Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jim Davidson

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]I have no real thoughts on Davidson either way.
    But find it amazing that many on here are berating him for being an offensive racist bigot.Probably the same people that are kissing Frankie Boyles arse on the 'Comedians you Like/Hate' thread. Bizarre

Absolutely right. Boyle makes Jim Davidson look like mother Teresa ( and i happen to think he's funny,).

Too many people on here who are holier than thou . And i bet they weren't at Yeovil!
  • Let he without sin, cast the first stone
  • Valley McMoist.
    So as long as someone is an Addick then all else is irrelevant? We are straying into dangerous territory.

On the subject of comedy,there are some very good comedians who manage to be funny without causing offence to minorities - Jeremy Hardy is a particular favourite of mine.
  • The man makes me laugh, for those who take all comedian's jokes literally then don't go watch them. How about, George Carlin, Richard Prior, Eddie Murphy, they all make the same type of jokes, take something shocking and turning it into a joke not because that's what they think.

Lighten up people.
  • I used to work on the turnstiles for the old covered end when I was about 15, remember letting Jim Davidson in to the boxes in the east, came up to my box with big sheepskin coat and a massive cigar and said 'let us in son, it's Jim' and slipped the ticket and a £10 note through the turnstile as well as a massive cloud of cigar smoke and proceeded to get his coat stuck in the turnstile!

Dozens of comedians have made a packet from his style of comedy, not to everyones taste but who cares. Not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.
  • Steady there SE7 "lighten up" might get you being called a racist on here.

Still when we find that Jim D is one of the money men behind the take over and the total moral melt down some on here will then go into ---well it will be about the only time anything Jim D has done that will make me actually laugh !
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]The man makes me laugh, for those who take all comedian's jokes literally then don't go watch them. How about, George Carlin, Richard Prior, Eddie Murphy, they all make the same type of jokes, take something shocking and turning it into a joke not because that's what they think.

Lighten up people.

I am not getting involved in the Jim Davidson debate as its been done to death on here before but I am pretty sure that if George Carlin were still with us to defend himself that he would be pretty horrified about being put in the same category as Jim Davidson and Eddie Murphy.

George Carlin was a fierce anti-establishment man and one of the most influential comedians of the late 20th/early 21st century, the others are not in the same universe as the much missed George.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
  • edited February 2011
    One of my friends went to school with him at St Austins.{Comment removed}
  • edited February 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]One of my friends went to school with him at St Austins.{comment removed}.[/quote]

Don't think hed have been the only one at the Fox.
    We all needed our money for the weekend right???

Bit of an accusation though?

I love Jim and all comedians from that era.

Except the twat with the goggles and stupid coat.
  • did we find out what he's done for Charlton Athletic yet, other than a bad joke about scorelines?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]did we find out what he's done for Charlton Athletic yet, other than a bad joke about scorelines?

Why does he have to do anything for Charlton?
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not a fan either way but this sort of statement from dick plumb should be removed.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]did we find out what he's done for Charlton Athletic yet, other than a bad joke about scorelines?

sorry, someone on another thread if not this one insinuated he had and if only we knew, etc
  • Cannot believe people get so upset about the "I support Charlton nil....." line. It's a JOKE!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]did we find out what he's done for Charlton Athletic yet, other than a bad joke about scorelines?

sorry, someone on another thread if not this one insinuated he had and if only we knew, etc

What has Michael Grade ever done for Charlton? Sat on the board and never once put his hand in his pocket from what i can see. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe he's skint but bloody hell i'd have felt embarrassed watching our demise if i were him if he's loaded.
  • anyway, we are talking about Davidson, aren't we? Is there a Grade thread somewhere? :) the nil gag doesn't upset me, I just suggested that's all he's ever done for Charlton (that I know of)
  • I am not a great lover of JD, although I did have a audio disc of one of his gigs.

Yes he is politically incorrect, he may have been a tearaway at school. I am sure I wouldn't be too happy if he had make my school life less than happy.

As one of the so called Guardianistas - (to quote GH) on here (by the way I don't read the Guardian), I could easily go all PC about some of his material but I just think that after all he is just a comedian and that by definition he won't be everyones cup of tea. As far as I can tell, he just makes those people who like his brand of humour laugh. Everybody knows what he is like, those who don't like him don't need to watch him. There are laws which govern what you can and can't say and as far as I know he hasn't broken any laws.

He is a fellow Addick and some believe he may have put his hand in his pocket for our club. That makes him OK in my book. You don't personally have to like everyone who is an Addick fan - I don't like Chirpy for example! I do respect that we both share a common love of our club.

Why don't we leave it like that and acknowledge, as I think the original point was, that he isn't a plastic and he turned up on a blustery Saturday in February to watch his team play in tier 3? That has to draw some respect, even from his fiercest critics.

Only joking Chirpy......;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Cannot believe people get so upset about the "I support Charlton nil....." line. It's a JOKE!

Its a good line - always made me chuckle.
  • Something i found funny on Saturday i was just walking past when there were some charity collectors with buckets who had collared him by the doors of the directors lounge. So he was digging into his pocket to get out some change and I overheard the lady say "we do accept notes you know"... made me laugh. I didnt see the reaction as I was headed in the other direction.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I am not a great lover of JD, although I did have a audio disc of one of his gigs.

Yes he is politically incorrect, he may have been a tearaway at school. I am sure I wouldn't be too happy if he had make my school life less than happy.

As one of the so called Guardianistas - (to quote GH) on here (by the way I don't read the Guardian), I could easily go all PC about some of his material but I just think that after all he is just a comedian and that by definition he won't be everyones cup of tea. As far as I can tell, he just makes those people who like his brand of humour laugh. Everybody knows what he is like, those who don't like him don't need to watch him. There are laws which govern what you can and can't say and as far as I know he hasn't broken any laws.

He is a fellow Addick and some believe he may have put his hand in his pocket for our club. That makes him OK in my book. You don't personally have to like everyone who is an Addick fan - I don't like Chirpy for example! I do respect that we both share a common love of our club.

Why don't we leave it like that and acknowledge, as I think the original point was, that he isn't a plastic and he turned up on a blustery Saturday in February to watch his team play in tier 3? That has to draw some respect, even from his fiercest critics.

Only joking Chirpy......;o)

Well put.

With regards to the question of what he has put into the club, at the very least he has paid out considerable amounts of money on his box at the Valley over a number of years. I can't believe I'm defending him, but us Guardianistas do believe in fairness!
  • Sponsored links:

• Vile man. Smug, arrogant, intolerant. Totally embarrasing to have as a 'celebrity' fan. I don't care if he does 'do a lot for the club, but doesn't like to talk about'.
    I wonder if he's given Powell the benefit of his 'hilarious' Chalky routine yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Well put.
  • [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]Vile man. Smug, arrogant, intolerant. Totally embarrasing to have as a 'celebrity' fan. I don't care if he does 'do a lot for the club, but doesn't like to talk about'.
    I wonder if he's given Powell the benefit of his 'hilarious' Chalky routine yet.

know him personally do you?

I might not agree with everything he believes in (if we all agreed on everything the world would be a boring place)....but I generally quite like him and having seen him live, he was hilarious (if that sort of things makes you laugh)
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]Vile man. Smug, arrogant, intolerant. Totally embarrasing to have as a 'celebrity' fan. I don't care if he does 'do a lot for the club, but doesn't like to talk about'.

know him personally do you?

I might not agree with everything he believes in (if we all agreed on everything the world would be a boring place)....but I generally quite like him and having seen him live, he was hilarious (if that sort of things makes you laugh)
    No. I don't know him personally. I also don't know Nick Griffin personally and I must confess that I never really got to know Hitler either. Am I not allowed an opinion on those either?
  • [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]Vile man. Smug, arrogant, intolerant. Totally embarrasing to have as a 'celebrity' fan. I don't care if he does 'do a lot for the club, but doesn't like to talk about'.

Why , what does Chalky have to do with Chris Powell? What are you referring? You being racist surely?

When has he ever said he does anything for the club and doesn't want to talk about it?

Stop making things up and Get a life.( or a sence of humour)
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]Vile man. Smug, arrogant, intolerant. Totally embarrasing to have as a 'celebrity' fan. I don't care if he does 'do a lot for the club, but doesn't like to talk about'.

Why , what does Chalky have to do with Chris Powell? What are you referring? You being racist surely?

When has he ever said he does anything for the club and doesn't want to talk about it?

Stop making things up and Get a life.( or a sence of humour)

What did I make up?
    By 'get a sense of humour' I assume you mean start tolerating a racist dinosaur.

Yesterday, on another thread.
  • **sighs**

I give up...
  • edited February 2011
    Apparently, he was touring a few years back in the West Country when Charlton were playing an away game up north which was televised. The Chair of the CASC West Country Branch invited him round to watch the game before his performance and he showed up.

Personally, I wouldn't have let him in.

[cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]

With regards to the question of what he has put into the club, at the very least he has paid out considerable amounts of money on his box at the Valley over a number of years. I can't believe I'm defending him, but us Guardianistas do believe in fairness!

Funny, I thought anyone who paid money for the box got the box for the season. I went to Marks and Spencer once and gave them money and got a shirt in return - I haven't recieved any accolades or thanks for what I did for them since.

A good friend worked in a theatre and had to deal with him one evening. Apparently a nasty piece of work and I take her word for it over the clap trap of support for him spouted on here.

I love the demand for 'proof' and 'evidence' that people come out with when they don't like it alleged people like Davidson aren't what they thought. Reminds me a bit of those that deny the Holocaust.

As for Goonerhater, that chip gets bigger and bigger. One of his more intelligent friends has taught him a new word to refer to rational thinking people and he's determined to use it in every post. Guardianistas....tut. Here's one 'ignoramous'.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]**sighs**

I give up...

Poor you. If only everyone else was more like you.