Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Johnson

Comments

• Options
    Did very well at Yeovil (promoted twice) and at Bristol City (promoted once and lost play-off final to Hull)

"Disappointing" at P'boro but they were top early on and still only 7th with a game in hand. How much of that is down to him and how much P'boro, a club that sacked Fergie jnr and is now selling off their top players.

Doubt he would have been on the radar before but now he's been sacked who knows? Knows this level and has been a success twice in this division.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Did very well at Yeovil (promoted twice) and at Bristol City (promoted once and lost play-off final to Hull)

"Disappointing" at P'boro but they were top early on and still only 7th with a game in hand. How much of that is down to him and how much P'boro, a club that sacked Fergie jnr and is now selling off their top players.

Doubt he would have been on the radar before but now he's been sacked who knows? Knows this level and has been a success twice in this division.

Parky got Colchester promoted once and lost in the play offs with us. Posh were leaking goals like confetti and so were we.
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]No thanks.

He took Bristol City to the play offs only losing to a inform Hull City. He can really spot a player Nicky Manyard is one that springs to mind.

Most of us thought Parky could spot a player.

Don't get me wrong I am not pro Parky just concerend we don't end up with Parky mark II
  • Options
    Definitely would be my preferred choice.
  • Options
    Would love Johnson to come to Charlton.
  • Options
    I woudl be very suprised if since last night the board have not discussed this as an option and maybe even sounded Gary out today.

One thing that might stop this and im sure others on here will have a better idea than me but is it likly that Peterbrough would have a agreement with Johnson as part of his pay of that he can not work for a certain period of time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]...and his teams play decent football.

Peterborough season ticket holder texted Talksport this morning to say they'd been playing awful football all season.
  • Options
    Would have him or Howe to be honest.
  • Options
    Johnson would be a solid choice. He knows the lower divisions, and has the character to handle a club of our size. Howe might have been stepping-up too early into a bigger club. Expectations are lower at Bournemouth. Johnson has the experience to handle the situation and will have the required knowledge to put together a team to get us out of this division. He did a good job at both Yeovil & Bristol City. The problem at Peterborough is the chairman - unrealistic expectations, he thinks they should be in the Premier League.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]Johnson would be a solid choice. He knows the lower divisions, and has the character to handle a club of our size. Howe might have been stepping-up too early into a bigger club. Expectations are lower at Bournemouth. Johnson has the experience to handle the situation and will have the required knowledge to put together a team to get us out of this division. He did a good job at both Yeovil & Bristol City. The problem at Peterborough is the chairman - unrealistic expectations, he thinks they should be in the Premier League.

Also seems the chairman was picking the players to buy not Johnson himself.
  • Options
    I get the feeling there is something fundamentally wrong at Peterborough the team has been on the slide and the chairman is a loon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I always thought Johnson was a fantastic manager, his teams at Yeovil and Bristol C impressed me hugely when we played them (Yeovil in the cup, Brizzle in the league). I remember thinking at the time that Bristol were the best football playing team in the league and came very close to getting up to the Premier League, only to lose to Dean Windass's worldy in the playoff final.

I don't know what has gone wrong for him at Peterborough. Reports suggest him and the Chairman " could not see eye to eye on policy". Whatever that means. He seemed to have team with plenty of attacking threat but little in the way of defensive strength. Was that down to tactics or was it playing to strengths in the squad? Interesting to read what dansmudge said about someone saying Peterborough were playing bad football.

I certainly wouldn't be averse to Johnson. There will be few managers that don't have that experience of "failure" on their CV, and out of the more experience managers being mentioned in connection to us (unofficially), I think he would be one of the better ones.
  • Options
    He might bring McLean and Mckail-Smith with him!
  • Options
    it went badly wrong at the end of his time at City. big rows on the bench and in the dressing room and took some big defeats (6 nil to Cardif, 5- 2 to Donny).

he's got the track record but like any long serving manager it has a few blemishes. He's 55 too but that's not much older than O'Driscoll.

ABW
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]He might bring McLean and Mckail-Smith with him!
    He might struggle bringing McLean seeing he plays for Hull...
  • Options
    McLean has already gone to Hull.

Would take Mackail-Smith though!
  • Options

McLean signed for Hull a couple of weeks ago
  • Options
    George Boyd too just to please Addick Addict who I think mentioned him once or twice on a thread some time back ; - )
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Interesting to read what Scoham said about someone saying Peterborough were playing bad football.
    I guess you meant dansmudge's quote? I only mentioned some poor results they had, we weren't the only team to thrash them this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Interesting to read what Scoham said about someone saying Peterborough were playing bad football.
    I guess you meant dansmudge's quote? I only mentioned some poor results they had, we weren't the only team to thrash them this season.

Oops, yes I did - now edited!
  • Options
    If JOhnson (which I thought might happen 18 months ago) I would take him now! and bring 1 or 2 of the Posh players, Boyd, Mackail-Smith, McCann.

Still say Leon Legge at Beeford, Plays well every time I see him against CAFC

Green from Daggers

and quality striker. LeFondre

But all this depends on funds to the new man???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he would worry me based on the fact that one of our main problems is how many goals we are shipping compared to the other teams in the top half of the table. johnson's peterboro are the only team to have conceded more than us in the top half which doesnt fill me with hope that he'd be able to sort it out.
  • Options
    The question is 'Is Johnson better than the bloke we have just let go?' For me the answer is yes, so I would be happy with this appointment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    He might struggle bringing McLean seeing he plays for Hull...

Darn....too slow!

I need to keep up with these transfers
  • Options
    it went badly wrong at the end of his time at City. big rows on the bench and in the dressing room and took some big defeats (6 nil to Cardif, 5- 2 to Donny).

he's got the track record but like any long serving manager it has a few blemishes. He's 55 too but that's not much older than O'Driscoll.

Bit of an ageist remark there 'young henners'

Do not notice too many young kids managing top clubs in the prem!

Are we expecting him to actually play! Ferguson, Wenger, Rednapp all in there 60s..... even Kenny Dalglish is 60 this year.

I really do not care what age, they be young or old, but want someone who can get us out of this league!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]it went badly wrong at the end of his time at City. big rows on the bench and in the dressing room and took some big defeats (6 nil to Cardif, 5- 2 to Donny).

Bit of an ageist remark there 'young henners'

Do not notice too many young kids managing top clubs in the prem!

Are we expecting him to actually play! Ferguson, Wenger, Rednapp all in there 60s..... even Kenny Dalglish is 60 this year.

I really do not care what age, they be young or old, but want someone who can get us out of this league!

Shut it granddad!

55 is fine. Just comparing and contrasting with other recent names such as Howe (33).
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    not sure really :/
    i keep thinking of he's time at Peterborough and the fact they let 5 in against us haha !!
    but then i remember what he done at bristol

i would like a manager with a bit more passion in there a typical (tracksuite manager - not the suite type who just crosses arms )
    interesting thing - PUFC assistant manager is Mark Robson - could he be coming back to Charlton if Johnson get's it
  • Options
    I remember Bristol City beating us despite us having a better player in nearly every position.

Sign him up please.
  • Options
    Will we have a manager by Saturday?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Talksport claiming we are in for him.

Although the shite they have spouted recently I would take that with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]we are in for them.

who Johnson and Robson?