Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mass clear-out this summer

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Got talking to a guy today who is connected with the club who told me that during a conversation with Peter Varney, he was told that at least 15 players would be leaving the club at the end of the season. I won't say how this guy is connected with charlton as i don't want to cause any problems for him or anyone else. He also didn't state if these were all 1st team players, but did say that it's not only those who's contracts run out in the summer.

If this really is the case then hopefully this means the board are really serious about moving us forward next season and will be making a decent amount of funds availiable for the purchase of new players.

Incidently, does anyone know how many of the players are out of contract in the summer?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I've heard the same from a bloke in the west stand near me. Sadly I think it's common knowledge. If this sort of stuff is getting leaked out then we have a problem. If we've all heard it then the payers will have too and maybe that in part explains the problems we've been having on the field lately.
  • Options
    and were off ... 27th March 108pm... the rumour mill is in full flow..

The point is is that when the takeover happened there was always going to be some fall out and some challenges the club has to face... and look if the players were performing then we wouldnt have to get rid, but there are not.. Powell has a differnet approach a footballing approach, we are not looking for bargain basement players overperforming, we are looking for championship players to dig us out and I am hoping we are going to see the the owners spend some money to allow Powell to build the team he wants... if you look at the team now and compare it to last year we have been weakened significantly and early season as Steve Brown said we were "punching above our weight" ...

I for one would love to see us spending some proper money .... 4 or 5 million would be lovely ... but very unlikely ... I would still like to know if we have any fricken money at all, is it all a smoke screen? Probably knowing charlton, Slater could be a great sales guy and thats it.. we just dont know..
  • Options
    It does seem to be common knowledge that half the squad will be released at the end of the season. If this really is the case, might it explain our drop in form and the poor quality of our performances?

There must be a few players who know or have some idea that their services will not be required so why should they bother? Having this kind of uncertainty hanging over the squad must be highly unsettling and de-motivating.

Not a great way to run a football club.
  • Options
    I think if you look elsewhere there are threads that quote 14 players out of contract including Jnekinson, Racon, Semedo, Youga, Dailly. There is a full list somewhere. I doubt if any of the summer recruits were on one year deals so the ones that we all agree are not good enough for a club that has money and wants to push for promotion, so it is not beyond belief that McCormack and Francis definetly and probably Benson would be on the clubs list for shipping out. Reid has not done it consistently enough and Doherty has looked liked the man playing one year too many.

Slater won't say how much he will sanction in the transfer market,he would be daft to.

I am hoping that after the season ends we make an early trophy signing as a signal of intent and that be outside of the existing loanees, hopefully a quality forward or CM.
  • Options
    Jeff Vetre was not brought to the club for no reason, what someone told me who REALLY is connected to the club is that the portfolio of players we are trying to sign and talking to now will blow some people away and could be looking at least 10-15 new first team players that should stroll the league next year but as we said 11 individuals dont make a team it will take Powell and his staff to mould the new signings into a team and a unit. Exciting times ahead come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Even if it does seem to be common knowledge with the squad. I doubt anybody at the club has mentioned names. So surely these group of players have a lot to play for, even if it doesn't end up being for us, they should still have the motivation to put in performances and impress other clubs...
  • Options
    I'll be very interested in what Mr Slater has to say on Charlton live this evening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]Even if it does seem to be common knowledge with the squad. I doubt anybody at the club has mentioned names. So surely these group of players have a lot to play for, even if it doesn't end up being for us, they should still have the motivation to put in performances and impress other clubs...

This is my viewpoint too. There is no excuse for playing badly (assuming that you have the ability to play better).
  • Options
    It strikes me that stopping short of Mr. Slater coming out and saying directly something like " this season is not important as we have crap players who won't be here next season so don't worry and buy a season ticket because next year will be very exiting" he has given us enough clues to nudge us towards that way of seeing things. Difficult for the board because I suspect my Slater quote from above is quite near the truth and how were they supposed to handle things ? Once accepting this season was dead they could either appease a group of players who had no future with Charlton or give the supporters enough information and hope so that season tickets are shifted. This rumour of 15 or so players leaving and some mind blowing signings arriving if true would only have come from the very very top and must have been leaked for the reasons I have given. I for one am taking the hint and waiting for an exiting summer and next season. If for any reason I am mistaken well ....... God knows what's in store.
  • Options
    Mr Slater needed to release something to appease the fans. There's also no point revealing how much money you have to spend as clubs will just up the price.

Would love it if we have money to spend to create a strong squad like Southampton and more importantly create a squad which will be good enough to compete in the Championship as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BRE, the squad they are going to put together is going to be built with premiere league football in mind not just competing in the championship but one good enough to get in the prem as quick as possible.
  • Options
    hmmm
    Charlton manager doing Ok with limited funds is replaced by manager with loads of money to blow on new signings.

Its deja vu all over again

Lets hope it turns out better than the last time this scenario played out otherwise the status quo will be back where it was before...er...
  • Options
    There is no doubt in my mind that this lot means business. Jiminez doesn't seem the sort of guy who would be content knocking around in Div 3 for long. Vetere is another big hitter who has spent much of his career fishing for talent at a higher level. The problem is not their intent, but rather persuading players of a different class to come and play in the 3rd Division!
  • Options
    Am I in the squad?
  • Options
    Don't buy all this premier league squad building talk.

We are in the 3rd division. The best we can hope for is a squad to compete and hopefully get out of this division.

By default a squad that gets you out of division 3 should be able to compete in division 2.

Anyone that thinks we are on a fast track back to the Premier League is going to be very disappointed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]hmmm
    Charlton manager doing Ok with limited funds is replaced by manager with loads of money to blow on new signings.

Its deja vu all over again

Lets hope it turns out better than the last time this scenario played out otherwise the status quo will be back where it was before...er...

And the relevance is ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Anyone that thinks we are on a fast track back to the Premier League is going to be very disappointed.

Has anyone said that?
  • Options
    I do not believe these rumours. I think its something to give fans hope when performances have been so bad. The reality has consistently come from the board- we are going to build a competitive side in a sensible and financially sound manner. If we wanted to sign players with the potential to play in the Premiership then we would have to pay over the odds in terms of transfer fees and wages - that is not going to happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]And the relevance is ?

1. Fairly obvious
    2. Light hearted this lovely Sunday morning
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]We are in the 3rd division. The best we can hope for is a squad to compete and hopefully get out of this division.

I have to agree with Clem.

It doesn't matter how you get out of 3rd Division, just do it ..... whatever the shortcomings of the present team, it should have been augmented and pushed to at least get a play-off place.

Even if we had not have been promoted through the playoffs, it nevertheless would have brought a level of excitement to the club - in my view, a positive platform to rebuild on.

And if we had somehow scrambled our way to promotion, then the player cull could still have happened (it's going to happen anyway) but as a Championship side we'd attract a better quality of player.

What we don't want as a 3rd tier team, is to attract mercenaries who just punch their way through a game and collect their money. We've seen all that before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am certainly not expecting prem players but I am expecting good quality from the better Div 1 players and there are quite a few and to enhance that with Championship quality. It won't be cheap but no more expensive than missing out on promotion again. Very difficult balancing act but it's the only realistic way Charlton are going to progress with any degree of confidence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]And the relevance is ?

1. Fairly obvious
    2. Light hearted this lovely Sunday morning

Sorry if my comment sounded sharp but that was then. This is now. Different managers, different players and different board. Little similarity in reality but I can see the analogy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry if my comment sounded sharp but that was then. This is now. Different managers, different players and different board. Little similarity in reality but I can see the analogy.

No worries - though I thought the deja vu comment established my frippery!

It was Santayana who said
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

But he also made a cautionary comment for Charlton fan (atic) s
    Fanaticism consists in redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What we don't want as a 3rd tier team, is to attract mercenaries who just punch their way through a game and collect their money. We've seen all that before.
    Agree. We don't want a squad of expensive players who are only signing for the long contract and big wages. There's also the danger they come in thinking they're too good for this league.

We can do well in this league signing better players from other clubs. Players on the way up, something to prove, here for the long term. That's how a lot of clubs have won promotion from this league, rather than loans and expensive signings from the Prem or abroad.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Powell re-builds the squad, but it's not an easy thing to do, even if he has good money to do it with. The club might have several targets but that doesn't mean we'll manage to sign them all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]BRE, the squad they are going to put together is going to be built with premiere league football in mind not just competing in the championship but one good enough to get in the prem as quick as possible.

I hope your right. Only concern is to attract these type of players you would need to convince them and pay them big wages to play at L1 level even for only a season, unless theres alot of oney behind the scenes this isn't sustainable in the long term unless we reach the PL

I have no idea how much money we have but I hope we now have the backing to sign some young players (21,22,23 etc) who are not that well known but can go on to become good players in the leagues above and they improve with us and take us up with them.

We need to build a spine of a team which is going to be with us for the next 2/3 years this summer and one which is also good enough to obviously push on if we got promoted. I'm hoping this is the last season we see a huge overhaul of players, the last 5 years we must have seen around 100 players playing for us, every week a new guy turns up on loan you don't really know these players like we used to.

Just wish the summer was already here, hopefully we can use this time from now to the end of the season to start making enquiries to the players CP wants instead of waiting till the summer.
  • Options
    Getting rid of players under contract is easier said than done hence why we still have Youga on our books.

Keeping the players you want isn't easy either. See Jenkinson.

Recruiting players able to play in the Prem while you're in league 1 isn't simple either no matter how "significant" your budget or how wide you spread your net.

And who is selecting these players? Slater and Jiminez who've never played pro football. Vetere who has officially joined the Club yet? Or the Manager?

Lots of rumours and hints of great things to come but still very little of substance to back them up.

Powell has to be given the time and resources to do HIS job and I still back him to do that but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, not in the recipe..
  • Options
    Paulo Di Canio was a mind blowing signing. What kind of blowing signing can you possibly get in league one?
  • Options
    Was told Semedo is off, we cant afford his 7k a week wages
  • Options
    even if they think they are out in the summer they should be playing thier socks off so they are appealing to another club we are now a shop window for them to show thier talent oh i forgot if they got any we need hard working players with passion not people poncing a wage packet
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCsayer[/cite]Was told Semedo is off, we cant afford his 7k a week wages
    So we can't afford £7k a week but we're also going to overhaul the squad with mindblowing signings that are good enough for the Prem.

Going to be an interesting summer.