Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Johnson

WSSWSS
edited January 2011 in Other Football and Sports
Left Peterborough.

Comments

• Options
    I'd take him.
  • Options
    YES PLEASE
  • Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    Hasn't exactly done wonders at Peterborough
  • Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    I'd take him if we can't get : Howe, Poyet, O'Driscoll, Davies
  • Options
    no thanks
  • Options
    Preferably not
  • Options
    With so many other clubs without a manager he could be going anywhere.
  • Options
    good 2nd choice for any of the cliubs

i dont think it quite worked out for gary johnson there

2 years ago this board wouldve been 100% yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I'd take him if we can't get : Howe, Poyet, O'Driscoll, Davies

Off your head on the last three
  • Options
    good call cant see it though
  • Options
    Really rate Johnson. Not gone well at Peterborough but would still have him if we don't get Howe. Bit more experience and his teams play decent football.
  • Options

Shows how managers fortunes wax and wane year by year and club by club.

Wouldn't be my first choice but wouldn't be too upset if it was him.

Parky to Posh anyone. Their board might have been impressed by the 1 - 5 mauling or will they swallow their pride and ask fergie jnr back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite].

Shows how managers fortunes wax and wane year by year and club by club.

Wouldn't be my first choice but wouldn't be too upset if it was him.

Parky to Posh anyone. Their board might have been impressed by the 1 - 5 mauling or will they swallow their pride and ask fergie jnr back?

I think that scenario pretty much sums up the madness of the managerial merry-go-round.

The Posh fans probably have the same contempt for Johnson that some on here have for Parkinson and yet they would probably be pleased to get Parkinson and we would be reasonably happy with Johnson. It all depends on your perspective!

Johnson would be an OK selection, but when was the last time the 5th placed team sacked their manager and installed the manager of a team below them in the table?

Peterborough are 7th and yet we belted them 5-1 not much more than six weeks ago, funny old game.
  • Options
    Johnson did not do such a bad job there imho, inherited a losing mentality and a club that had overachieved under Ferguson jnr. They are not a million miles away from the top end of the league and could still be there or therabouts come May. Despite being defensively awful, they are probably only a couple of players away from being a good all round team.

Johnson had an excellent record before Posh, and although it may appear a blot on his record- his reign was hardly a disaster.

Would prefer others, but would not be adverse to Johnson turning up at The Valley.
  • Options
    Would be surreal if we took him now - what on earth would Parky think? Surey that the lunatics had taken over the asylum...

(Still prefer Johnson to Dennis the Menace any day, though...)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Would be surreal if we took him now - what on earth would Parky think? Surey that the lunatics had taken over the asylum...

(Still prefer Johnson to Dennis the Menace any day, though...)

My view is that having sacked Parkinson whilst in the Play Offs that the new owners need to appoint a seriously impressive new manager who is a genuine step up the ladder from Parkinson.

Would Johnson be such a manager? Doubtful.

Howe? Yes, given they are above us in the table on much smaller resources and the fact that he is in hot demand.

Wise? Ahem!
  • Options
    I would love Johnson to come here. Did a great job with the Latvian national team, followed that up with a great job at Yeovil, then did a good job with Bristol City and has a poor time at Posh.

Heard some really good things about him when he was at Yeovil. Knows the lowed divisions, good tatically and gets the best out of players.

Writing him off because of their result against us and his couple of months at Peterborough probably says more about the modern football fan than him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I would love Johnson to come here. Did a great job with the Latvian national team, followed that up with a great job at Yeovil, then did a good job with Bristol City and has a poor time at Posh.

Heard some really good things about him when he was at Yeovil. Knows the lowed divisions, good tatically and gets the best out of players.

Writing him off because of their result against us and his couple of months at Peterborough probably says more about the modern football fan than him.

I am certainly not writing him off, he is a very well respected manager and would probably do a good job here. My point is that he is thoroughly disliked by many Posh fans despite them being 7th in the league having been there for less than a year! I read some of their sites after the 5-1 game and some of the stuff about him was way over the top.

Fans' expectations are out of control though, you are right about that.

In terms of Johnson coming to us though, Parkinson might find it a tad surprising to be replaced by a bloke below him in the table whose team he has only recently belted 5-1.

In addition, I think its fair to say that with the supposed cash that the new owners have that many people would be expecting a major appointment rather than someone like Johnson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the summer I wanted him as a possibility as manager if Parky left. Still think the same now.
  • Options
    fans expectations differ i prefer over howe
  • Options
    I'd take him tbh - I prefer Howe but he'd certainly be an able backup option
  • Options
    I put the below in the Eddie Howe Thrad beofre i see this thread.

Gary Johnson - Lets get him in now, he has had sucess at Yeovil and B City and has expericed of not only this league but the one we are trying to get to. Johnson has also been pretty succesful when spending money. Ticks all the boxes for me.
  • Options
    No thanks.

A motivator granted, tactician ? Many have stated Parky would not cut it in the Championship what is there to suggest Johnson can, assuming he can get us up there in the first place.
  • Options
    yes please
  • Options
    after sacking him City went from strength to strength didn't they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]No thanks.

A motivator granted, tactician ? Many have stated Parky would not cut it in the Championship what is there to suggest Johnson can, assuming he can get us up there in the first place.

He took Bristol City to the play offs only losing to a inform Hull City. He can really spot a player Nicky Manyard is one that springs to mind.
  • Options
    I remember reading Bristol City fans saying he would only leave them to go to Watford, maybe he knows Mackay is off to Burnley.

I don't think I can remember so many sackings throughout the leagues in such a short period of time.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Agree with Ormiston and StrikerFirmani. Can't see how Johnson is any better than Parky. That Peterborough team can score goals but checking their results we weren't the only team to thrash them. Brighton beat them 3-0. Southampton 4-1 and Bournemouth 5-1.
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]No thanks.

He took Bristol City to the play offs only losing to a inform Hull City. He can really spot a player Nicky Manyard is one that springs to mind.
    Parky can spot a player.