Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

arsenal vs barca

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickforlife[/cite]Jack Wilshere just grew into a world class footballer. To stand out like he did when the likes of xavi, iniesta, fabregas,busguets etc are all in the midlfield battle was simply phenomonal. I actually hate arsenal, but have to admire!

gotta agree with that
  • Options
    Fantastic to watch. The 2nd leg is on the night we play MK away so some multi tasking to be done there.

First time I've really seen Wilshere, he is going to be some player. Still expect Barca to go through but it keeps things interesting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Arsenal to win 2-1 and RVP (50/1)

very very close, hard luck mate
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Fantastic to watch. The 2nd leg

is on the night we play MK away so some multi tasking to be done there.

First time I've really seen Wilshere, he is going to be some player. Still expect Barca to go through but it keeps things interesting.

Agreed. Barca will stroll through.
  • Options
    Fair play Wenger and the Gooners.

Should have been dead and buried by half time but the subs worked. RVP got a bit lucky with his goal but the winner was a nice build up and finish.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Barca will stroll through.

I agree they're still favourites. But a ''stroll''? I don't think so. Can't stand Arsenal. But they were absolutely brilliant tonight. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed 90 minutes as much as that. Stunning stuff from both sides.
  • Options
    Now that was a game of football.1 hr in barca 400+ passes in comparison to arsenal's 200+ passes.

Messi was no where near as good as I hoped.

Great result for the goonershite halftime 2-1 all to play for.

That's why I love football when played properly it is a thing of real beauty
  • Options
    Love Charlton, will be at the Valley for as long as my legs will carry me there but my God, games like that make you really wonder if we are watching the same game as went on at the Emirates tonight.
  • Options
    Great performance by Arsenal.
    I wonder what price you'd get on an Arsenal v Spurs final? ;-)
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant game of football. Really pleased from an England point of view that Wilshire more than matched his counterparts whilst the second leg has been set up nicely.

Think Arsenal will score in the Nou Camp but predict a 3-1 Barca win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    other than Charlton and England in the WC, that is the first full 90 minutes of a game i have watched on the telly in over two years.

Funny old game, you know Arsenal will go and lose to Orient at the weekend and Barry Hearn will be all over the red tops claiming Orient are the greatest team in the world FACT :-)
  • Options
    Cracking game - on the strength of the first half chances and two penalties turned down Barca deserved a draw, but Arsenal were fantastic in the last 20 minutes. THAT is how football should be played. And Wilshere - absolutely f***ing outstanding, if he keeps progressing at the rate he is, England might one day have a world-class footballer playing for them.
  • Options
    According to the curranty bun's experts there's already six players that are the best in their position in the world, but Wiltshire will be the cherry on the cake.

As with AFKA I've not watched 90 minutes of a TV match other than internationals, but very unusual to watch a club match: but that was great football.
  • Options
    Wilshere's performance was all the more impressive given Song couldn't help him out much tackling wise from 20 minutes onwards since he was on a tightrope having commited so many fouls early on.

The game changed when Villa was substituted. From then on Arsenal slowly gained more of a foothold in the game.
  • Options
    As an ex prolific striker in a Village team many moons ago, that goal from Arshavin was absolute perfection. As the ball came towards him my mind said no way , thats going over the bar. His strike was superb, if I had scored that goal I would still be talking about it. To a large extent I think the good teams have sometimes become so bedded into a passing game that they seem frightened to try a shot, where is Jimmy Greaves when you need him ?
  • Options
    FFS ------------Van Knodheads goal was a cross he smashed it as a cross it went in !

Reading the Sun (oxymoron) at breakfast thrown over to me by a Spurs fan it shows me again why i hate the Goonershit no less than 6 pages on them.

Please eplease please you daft Spainsh twonks stuff the ball in the net a good few times BEFORE you take the piss out of em!!
  • Options
    Just like to point out that I said how good little Jack was going to be 2 1/2 years ago.

Get me on board Powelly!

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=19037&Focus=297463#Comment_297463
  • Options
    Arsenal are the only team other than Charlton that i like to watch. Wilshere is a fantastic talent, but you have to ask yourself how much of how good he is has been put into him by the Arsenal coaching staff and Wenger. If he was a youth product at Chelsea, would he be the same player he is today?

I think the FA need to look at Wilshere and question the way other clubs groom their talent. We need to get away from the big bruiser kids and look closer and a players technical ability.

*please no wenger and grooming kids jokes
  • Options
    Was just waiting for Song to get sent off and it turn into a mauling, but they did well to stick to their game and turn it round. Fantastic 2nd goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Arsenal are the only team other than Charlton that i like to watch. Wilshere is a fantastic talent, but you have to ask yourself how much of how good he is has been put into him by the Arsenal coaching staff and Wenger. If he was a youth product at Chelsea, would he be the same player he is today?

Well you've got a pretty much like for like comparison at Chelsea in McEachran who will be just as good if not better than Wilshere. He's been there since he was 8 or 9 and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    Liverpool have a 16 year old Englishman in their squad tonight. Surely this is all to good to be true?!
  • Options
    Great entertainment, great result for the "English" team. Even referee had a good game.
  • Options
    Always liked the way Arsenal play under Wenger, arguably the two best footballing teams in Europe and a great game. Arsenals second goal was superb. Willshere was fantastic, IMHO he is better than Fat Frank so should start for England.
    However I think that Barca will kick their arses in Spain.
  • Options
    the two most beautiful teams to watch playing football. last night was an absolute joy.

let the commentators run wild with their superlatives. it's not often we get to see games like this.
  • Options
    Thought the game was absolute dross last night, i prefer to see the beautiful 'kick up field' strongly played in this division :)

Seriously that was pure footie , Arsenal will get mullered in the return leg , so let them have their moment in the sun with the press at the moment , how has Messi got to 40 goals by February? not even Chris Dickson was that prolific!
  • Options
    Was looking forward to this game - certainly did not disappoint. Classy game throughout.
    Those who think the second leg is a mere formality for Barca, should think again.
  • Options
    arsenalgk2.gif
  • Options
    even in the last few minutes Barca still played their beautiful game and didn't resort to lumping the ball up field in the hope of a late goal, not that their passing game got the goal either, but it looked nice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Arsenal are the only team other than Charlton that i like to watch. Wilshere is a fantastic talent, but you have to ask yourself how much of how good he is has been put into him by the Arsenal coaching staff and Wenger. If he was a youth product at Chelsea, would he be the same player he is today?

I think the FA need to look at Wilshere and question the way other clubs groom their talent. We need to get away from the big bruiser kids and look closer and a players technical ability.

*please no wenger and grooming kids jokes

It's definitely coaching. No one's born with the ability to instantly play like Arsenal and Barcelona do. What would be beneficial to the England team is for one of these top English clubs swimming in money to put some of it into essentially copying Barcelona's set up. So you have kids who have intensively trained together from 12 or 13 who gradually progress into the first team, and then into the national team, in the way that the core of the Barcelona side have. It's no wonder that Spain dominate world football when most of them play together every week, and indeed have been playing together since a young age. In this way, it wouldn't necessarily take a nationwide turnaround to revive the England team, but one or two clubs willing to throw resources and expertise at players from a young age.

This however would require the removal of the '90 minute rule' (which I believe they're looking at removing at the moment), which would be bad for clubs like us. Jonjo Shelvey for example could have gone straight to some sort of Barcelona-style Man United training camp at 12 or 13, and be a monster of a player by now. Good for the England team, bad for us.