Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Racon must start.. discuss

Comments

• Options
    Racon can piss off ------------there is a player in there somewhere but we have waited far to long to see it. Its over let him go we wont miss what we have hever had.
  • Options
    Racon must start ....to pack his bags.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]An off-form Racon will always be better than an in-form McCormack, don't buy into any of this Racon isn't good enough lark because he clearly is and it's an insult to put him on the bench in this division when he is good enough for the Championship. Yes he doesn't score bundles of goals and make plenty of assists but not every midfielder is measured on that, believe me if he goes people will soon start to miss him because I doubt we'll be able to get anyone in as good to replace him.

This
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I can't help but wonder how poor Stavrinou must be if he can't get a game in our midfield.

Ha, Cambridge United mate of mine reckons he's unbelievable. He must be poo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite] Racon wins more challenges than McCormack, ?

My pet Spaniel wins more challenges than Mc Oxo but that does'nt mean he should be in the middle of Charlton's midfield.

Put McOxo's agent in midfield- he's the one with the real skill...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Racon wins more challenges than McCormack, ?

My pet Spaniel wins more challenges than Mc Oxo but that does'nt mean he should be in the middle of Charlton's midfield.

Put McOxo's agent in midfield- he's the one with the real skill...

Parky bight him, to be fair. What did he see in him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Racon must start ....to pack his bags.

Rac-off!

I wanted to like this player for ages but he disappoints way too often. No assists, no shot on him (no goals), no through pass, gives the ball away too often leading to goals against, passes the ball behind the running player and is a lazy shirking little toad.

I wouldn't start either McCormack or Racon. I'd play anyone else in the centre, anyone, one of the kids would do a better job.
  • Options
    Yes he fails to deliver with goals or assists, but he's our one player capable of keeping the ball ticking over.

Got to start
  • Options
    From what i can see Racon has a neat little turn in his locker and thats it. He turns, springs away from his marker and then ... nothing. I too used to quite rate him but i've long since seen through him and the quicker he clears off, the better. You need more than a 'turn and spring' - you need heart, work rate, vision, commitment, determination, desire, effort,a football brain, eye for goal a bonus and to be a team player - unfortunately he's lacking in all of these but i'm sure there'll be a second division french team he can nestle back into. Macormack seems to be able to jump quite high for his size and that, from what i can see, is his only attribute so it's been a case og going for the turn and spring or the surprising jump. We now have Parret who i'm looking forward to seeing but it looks to be too little, too late for this season.
  • Options
    Racon playing to the best of his ability is probably the best midfielder we have, arguably even our best player, but for me he had never shown any sign of fully living up to his potential, and with the mood of the squad and the fans as it is I really really don't see him having the kind of mentality that would bleed and fight for the badge. Better than McCormack does not automatically make him good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Racon is one of the only players in our team that can actually play football... It's not his fault that he hasn't got anyone to play with.
    He should be the first name on the team sheet, tbh I don't know what Semedo is doing to keep his place, he can't even play a simple pass.
    Racon is definitely not the problem and doesn't deserve the blame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]Racon playing to the best of his ability is probably the best midfielder we have, arguably even our best player, but for me he had never shown any sign of fully living up to his potential

That's like saying if any of us played like Zidane, we'd be good.

Racon and McCormack are both average players, it's not going to make that much difference playing one over the other. Racon and Semedo's best performances for CAFC have been in a 4-5-1, but we don't have Jonjo, Bailey or Sam anymore so playing this formation just leaves us with next to no creativity and forward drive in midfield.

I don't know what the answer is, but we desperately need Jackson back. He won't fix all our problems, but he'd certainly give the team a lift.
  • Options
    I can't believe people still think the problems in midfield is down to who we pick to play there. How many different players do we need to try? They are isolated by our deep defence.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    But they don't contribute to defending or attacking, hence they are the problem. The defence have to stay deep if the midfield aren't going to put any decent tackles in and get the whole team to step up. How many times do we give free kicks in dangerous areas because McCormack/Racon/Semedo get caught the wrong side of opposition players? I believe we've conceded more free kicks than anyone else in the league.
  • Options
    A conundrum. Powell wants the team to play passing football. Racon is one of the more comfortable players on the ball yet he doesn't play and he hasn't played well or at least consistently well for quite a while.

When he's good he's very good but for £6k pw I expect a lot more a lot more often.

Reading between the line of Mick Collin's blame post I think some of the players already know where they will be playing next season and it's not at Charlton. Racon may have already tied up a deal (as he is legally entitled to with less than 6 months left on his contract) with another Club. I'd have a little bet it's not a league 1 club either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]But they don't contribute to defending or attacking, hence they are the problem. The defence have to stay deep if the midfield aren't going to put any decent tackles in and get the whole team to step up. How many times do we give free kicks in dangerous areas because McCormack/Racon/Semedo get caught the wrong side of opposition players? I believe we've conceded more free kicks than anyone else in the league.

The defence parks itself on the 18 yard line, their back four advances into our half, so it's 10 v 4 as they pass around us. Even worse if they catch us on they break, as our defenders don't challenge but retreat to their safety zone.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]But they don't contribute to defending or attacking, hence they are the problem. The defence have to stay deep if the midfield aren't going to put any decent tackles in and get the whole team to step up. How many times do we give free kicks in dangerous areas because McCormack/Racon/Semedo get caught the wrong side of opposition players? I believe we've conceded more free kicks than anyone else in the league.

The defence parks itself on the 18 yard line, their back four advances into our half, so it's 10 v 4 as they pass around us. Even worse if they catch us on they break, as our defenders don't challenge but retreat to their safety zone.

i agree to a certain extent but i'd say the fact that they are crap footballers is the more overriding factor.
  • Options
    The defence sitting too deep does not make players (Racon/McCormack):

Give the ball directly to the opposition
    Misskick passes
    Play the ball behind our wingers
    Get ruffled too easily off the ball
    Not fight for a 50-50 ball
    Not have a clue what to do with the ball when in possession
    Not move into space when they have managed to pass the ball
    Not have a shot/goal in them

Sorry all but Racon has had long enough now to show what he has, and actually he has.... NOTHING!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]I can't believe people still think the problems in midfield is down to who we pick to play there. How many different players do we need to try? They are isolated by our deep defence.
    That doesn't help but clearly Racon and McCormack are not playmakers, goal threats or ball winners. Could you see them suddenly scoring goals if the defence pushed up?

Compare them to players last season, Shelvey had an eye for a pass, Bailey was a goalscoring threat. They showed this whether the defence pushed up or not. Both keep their passing simple most of the time like Semedo and Wagstaff which limits us going forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]The defence sitting too deep does not make players (Racon/McCormack):

Give the ball directly to the opposition
    Misskick passes
    Play the ball behind our wingers
    Get ruffled too easily off the ball
    Not fight for a 50-50 ball
    Not have a clue what to do with the ball when in possession
    Not move into space when they have managed to pass the ball
    Not have a shot/goal in them

Sorry all but Racon has had long enough now to show what he has, and actually he has.... NOTHING!

agreed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A conundrum. Powell wants the team to play passing football. Racon is one of the more comfortable players on the ball yet he doesn't play and he hasn't played well or at least consistently well for quite a while.

When he's good he's very good but for £6k pw I expect a lot more a lot more often.

Reading between the line of Mick Collin's blame post I think some of the players already know where they will be playing next season and it's not at Charlton. Racon may have already tied up a deal (as he is legally entitled to with less than 6 months left on his contract) with another Club. I'd have a little bet it's not a league 1 club either.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Racon tied up a decent deal around the Christmas period and he was quite impressive at Spurs but the buyers will fall for the same 'flattering to deceive' that Pardew obviously did. There's no substance to him whatsoever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A conundrum. Powell wants the team to play passing football. Racon is one of the more comfortable players on the ball yet he doesn't play and he hasn't played well or at least consistently well for quite a while.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Racon tied up a decent deal around the Christmas period and he was quite impressive at Spurs but the buyers will fall for the same 'flattering to deceive' that Pardew obviously did. There's no substance to him whatsoever.

Some said that about Ambrose and Varney. Let's see how he does elsewhere.
  • Options
    Kishishev, a hate figure for many when he played for us, always made himself available to receive a pass. Shelvey also did to some extent. None of our other midfelders have consistently done so for some considerable time. They all have a tendency to go "missing."

Harvey's Gardener is right in that we invariably seem outnumbered in midfield and he may have diagnosed the (a) reason but in my view Racon and others simply don't work hard enough compared to the opposition midfields we encounter at The Valley. I've only been to Tottenham away this season so cannot comment on whether it is any different away from home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Reading between the line of Mick Collin's blame post I think some of the players already know where they will be playing next season and it's not at Charlton. Racon may have already tied up a deal (as he is legally entitled to with less than 6 months left on his contract) with another Club. I'd have a little bet it's not a league 1 club either.

This has the ring of truth to it. I remember watching the "love of my life" Bailey pulling out of tackles at the end of last season and thinking he must have a new deal lined up.

Technically, Racon is in a different class to the useless weed, McOxo but we can't afford a showboating midfield twinkle-toes standing on the wing dreaming about his new contract in the south of France with the prospect of L2 staring us in the face..
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Racon is the sort of player you could see thriving when he leaves us- but he is frustrating me as I have seen the best and worst of him. I don't undertsand how the player I have seen at his best can't impose himself more whoever he is playing with. I think he does try too - it's one of those you just can't put your finger on. Maybe if you stick a hardworking, dirty bu**er in there with him and Semedo, he would thrive more - I don't honestly know.

What I do know is that he once seemed to have a shot and seemed capable of getting in the right goal scoring areas - he onced seemed capable of picking a pass and making things happen. WHy is he no longer capable of that now- probably a question the management should be trying to find the answer to? I doubt mcCormack semed capable of these at any point in his career - no point searching for something that isn't there!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's all about the blend.

A Palace fan I know tells me that Ambrose still goes walkabout most matches but when he does engage it is usually productive and there are other players able (and presumably willing) to do his share of the hard graft.

At Charlton we have too many fairies (or nancy boys to quote Eamon Dunphy all those years ago) and not enough grafters.
  • Options
    I think you could be right - possibly too many walkers and not enough runners too.
  • Options
    In our situation we cant afford to have players in the team who "go missing when the going gets tough", as is frequently happening. In this division you need to be able to put your foot in and turn the game around (and that doesnt mean commit unnecessary fouls with poorly timed challenges and then wave your arms about like its the refs fault).

Agree with most on how deep we are defending. The defensive line will set its line by the centre backs, who are dropping off quickly to the 18 yard line to eliminate the ball in behind. Dailly, Doherty and Fortune are all slow on the turn these days and vulnerable against pace through the middle. Dailly gets away with it most of the time because he reads the game so well, the other two are "stopper" centre halves. Both Dailly & Doherty pulled their hamstrings recently chasing a ball into the corner, an indication that their legs have gone. Fortune looks like he is running in treacle. Any defensive mistake around the 18-yard line usually results in a goal. A mistake twenty yards further up the field can be dealt with.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maybe Mambo needs to be introduced- sometimes it can galvanise- can't see we have much to lose by injecting some young fresh legs- what's the worse that can happen......exactly!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Maybe Mambo needs to be introduced- sometimes it can galvanise- can't see we have much to lose by injecting some young fresh legs- what's the worse that can happen......exactly!
    Shrewsbury can happen...