefer the more passionate, intense, interchange beetween fan and commentator!

What we seem to have at present is just poor, which of course is my perogative to state..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time to dig up the Emma thread again.

Tonights commentary against Bristol Rovers was superb from BBC london with Steve Brown co-commentating and it was 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than listening to Emma. It actually felt like I was at the game, was getting excited when we had chances and nervous when Bristrol attacked. Steve Brown was informative and made some really good points about Charlton and Bristol and also wasn't over biased.

Absolutley nothing to do with her gender, instead all the good things I mentioned about tonights broadcast she lacks severely.
  • Options
    Just seen the report on the BBC website about the education demos today.

Seems like the students don't agree with our desire to get rid of Emma - however it's clear that the cuts in education are having an effect already on such basic things as spelling!

_50126158_fees304.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't hear last night's heaven but (sadly, given some of what's been said on this thread) I do think that all of the other commentators apart from Emma do a very good job
  • Options
    Ive just read back this thread now as I couldnt face it the last few days as it was such a wind up. Honestly.

I reckon I can state that Robbo on the wing's comment was purely there for a rise out of me, from one friend to another. Am sure he was kidding!
  • Options
    I agree about Steve Brown, although he normally works with a (BJ) heavenSE7, as I was at the match obviously did not hear the transmission.

as the saying goes 'Steve Brown won't let you down'.

Ireally do not think it is too much to expect a decent commentary, and yes I know it is up to the bbc to decide this!
  • Options
    What i can't understand is that the bbc has nothing to do with charlton or cafc player, and are obviously paid by the club to supply a "decent" commentary of the game. As they are obviously not keeping their end of the agreement, why does the club either take this up with the beeb or tell them to sling their hook and get someone in who can do it properly? We're not expecting Martin tyler, but we also don't expect Bonnie tyler either. There must be plenty of men and women who would do a better job than em.........ma

P.S.
    We've just had confirmation that charlton have scored..........she thinks the scorer was Andy hunt or keith jones but is unable to tell them apart so she'll get back to us with the correct information within the next 5 yrs
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]What i can't understand is that the bbc has nothing to do with charlton or cafc player, and are obviously paid by the club to supply a "decent" commentary of the game. As they are obviously not keeping their end of the agreement, why does the club either take this up with the beeb or tell them to sling their hook and get someone in who can do it properly? We're not expecting Martin tyler, but we also don't expect Bonnie tyler either. There must be plenty of men and women who would do a better job than em.........ma

P.S.
    We've just had confirmation that charlton have scored..........she thinks the scorer was Andy hunt or keith jones but is unable to tell them apart so she'll get back to us with the correct information within the next 5 yrs[/quote]

I think you will find BBC London pay the CAFC to cover the games rather than the other way round, and the decision regarding commentators is down to BBC London rather than the Club.
  • Options
    Peter is correct, of my understanding of the position.

Which is why I complained to the bbc myself ( being employed at the bbc at the time I am sure they welcomed this!)

I could settle for Bonnie Tyler, she could at least join in the singing...... one thing for sure to use one of Bonnies songs
    'Its a heartache'......
  • Options
    Wyn Grant has had his say about all this.

(to be honest I couldn't give two monkeys, but...)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Emma's commentary is a lot like the old Woody Allen joke about the restaurant review: "The food was terrible, but the portions were very large."

Emma's commentary is terrible, and we get her much too often.

What does it say to the BBC when so many have commented that they automatically switch to the opponent's commentary when they hear that Emma is on the Charlton commentary?
    Nothing could be more telling than that. Nothing!

My guess is that she has never been trained to provide proper play-by-play commentary, because, simply, she never provides any.
    She also does not appear to be very knowledgeable about the game, including its very basics.

It is all well and good that people are trying to be helpful by offering tips such as 'just tell us who has the ball, where they are, and what are they trying to do with it.' That's all.
    Oh wait, let us know when a goal is scored, and at least which team scored it, if not which player.

We all have announcers that we love and that we loathe. Martin Tyler, John Motson, Alan Green, et all. Some we'll like, and some we won't. But in most cases, we can admit that even the ones that we don't like are at least competent. We just don't fancy their styles or personalities, but they tell us at least the basics of what we need to know as an audience.

Does Emma pass the competency test as a football commentator?

It doesn't matter here if she is a wonderful journalist, interviewer, talk show host etc. She may very well be one or all of those things.

She is not passable as a football commentator, whether it is on a free or a paid service.
  • Options
    The more we all moan, the more they'll keep assigning her to our matches. Perhaps we need to start a new thread saying how wonderful she is and how much we all love listening to her, then maybe they'll take her away.
  • Options
    Think it's her "commentating" on the headline game thats on now between Norwich and Cardiff.

Absolutely awful whoever it is.

Good ol' auntie....tokenism at it's most blatant. Wouldnt dare put her on a big match involving the big 4 as there would be too many complaints form the "real" fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Think it's her "commentating" on the headline game thats on now between Norwich and Cardiff.

Absolutely awful whoever it is.

Good ol' auntie....tokenism at it's most blatant. Wouldnt dare put her on a big match involving the big 4 as there would be too many complaints form the "real" fans.

Don't think it's her.

Women eh!
  • Options
    Ha!

Without risking the wrath of our female contingent I think some of the lady commentators the beeb employ for football are dreadful. This one, our Emma and the palace whally who still hasnt fallen off that desk despite my numerous letters to Jimmy Saville.

Almost make Clive Tyldsley not the worst person to ever publicly opine on the game. Almost.
  • Options
    I think Jacqui Oatley did the Norwich game.
  • Options
    Women Commentators, like Male Strippers, just plain wrong!
  • Options
    Oatley is definitely a better match reporter than dear ol' Emma or Lizzie Greenwood-Palacefan - but her commentary is awful. It's a shame, but none of the female commentators are even close to being good at their jobs. As said before, it's nothing to do with their sex. Terry Gibson and Brian Marwood are shit commentators as well - just as bad as Oatley. The BBC are being deliberately provocative by continually using the three 'highest profile' female commentators - it gets people talking and, as posted above, since there's no chance they would ever give any of them an 'important' (i.e. 'Big' four) game and they don't give a shit about the fans of FL clubs, they're using it as an excuse to create a talking-point. As usual, its the fans who suffer.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Double post
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think women commentators are pretty rubbish, and it is because they are women. True, there are some poor male commentators, but there are no good female commentators. This may be down to conditioning, but I think it is to do with the frequency of the voice. The male voice, being deeper, creates space and pulls you into the sense of an unfolding drama. Women, on the other hand, have not perfected the art of creating an aural space. Therein is the problem.