Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Johnson

Comments

• Options
    Curbs is fantasy I think much as many of us would like it.

If our owners DO have money I'd try and tempt Dave Jones from Cardiff.

He's done well every where he's been and but for that court case, where he was completely exonerated, his reputation would be very high.
  • Options
    i'd definitely take Gary Johnson - a bit of experience,plays attacking football, bubbly character and knows league 1 and champ. i'm glad we didn't get howe - we need some experience down there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Odds suggest it's Johnson - he's 1/2 on now. Not that the bookies haven't been wrong twice before in the last few days. But rarely will they be wrong three times in a row!

Personally would still kill to have curbs back - although I can't see it happening
    Pretty sure it's not the bookies setting the price here, few people seeing him available, placing a few punts and hey presto it drives the price down. I don't think we can go on the betting markets for clues as to the next manager
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Exactly Oggy we need to build a team to get us promoted and keep us steady midtable and then consolidate

Agreed, ISaw. Despite his Posh experience this season, a Gary Johnson type might just be what we need for now.
  • Options
    Was he even that bad at Posh this season though? I know we hammered them, but after winning tonight they're ahead of us in the table having played the same number of games. I think he'd be a great appointment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lacole[/cite]Was he even that bad at Posh this season though? I know we hammered them, but after winning tonight they're ahead of us in the table having played the same number of games. I think he'd be a great appointment.

They won because he wasn't there.

Managers who have teams leaking goals which he has on many occasions are an accident waiting to happen. The adage you build from the back is often lacking.
  • Options
    We all know Johnson's ability to get teams playing good football. The unknown for me is whether he performs when he has money to spend which he would have here. No doubt he would be highly motivated to show Peterborough what he can do, we could do a lot worse. Having said that the only information reaching me suggests that Wise is nailed on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Having said that the only information reaching me suggests that Wise is nailed on.

Nailed on a cross hopefully
  • Options
    I wish that we had instilled Wise straight after sacking Parky now. I wasn't pro-Wise and I think people calling Slater a liar were over the top, but I would rather have a liar with a plan than an honest bloke who doesn't know what he's doing.

Getting Johnson in would be a joke.... it has to be someone from a higher division, a big name, or someone from a League One or Two club that hasn't just been sacked. I can't believe that Peterborough have been so leaky in defence this season because of the chairman, that's not a million miles away from Pardew blaming the tealady!
  • Options
    There was an assumption we pulled away from the Howe deal because it was dragging on. I believe it may have been moreso because Johnson became available. I think he is preferred over other suggested candidates because he would be more suited and capable in the Championship should we go up than perhaps Howe or Tisdale. Either way I dont believe it will be Wise and I do believe we will know before Saturday, perhaps even today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also, Keegan to Fulham - was a massive statement of the club's intentions. Grayson dropping down a division to Leeds. A massive statement of ambition again. Norwich getting Lambert in a week or so after his Colchester side had mauled them at home - another great statement.

Even though I wasn't overly excited Eddie Howe to us would have been a similar statement of intent.

I desperately want us to make a statement. Charlton are back. Get out of our way. We're heading in the right direction again!

Not... we can't find anyone else so we'll take this bloke who used to have a good reputation but this season has had worse results AND performances than Parkinson and has just been sacked.

I want a bang not a whimper.
  • Options
    Do we know for a fact that he will have money to spend (and I'm talking a significant amount).

I can't help thinking that if we had a few quid to splash around on players, we would already have a manager by now (either Howe or someone else)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]There was an assumption we pulled away from the Howe deal because it was dragging on. I believe it may have been moreso because Johnson became available. I think he is preferred over other suggested candidates because he would be more suited and capable in the Championship should we go up than perhaps Howe or Tisdale. Either way I dont believe it will be Wise and I do believe we will know before Saturday, perhaps even today.
    I have no reason to believe you either way but I hope it gets sorted today in typical Charlton style, slightly under the radar while some other big story breaks in the sporting world...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]There was an assumption we pulled away from the Howe deal because it was dragging on. I believe it may have been moreso because Johnson became available. I think he is preferred over other suggested candidates because he would be more suited and capable in the Championship should we go up than perhaps Howe or Tisdale. Either way I dont believe it will be Wise and I do believe we will know before Saturday, perhaps even today.

Interesting take on it.

Hope you are right that it will be sorted soon. Not because I think there is enormous time pressure (we've not even played 50% of our league games yet and the window is open for another three weeks).

The reason I hope it is resolved is so that the whole club including the fans can focus on the future, get behind the new manager, new board (while still asking questions of them) and the team.

I still say we have some good and a few very good players for this level and the likes of Eccelstone can only improve that. 24 games = 72 points which by themselves would be nearly enough for a play-off place. All to play for IMHO.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    www.footballfancast.com/2011/01/football-blogs/11111-11-managers-gone-since-christmas
    The sackings were rounded up by the 11th on the 11/1/11 when Gary Johnson left Peterborough United by ‘mutual consent’. With the club sitting seventh in League One, most would say there were on target for a decent season, so why would he want to leave? It has emerged that Johnson and the Chairman ‘did not see eye-to-eye’ and were unable to work together any more.

So there we have it, 11 sackings in just over two weeks. Most of them do seem fair enough, with a change at the helm inevitable if the clubs are to fight their way out of relegation trouble. However, there are the unlucky ones like Parkinson, who was dismissed possibly harshly, and Johnson, who can count himself unfortunate that his relationship with his Chairman wasn’t ‘pally’ enough.
  • Options
    From wiki:

Bristol city's famous chant of 'Johnson says bounce around the ground' was inspired by Gary Johnson who was quoted to saying in an interview before a league game that he wanted the fans bouncing around.

Perfect fit for the bouncy bouncy song then ;-)
  • Options
    Looks likely - now 1/5 on Skybet!!
  • Options
    I'm probably on skybet! Don't take what they say as gospel.
  • Options
    Still worried about that Latvia figure....
  • Options
    Howe was 1/10 this time yesterday i think, I have given up following the odds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I want a bang not a whimper.

Wise words , i agree with you, the appointment of Paul Lambert sent out a message that Norwich meant business , and were going in one direction , not make do and mend as has been the case , we have been treading water for too long , we need some new wellies , with vision and ambition.

I don't want a 'he'll just about do ' type of manager because noone else wants the job, good decisions made now could change our direction for the next 2-3 years, and affect our moods as supporters considerably for years to come!

If Howe wanted to stay , then fine , i'm sure he will have done alright , but this decision for us is key , we've do not have a good track record in recent years with management appointments.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Still worried about that Latvia figure....

I'd say a 28% win ratio with the LATVIAN national team is pretty bloody impressive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm probably on skybet! Don't take what they say as gospel.

Just checked, your right, Harry Potter is 5/1 to be next manager!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm probably on skybet! Don't take what they say as gospel.[/quote]

Just checked, your right, Harry Potter is 5/1 to be next manager![/quote]Keep that up and one day you'll be as funny as Medders/burning orphanage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]From wiki:

Bristol city's famous chant of 'Johnson says bounce around the ground' was inspired by Gary Johnson who was quoted to saying in an interview before a league game that he wanted the fans bouncing around.

Perfect fit for the bouncy bouncy song then ;-)

Went to the 2008 Play Off final between Bristol City and Hull, the Bristol City fans on the tube were bouncing around singing- "Johnson says rock/bounce the tube". Was great to watch, they loved Gary Johnson back then and I would imagine despite a poor end to his management there- they still have a lot of affection for the guy.

As for that game, the only difference was Windass's worldy and a couple of poor finishes by the frontmen on Bristol City (Trundle, Byfield). Like many on here was impressed with them when they played at The Valley that year aswell.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

I'd say a 28% win ratio with the LATVIAN national team is pretty bloody impressive.[/quote]

just joshing Stu, (though it is regarded as the LEAST successful 2 years in Latvian football history, after he left they qualified for the European championships and they came 3rd in 2010 WC qualification. Starkovs, Johnsons deputy and subsequent replacement, did far better in his first three years in charge, before being poached by Spartak Moscow, and is looking good in the four years he has been at the second bite of the cherry) but on a serious note why

a Did they employ Johnson out of the panoply of available managers and
    b Get rid of him in fairly short order
  • Options
    Appointed Northampton manager.
  • Options
    Sacked as Northampton Manager.
  • Options
    errrr.. I was in favour of him replacing Powell last spring ... may my sin be forgiven oh lord
  • Options
    errrr.. I was in favour of him replacing Powell last spring ... may my sin be forgiven oh lord
    I was in favour of him getting the job when Parky was sacked.