Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Exeter post match review

1235»

Comments

• To be honest though I think with his injuries you could add 3 or 4 years to his true age
  • We have some decent players but don't knit as a unit, so our play is sporadic and we give the ball away too much. It's been happening all season. Last year Millwall had very average players but worked together as a determined team. Exeter actually reminded me of Millwall a bit. Limited but fighting hard and they rode their luck, took their chances and won. The plus point is that we now have BW-P to smack in some goals. So we have a bit of hope. I think we should swap Racon for another midfield player who can scheme a bit and link our play. I say this because I think Racon will be gone at the end of the season. Mind you if he is carrying an injury he won't be going anywhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Doc gives away a goal that highlighted his age, ....

He was 31 last month that's hardly old for a centre half these days.

True, but the problem is that he has the pace of a 41 year-old!!!
  • 4-3-3 works if your full backs give you width when attacking - unfortunately Fry is not a full back and whilst he winged it for a good while, this fact is becoming all the more apparent by the game. Jenkinson was solid but at home we needed the attacking witdth that the much maligned Francis gives us. With the right support, I think our strikers could have been very effective. McCormack works hard but doesn't have the skills to open defences up -Semedo does his job as he always does and needs somebody who can next to him. Racon has to be in ahead of McCormack.

I was livid with Fry for the first goal as not long before there was a gaping hole in his position which we got away with and he learned nothing from that and the space they had on the left was nothing short of criminal. I can't believe people saying we should move him to the middle after his recent performances and be so harsh to Doc. Bad day at the office for Doc but if people think he is our problem they are much mistaken.

All is not lost but we need to bring in an attacking left back - at the Valley where teams don't lay siege I was wondering about whether Reid has it in him to play that position. I think he has the workrate and can tackle -just a thought. Think him and JJ might compliment each other too.

Not the end of the worls and had Ecclestone had taken his chance first half and Abbot been a bit luckier when his shot hit the bar just before their goal, could have been a different story. Not time to panic but left back and midfielder needed urgently IMO (providing they are of the right quality).
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off-It [/cite]Love it. A couple of defeats and the FIFA 11 experts/doom merchants are all out again. Seems that just about every player and the management team has been slagged off post match, so I will start on the ball boys. Far too slow - get rid of them, not good enough, yardy yardy yar.

Ball boys poor on the big flag too : - )

Very disappointing regardless of the crowd. You have to win your home games and if we'd taken the chances we created we would have but we didn't and then handed them the game.

4 - 3 - 3 was only part of the problem. Eccles didn't put away very good chances and BWP was to far away from Abbott to benefit from knock downs and lay-offs.

Abbott has done well but Anyinsah gives us more.

Have I got it wrong but were Doc and Dailly playing on different sides? I thought Doc played left and Daily right normally. Did they switch to deal with their forwards.

Has Powell become a bad manager in two games? No, but claiming he has is just as OTT as those saying he had "justified his appointment" after two wins. And equally as shortsighted as saying that he had "sorted" the defence and brought about a complete change in the team, in tactics, in style and in performances in a few weeks when he clearly hasn't.

Personally I think the gloves will be off now and changes will be made. He's given the players in place under Peacock's two games a few matches but after two defeats he will change it.

Powell said that he believes in letting the man with the shirt keep it but I disagree.

Play you strongest team which for me is 442 with Jose and Racon in the middle, Jackson one side and either Waggy or Eccles Cake the other and BWP and Super Joe up top. And that's before the two new loanees come in.

Notts Co will be an interesting one.
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Has Powell become a bad manager in two games? No, but claiming he has is just as OTT as those saying he had "justified his appointment" after two wins. And equally as shortsighted as saying that he had "sorted" the defence and brought about a complete change in the team, in tactics, in style and in performances in a few weeks when he clearly hasn't.

You'd normally expect to get a few good results when a new manager comes in - we didn't get that with Pardew or Parkinson, so I was delighted when we got those results when Chris came in. However, I agree it's way too early to judge him - given how inexperienced he is even 10 games is too soon in my opinion.
  • Seemed to have trouble exploiting the full width of the pitch ... we play better and more threateningly when we have a winger or two playing.

Francis was sorely missed ... in recent games his crossing has been invaluable. Although for some reason not rated by many on here, we also missed Bessone ... he plays to feet and kicks off a number of plays down the wing, particularly when linking with Eccles.

Even allowing for the absence of Francis and Bessone, Powell got the tactics wrong ... he's a new manager ... it's going to happen. However I hope he stops with his philosophy, as Henry states, of letting the man with the shirt keep it. McOxo is not on form at the moment, and Racon needs to step in. Also would like to see Johnny Jackson wider, and greater usage of the wide areas ... Waggy and Reid can both take advantage of this as can Eccles ... and Francis / Bessone when they are back.

Friday will be very revealing... County coming off the back of a heavy defeat yesterday.
  • This was a huge bannana skin sadly - we had an awful lot of chances and on another day would have been 2-0 up in the first half so the game could have been very different.

Having said that we don't seem to be playing very well, although results have covered that up a little.

I hope this is a blip though, and the CP can address the quality of our game swiftly before this turns into a bad run.

R
  • someone digging out semedo earlier in the thread and questioning why the fans sing his name.

unbelievable.
  • Here are my thoughts
    Elliott - Good distribution, could have done better with first goal
    Jenkinson - He played very well, impressed.
    Doherty - Up until his 'gaff' he won most in the air, oh and set up SWP's goal
    Dailly - OK Game
    Fry - Not attack minded enough, looked nervous on the ball
    McCormack - Bad game, I'm not a fan off McOxo, bottled a couple of tackles.
    Semedo - He is what he is, just wish he had a shot on him.
    Jackson - Good ahead of their defence in the first half, pretty much anonymous in the second.
    Ecclestone - should have scored twice, worked hard.
    Bradley Wright Philips - Had to come too deep sp was out of position to pick up Abbots knock ons.
    Abbott - Good game, good hold up play and he seems to have lost a bit of weight, unlucky not to score.

Racon - In for the next game
    Reid - linked up with others well
    SCP - I thought he was a little slow changing it yesterday, also we started to lump it up to Abbott, I though we were more effective when we played it around to feet.
    Ref - Thought he had a good game.

On any other day we would have won this match, we should have been 2 up at the break!!
    We are creating chances and so will score, under Parky we did not.
    Aslo I cannot understand Doc getting caned, all CD's have made that mistake, OK sometimes it does not cost a goal, but Doc had a good game up until that point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good post, Greenie and i'm with you on most of the points you made.

Disappointed with Fry & Jackson , and not just in this match. Others have said that Matty is not a full back and I have to agree . JJ - seems out of sorts IMHO.Maybe both are victims of being played out of their best positions.

As for Eccles.....Was amazed at calls on here for a MOTM accolade ! Didn't cut the hot stuff for me, I'm afraid. Not a shambles but looked lazy and not totally up for it quite a bit of the time. Reminded me of Jerome Thomas in one of his sulky moments. Must do better !!!

Overall, pretty disappointing and changes in positions/personnel need to be made before Friday - a bit of tweaking in fact , nothing major.

Just wish I could be there to get behind the lads....
  • Interesting fanny how we all see the game differently, I thought NE39 did well and was unlucky not to be on the score sheet. Agree about Jackson though, from Novembers Player of the Month, he is rapidly playing like chump!

I think CP has to keep it simple, stick to 442 and attack from the wings whilst holding a strong spine, which we have not done for a couple of seasons. JJ came in as a Central Midfielder and yet we have not played him there and maybe that is his problem - I am yet to be convinced by Racon or McOxo. Racon undoubtedly has talent and showed it with his cameo, but he rarely does it and too easily allows the opposition to go through him, McOxo is my kind of player - busy niggly, except he has an awful end product. With Semedo you know what you get and recently he has been back to playing at his best, but unless there is a strong midfielder next to him who has the ability to pass and shoot he is limited in the role that he plays. I think Cantona would have described his as a hod carrier.

Looking forward to Bostok arriving !!!!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Doc gives away a goal that highlighted his age, ....[/quote]

He was 31 last month that's hardly old for a centre half these days.[/quote]

He looks like Dailly dad and yet is 7 years younger.......
  • Glad I didn't get time to post on here saturday. We struggled to pass the ball again and have to say McCormack and Fry both had stand out shockers and Macca's bitching and moaning to the ref summed him up....not too mention the fact that he can't tackle and couldn't pass to a red shirt for toffee just adds to the frustration. Thank the lord racon is back! probably the man of the match for the last 20 minutes just for the fact that he wanted to take players on and pass it around.
  • Too many things wrong with Saturday. If you play 4-4-3 (and we did it proper, not like Parky's 4-5-1) you need the full backs to give width but we had two centre halves there. No support from NE or BWP when we lost the ball. If no full backs pushing on, no need for Semedo as cover. 4-3-3 needs balls down the channels but we just lumped to Abbott and got it straight back mainly by Robbie kicking long when he had other options. Would like to see CP style rather than tweaks to Parky's failed masterplan.
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Too many things wrong with Saturday. If you play 4-4-3 (and we did it proper, not like Parky's 4-5-1) you need the full backs to give width but we had two centre halves there. No support from NE or BWP when we lost the ball. If no full backs pushing on, no need for Semedo as cover. 4-3-3 needs balls down the channels but we just lumped to Abbott and got it straight back mainly by Robbie kicking long when he had other options. Would like to see CP style rather than tweaks to Parky's failed masterplan.

How many more times,Powell got the formation wrong on Saturday.
    Would like to see CP style rather than tweaks to Parky's failed masterplan(quote) What style would that be? the style that thinks McCormack is better than Racon. The style that puts Wright Phillips out wide right when he is a penalty box player. No thank-you to that style. Oh by the way Jenkinson is a full back not a centre half. Have watched him many times for the U18s and he plays right full back.
  • Harveys Gradener- with you 100% - I said it before but I wouldn't have brought Fry back - The tactics you play need to refelct the personnel at your disposal. Francis is much more of a key player for us than people give hime credit for. I'd seriously for home games at least where you don't come under sustained pressure- consider playing Reid as a wing back. He can tackle and has pace to make up for defensive weakness but at home you would anticipate that he would spend a lot of time attacking - Francis gets forward well and you suddenly have the width that you need. This would make a decent attack, all the more potent.

Jenkinson had a decent game but he doesn't give us the same attacking width that Francis does at this stage in his career- suprised if he was fit enough for the bench, why Solly didn't get the nod. He is decent going forward. I think Chrissy is on the right track but we need a bit of fine tuning.
  • Seems to me that we were more worried about Exeter's line-up/style than our own. 4-3-3 with that choice of players was asking for trouble.