Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace new ground plans

Comments

• Options
    The plans would include a new stadium built on the National Sports Centre site, with a capacity eventually rising to 40,000, together with other facilities, including an aquatic centre next to the stadium and a new athletics track for the use of the local community.

Are they trying to re-sign Andy Johnson then?? ;-)
    lol very good !
  • Options
    I feel dirty just visiting that website
  • Options
    The plans would include a new stadium built on the National Sports Centre site, with a capacity eventually rising to 40,000, together with other facilities, including an aquatic centre next to the stadium and a new athletics track for the use of the local community.

lol very good !
    Blimey...You're on form today !!
    ;-)

• Options
    Some months ago, there was an article on the O/S about us moving to a new stadium at the Greenwich Peninsula that met with stern resistance from fans - could never understand that attitude TBH.
  • Options

Not true, it is to make them feel like they are at the seaside (Brighton)

• Options
    Some months ago, there was an article on the O/S about us moving to a new stadium at the Greenwich Peninsula that met with stern resistance from fans - could never understand that attitude TBH.
    Really? Why?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Really? Why?

Why?,Mainly because i see it as huge progress - a chance to have a 40,000 stadium effectively given to us, right next to a tube station, on the river, right opposite Canary Wharf with all the possible benefits emanating from the financial sector - a lot of 'new' fans - a probablity to play regularly, ManU,ManC,Chels,Arse - instead of the possiblity of Chesterfield,Hartlepool and Rochdale - to me , forget the sentimental element of the Valley, this HAS to be the way forward, what other clubs fans have rejected the chance to move to a new stadium - have the fans of Soton,Reading,Derby,ManC,Brighton moaned and rejected the chance to progress? - no, of course they havnt - it just seems that Lidl ol Charlton fans want to remain in their cave ,stick their one-eyed heads in the sand ,reject the chance of progress and stick to their old habits - no wonder we yo-yo between the divisons.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'd rather go up and down the leagues and stay true to our history and keep playing at the valley rather than playing in some plastic legoset.
  • Options
    I'd rather go up and down the leagues and stay true to our history and keep playing at the valley rather than playing in some plastic legoset.
    Nuff said.
    I dont.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2012
    But the Baseball Ground, The Dell, Elm Park, Withdean were nowhere near as advanced or had the capability to expand significantly without a ridiculously expensive overhaul like The Valley is.

We've done it bit by bit, retained our identity and history and still can increase. There are examples to counteract yours of clubs expanding their existing grounds and being successful - United the leading example.

Moving to the peninsula would not suddenly see the bankers start supporting Charlton and I'd suggest the transport links are a lot worse for 95% of our fans.

Just because 'everyone else' does it, doesn't mean we have to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We already have/had permission for 40,000 capacity.
    Forget the sentimental element of the Valley? After 50 years, nah not me.
    Not saying I'd give up if we moved, but as more and more people are priced out of top live games can't see the attraction of a potential white elephant by the river.
    "Your ground is too big for you" etc
  • Options
    Not saying I'd give up if we moved, but as more and more people are priced out of top live games can't see the attraction of a potential white elephant by the river.
    Wouldnt happen if we were in the Prem - it would certainly be full for at least half the games, Chels,Spurs,Arse,Spam,QPR,Liv,ManU,ManC, We were a sell-out of 27k for virtually all our prem games - if there was a latent 10 per cent, then we would be getting 30k plus for the rest.
    Cant believe that anyone would say that transport would be worse for 95 per cent of fans - have you ever been to the O2??
    Put your sentimental glasses away and look to the future - the future is progress.
    Or i'll see you at the Valley for the home game v Dartford in a few seasons time.
    Dartford or ManU ?- i know what i want.
  • Options
    Aye, staying at The Valley will result in relegation and a new ground will result in European football, of course it's all so simple! Anyone know a club for sale?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2012
    Darlington havent stopped rising since they moved grounds. Or Derby. Or Coventry. Or Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    Wow, and i thought i was being extreme !
  • Options
    The majority of football stadia were built in what is now universally accepted as totally unacceptable residential streets with difficulty for the modern fan who doesn't turn out of the local factory and walk to the ground on a Saturday afternoon but needs to arrive by car or decent public transport on any number of days of the week. Not many grounds can fulfil the aspirations of clubs at the top and even the redevelopment of those stadiums used by lowly teams is expensive and not cost effective as an alternative to moving to a new site with purpose built facilities. In an ideal world I would like Charlton to be able to stay at The Valley and grow as required but if there are real ambitions for the club then I fear at some point moving will be inevitable. The peninsula site with its good transport links won't be available forever and if it is considered to be in the best long term interest of the club to move then I for one would be sad but exited in equal measure.
  • Options
    Aye, staying at The Valley will result in relegation and a new ground will result in European football, of course it's all so simple! Anyone know a club for sale?
    Quite!
  • Options
    The outdoor arena down the road has no no roof - think of how many people we get down the valley when it's cold and damp with a bit of protection due to having a roof ; now think of how many people we would get in an open air arena when it's cold , damp and Rainy- 5k ?
    The majority of the football season is during times that there is rain , so there could be a lot of money lost
  • Options
    The outdoor arena down the road has no no roof - think of how many people we get down the valley when it's cold and damp with a bit of protection due to having a roof ; now think of how many people we would get in an open air arena when it's cold , damp and Rainy- 5k ?
    The majority of the football season is during times that there is rain , so there could be a lot of money lost
    If and it's a big if Charlton were to move to a new stadium then I can categorically assure you that there will be a roof.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If and it's a big if Charlton were to move to a new stadium then I can categorically assure you that there will be a roof.

Thank you Shooters, has anybody heard of negotiation ? If it doesnt suit us then we dont move, simples. If its to be a state-of-the-art stadium then it will have to have 1) a roof (or 2) and 2) Decent beer.
    If it is beneficial to the club and helps us move forward then sentiment and heritage, i'm afraid, goes out the window. You cant just sit there and say you're not moving because you've always gone to the Valley,and your Dad and Grandad did too if so, then goodbye - you can stay there and watch Dartford, coz i'm going to the new stadium to watch us play Arsenal.
    Move on, get real, and think of what could happen.
    To me, its a total, absolute no-brainer- its at least a no-brainer not to dismiss it before we know what it is. ! Surely.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Darlington havent stopped rising since they moved grounds. Or Derby. Or Coventry. Or Middlesbrough.
    The Darlington arena has all but killed the club and due to the small crowds Coventry would actually be better off financially if they were still at Highfield Road! Cardiff's new ground was the missing piece of the jig saw needed for their push for the premiership.
  • Options
    The Darlington arena has all but killed the club and due to the small crowds Coventry would actually be better off financially if they were still at Highfield Road! Cardiff's new ground was the missing piece of the jig saw needed for their push for the premiership.
    In contrast, would Arsenal or Soton or ManC or Reading or Boro or Sunderlands fans say that they would still prefer to be at their old grounds ??
    I'm just trying to say that it is totally and utterly wrong to dismiss it just because of having a head-in-the-sand, stick in the mud attitude. If it shows an obvious financial benefit and shows that we could move forward then it should be seriously looked at - instead of just dismissing it for the sake of it. Just makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

If it is beneficial to the club and helps us move forward
    First I'd want to hear how it was beneficial and moves us forward
    - you can stay there and watch Dartford, coz i'm going to the new stadium to watch us play Arsenal.
    Since when does a bigger stadium stop you from ending up playing Dartford?
    Actually, the day we ever drop below league 1 is the day I call time
    To me, its a total, absolute no-brainer- its at least a no-brainer not to dismiss it before we know what it is. ! Surely.
    Yeh, lets hear what it is before we jump in with both feet, eh?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think this thread title needs changing...we seem to have taken a sharp turn somewhere (to the Peninsular!).

;-)
  • Options
    In contrast, would Arsenal or Soton or ManC or Reading or Boro or Sunderlands fans say that they would still prefer to be at their old grounds ??
    I'm just trying to say that it is totally and utterly wrong to dismiss it just because of having a head-in-the-sand, stick in the mud attitude. If it shows an obvious financial benefit and shows that we could move forward then it should be seriously looked at - instead of just dismissing it for the sake of it. Just makes no sense whatsoever.
    Yes, there's an obvious financial benefit moving to a 40k stadium after averaging 17k this season. 40k stadiums are dead cheap.

Strange that missed out on Hull and Swansea, the two best examples...
  • Options
    It all seems a bit Palace In Wonderland to me but there's naught wrong with having a dream.
  • Options
    Cant believe that anyone would say that transport would be worse for 95 per cent of fans - have you ever been to the O2??
    Doesn't everyone moan about the useless Jubilee Line at the O2? How else do you get to the peninsula? 40,000 fans all changing at London Bridge to get the Jubilee?
  • Options
    Change the thread title. I couldn't give a toss about a discussion about new stadia for palace.

I have yet to see proof of any cash cow at the end of any premiership rainbow. The only clubs who really compete in the premiership are those subsidised by billionaires. Name any club other than man u who make an annual profit on a regular basis.
    How much money did man city lose last year? I believe it was close to 200 million.

I would be perfectly happy to build up the quality of our team slowly and gain promotion to the prem when we earn it. Once in the prem we should pay the players their bonuses and continue to sign cheap from the lower leagues. If that means instant relegation then so be it. However if we survived by some miracle then we could look to expand the valley. Let a few more years pass and if we are selling out 40,000 seats (with cafc fans not fans of other clubs) whilst still at the top table then we have a real conversation about moving to a super dooper 60,000 all seater state of the art stadium. I'd much rather we financially justify any new stadium with an appropriate supporter base and league position.
    I'm not looking to support a club who can stroke my ego by buying wins at the whim of some unseen billionaire knowing at any moment that success is built on floating clouds that could disappear at any time. Earn it through hard work and then enjoy the success.
  • Options
    If Charlton had neve left the Valley in 1985, the I can quite imagine us (like Millwall) moving to a new ground in the early 90s, the old Valley was a dump...
    But our circumstances are complately different now, we've already spent a fortune on our current ground, currently it is easily large enough for our fanbase, and it generates lots of commercial and corporate money already. Further, the Greenwich peninsula is a poor location for the majority of Charlton fans who come from Bexleyheath, Dartford and Kent, the Jubilee Line is no good for them, and imagine what the roads around there will be like is there is a blockage at the Blackwall Tunnel.
  • Options
    Doesn't everyone moan about the useless Jubilee Line at the O2? How else do you get to the peninsula? 40,000 fans all changing at London Bridge to get the Jubilee?
    Ever heard of the huge car parks at the O2 ?
    Or the 472 and 161 buses, (which incidentally, go past the Valley )