Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2-2 Luton - Post Match Views

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]

On the subject of the attendance....I'd be interested to know what price would have tempted those who didn't come? £5? I'm asking out of interest so please don't think I'm accusing people of disloyalty or anything daft like that. The deal seemed pretty good to me...£10,home game, Sat afternoon kick off, FA Cup, or do some people just not come to the cup games irrespective of the price?

Honestly, I wouldn't have gone if it had been free.
  • In regard to the low turnout, I don't think we're any different from most clubs. Similar size clubs such as Bolton and Birmingham struggle to attract over 10,000 when they get drawn at home to lower division sides and I think the main reason for this is that clubs push season ticket sales so hard these days and many fans are reluctant to shell out anything in addition to the cost of their season ticket. Never nice to see the ground so empty, but certainly nothing to be ashamed off.

As for the performance, don't think it was that bad. Luton are a good side and I don't think the gap between League 1 and the top of the Conference is anything like as big as the gap between League 1 and the Prem. You can argue that players are paid to perform regardless of any other factors, but it must be difficult getting up for a game when you walk out to such a sparse crowd, and conversely it must be an inspiration to Luton walking out to a packed away end. I think if the incentive is there, i.e. a good third round draw, then we'll do a professional job on them in the replay.
  • Three comments on yesterday;

1. We saw another demonstration yesterday of the importance of balance and shape. The team looks much better with a narrower midfield and with players in midfield who pass the ball to each other. It may have worked better yesterday had Semedo been fit, but an important factor was that for all his trickery and apparent threat Kyel Reid unhinges the side’s cohesion, ability to retain the ball and hence to dictate play. That’s why he is no longer first choice. Parky needs to think about what to do when either Fry or Jackson is unavailable because Reid wide left is not the answer. He’s much better used as an impact sub late on.

2. Fans countrywide have lost interest in the FA Cup, at least in the early rounds. It’s not a Charlton “thing”. The competition has lost much of it magic whilst league competition has become much more important. I wouldn’t get too excited about the third round draw because with the exception of a really “big draw” at home, i.e. Manchester Utd or a London based Premier League Club, we may well find that the turn out is again disappointing.

3. There is very little price elasticity of demand for football tickets, i.e. the Club could have charged £5 for an Adult ticket yesterday with very little impact. Likewise, they may actually have been better off charging a little more, in revenue terms at least.
  • Not a good performance from us but Luton played very well and - objectively speaking - it was quite an entertaining cup tie. They certainly came to play football, rather than to try and rough us up ( as many non-League teams might have done ). The second half was better, although we got sloppy and complacent towards the end. If, however, that late shot had clipped the bar, rather than nestling in the top corner, we'd be pleased at having scraped through without the team having had to over-exert itself.

As for the crowd, I was expecting 10,000, but I think we all tend to be a bit delusional. The F.A. Cup has lost most of it's lustre and we've had a lot of home games recently. More generally, attendances across the game are starting to flag - for example, only one of the Premiership games this weekend had sold out as at yesterday morning.

I suspect the outcome of today's draw will influence what sort of side Parky puts out for the replay. It will be a difficult game for sure but I expect us to get through. At least Dailly will be back for the Walsall game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]

On the subject of the attendance....I'd be interested to know what price would have tempted those who didn't come? £5? I'm asking out of interest so please don't think I'm accusing people of disloyalty or anything daft like that. The deal seemed pretty good to me...£10,home game, Sat afternoon kick off, FA Cup, or do some people just not come to the cup games irrespective of the price?

• [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]

You can say that again!
  • Swindon only managed a 1-1'vs crawley and Brighton the same vs FC united so I don't see the problem? Yes we all would have preferred a better score but it's not just us.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Swindon only managed a 1-1'vs crawley and Brighton the same vs FC united so I don't see the problem? Yes we all would have preferred a better score but it's not just us.[/quote]

I can understand your point of view, but we should focus on ourselves really, them drawing doesn't really beneift us and should not over shadow our own problems, we shouldn't say 'everyone else did it' and think it's a decent excuse for our performance.
  • It's no excuse just shows lower league teams really do up their level against higher level teams I remember Exeter drawing with man u too.
  • ah right, sorry my mistake
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Having now seen the replay of the goals, I'm astonished that Parky says it was a penalty and has no complaints.

I thought he was out of order when he complained the other week that the ref was the opposition's best player and his FA punishment was correct and inevitable.Yesterday he had something to moan about with total justification - and he says he is satisfied with the decision. Most odd. Perhaps he is terrified of another ban and fine, because no way was that a pen !

Thought I heard him say in an interview that he could not afford to make any complaints.
    Given the contempt that the FA seem to hold us in, I'd like to see Parky make no more complaints about anything. In fact as the season goes on, he should heap increasingly higher praise onto the refs every time we suffer from their ineptitude. By the end of the season his praise and hyperbole for the incompetent men in black should be so great that even the blithering blazered bureaucrats of Soho Square realise that something is up.
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]In regard to the low turnout, I don't think we're any different from most clubs. Similar size clubs such as Bolton and Birmingham struggle to attract over 10,000 when they get drawn at home to lower division sides and I think the main reason for this is that clubs push season ticket sales so hard these days and many fans are reluctant to shell out anything in addition to the cost of their season ticket. Never nice to see the ground so empty, but certainly nothing to be ashamed off.
    Very good point; perhaps it is time for cup games to be included in season tickets.
  • Will the replay count as Daillys fourth game suspended?
    If so he will be back for Walsall.
  • Disgusting home turnout yesterday. Why aren't people bothered about the cup anymore? I bet we sell out at Luton though, away games are more fun..
  • "Disgusting"?

–adjective
    causing disgust; offensive to the physical, moral, or aesthetic taste.

Blimey, you're easilly offended if you find a football crowd, or the absence of a larger crowd at any rate, "disgusting".
  • To be honest, I don't see why people were expecting more than about 10,000 yesterday. It was a cup tie against lower league opposition, and we havent got the best of records in those games, we've had a few home games in a row, and it was bloody freezing. I think the turnout wasn't bad considering. Decent game, althought we could do without the replay. One thing that ruined the game a bit was a guy near me, somewhere around the middle of H block, who was screaming abuse at all our players, without exception, for the whole game. God knows what he's like when we're really playing badly. When Llera missed that kick I thought he'd explode.
  • [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Disgusting home turnout yesterday. Why aren't people bothered about the cup anymore? I bet we sell out at Luton though, away games are more fun..

Theres nothing fun about going to that tip.
  • Sorry off_it i didn't have my dictionary at hand when i was writing that comment. It's guys like you on this forum that give me the hump. Perhaps i should of said "poor home turn out" or "pathetic"? My opinion and to be honest i can write what i want. This is primarily a football forum and that is what should be discussed. Not fellow Lifers grammer! Don't criticize me again you f**king moron.
  • [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Sorry off_it i didn't have my dictionary at hand when i was writing that comment. It's guys like you on this forum that give me the hump. Perhaps i should of said "poor home turn out" or "pathetic"? My opinion and to be honest i can write what i want. This is primarily a football forum and that is what should be discussed. Not fellow Lifers grammer! Don't criticize me again you f**king moron.

Yep, your opinion and all I'm saying is that if you were "disgusted" by it then you must be easilly offended. If you weren't disgusted then why say it? Don't see what on earth that has to do with your grammar. Don't see where I have criticized you either. However, I clearly am a "fucking moron". Ah well, daresay I'll live.
  • [cite]Posted By: DartfordAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]10% we go out to luton 40% we get knocked out where we should be entering the competition 50% we're into the 4th round minimum !!

shouldn't you wait untill the draw before making those percentages ;) lol

yep you're right
    10% we go out to luton 90% spurs knock us out
  • Sponsored links:

• And as i said bad choice of words by me. My point is I don't come on here to have my "choice of wording"criticized. If you have an opinion on my footballing views then that's fair enough. This sort of argument has come up a number of times on this forum and in my opinion it's pathetic. I'm sure its not the first time you have been called a f**king moron so I daresay you will live.
  • [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]And as i said bad choice of words by me. My point is I don't come on here to have my "choice of wording"criticized. If you have an opinion on my footballing views then that's fair enough. This sort of argument has come up a number of times on this forum and in my opinion it's pathetic. I'm sure its not the first time you have been called a f**king moron so I daresay you will live.

Yes mate, it's a discussion board about football, so no need to get your knickers in a twist.

If you're now saying you made a bad choice of words then fair enough, I get you. But I don't see how it makes me a "f**king moron" just because I commented on your post. I mean, how was I to know that wasn't what you meant? You said it, not me. I haven't put any words into your mouth, but hey, you go for the swearing and insults if you want.
  • Off it mate I suppose it's better to be a moron that's f*****g than to just be a moron!
  • A typical Charlton cup performance, no real urgency with several below par performances. Highlight of the day was watching some lifers ride the bull in the lib after the game.
  • I just don't understand off_it why you and a few others on this site have to correct other peoples grammer. Pointless posts!
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DartfordAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]10% we go out to luton 40% we get knocked out where we should be entering the competition 50% we're into the 4th round minimum !!

shouldn't you wait untill the draw before making those percentages ;) lol

yep you're right
    10% we go out to luton 90% spurs knock us out

10% we go out to Luton ? If you ever become a bookie remind me to give you a miss! I would supect that in the replay. We will be aroud 7-4 and Luton maybe 2-1 the Draw 5-2 . That means Luton 35 % and Charlton 40 % The Draw 25 % of happening - give or take a percentage point.
  • beds we either get knocked out by luton or go thru against them ...... i think we are as good as thru basically and we'll deffo lose to spurs in next round
  • For the last time agim, I did not "correct" your grammar. You gave the opinion that the turnout was disgusting and all I said was that if you were disgusted by the numbers of a football crowd then you were easilly offended.

You've since said that wasn't entirely what you meant and was a poor choice of words. Fair enough, but how did I know that just by reading your post?

It's the equivalent of me saying someone played "shit" and you coming on to say if I thought that was shit then what about x y and Z and then I change my mind. Isn't that what these forums are all about?

For the final time. I never corrected your grammar or criticized you. You said "disgusting" I just said I thought that was a bit much. End of.
  • Luton are only where they because of 30 points deducted. Unfortunately thay gave us a football lesson, but then most teams do. I sit there every week almost and wonder how the other team manage to find space and use the full width of the pitch, and we mainly rely on the long ball. A good coach would improve our squad dramatically, so there you have my wish for Xmas.
  • Luton surprised me and if the way they played on Saturday was not a one off I can't see them missing out on promotion to the football league. Very decent footballing side and very much enjoyed watching them in all honesty. One of the better teams I have seen at The Valley this season. Mind you, only been to a handful of games.

Unneeded extra game at a hostile place is awaiting.