Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Half Time break, couple of things

124»

Comments

• Just get a copy off mull of kyntyre played by the pipes and drums boys full volume would be awsome if welcolmed could be a contender alöngside youl never walk alone.
  • BDL - great announcer.

FACT :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]BDL - great announcer.

FACT :-)

There is a need for a great announcer to be able to speak clearly, be they Mr Lockwood or anybody else. There are many occasions at the Valley when the voice on the tannoy is unclear...sometimes because it is rushed, or lacks amplitude or clear diction, or because the announcer turns away from the microphone....sometimes it is possible to hear announcements well, but not always.
  • Be thankful for what/who we have - remember Pete Nuttall ? :-)
    There does seem to be overkill with pre-match announcements, all the ticket news which, even if you can hear properly, is difficult to comprehend. At least BDL has gone back to doing the first read-out of the teams BEFORE the player DJ bit!
  • The only time you may struggle to hear BDL clearly is when the crowd is making noise. The proof of the clarity of BDL's delivery or otherwise can easily be demonstrated if you sit in the stadium and listen as the ground slowly fills up with people. At this point you will realise that it has absolutely nothing to do with Big D's diction, he sounds crystal clear and professional. Dave has a very loud voice when he needs it. I can vouch for that :-)
    I think there are times when the volume on the PA could be turned up a bit. There are also times when maybe too much information is squeezed into a very short time slot which means BDL has to whizz through it. That is hardly his fault, he has to read what he is given.
    I think he brings a good balance of evident support for the home team with the professional match day public voice of the club.
    He is a true Charlton fan, a genuinely nice bloke, and he also happens to be extremely good at what he does.
  • yeah yeah and he's kind to animals :-)
  • Just another quick point...

The 'lets make some noise for the boys' just before kick off really makes me cringe!
  • He is indeed very kind to animals :-)
    And don't get me started on his work for charity :-)
  • Someone (with the know how) should do something with this song: 'The Valley' by Duran Duran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzqIDYBc6s

The title and lyrics are poignant for Charlton:

These are days of hit and run
    In the stream with everyone
    Is a moment of our lives

On a wandering river
    Going on together
    Many journeys to arrive

I've been walking
    Through the Valley
    Through the tall grass
    And the shadows
    And I feel it
    I can see it
    Yes I need it
    I believe it
  • my life no f...... thanks camp as a row of tents
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]He is a true Charlton fan, a genuinely nice bloke, and he also happens to be extremely good at what he does.

There is certainly no dispute about this.
    I also suspect that some of the content of what he obliged to say is dictated by others, and leads to rushing.
    When there are half time or pre match things going on with people gathered by the half way line (positioned in a particularly hard to see way incidentally) then the stuff being said or announced there is especially poor...and I don't know who does this bit, there have been loads of times when folk around me responding to smatterings of applause ask 'whats happening?' or 'what was that?'...I suppose nowdays I ignore it...but I wouldn't mind knowing whats happening on those occasions.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]As someone else said good annunciation is the key. They should be read as if the purpose is for people to hear them not rattled though to get them over with.

Have to agree, the half-time scores are harder to understand recently ... maybe this is the problem.
  • Not great. would be much better without the annoying voice.
  • Jeez some people will look for anything to moan about. Have never had a problem hearing BDL and thats over the sounds of flasks being opened and faslse teeth chattering.

BDL does a great job, go back to moaning about the players or picking teams with goats ... plum by name plum by nature.
  • At least we don't have to put up with Black Eyed Peas prancing around on a giant Pokéball.
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS [/cite] Posted By: Chirpy Red

VFR should never be played, only sung.

Or preferably neither!

Please tell me that was sarcasm

Errrr.......No. I can't stand it. I've said it many, many times before. It is just so soft.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]BDL does a great job ...

Kap ... it isn't BDL that is the problem ... he can be heard very clearly.
  • Crikey are we struggling to find anything to moan about that it is at the point where some people are complaining about BDL?
    Seriously, what has he done wrong?
    FECK ALL!
    he is a top guy and is very good at his job.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]it sounds like the sort of thing that Palace would play

what next the team announcements only saying the first name of the players and we shout the surname like the Nigels do?

This
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to agree that I struggle to understand enough about what is going on to follow some halftime presentations. However, as before I fully believe this is to do with the sound system, not BDL.

Seth I know neither you nor BDL but you post appears to have a touch of personal vendetta about it?
  • Once again, It isn't BDL, it was whoever read out theLEAGUE 1 and LEAGUE2 scores.

It was crap, nothing to do with sound system.

He sounded like he had the flu and didn't give a toss who heard the results.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Jeez some people will look for anything to moan about. Have never had a problem hearing BDL and thats over the sounds of flasks being opened and faslse teeth chattering.

BDL does a great job, go back to moaning about the players or picking teams with goats ... plum by name plum by nature.

What do you mean by that? Do explain please.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]I have to agree that I struggle to understand enough about what is going on to follow some halftime presentations. However, as before I fully believe this is to do with the sound system, not BDL.

Seth I know neither you nor BDL but you post appears to have a touch of personal vendetta about it?

To my knowledge I have never met, seen or spoken to BDL. As far as I know he has never interacted with me in any way, nor I with him. Previous to BDL I believe that John Lucas used to do announcements....for all I know he still does. My posts on here are entirely about the clarity of the speech from the tannoy system whatever the source, I have read them again, and fail to see where it is personalised. Hope that clears things up.
  • Nice positive thread to drag up...(sorry!)
    I know to some, messing with The Clash is sacrilegious but listening to this reminded me of that 'CAFC' one. 

http://www.boototom.info/mashup/ToToM-New_Born_Calling.mp3
    Maybe for one half-time next season just to mix things up?