Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Exeter post match review

Comments

• If our previous wins were "lucky wins" then surely this one goes down as an "unlucky defeat", no?

Not a great performance but we should've been in front by half time and then hit the bar minutes before they scored. But that's football.
  • 1st half was poor, Exeter looked poor, 2nd half the formation gave them so much space on the wings it was unbelievable, and we didn't react to it. 4-3-3 requires forwards to track back, but Ecclestone and BWP didn't do that enough.

There's been no real change imo, we have the same players who make the same mistakes, all we have now is a man who everyone is willing to get behind and not slate him.

Now the time we really see how well Powell is going to do in management, he talked about a response after Tuesday but I didn't see it today. He talked about starting well but we didn't do that again, and in the 2nd half the 4-3-3 was letting exeter have far too much space which he didn't adjust. Obviously doesn't help when players make errors, but we constantly look to hoof it upfield instead of players moving into space to recieve the ball, this is work which should be done on the training ground. Exeter weren't the best team I've seen this year but they actually played some nice passing football at times, our defence seems to bypass the midfield for a punt towards Abbott, who I thought was our best player today.
  • I think we got what we deserved today. The difference is that in CP's first four games we got a lot more than we deserved.

There were some that were saying things like "What more do you want?" and "We've won four games what else do you expect?" I think we all saw the answers to those two questions today.

If it were not for Ecclestone today the game could easily have been worse than Swindon.
  • Elliots quick throws were quality.

McCormacks ineffectiveness in the middle is the reason we are losing.
  • All this Ecclestone loving seems misplaced IMO

He has missed 3 or 4 chances and was badly at fault for he first goal

He did ok but nothing more
  • Okay, got in an hour ago, and thought it best not to come straight on here.....but.....
    Why is it everytime We have "Operation" Old Trafford, Ewood, Riverside, Forest, The Valley........etc, the fans are there and up for it but everytime it seems the team isn't ?

..think i'll leave it at that: Can't even go and get drunk, 6am start tomorrow.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]All this Ecclestone loving seems misplaced IMO

He has missed 3 or 4 chances and was badly at fault for he first goal

He did ok but nothing more

agree they were gilt edged chances and cost us the match

abbott worked his socks off i thought and was my MOM

as above i thought jenkinson was solid and safe enough but we really did miss Francis's crossing

poor result but we have been winning when chuff and i thought we were ok today and didn't get the rub of the green

for a 90 minute performance i thought it was better than the peterboro game

back 5 bar jenko were chuff

so i currently see it as 1% chance of the autos 69% chance of the play offs and 30% chance that will be sloshing around in this dire excuse of a league

i enjoyed the pre match build up with a decent crowd in and the opera man , reminded me of an age gone by when we used to watch proper football with proper players unlike now we have a stadium wrapped around what basically is 2 pub teams slogging it out
  • Well said Clem !!

absolutely no width and 3 midfielders without an ounce of pace between them, Reid had to come on at half time to have a go at them at the expense of McOxo, with Eccleston going right wing.

never thought I'd say it, but I missed Francis, not convinced at all by Jenkinson, very slow and nervy (which we can't afford I'm afraid)

anyway I think we all knew it would happen today of all days, we were so laboured from the outset, unbelieveable how they weren't all chomping at the bit given the size of the crowd etc...they had a MASSIVE opportunity today to put in the sort of performance that would make people want to come back and they blew it big time, I hope Slater visited the dressing room after the game and let them know that!

Centre Half and Centre Mid desperately needed........

I feel sorry for everyone that put in all the hard work and effort over the past few weeks to get the ground full, just a shame the team couldn't be bothered to show up
  • edited February 2011
    Powell got the formation wrong, there was no width. 4-4-2 imo, only go 4-3-3 when chasing a game, and if you do it, make sure the front 3 are close together, not 30 yards apart from each other.

Jackson not a centre mid, McCormack not good enough. Felt sorry for Jenkinson and Fry cause of no width. Missed Francis for that reason.

Tranmere game will be 10k down on the gate today. Missed opportunity.
  • Had we taken the lead it would have been a different game. Expected Eccleston to score with his chance in the first half. Abbott did well with his chance, unlucky hitting the bar.

Earlier this season we tried a "4-3-3" under Parky which was really more of a flat 4-5-1 which left the striker (Abbott when we played it I believe) isolated. Today Powell went for a 4-3-3 with 3 strikers, leaving us with no width. Like Clem said I got the feeling Powell was trying to fit players into the team. We've seen Eccleston and BWP aren't a partnership, but them two with Abbott in a front 3 doesn't look much better either.

Again like Clem said we lacked movement. Or when we did move, it wasn't always the right movement. One time in the first half Fry (I think) had the ball, and Jackson sprints up to the strikers away from him. Then he's left with no options and plays a long ball and we usually lose possession. One thing Exeter did well was always giving the player with the ball an option. That's something Powell must try to improve.

I don't think Powell is sure yet of his best team or system. I'm not actually that worried about our defence. We need to find the best system for the midfield in particular, improve the movement, find the best combination up front and take our chances. The defence is not great but they'd have an easier job if we passed and kept the ball better.

Jenkinson did quite well but again agree with Clem that going forward Francis offers more. Of course Jenkinson is young and I'm sure will improve. With games he'll offer more going forward, whenever I've seen him he's always looked comfortable with the ball and likes to run with it if the space opens up.
  • Sponsored links:

• This isn't going to be popular but in my opinion SCP f****d it up totally today. The 4-3-3 formation meant our 2 best strikers - Eccleston & Wright-Phillips - were wasted for much of the game both playing out wide instead of in the centre. It was obvious at half-time that we were struggling and that was the time to change things - sticking Abbott & W-P up front, playing Ecclestone as a right winger (as in the Peterboro game), bringing on Racon for a totally out-of-sorts McCormack and Reid to give some width and get some crosses in to the front 2. By the time some of these changes were made, it was all too late.

I wish SCP nothing but success and good luck. But he is certainly going to need the good luck in abundance if he continues to send out such lop-sided teams.
  • If Abbott had missed the chances Ecclestone did today he would have been slated on here.

Not suggesting that Ecclestone gets slated at all, but it's funny how peoples opinions change depending on whether they are talking about one of their favourites or someone they don't rate.
  • No SCP????
    I notice a lot of people on here have finally withdrawn Powellys knighthood.

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Fortune 82nd Minute[/cite]This isn't going to be popular but in my opinion SCP f****d it up totally today. The 4-3-3 formation meant our 2 best strikers - Eccleston & Wright-Phillips - were wasted for much of the game both playing out wide instead of in the centre. It was obvious at half-time that we were struggling and that was the time to change things - sticking Abbott & W-P up front, playing Ecclestone as a right winger (as in the Peterboro game), bringing on Racon for a totally out-of-sorts McCormack and Reid to give some width and get some crosses in to the front 2. By the time some of these changes were made, it was all too late.

I wish SCP nothing but success and good luck. But he is certainly going to need the good luck in abundance if he continues to send out such lop-sided teams.

Not about being popular mate, you are right.

He f***** it up today. Let's hope he puts it right on Friday.
  • If Abbot's shot that hit the bar had gone in, they wouldn't have gone up the other end and scored and we would have probably gone on to win 2 or 3-0.

Yes today is massively disappointing and yes there were clearly some errors made (by Powell and some of the players) but I don't think it's really quite as doom and gloom as some are making out. I think the way we respond in the next couple of matches will be important, but I am still extremely confident of getting into the play-offs (at least).

As a work in progress it still feels overall that we are on the right trajectory, even if there are some bumps on the way and clear deficiencies in the squad that need rectifying (a.s.a.p!!).

After Brighton/Swindon at home I was depressed. Tonight I'm fed up but the effort was there to see and if a couple of things had gone our way we'd be sat here talking about another win.

I still feel good... keep positive!
  • Elliot has made some fantastic saves this season, but I noted at Hartlepool that he was doing some comedy clearances. He did a Deano special today and even stamped the turf back down as the ball was retrieved from row Z. He has lost concentration and needs to improve.

Also thought Semedo has had 2 below par games (by his own standards), and Jackson looking a bit tired too.

Overall I thought SCP got it wrong with his starting line up.
    Should have played Eccs and Wag/Reid as wingers, with Racon & Semedo in centre, then BWP with Anyjoe/Benson in a textbook 4-4-2.

Obviously i'm fed up about the way things panned out, but well done to club staff, ticket sales, and all those that had to step up their effort to service a 25k crowd.

It just goes to show that if the footy is good enough and the price is fair, we can fill The Valley.
  • edited February 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]If Abbott had missed the chances Ecclestone did today he would have been slated on here.

Not suggesting that Ecclestone gets slated at all, but it's funny how peoples opinions change depending on whether they are talking about one of their favourites or someone they don't rate.[/quote]

When you see Abbott take 2 defenders on, beat them, and run in the box to create a chance like Eccs did today - it will have been on FIFA 2003 and not real life.
  • SCP seemed to make a gamble in playing 4 3 3 and the selection worried me partic as BWP and NE are both lazy at tracking back. However Jose mcOxo and jacko got the better of the midfield. UNtil they scored we were the better side. Had we put one of the chances away we would have gone on to win the game. SCP would then have been hailed a miracle worker. Let's keep things in perspective as neither this nor most of the comments above make sense.
  • Posting without reading.

The curse of the Charlton "Operation" strikes again! Praise to Airman and all those involved in attracting what looked a genuine 24,767 to The Valley today. How sad, if predictable for the long in the tooth amongst us, that the team let everybody down.

I just don't know what went wrong today other than Exeter seemed first to every loose ball and generally seemed to want it more than us especially in midfield. That said I didn't feel our players lacked effort particularly hence why I don't know what went wrong.

I feel for the Doc with that second goal which effectively killed us. Up until then I thought he'd had a decent game and in my view he deserves BWP's goal really but it is BWP's goal as he got the last touch.

One bright spot of a miserable anti- climatic day: young Jenkinson. I thought he grew into the game after a slightly nervous start and looked distinctly promising.

We can forget any form of promotion on that form. Hopefully the proverbial "bad day at the office" and a one off but who knows?
  • [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]If Abbott had missed the chances Ecclestone did today he would have been slated on here.

Not suggesting that Ecclestone gets slated at all, but it's funny how peoples opinions change depending on whether they are talking about one of their favourites or someone they don't rate.

When you see Abbott take 2 defenders on, beat them, and run in the box to create a chance like Eccs did today - it will have been on FIFA 2003 and not real life.

They're two entirely different types of player - agreed.

But if those chances had fallen to Abbott and he'd fluffed them do you think people would've been so quick to point out other parts of his game. That's all I'm saying.

(PS haven't got FIFA 2003)
  • Sponsored links:

• Regarding strikers I think Powell is trying to keep them all happy. BWP, Eccleston, Anyinsah, Abbott and Benson. So today he tried to accomodate 3 of them into a new formation which left our full backs (probably our weakest positions) exsposed. Problem being BWP/Eccleston don't hold up the ball and give nothing in terms of ariel threat but they are both talented players.

Some might say a good selection headache, but only if benefits the team
  • Guys I think Elliot is the least of our problems to be honest, especially with some of the clowns playing in front of him. He's more than good enough for league 1 standards and has kept us in the game on a few occasions this season.

It seems pretty clear to a lot of people on here that we need a change at centre back. That 2nd half performance from Docherty has been coming all season. He might read the flight of the ball as good as anyone in our team, but imo he is just not physically capable enough to play in a team alongside Dailly.

The fact of the matter is whilst we may soak up pressure fairly well when its static, any pacey counter attack form the opposition sends Docherty and Dailly blowing out their arses. One of them has to go, and as Dailly is our leader (and imo a better defender) it has to be Docherty that gets replaced. With who is a problem for Chrissy to solve.

I feel really sorry for the board and for all the fans that tried hard to convince their mates/relatives to come. But I look at it that those who want to come back aren't going to be persuaded either way by one victory or defeat over exeter. They would have taken in the atmosphere of being back at a Charlton match, bought a programme, had a burger at half time, clapped the team out to Red Robin etc. No one is coming back to the Valley to watch silky football, they're coming back to support Charlton. I just hope that enough people fell back in love with the club today, despite the poor result.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]We conceded nine shots on target at home. By no stretch of the imagination can that be described as "ok".

Oh come off it you can't actually judge our performance by the opponent's 'on target' statistic. Some of them might as well been from the corner flag or long kicks forward from the keeper - Elliott had no saves of note to make.

A team could have 30 shots off target, but all have been missed one-on-one opportunities where the defence had been carved open. All chances have to be considered in the context of the game. In this game, we were rarely troubled by Exeter, apart from a 20 minute period where some shocking defensive errors were made. I had acknowledged this in my previous posts.

That said, going forward I thought we did ok. It wasn't a fluid performance by any stretch of the imagination, but we certainly created enough chances to get something out of the game. Eccleston alone could've had a hat trick.
  • Just seen the highlights, elliot should have saved the first goal, and the penalty was just pointless, i just dont think he is good enough, looks unfit, therefore to slow to get down to things. However, Doherty is a joke as well to be honest, just no pace. I want Jordan Spence on loan from west ham, at least he has some pace.
  • Short assessment after a skinful,

A GREAT BIG FOOKIN DISASTER
  • [cite]Posted By: ciro9991[/cite]Just seen the highlights, elliot should have saved the first goal, and the penalty was just pointless, i just dont think he is good enough, looks unfit, therefore to slow to get down to things. However, Doherty is a joke as well to be honest, just no pace. I want Jordan Spence on loan from west ham, at least he has some pace.

Agreed on Elliot 1st goal however for the pen, I'd rather like my centre half to be dealing with that, Elliot may have been rash and clumsy in diving out but how many keepers aren't in that situation? No keeper should be that needlessly exposed.
  • Why he played 4-3-3 I'm not to sure,Powel seems like a boy with a new toy,keep mucking around with it till he gets it right,thats ok if you know what your doing and you've got the players to cope with what you want to do.
    Unfortunately he does'nt have time or the players,surely you play to ones strenghs,not tinker around,after having not a bad start to his campain.Mind you lets not forget the new No 2,who's come over from West Ham,which I think took us by suprise,got a feeling its all still a bit of a miss match.
    Lets hope they get it right before its to late,I certainly feel Mr Slater will not be amused,he certainly didn't wait to get shot of Parky,so they had better get their act together.
    Perhaps we should now understand how difficult it is and although Parky was not every ones cup of tea,he did keep us going and with out funds to buy players like Wright Philips.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Addick4ever[/cite]Why he played 4-3-3 I'm not to sure,Powel seems like a boy with a new toy,keep mucking around with it till he gets it right,thats ok if you know what your doing and you've got the players to cope with what you want to do.

that's what pre-season games are for - but not half way through the season !!

sorry, but I'm already thinkinhg that Powell is out of his depth - I haven't seen anything positive (apart from the signing of Wright-philips and not sure if that was anything to do with Powell) since he took over from Parky, and maybe even now going backwards. McOxo in the side over Racon - what;s that all about ??? The 4-3-3 seemed more like 4-5-1 and why is the leagues top goalscorer playing wide right ???

why not move Jackon to left back, freeing up a place for Reid - Racon in for McOxo, and put Eccleston on the right (if we have to play him as part of the loan deal - looks like it)

BWP & Anyinsah up top.
  • Can we stop all this Sir Chris nonsense now.

We are a above average pub side in a pub league, nothing has changed from when Parky left in fact yesterday was as bad as anything I can remember under him.

Why not play BWP up front, why play McCormack over Racon, why not play Waggy?

Shocking managerial decisions, I love Powell to bits but FFS the marking at the back was shocking. Do your homework, their number 7 was mustard at their place and he was again yesterday.

Lose another couple of games and Slater might be giving him the vote of confidence.

Only good thing about yesterday was that the crowd didnt get on the players backs, wouldnt have been the same 2 months ago but then you cant legislate for morons.

See you in Nottingham.
  • Fortune 82nd Minute said :

This isn't going to be popular but in my opinion SCP f****d it up totally today. The 4-3-3 formation meant our 2 best strikers - Eccleston & Wright-Phillips - were wasted for much of the game both playing out wide instead of in the centre. It was obvious at half-time that we were struggling and that was the time to change things - sticking Abbott & W-P up front, playing Ecclestone as a right winger (as in the Peterboro game), bringing on Racon for a totally out-of-sorts McCormack and Reid to give some width and get some crosses in to the front 2. By the time some of these changes were made, it was all too late.

agree totally. Was saying this to Mrs Large from about 15 minutes in. Could Messrs Peacock, Matthew, Dyer and Powell not see this ? Seems like most of us could. Are the others yes men ? I certainly hope not. Seems to me that Powelly is trying to fit players into the team as opposed to picking the best team. And McCormack? We'd be better off playing with ten men. Not a total disaster but certainly not good. Still think we'll make the play-off's but to make automatics we need a creative central midfielder to complement Jose and a pacy centre half. And soon. If we are waiting so that they are eligible for the play-off final we might not even get enough points to make the play-offs.