Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Johnson

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]we are in for them.

who Johnson and Robson?

edited - long day, meant him.
  • Options
    More I think about, the more I think he'll be a good fit for us, depends on the deal done with Darragh MacAnthony, but it seems there was so much bad blood there, I suspect they wanted to get away from each other quickly
  • Options
    whatI'm beginning to think as well Rothko... mini Fergie might be off the menu as well unless we are going to pull a real rabbit out the hat GJ is about as good as what there is around
  • Options
    Well mini Fergie has already had talks to go back to Peterborough!
  • Options
    Just imagine Peterborough sign Parky, we sign Johnson and they pip us to the final playoff spot...ouch!
  • Options
    I know mate their chairman is a right fruitcake

I remember him banging on and on and on about McLean being worth £5million not a penny less for zonks

I believe they sold him for £1.2million last week?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    He has a 42.28% win ratio, i.e. 641 games with 271 wins. Eddie Howe has a 50.50% win ratio. Imo, 42.28% is good. Curbs was 38.06% for us (Championship / EPL) and 40.85% for WHU (EPL).

Parkinson was 28.83% for Hull and 38.6% for us hence the division between the supporters over his sacking. I can see why Hull sacked him and as for us, too inconsistent despite his win record being ok for us.
  • Options
    To be fair though Jayajosh EH has only managed about 15% of the games that GJ has I think the win % stat may be a little distorted as a result
  • Options
    Johnson 1/2 with Skybet
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]To be fair though Jayajosh EH has only managed about 15% of the games that GJ has I think the win % stat may be a little distorted as a result

Agree with that. Howe has 101 games to 51 wins only with Bournmouth though.

Putting it into perspective, Johnson's stats are better than Warnocks who's win ratio is increasing more since managing QPR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Gary Johnson would be a disaster, I know he done well at Yeovil and Bristol City but it did go badly wrong at the end there for him, my cousin is a City supporter, he feels that the best of Gary Johnson has passed, as quoted before, the defensive frailties at Peterborough are there to see. To be honest, none of the names mentioned fill me with glee (realistic names) only the ones we have no chance of getting, Poyet, Davies etc.
  • Options
    Looks like a manager that needs rest to me. Would prefer an up and coming boss with bags of enthusiasm and promise. Someone like that Eddie Howe fella.....oh
  • Options
    All the negatives seem to relate to his time at Peterborough. While all the positives people seem to be looking at his career as a whole.

If we're looking for a proven manager who's available he's got to be near the top of the list.
  • Options
    I would be ok with Johnson, but not exactly jumping for joy.
    Peterboro have terrible defensive problems, which they have had for a couple of seasons. He inherited the problem, but didn't solve it.
  • Options
    28% Win rate at latvia
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]28% Win rate at latvia

That's marvellous - I would have expected it to be about 2%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Looks like a manager that needs rest to me. Would prefer an up and coming boss with bags of enthusiasm and promise. Someone like that Eddie Howe fella.....oh

Paul Tisdale is the man then.
  • Options
    If the new owners are looking to make a big splash with the hiring of their first manager, it looks a lot better when you hire someone away from another club that wants to keep him (Howe) than it does someone who just got the sack (Johnson).
    That doesn't mean that Johnson would not be a good choice. Only a choice that wouldn't look so good when it was made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]If the new owners are looking to make a big splash with the hiring of their first manager, it looks a lot better when you hire someone away from another club that wants to keep him (Howe) than it does someone who just got the sack (Johnson).
    That doesn't mean that Johnson would not be a good choice. Only a choice that wouldn't look so good when it was made.

That's exactly what I have been saying, a recently sacked manager would not be a great look.

I mean, if Johnson (a good manager) comes in and struggles people will say "Why did we appoint him? He was on his way down anyway."

As I said previously this is exactly why the big boys tap up their new manager and get him in before they sack the incumbent, it saves all thie messing around and uncertainty.

In my view Slater should have kept PP on until he had lined up a replacement, others will disagree with that but are we really that much better off with Keith Peacock in charge?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Looks like a manager that needs rest to me. Would prefer an up and coming boss with bags of enthusiasm and promise. Someone like that Eddie Howe fella.....oh

Paul Tisdale is the man then.

Can't have a Charlton manager that wears neckerchiefs I'm afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

55 is fine. Just comparing and contrasting with other recent names such as Howe (33).

Absolutely. At least we'll have a manager who is older than me!
  • Options
    We have a man at the club his name is damien matthews well worth a punt
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]We have a man at the club his name is damien matthews well worth a punt

If they did that then it would look a desperate move indeed.

Matthews might have great potential but to sack your manager and then appoint the youth team coach does not exactly suggest a barrel load of ambition if you are the new owners.

The owners made a statement by sacking Parkinson, we await their next move with very keen interest and it really needs to be a good one.
  • Options
    agreed.
  • Options
    well i am going to keep saying DM until it happens people wanted adkins and he was just a physio DM plays great football and i reckon the younger players would run through walls for him
  • Options
    Odds suggest it's Johnson - he's 1/2 on now. Not that the bookies haven't been wrong twice before in the last few days. But rarely will they be wrong three times in a row!

Personally would still kill to have curbs back - although I can't see it happening
  • Options
    We would all like Curbs back, Si - but it ain't gonna happen.

If we appointed Johnson, I wouldn't be too disappointed.
  • Options
    I wish Parky had been given the chance with some money - oh well.

I would know like some immagination other than the merry-go-round. What about about Phillips as player manager? He has the 'Dickoff mentality' and scares me as much as he has defences. Can you immagine the fear he would instill coming on for the last 15mins if it was 0- 0 or we were 1-0 down. Simply one of the best.
  • Options
    Whoever it is doesn't yet need to build a team to challenge in the Prem.

All we need is a man to get us promoted this season.

If he does that, step one is accomplished.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Exactly Oggy we need to build a team to get us promoted and keep us steady midtable and then consolidate... once we're out we can't afford to come back and do a Peterborough or what Dagenham have done this year and Wycombe/Gillingham last in this division