Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Exeter post match review

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
All Charlton v Exeter post match commentary here please.

Comments

• Poor for last 6 games apart from Posh second half.
    Powell needs to put his stamp on team now.
    Honeymoon over.
  • Not quite sure how we lost 3-1. We were better going forward second half, but Elliott and Doherty played like muppets for the last half hour.

Eccleston and Jenkinson the pick of our players.
  • Won't see 24k at The Valley for a while.
  • Flat and quiet ......isn't it!
  • Harder training sessions? Now now only producing 45 minutes of football per match. I'm confused.
  • edited February 2011
    McCormack needs to be dropped and sold given to Welling offers nothing.
  • wot a pile of shite ,got to say thought powelly got it wrong today ,jackson should av been left back instead of fry reidy left mid and for fucks sake racon should start instead of mccormack ,also the back four needs to be sorted lively , the personel we av at our disposal basically aint good enough loanees must come in asap.
  • how can Doc have such a mare then connect with an overhead like that? We need to replace him and get a progressive midfielder asap.
  • Terrible result to be honest, and it just had to be today didn't it! :-(
  • edited February 2011
    Only listened on player to do the match thread, sounded as though we should have been up at HT with some good chances missed/saved. Also sounded as though we were better in 2nd half, hit the bar just before they scored the first and then 3 defensive errors cost us dearly.

New CB and a creative midfielder needed?

Be interesting to read on here the views of those that were there, commentators said on radio that 3-1 flattered them! How bad was Doc's backheader? Was Elliott at fault for the first? Was it a pen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Elliot had a shocker! He's never convincing for me at set pieces.
  • Elliot wasn't to blame for either of the first two goals and was again exposed by doc for the pen

Still at least we know who the whipping boy is this week : - (
  • It was definitely a pen and the first goal went straight through Elliott. Doherty's back header was dreadful but their striker anticipated it well.

Apart from those defensive errors I actually thought we did ok. Eccleston certainly should've put away one of his chances, and Abbott's shot against the bar was very unlucky.
  • Powell got it completely wrong today.
    McCormack offers nothing to the team, don't understand what the fascination is with him. Racon did more in the brief time he was on than McCormack did in the time he was on.

Subs were far too late if we were looking to go after the game. Why not move Eccles over to the right and bring Reid on at l/mid? At about 55-60 mins.

Defending is a big problem and it is due to a lack of pace. To compensate, we sit far too deep meaning the midfield sits deeper. We don't look like the "home" team and only look dangerous on the counter attack.

For the thousandth time, we a creative midfielder and a pacy c/b.

Positives-Jenkinson & Eccles.
  • I am going to pick one of the only positives to come out of this defeat. This will surely prove to CP and MS that investment in at least two loan players is essential if we want to make the payoffs. Automatic promotion is beyond this current team but with two decent loans the playoffs are very possible. Imho Elliot, Fry, MCCormack are all not good enough to get us promoted. The other positive for me was Jenkinson. Certainly no worse than Francis.
  • [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Powell got it completely wrong today.
    McCormack offers nothing to the team, don't understand what the fascination is with him. Racon did more in the brief time he was on than McCormack did in the time he was on.

Subs were far too late if we were looking to go after the game. Why not move Eccles over to the right and bring Reid on at l/mid? At about 55-60 mins.

Defending is a big problem and it is due to a lack of pace. To compensate, we sit far too deep meaning the midfield sits deeper. We don't look like the "home" team and only look dangerous on the counter attack.

For the thousandth time, we a creative midfielder and a pacy c/b.

TOTALLY AGREE

Positives-Jenkinson & Eccles.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Elliot wasn't to blame for either of the first two goals and was again exposed by doc for the pen

Beaten at the near post for the first. Even Powell hinted that he should have done better for the first goal.
  • So when a striker has an unchallenged shot from about ten yards out its the keepers fault?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So when a striker has an unchallenged shot from about ten yards out its the keepers fault?

In the managers opinion, yes.
  • when someone has a stinker or makes a bad mistake, it has to be noted otherwise how do we expect to improve?

this 'whipping boy' chestnut is really starting to get on my tits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone is saying it, we need a new CB and a creative midfielder or two. Surely Chris Powell can see that too. Jackson to left back as well for me with Reid or Eccleston on the left.

Docherty has not been good enough all season and was truly awful today - much more his fault than Elliotts from my east stand view. For such an experienced player he really has played badly way too often. How i wish for the Fortune of old!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Elliot wasn't to blame for either of the first two goals and was again exposed by doc for the pen

Beaten at the near post for the first. Even Powell hinted that he should have done better for the first goal.

Beaten at near post for first

Very slow to react for 2nd and 3rd. He just isn't sharp enough for my liking and always looks laboured.

Not scapegoat - just stating observations I made today.
    Doc was chiefly at fault but if Elliot had been sharper off his line it could have been different
  • We only seemed to get going once they'd scored.

Soft defending for their goals, and none more so than Docherty letting the ball bounce and then getting caught out.

Thought Eccleston did well again, although I'm not sure out on the left is his most effective position.
    Jenkinson was another positive, but at the same thought we missed some of Francis's crossing.

All in all, disappointing and frustrating.
  • Positives for me are that we hit the crossbar twice and had other chances, which if they'd come off could've made a difference.

The problems are at the back - is this one season too many for Dailly?
  • Elliot got beat at his near post, and gave a peno away.
    Just goes to show how inconsistent he is.

Powell got it completely wrong today, and our luck has run out.
    So we can see how this team reacts now.

Goodbye to all of those potential fans.
    We were outplayed, outsung and just didn't sell the matchday experience to any newcomers.
    Massive shame.
  • 13 times in 29 league games we have conceded two or more goals.

That stat tells you absolutely everything you need to know.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It was definitely a pen and the first goal went straight through Elliott. Doherty's back header was dreadful but their striker anticipated it well.

Apart from those defensive errors I actually thought we did ok. Eccleston certainly should've put away one of his chances, and Abbott's shot against the bar was very unlucky.

You thought "We did OK?" apart from the errors. Sorry but we were not even close to OK today.
    What has happened to the passing game? We are back to lumping it long and mis-placed passes.
  • Don't like the 4-3-3 formation. Need width at this level.

Expecting loans in before Friday.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Positives for me are that we hit the crossbar twice and had other chances, which if they'd come off could've made a difference.

The problems are at the back - is this one season too many for Dailly?

Said the same about Dailly on the way home. He isnt helped by Doherty's total lack of pace.
  • We need a keeper and a left back