Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Exeter post match review

Comments

• Don't like 433 either. BWP clearly seems like a central striker. Anyinsah was on the bench but must still be injured otherwise he would surely have come on. IMO we only play well when big Joe leads the line!!!

We will only make the play offs if we strengthen the defence though!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]We need a keeper and a left back[/quote]

We need help from above.

This lot haven't got it in em.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It was definitely a pen and the first goal went straight through Elliott. Doherty's back header was dreadful but their striker anticipated it well.

Apart from those defensive errors I actually thought we did ok. Eccleston certainly should've put away one of his chances, and Abbott's shot against the bar was very unlucky.

You thought "We did OK?" apart from the errors. Sorry but we were not even close to OK today.
    What has happened to the passing game? We are back to lumping it long and mis-placed passes.

Exeter had 3 chances and scored 3 goals. We had a lot more and scored 1. Even Doherty was doing alright before the 65th minute. So yes, it really wasn't bad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Don't like the 4-3-3 formation. Need width at this level.

Expecting loans in before Friday.

I would not put any money on us getting automatics so I would doubt we will see loans coming in before saturday so that they can make the play off final.
  • Shockingly bad defending; an awful goalkeeping performance. Those two have to be more than coincidence.

Jackson had a poor game. But I thought McCormack was ok in the middle. (Certainly not conspicuously worse than some).

Jenkinson made an error very early on and was lucky not to be carded for his recovering foul. After that, he was impressive.

Abbott is utterly talentless, but tried his heart out. That's the best we can expect at our lowly level.

Finally, what on Earth was their keeper's kit all about? Fluorescent pink in the first half; fluorescent yellow/green in the second.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It was definitely a pen and the first goal went straight through Elliott. Doherty's back header was dreadful but their striker anticipated it well.

Apart from those defensive errors I actually thought we did ok. Eccleston certainly should've put away one of his chances, and Abbott's shot against the bar was very unlucky.

You thought "We did OK?" apart from the errors. Sorry but we were not even close to OK today.
    What has happened to the passing game? We are back to lumping it long and mis-placed passes.

Exeter had 3 chances and scored 3 goals. We had a lot more and scored 1. Even Doherty was doing alright before the 65th minute. So yes, it really wasn't bad.
    Exeter had nine shots on target. NINE.
  • Maybe one gets persuaded by those around them but I thought McCormack was very poor and I normally seek the good from the bad in him.

However, Carl Jenkinson in the first minute I thought was going to have a nervouse mare, he hesitated, allowed his man to get away and pulled him back, well done to the ref for being lenient, after that he was terrific, only justed shaded as my MOTM by NE39.

I think the next football for a fiver promotion will have to be the fans being paid £5 to come, we lost many today.
  • I think Chris Powell got the system wrong today 4-3-3 didn't work, it gives the opposition an extra man in the engine room of midfield and that kept giving Exeter the incentive of a foot hold in the game.

I thought we were a little unlucky to be a goal down, but if you spurn the chances we did before that you just know the sucker punch is coming to spoil the party.

Doherty I usually view as an accident waiting to happen but today he was having a good game so when he finally killed the game off for us I just thought the mobile center half we have all been hoping for is now of paramount importance. It was a shame but the guy turned it in to the usual Charlton debacle in front of our biggest crowd for sometime. When are we going to learn if you are enticing a big crowd then make sure you play a tight system not give anything away, we certainly have speed merchants to bring on late in a game to stuff tired legs of average teams.

Racon is a different class to McCormack and should have come on before we were chasing the game.

Lets hope Chris Powell has learned something today and gets back on the track to stick with a system that should get us points with the players we have available, either 442 or 451
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Won't see 24k at The Valley for a while.
    The first time my dad brought me to The Valley we lost 5-1 to Rotherham and I couldn't wait to come back, so you never know - some of today's crowd might be back.
    Yes, we weren't great today and really shot ourselves in the foot, but I think 3-1 flattered them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Hardly goalscoring chances though were they?! If Elliott had let any of them in he would've got even more stick than he already is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought the 1st half we looked comfortable without doing too much. we had a few half chances and if luck was on our side we could have gone in at half time 2 goals up. Exeter offered absolutely nothing in the 1st 45 (don't recall them creating a single shot on target). Second half exeter came out looking more positve but still didn't look a serious threat until we started gifting them with some goals. Definately a penalty (I was sitting in the east-stand level with the incident). McOxo looked completely lost out there, like a schoolboy who had been asked to join in a kickabout in the park and proceeded to run around like a headless chicken. Fry looked a liability (esp in the 1st half). Abbott impressed me in the first half, looked strong and caused their defenders problems. Seemed to tire in the second half but good effort that hit the woodwork. Awful backpass from doc, you could see as soon as he headed it that it was going to be short. Jenkinson looked pretty solid, as did semedo. Plenty of movement from Eccleston and some nice touches but due to our lack of creativity he (and BWP) didn't see enough of the action. All round a flat performance against a team that came here for a 0-0 at best and couldn't believe their luck at the way we gifted them all 3 pts.
  • edited February 2011
    Don't see how anyone can deny that Elliott should have saved their first. As the TV cliche goes, ''when he sees the replay , he will be very disappointed''

Second and third goals were Doc's fault, but Rob wasn't clever on either of them.

Don't know what Doc was playing at. And a few minutes before he gifed their second, Dailly had almost let Exeter in with a weak and underplayed backpass, but the warning wasn't heeded. A wet and heavy pitch which Exeter read better than us - we were underselling passes all over the pitch all afternoon.

But in all honestly, apart from the comedy of errors between Doherty/Dailly/Elliott in the second-half, we weren't that bad. We made plenty of chances and on almost any other day would have put two or three of them away. Abbott's strike against the bar was spectacular.

We had three decent strikers on the pitch today, but the problem is that is what they are: strikers. BWP, in particular, but also Eccleston, only really play in the final third. Their first goal should have been saved. But the problem started when their player was given several acres of space on the right-hand side. Fry was out of position, and Eccleston made no effort to cover him, and was standing on the half-way line. It really was far more 4-3-3 than 4-5-1.

Reed and Racon both showed real intent when they came on, and Wagstaff, too, in his brief appearance. But by then it was too late. It says something when young Jenkinson was the best of the back four.

Big test for Powell now, but I think he will sort it. Well done to the crowd. I didn't hear anybody booing or getting on the players backs, so I would disagree with those saying ''the honemoon is over.'' Powell has a huge reservoir of good will and he won't let us down, IMO.
  • It had it written all over it today. The game had been spoken about for weeks, called a "special day" and with the pre-match entertainment, I just felt it was always going to happen.

To be honest we created chances and were quite unlucky in that department but our defence has to improve, they were extremely poor today and i am sure Powell knows that.

Eccleston done very well and tireless running, Racon done more in 20mins than McCormack in 70mins. What does Jackson do other than score when he gets the chance?

Well done to Carl Jenkinson though, had a great full home debut. We got a very good young player on our hands. I wish we had a free kick and he took it, trust me he has got a quality free kick on him.
  • Hugely disappointing of course, although I thought for most of the game we looked OK and at times we played some of the best football since Chris Powell took over. But the problems are also the same as before Chris took over; at least he now knows the size of the task.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Hardly goalscoring chances though were they?! If Elliott had let any of them in he would've got even more stick than he already is.
    We conceded nine shots on target at home. By no stretch of the imagination can that be described as "ok".
  • edited February 2011
    I have to say, that barring a 10 min spell before they scored today we were poor.

First half was again cack. We just don't start games. 24,000 crowd and we showed no intent from the off. When was the last time we set about someone from the first whistle in a home game?.

Absolutely hate the tempo we play at. We look so ponderous. Everything takes an age. For me the root cause of this is a lack of pace in midfield. You have got to be looking for your central midfielders to set the tempo. Semedo and McCormack are never going to do that, Jackson has no pace either. The pedestrian nature of our midfield seems to manifest itself throughout the whole team.

Said 10 mins from the end that there was no comparison between the sides when in possession of the ball. To a man the Exeter players looked comfortable in possession and always had an option to off load a pass to. Our ball retention is woeful. I lost count of the times we gave the ball away today.

I'm sure everyone on here would say that they dislike us playing the long ball, but at times our man in possession has no option. Total lack of movement off the ball results in a percentage ball being hoofed into the channels.

Hopefully the 4-3-3 experiment will end today. Wright-Phillips should not be playing deeper to accomodate Pawel Abbott. I'm guessing the formation is played as Powell is looking for a way to fit Ecclestone into the team. He can play on the right, stick him there and play 4-4-2. We saw last week against Peterborough that Wright-Phillips and Abbott up top can work, why have we changed?.

Been said on here already but defensively today we were shocking. It has happened several times this season, we give away a goal and the back line become an accident waiting to happen. Can't lay any of the blame at Jenkinson's feet. Fry had a shocker in the 2nd half turned inside out in the build up to the first goal. Whilst I accept that Doherty made schoolboy errors for 2nd goal and the 3rd, Elliott has to shoulder the blame as well. He just doesn't talk to defenders, he was slow to react to both situations today.

Setplays are a joke at the moment. We had 12 corners today. We threatened from one of them. Not good enough.

Hate to admit it, but automatics is way beyond this team. In all honesty, other than 30mins against Peterborough we have been poor in all of Powell's games in charge. Without a dip into the loan market I can see us slipping out of the play-off places.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I have to say, that barring a 10 min spell before they scored today we were poor.

First half was again cack. We just don't start games. 24,000 crowd and we showed no intent from the off. When was the last time we set about someone from the first whistle in a home game?.

Absolutely hate the tempo we play at. We look so ponderous. Everything takes an age. For me the root cause of this is a lack of pace in midfield. You have got to be looking for your central midfielders to set the tempo. Semedo and McCormack are never going to do that, Jackson has no pace either. The pedestrian nature of our midfield seems to manifest itself throughout the whole team.

Said 10 mins from the end that there was no comparison between the sides when in possession of the ball. To a man the Exeter players looked comfortable in possession and always had an option to off load a pass to. Our ball retention is woeful. I lost count of the times we gave the ball away today.

I'm sure everyone on here would say that they dislike us playing the long ball, but at times our man in possession has no option. Total lack of movement off the ball results in a percentage ball being hoofed into the channels.

Hopefully the 4-3-3 experiment will end today. Wright-Phillips should not be playing deeper to accomodate Pawel Abbott. I'm guessing the formation is played as Powell is looking for a way to fit Ecclestone into the team. He can play on the right, stick him there and play 4-4-2. We saw last week against Peterborough that Wright-Phillips and Abbott up top can work, why have we changed?.

Been said on here already but defensively today we were shocking. It has happened several times this season, we give away a goal and the back line become an accident waiting to happen. Can't lay any of the blame at Jenkinson's feet. Fry had a shocker in the 2nd half turned inside out in the build up to the first goal. Whilst I accept that Doherty made schoolboy errors for 2nd goal and the 3rd, Elliott has to shoulder the blame as well. He just doesn't talk to defenders, he was slow to react to both situations today.

Setplays are a joke at the moment. We had 12 corners today. We threatened from one of them. Not good enough.

Hate to admit it, but automatics is way beyond this team. In all honesty, other than 30mins against Peterborough we have been poor in all of Powell's games in charge. Without a dip into the loan market I can see us slipping out of the play-off places.

Spot on.
  • edited February 2011
    Even stevens in the 1st half neither team were particularly great. We started the 2nd half well but when they scored and ended up bossing the game. 3-1 flattered them a bit as we could have one or two more ourselves but I don't begrudge them the win, Tisdale has Exeter playing some decent football - none of their players looked hurried or panicky in posession and at times they gave us a football lesson.
    Still too much hit and hope from us for me and the defence- Doherty in particular- looked very shaky. I thought Abbott worked his socks off and was unlucky not to score -BWP looks to have bags of goals in him if he is played in the centre, sadly too much didn't come together overall and too many of ours just didn't perform in front of large crowd.
  • Elliot was pathetic. Doherty has tried that stupid header too many times and was punished at last.

Mccormack should never play again. Useless display from him.

We look stale. Reid and Racon must start.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

Agree with this. Perhaps we were spoiled by the pace at which Arsenal and Barcelona played in midweek. But it did seem that whenever we were in possession today, our natural inclination was to slow the play down. That only really changed when Reed and Racon came on. Reed looked like his old self again for the first time in a while. Whether he can do it for 90 mins is another matter, though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our off the ball movement was non existant, and closing down was one man at best.. we need to run at the ball instantly, especially at home.. also most corners seemed poor, first of all every one went to the first man.. and then tried to go for Docs head every time and it resulted in us getting counter attacked :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

Agree with this. Perhaps we were spoiled by the pace at which Arsenal and Barcelona played in midweek. But it did seem that whenever we were in possession today, our natural inclination was to slow the play down. That only really changed when Reed and Racon came on. Reed looked like his old self again for the first time in a while. Whether he can do it for 90 mins is another matter, though.

I don't expect us to have the ability to play at the pace Barca and Arsenal were playing at, but surely pro's can play at quicker than what amounts to a stroll?.
  • Everyone in the Division from Brighton down has worked out that they way to play us is too overload the centre of midfield, and we just haven't found a way to respond. The midfield today was being pulled all over the place and had hardly any shape whatsover.

Doherty just has no acceleration over 3 to 5 yards and it is constantly putting himself and the team under pressure - and the problem is not going to get any better, I would rather have a youngster (Fry or Mambo) making mistakes from which they are able to learn something.

Think I'll go and kick the cat!
  • charlton always let us down on the big days, chris powell seems not to have changed anything since parky really , i thought he would have had the defence atleast sorted out
  • No disrespect to Jenkinson, as he did ok, I felt we missed Francis today. If we play 4-3-3 with no wingers on the pitch you need the full backs to push on and create some width. Didn't happen at all today.
  • Sorry Folks but I thought that we were abit unlucky today!
    Had much better chances to score than Exeter but a combination of bad finishing, desperate defending, the post and the bar folied us. Nathan Eccleston MOM by a mile, got an underserved smack in the chops from their right back too. Strange how a player on loan from a Big Club seems to be one of the most committed.
    Jenkinson & Fry were really impressive too! McCormack is a waste and SCP got it wrong to play him ahead of Racon, lots of drama too (in the Nicky Bailey school but without the same talent).
    Plays-Offs about the best we can do now hope for now but I think we'll make em!
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I have to say, that barring a 10 min spell before they scored today we were poor.

I have to say this post sums my thoughts up exactly, good post Clem. Saved me typing it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]No disrespect to Jenkinson, as he did ok, I felt we missed Francis today. If we play 4-3-3 with no wingers on the pitch you need the full backs to push on and create some width. Didn't happen at all today.

I found myself thinking this during the game. Francis is a really good crosser of the ball and comes forward with much more confidence that Jenkinson did today, but he is young.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite] The midfield today was being pulled all over the place and had hardly any shape whatsover.

That's because there were only three of them. BWP and Eccleston are excellent strikers, but neither makes any serious contribution in midfield whatsoever. Back to 4-4-2, with two out of BWP, Anyinsah and Eccleston up-front and restore Racon, Wagstaff and Reed in midfield, I guess...
  • Personally I feel very disappointed because I let myself believe that the effort of the support would translate into the effort from the team. Absolute chite result, and fair play to Exeter for their win. Their fans were giving it the 'ole' near the end and I simply felt shame.
    We gave the lads support today, and they gave us back naff all.