Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2-2 Luton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Crap performance, we tried to coast our way through the game and nearly got away with it. Can't say I blame the players for struggling to get motivated if only 5,000 can be arsed to turn despite cheap tickets.
  • This was a game of poor decision making. Poor decision making from the referee, poor decision making from the players and ultimately, poor decision making from the fans that decided not to bother tuning up.

I don't think I've ever felt more embarrassed to be a Charlton fan at home, our turnout was a disgrace. Utterly, utterly pathetic.

The referee was poor, blowing up for some very minor infringements including a very soft penalty decision and some non-sense yellow cards.

Luton were the better side in the first half, they did a terrific job on us, closing us down, not letting us get the ball, their passing and movement was superb. That said, even in the first half I wondered if they could keep it up for 90 minutes. Their penalty, while wrongly given and initially saved, gave them the goal that they probably deserved.

Jackson's opportunistic header put us well an truly in control of the game in the second half. I actually allowed myself the fantasy of who we might face in the next round so dominant we were. Until their second goal.

You know those football moments when you all see things happening in slow motion? You know the outcome of something before it even happens. That was what it was like, the Luton player hit the ball and it just went straight past Robbie Elliot, he just stood there watching it, I could tell from his body language that he thought it was going to go wide.

Overall it was a fairly typical FA cup game. Our fans, or lack of them, were an embarrassment. We got undone by a lower league side....again. I was surrounded by miserable whining tossers. It was cold.

A miserable draw.
  • I think a decent cup run would gain us some revenue and also raise our profile. I listened to the game on the radio, it was dull listening; I slipped into daydreams on more than one occasion, could have been the commentary quality, I suppose. There didn't seem much of an atmos; to me it seemed that Miguel was having a good game and the rest were okay. We didn't lose.

Two things. Do we play worse at The Valley, do we freeze on the 'big' occasion? Remember Jonjo's awful game last year agains the Victoria and Albert - we were on telly twice; both times awful.
  • Do we play worse at The Valley, do we freeze on the 'big' occasion?

I certainly bloody froze today!
  • I think today showed we really have to rely on Racon and Seemdo keeping fit and their form up as McCormack I thought was poor. Which was more disappointing is it was his chance to show his worth with Semedo out and he didn't take it.

Also surprised Akpo didn't get a start, thought he has done more than enough for a start after the last 2 sub appearances and with Ayinsah coming back from injury I thought he should've started.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Finally, as a matter of interest ,my brother in law (a neutral with no axe to grind) came with me today and was pleasantly surprised that both teams, especially Charlton he said, tried to get the ball down and play football. He said he enjoyed the match as a spectacle.

Glad you said that Len - see my comments at post #59.

People don't seem to be able to differentiate between a "crap game" and a "crap performance" - big difference.

Of course I'm not exactly happy with the performance, but the game itself was pretty entertaining.

As for our fans turnout being "an embarrassment" - oh please, get over yourselves.
  • As for our fans turnout being "an embarrassment" - oh please, get over yourselves.
    Less an embarrassment more just plain embarrassing. The fans that turned up were all fantastic.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    As for our fans turnout being "an embarrassment" - oh please, get over yourselves.

Less an embarrassment more just plain embarrassing. The fans that turned up were all fantastic.

And you were expecting what sort of crowd exactly?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it

People don't seem to be able to differentiate between a "crap game" and a "crap performance" - big difference.

Is the difference that big? It depends on your aesthetic sensibilty and whether you value skill or whether you're prepared to settle for the huff and puff of unsubtle but honest endeavour.

There was not much skill today on either side, although perhaps the endeavour was entertaining. But if so, only in the way that watching a bare knuckle fight between a couple of drunken dunderheads might on one level be more ''entertaining'' than watching the honed and trained heavyweight skills of Ali v Foreman...
  • The crowd was over 8,000. How many more dud we really expect? We were playing non-league opposition and we've played two league games at home in a week.

It was very cold and we stand literally no chance at all of achieving any success in the FA Cup this season, and went out to another non-league team lase season.

For me though, the main reason I didn't go was that after having a season ticket for over twenty years I didn't want to go on the basis that no seats were reserved and I'd have to get there early (in sub zero temperatures) to get anywhere my normal seat.

I bet it won't be a free for all in the replay at Luton.

If our club can't manage to save seats for season ticket holders then they can hardly complain when some of them choose not to turn up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Posted By: Valley_floyd_red

And you were expecting what sort of crowd exactly?

Exactly? 11465.

Nothing less.
  • Alright it was a cold day but it was a tenner in.

The size of the crowd is probably a fair reflection of our attitude to the FA cup, we have been consistently atrocious in this competition for a number of years.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it

[/cite]
    [cite]

Is the difference that big? It depends on your aesthetic sensibilty and whether you value skill or whether you're prepared to settle for the huff and puff of unsubtle but honest endeavour.

There was not much skill today on either side, although perhaps the endeavour was entertaining. But if so, only in the way that watching a bare knuckle fight between a couple of drunken dunderheads might on one level be more ''entertaining'' than watching the honed and trained heavyweight skills of Ali v Foreman...[/cite]

Of course there's a difference. It wont always be a big difference, but there is a distinct difference all the same.

Have you never watched a kids game in a park and been entertained? Whilst it might be true that the "endeavour was entertaining" it is in no way similar to a bare knuckle fight between two drunks. It doesn't always have to be one thing or the other, not for me anyway.

As for the skill on display today, what about Reidy's cross for our first goal? Or their fellas run and shot that smacked the post in the first half? Or Elliott's flying save to tip over that free kick? Or any one of Reid's mazy runs? (but not the crap ones, granted!) And then there's Luton's second - was that not a bit of quality (assuming he meant it, of course!)

This was a game between a third division team and a non-league team. If you wanted the honed and trained heaveyweight skills of Ali v Foreman then you were never going to find that down at The Valley today - and to be honest you're unlikely to find it down there all season.

Anyway, I still maintain that the "game" today wasn't bad as an entertainment spectacle, just not that entertaining with my (metaphorical) Charlton hat on.
  • Reading some of these threads are pathetic, who cares what our home attendances are.. just hope we get a big tie and boost our game in the replay but for now.. eyes on the league. any trips to Man u/arsenal are just a bonus, and if we make wembley (is it there?) in the jpt even bigger bonus! we'd still complain about our attendance if we took 25k to jpt final
  • I think we really missed Semedo today. Also having Jackson as full back is not as good as having him in midfield, though to be fair I thought he was one of out better players. Racon was outstanding again. Anyinsah ok, but not at his best - hopefully after that run out he'll be in better form next time. Llera was excellent in the air, but a couple of times got caught out when the ball was on the ground. I was pleased at how well he played overall, but I don't think Dailly has got any worries about his place.
  • We really, really missde dailey organnising the defence
  • Swindon only managed a 1-1'vs crawley and Brighton the same vs FC united so I don't see the problem? Yes we all would have preferred a better score but it's not just us.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

I have to agree with that.

It's just an indication of how the FA Cup (all cups really..) is currently viewed by fans all over the country - the early rounds in particular.

Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday were both at home today and had very similar attendances to us (within 600). Huddersfield had less than 5,000 (they average just over 13,000 in the league).
  • I expected about 12,000 but then we have just gone four home games in less than two weeks. It would be great to fill the ground and get the revenue but its nothing to get our knockers in a twist.

Thought Luton did really well and we looked like we werein 2nd gear and could not shift up to the next one. The only concern i have coming out of this game is that we do not have a squad to cope with the number of games we have just had and about to have and that come march april we have an umber of players burn out.

Nice to see Benson being selfr critical on twitter - "not upto the standard i expect of myself!"

I fwe get a big club in the next round, don't get too excited until we know if we get through, this is charlton
  • It the same as if we played against a doncaster rovers or a Barnsley, we raise our game against a better team from a higher division ... knowing that there is a signisifcant finacial reward at stake.. as Parky said in his pre match interview if we on arun, and have made 100k from it then it is more likely we can loan another player..

and we are still unbeaten..

We cant expect to play each game like brazil, we are tough to beat and the goals we concede seem to be world class at the moment...

It all perception, as usual, its all how you look at, we are now losing count of how many we are unbeaten...

roll on the draw... for the first tiem in yrs we are actually in it..
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite].. as Parky said in his pre match interview if we on arun, and have made 100k from it then it is more likely we can loan another player....
    So for any player who is worried about his place in the squad, it might be better to get knocked out now ;-)
  • lol.. thats right, if you are not confident of your perfromance or your place the best way forward is to make sure the team lose.. ;)
  • it was shite again like the barnet game parky put some oif the youngsters on the bench ,maybe he should play em at least they will show some hunger ,francis did ok in the week today he was shocking,agree with NLA Llera was mom .
  • 10% we go out to luton 40% we get knocked out where we should be entering the competition 50% we're into the 4th round minimum !!
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    Having now seen the replay of the goals, I'm astonished that Parky says it was a penalty and has no complaints.

I thought he was out of order when he complained the other week that the ref was the opposition's best player and his FA punishment was correct and inevitable.Yesterday he had something to moan about with total justification - and he says he is satisfied with the decision. Most odd. Perhaps he is terrified of another ban and fine, because no way was that a pen !
  • Out of the four recent home games, I'd say the Rovers match was the best to watch (and I'm not talking about from a neutral's viewpoint). Charlton made chances and the performance was good. The other three games have been pretty dire, with some good bits in between (Elliott v Barnet and some good goals) but I think most supporters are still waiting for a home game that really excites. By my reckoning we made about 3 and a half chances yesterday and in the 2nd half when we should be dominating teams at home, we barely got into the Luton penalty area. I know the team are capable because I've seen it with my own eyes at Orient and Swindon but something is holding us back at The Valley.

On the subject of the attendance....I'd be interested to know what price would have tempted those who didn't come? £5? I'm asking out of interest so please don't think I'm accusing people of disloyalty or anything daft like that. The deal seemed pretty good to me...£10,home game, Sat afternoon kick off, FA Cup, or do some people just not come to the cup games irrespective of the price?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]10% we go out to luton 40% we get knocked out where we should be entering the competition 50% we're into the 4th round minimum !![/quote]

shouldn't you wait untill the draw before making those percentages ;) lol
  • definate penalty given away by that plank francis
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Having now seen the replay of the goals, I'm astonished that Parky says it was a penalty and has no complaints.

I thought he was out of order when he complained the other week that the ref was the opposition's best player and his FA punishment was correct and inevitable.Yesterday he had something to moan about with total justification - and he says he is satisfied with the decision. Most odd. Perhaps he is terrified of another ban and fine, because no way was that a pen !

Thought I heard him say in an interview that he could not afford to make any complaints.

[cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]definate penalty given away by that plank francis

Could not see during the game, but thought that the player threw himself to the ground on the TV coverage.

Not sure that a lower price would have brought more people in, I think 4 home games in 12 games, two of which are expected to be under performances against family commitments, the weather will all have taken their toll against a higher attendance.