Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mass clear-out this summer

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Agreed. You build a squad to get out of L1, worry about the CCC when you get there.

Absolute bollocks.

The question is not "how many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?".

The question is "how many of the Brighton squad will be OK at Championship level?". And the answer is "most of them".

You build a squad that's good enough for the league above. Then promotion from the current league takes care of itself .. and you don't get relegated from the league above.
    Agree 100% with this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Agreed. You build a squad to get out of L1, worry about the CCC when you get there.

Absolute bollocks.

The question is "how many of the Brighton squad will be OK at Championship level?". And the answer is "most of them".

You build a squad that's good enough for the league above. Then promotion from the current league takes care of itself .. and you don't get relegated from the league above.
    Does the same rule apply to Championship to EPL?
  • Options
    The longer we stay in L1 the harder it will be to get out of it. We will be increasingly seen as a L1 club and the better players will take some convincing to come and play for us.

The formula for getting out of L1 is to build a well-balanced squad of players who want to play for Charlton and for each-other. Sounds easy - we're finding out just how difficult that actually is.

I'm not sure I buy in to the idea of building a team for the Championship to get promotion from L1.
  • Options
    some players might already have signed precontracts elsewhere (would we know if they had) so may be playing soft to avoid injury - I doubt it though, I think its just an excuse to blame the players
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]The formula for getting out of L1 is to build a well-balanced squad of players who want to play for Charlton and for each-other. Sounds easy - we're finding out just how difficult that actually is.

I'm not sure I buy in to the idea of building a team for the Championship to get promotion from L1.

I'm sure the idea is to put together a core of players of sufficient standard who will develop and grow together as a team, even once promotion is attained. That way you keep a level of continuity, without the need for total reconstruction...... which maintains the team spirit and togetherness that helped win promotion in the first place.

Having said that, however, I do feel you need some players who can compete at League One level, who have the experience and understand what is needed in this division.

All successful teams have the right balance, to become like Curbs' teams, "....greater than the sum of it's parts".
    It's the platform that builds unity and consistancy - and if you have a matchwinner like BWP, all the better.
  • Options

Absolute bollocks.

With respect Dave, its not bollocks at all.

If you are living in a council flat you plan to get a nice terraced house somewhere before you start thinking about getting a big feck off pile on Blackheath.

At the moment we are 12th in L1, how can we start thinking about the CCC whilst we are still in this shite league?

I've got a good idea, let's build a squad that can be competitive and actually win automatic promotion - just like Millwall and Leeds did - and then we can think about CCC football.

So many of our recent problems have been caused by us thinking we were "too good" to be in our current division, whether it was in the CCC under Pardew or L1 under Parky/Powell, rather than digging in and fighting our way out like everyone else has too.

If our L1 promotion team is good enough for CCC football then great, but if its not then just bring some new players in once we win promotion - but how about we get promoted first before we worry about the CCC?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]How many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?

They have got the formula for this league spot on.[/quote]

This

[quote][cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Agreed. You build a squad to get out of L1, worry about the CCC when you get there.[/quote]

Absolute bollocks.

You build a squad that's good enough for the league above. Then promotion from the current league takes care of itself .. and you don't get relegated from the league above.[/quote]
    Agree 100% with this.[/quote]

And this
  • Options
    The re-signing of Chris Iwelumo and Andy Reid please.....in my dreams!

On a serious note, i was also told (after the brentford game) that only 4 of the starting 11 will be there come the start of next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]On a serious note, i was also told (after the brentford game) that only 4 of the starting 11 will be there come the start of next season.

Some people must certainly be well connected with the club.

Or were you told by "the bloke behind you"....?

;o)
  • Options
    Oggy i have no reason to make it up and i definitely haven't got any connections with the club but i did have a conversation after the game with a highly thought of person associated with Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Absolute bollocks.

I've got a good idea, let's build a squad that can be competitive and actually win automatic promotion - just like Millwall and Leeds did - and then we can think about CCC football.

Think you've condradicted yourself a bit there! Both teams are doing well in the CCC, along with Norwich, without huge changes in their squad, Bournemouth in L1 are another. The best example I can think of of a team who bought with the llong term aim, not just a quick fix are Fulham. They bought Prem players for the third division, so it can be done, who knows what the summer will bring?
    On the topic of Semedo, I love the guy, my favourite current player by far, but I think the quote about Stewart playing to earn a contract, and being the player the team may be built around (think it was a newsshopper article) suggests the writings on the wall, and it won't be because the club can afford 7k!
  • Options
    4. BWP, Semedo, Elliot and Solly?
  • Options
    Unfortunately BigRed i dont think Semedo was included!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]4. BWP, Semedo, Elliot and Solly?
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Unfortunately BigRed i dont think Semedo was included!
    Could easily mean one or two of Bessone, Dailly or even Llera.
  • Options
    realistically i think he meant Elliot, Jenkinson, Wagstaff and BWP
  • Options
    Forgot about Wagstaff, I'm sure he'll be one of them, those 4 sound most likely (Guessing you mean Solly not Jenkinson)
  • Options
    Back then i think they thought Jenks was going to sign a new deal (solly came on for him)
  • Options
    Shame Semedo seems to be getting more and more stick these days - we really have turned on everyone havent we? Id like to see him given a chance alongside some genuinely creative midfield players and let him concentrate on protecting the back four and winning possession - people can cry out all they want for creativity, but what good will it be if we dont tighten up defensively, we've been woeful at the back for a long time now.
  • Options
    semedo has had one decent season , last season ... the rest has been chuff imo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Re the 4 to stay from the Brentford starting line up:

Elliot did not play although I hope he stays
    Solly did not start and he will stay
    Therefore I think the 4 will be: Waggy, Semedo, BWP and maybe they meant Jenkinson as this was before the contract saga was publicised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Semedo will be one of the players we try to keep. I think Robbie is pretty safe too. depsite a large number going, there will be a significant number staying and that is as it should be.
  • Options
    We need to factor into the equation any youngsters who might be ready for the first team squad. It is I think a fact of life for Clubs of our size that the Academy is of enormous importance for growth. I believe also that with the emergence of some third world countries now, we should use our overseas connections perhaps with the participation of a feeder Club, to inject fresh young talent.
  • Options
    What ever happened to all those kids from the Ivory Coast?!?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bubble[/cite]What ever happened to all those kids from the Ivory Coast?!?!
    I believe we have one left.
  • Options
    With all this talk of a “mass clear out” something strikes me as odd. Isn’t it actually quite normal at this level to experience a high turnover of players each season ?

This isn’t the Prem where players are awarded 4 or 5 year deals, down here 1 or 2 seems to be the norm, and if that’s the case then it logically follows that half your squad would have their contract expire at the end of any given season. Therefore, if we assume that most of the teams in the League are in a similar position then I don’t quite understand why we would be suffering from players with a lack of motivation because their contracts are up ?
  • Options
    I heard from a mate whose Mum cleans a house down Sparrows Lane, that the entire training complex is going firebombed. The owners are planning to take the insurance money and set up a cricket club instead. They are currently in talks with Robbie about being wicket keeper. All the other players will be sold / killed.

FACT.
  • Options
    I'd keep: Elliot, Semedo, Wagstaff, Racon, BWP, Reid, Solly, Anyinsah and Worner. Plus maybe Stavrinou, Harriott and Tuna.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd add to that list Francis, Llera, Doc - but not necessarily as first teamers - not sure about Stav or Tuna and might need to add Mambo to Maybes. EVen though Anyinsah is a crock we ought to take a risk that we can sort him out because he is excellent at this level.

As for the loanees- I get the impression Eccleston won't want to come back although I'd consider him on a season long loan if he did. I'd also like to see a bit more of Bessone & Parrett - they would be possibilities.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bubble[/cite]What ever happened to all those kids from the Ivory Coast?!?!
    I believe we haveone left.
    so when can we get a work permit/whatever for him? Is he any good?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    I believe we haveone left.
    so when can we get a work permit/whatever for him? Is he any good?

If football manager is anything to go by, NEVER