Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2-2 Luton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Mea culpa. I've been on holiday since the Shef Wed game and it seems we've been playing some decent football. As soon as I'm back, we lose the plot again!

The main positive was Llera, who was a tower of strength, I thought. Won almost everything in the air, assured on the ball and some good distribution, too. Sadly poor old Forch alongside him might as well not have been there for all the contribution he made. It looked like he'd wandered in from some over-40s game.

Reid was sporadically impressive and Jackson and Racon were OK. But Racon's recent purple patch seems to have gone to his head. There wwere several times he tried Kyel Reid-type tricks and flicks when surely the strength of his game has always been doing the simple things brilliantly.

The right side was hopeless. Waggy had one of his AWOL days and as for Francis... well the bloke is a total enigma. There were some decent touches and a few good attacking crosses going forward in their half. But in his own half he was a walking disaster area. I got quite angry early on with three mature chaps behind me , all in their late 50s/60s, who criticised him every time he touched the ball. But after 20 mins or so, I has to turn around to them and said ''Sorry, gentlemen. You are right. He shouldn't be on the pitch.'' When is Solly going to be fit again?

Benson looked very tired towards the end but Akpo in his brief time on the pitch looked a handful.

Credit to Luton and their fans. They gave us lessons in simple passing and passionate singing.

Man of the match: Big Mig, by a Spanish mile.
  • Options
    Very poor performance all round. Fortune was awful, wouldn't surprise me if he went in January. Benson wasn't far behind. Everyone else was average. Take nothing away from them though, Luton played very well. Drury and Keane were good as was Gnapka who caused no end of problems. Barely worked their keeper except one save at the death. The team we had out should have done a lot lot better. Must be a good chance our game will be on tv, only other real option is the Brighton replay. Could come down to who plays who in the next round.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Benno_14 Paul Benson
    Lead boots on today...as if I'd never kicked a ball before in my life

Can't knock him for honesty then... he's very likeable. Just hope his confidence doesn't get a big knock.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]it was grim. Replica of every other shite cup performance we have endured in the last ten years.

Rubbish result, rubbish performance, rubbish home turn out.

it was really really bad lots of poor performances, abysmal support, no passion or desire to close the ball down. fortune is so nowhere near the player he once was, francis i had heard he has got better well on todays performance i will take it he had an off day, reid doesnt release the ball early enough and tends to be too greedy.

Waggy how did he stay on, benson deary me

Llera mom by a country mile and robbie shouldnt come off his line too often otherwise we will see loads of 30 yarders go past him

Luton were by far the better team played the better football

i aint too please that i dragged 5 dads from postponed fixture in nth london and their kids to watch such an abject and effortless performance

disgusted
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Very poor performance all round. Fortune was awful, wouldn't surprise me if he went in January. Benson wasn't far behind. Everyone else was average.

That blanket ''average'' is a bit unfair on Llera, I think Large. He got almost everything right, I felt. Hard to imagine Dailly or Doherty playing better than he did today...and as you say, Fortune alongside him was atrocious, so he was effectively having to do two men's work.
  • Options
    We kept playing long ball all game, nos hape lucky to have a second chance, though I don;t fancy our chances
  • Options
    We weren't rubbish, we just couldn't get it together.

Luton were a decent side though, they'd do alright in this league.

Froze my gonads off but at least we're still in it.

Be fooked if I'm going to Luton though!
  • Options
    francis just loses concentration too much, reidy needs to beat hos man and get a cross in.Fortune just got bullied end of.
  • Options
    If Luton are an OK side how do you (by that I mean anybody, nothing personal) explain our first goal?
  • Options
    We were rubbish

we were out fought. Out played. We Hung on. we were resilient against a conference team.

We did not field kids we have mo excuses.

We were cack and we got away with it . I don't think we will play that badly again. It made me consider if the performance is was do disgusted with against notts county maybe I was too harsh because today was rubbish how we were ahead at any stage was staggering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    Llera mom by a country mile
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Very poor performance all round. Fortune was awful, wouldn't surprise me if he went in January. Benson wasn't far behind. Everyone else was average.

That blanket ''average'' is a bit unfair on Llera

I mustve been watchiching a different game, he was dire.
  • Options
    Mate he got my man of the match with a poor performance check my player scores I have never given a mom with such a low score
  • Options
    I wasn't there. I expected the performance you have all described. Is it any wonder the ground doesn't sell out when we perform so badly in these cup games?
  • Options
    >> quote# 38 Be fooked if I'm going to Luton though!<<

Ah, the famous David Pleat quote!!
  • Options
    Never a penalty.

Ball was rolling on their goal kick and there were players in the area that lead directly to their goal. Play should have been stopped by the referee, who was terrible today.
  • Options
    saying all this i am not reading too much into it.

it was one of those great fa cup days a tiny conference club who has been down on is luck got a great fa cup draw at an excelent stadium which unfortunatly was very empty played well above themselves if their fans turned up like that home and away they wont be where they are now for long.

plucky old luton

lucky charlton

great day for conference football
  • Options
    Worries me that we were so bad. Wagstaff was dreadful, but then I think he is much over rated, Fortune was not much better. Benson was also very poor and midfield didn't have a clue.

Why no youngsters? Why not change things at halftime? Most of all, how the hell have we gone 9 games unbeaten?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Mate he got my man of the match with a poor performance check my player scores I have never given a mom with such a low score

Really ? Thought he was shocking.
  • Options
    racon was our mom by a mile once again
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well i didn't think we were rubbish at all.
    The first 20 minutes we look nervous but apart from that we looked comfortable.
    Reid was causing them all sorts of problems and the defence didn't look like conceding at all in the second half until they hit a stunner.
    Liera and Fortune looked really good together and that's very promising.
    Wagstaff and Benson need a kick up the arse as they were poor.
    Luton will be there or thereabouts at ten top of the conference this season and will probably do as well in league two. their number 9 looks class.

Wasn't surprised that the crowd was low , couldn't understand why some people were predicting 13 or 14 thousand.
    Three home games in 7 days -3 degrees and to top that a cup game.

If we have a naff third round draw ( eg: Scunthorpe away etc..) then i hope we disregard the cup and put a much weakened team out at the Dump that is Kenilworth road. I only live 25 minutes away from Luton and i don't want to go to that toilet of a ground .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Worries me that we were so bad. Wagstaff was dreadful, but then I think he is much over rated, Fortune was not much better. Benson was also very poor and midfield didn't have a clue.

Why no youngsters? Why not change things at halftime? Most of all, how the hell have we gone 9 games unbeaten?

Because that is the worst we've played for a long time now. A cup game, no more, no less, I'd hoped we'd win it handily but I'll shed no tears over this result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Worries me that we were so bad. Wagstaff was dreadful, but then I think he is much over rated, Fortune was not much better. Benson was also very poor and midfield didn't have a clue.

Why no youngsters? Why not change things at halftime? Most of all,how the hell have we gone 9 games unbeaten?

Because that is the worst we've played for a long time now. A cup game, no more, no less, I'd hoped we'd win it handily but I'll shed no tears over this result.

That performance wasn't much worse than the yeovil or Bristol Rovers games.
  • Options
    Why did so many of you stay at home?

Not that you missed much. It was another dreadful game of football at The Valley (maybe the lack of entertainment is the reason so many stayed away). Almost unwatchable at times.
  • Options
    Where it goes not even he knows.

063.jpg
  • Options
    what was the crowd then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Why did so many of you stay at home?

Not that you missed much. It was another dreadful game of football at The Valley (maybe the lack of entertainment is the reason so many stayed away). Almost unwatchable at times.

Think you answered your own question Simmo
  • Options
    shite game, shite turn out, disagree about the Luton fans, thought they were one of the quietest bunch to fill the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Robbie, how many times does that boy get beaten from outside the box, the shot in the first half that hit the post - he was absolutely rooted and wouldn't have got near it!!

Fortune will go in Jan, well off the pace. Llera did well, Francis o.k but his distribution sometimes is absolutely woeful.

Waggy was quiet again for the 2nd game running, Reid looked dangerous but sometimes tried to much

Both ran their nuts off up front but just didn't quite happen for either today....still our best front two though by some distance.

Racon was superb again and MOM by a mile....the last dozen games or so he's been absolutely class and showing all the skill and touch I think we all hoped he could.

Didn't think they were up to much and I think our team for the replay will really depend on who we draw in the 3rd round!!
  • Options
    Was it a "dreadful game of football"?

It wasn't great if you're a Charlton fan, given the level of the opposition, but the game itself was quite entertaining. Plenty of chances, plenty of incident, some cracking goals, both teams in with a shout of winning, finely balanced, could've gone either way. Jeez, what more do some people want.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Was it a "dreadful game of football"?

It wasn't great if you're a Charlton fan, given the level of the opposition, but the game itself was quite entertaining. Plenty of chances, plenty of incident, some cracking goals, both teams in with a shout of winning, finely balanced, could've gone either way. Jeez, what more do some people want.

as a neutral or as a luton fan i would have really enjoyed it

as a charlton fan that is not what i wanted but i thouight we would lose so i aint going to lose any sleep over it thats for sure

off it in your heart of hearts you didnt want that either surely

you wouldve wanted a cracking performance by a team 2 leagues above the oponants and a comfortable win
  • Options
    Posting before reading.

I'm sorry to bang on repeatedly about this but again for too many periods of this match the midfield went missing placing the back 4 under pressure.

That said we lost to what I considered a dubious penalty and an excellent strike that 99 times out of 100 would have ended up in row z to ironic cheers rather than the top corner.

When the midfield showed, and we put some passes together, we looked dangerous and capable of winning the game but in truth most of the time we were like a catherine wheel which had been hammered too tightly to a post. Plenty of fizz at times but it didn't really go anywhere and misfired.

Negatives: Mc Cormack. An extra fixture we REALLY don't need. Fortune and Llera didn't inspire confidence.

Positives: Anyinsah took his goal well and looked effective. Reid looked more like his old self most of the match. One less league game for Christian to miss.

Finally, as a matter of interest ,my brother in law (a neutral with no axe to grind) came with me today and was pleasantly surprised that both teams, especially Charlton he said, tried to get the ball down and play football. He said he enjoyed the match as a spectacle.