Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mass clear-out this summer

Comments

• Options
    Well theres been a mass clear out every summer since 2007 so I don't see why this season should be any different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCsayer[/cite]Was told Semedo is off, we cant afford his 7k a week wages

He'd better not end up at Millwall because he effing hates them!
  • Options
    Semedo is out of contract in the summer regardless so will have to negotiate a new contract with us or. another club.

I doubt anyone will offer him the 6K a week he is now.
  • Options
    Another summer of intense speculation awaits us....either we can't afford to pay Semedo like wages or we are going to be blowing people's minds by assembling a formidable crack team of Addick Avengers (TM).

Deja Vu - we spent all last summer wildly speculating and waiting for a takeover that didn't happen (it eventually showed up in the form of a Christmas pressie).

This summer the football rumours rumour mill type thingy will be going into overdrive as we sizzle out the summer in feverish anticipation of impending football delight.....don't say you don't love it, we all do!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Another summer of intense speculation awaits us....either we can't afford to pay Semedo like wages or we are going to be blowing people's minds by assembling a formidable crack team of Addick Avengers (TM).

Deja Vu - we spent all last summer wildly speculating and waiting for a takeover that didn't happen (it eventually showed up in the form of a Christmas pressie).

This summer the football rumours rumour mill type thingy will be going into overdrive as we sizzle out the summer in feverish anticipation of impending football delight.....don't say you don't love it, we all do![/quote]

Bring it on!
  • Options
    Of course with a big clear out and loads of replacements coming in, if Powell gets off to a bad start he''ll be able to use the old chesnut 'the team needs time to gel'!
  • Options
    If it's not on football rumours then it's not true
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCsayer[/cite]Was told Semedo is off, we cant afford his 7k a week wages

Don't get me wrong but I would think the chances of Jose getting half his current money are pretty slim nomatter where he ends up.
  • Options
    The problem is we had the squad to bounce back up first time of asking but we blew it. Last years squad with the inclusion of BWP would win the league!
  • Options
    Semedo is a player of very limited ability and it is hard to imagine a promotion winning side with a player of his standard in it.

The best he can hope for is a new contract with significantly reduced wages.

Since he'll be very lucky to get a decent deal elswhere he may well accept reduced terms, but if the Club has both ambition and the resources to build a side capable of winning Division One I wouldn't be at all surprised if Semedo is released or, at best, offered a "cheap, take it of leave" deal as a squad player.

In any event, what happens with Jose will be quite instructive I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mundell Fleming[/cite]Semedo is a player of very limited ability and it is hard to imagine a promotion winning side with a player of his standard in it.

Since he'll be very lucky to get a decent deal elswhere he may well accept reduced terms, but if the Club has both ambition and the resources to build a side capable of winning Division One I wouldn't be at all surprised if Semedo is released or, at best, offered a "cheap, take it of leave" deal as a squad player.

I would have thought he's the first name on the teamsheet. People used to say the same sort of stuff about Kish yet, at the time, we were always a better side with him in it.

I'd like to see us strike a deal with Semedo for next season.
  • Options
    However kish was a better user of the ball then semedo. Dont get me wrong i love semedo but to me he looks like a centre back playing center mid.
  • Options
    It speaks volumes when our best and most consistent midfielder is a centre half by trade. I would like to Semedo stay but hope its not as a midfield mainstay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mundell Fleming[/cite]Semedo is a player of very limited ability and it is hard to imagine a promotion winning side with a player of his standard in it.

I would have thought he's the first name on the teamsheet. People used to say the same sort of stuff about Kish yet, at the time, we were always a better side with him in it.

I'd like to see us strike a deal with Semedo for next season

I was conscious when I posted that I was being controversial and I'm not at all surprised by your reaction. I guess its all about opinions though and my considerable optimism about next season would be materially deflated if it became clear that Jose was "the first name on the teamsheet".

For me, his lack of awareness and poise when in possession is a huge liability, slowing things down and preventing the side developing any fluency. Also, imagine what the opposing manager must think after 20 minutes of a game against Charlton? By then it will be obvious a) that Semedo presents no offensive threat whatsoever and b) that if pressed he has no ability to escape. Its no wonder we get overrun in midfield week in week out. Whilst I accept that today we may have no better alternative, if there is money to spend in the summer replacing Jose simply has to be a priority.

By the way, I thought Kishishev was outstanding. A much better footballer than Semedo, even adjusted for the level of football he was playing at. I really don't think there's any comparison.

It's all about opinions though and I accept that I'm probably in the minority here.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Semedo stay, one of our best players the past few seasons and I think he does his job well.

Theres about 12 other players who I'd rather see go than Jose. Who knows Powell may even want to try him at centre back again. At this level players like Semedo and Racon are more than comfortable for a side wanting to challenge for promotion, in Racons case if he doesn't start then to have him available in the squad throughout a season is a massive improvement than having a McCormack or Spring on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I'd like to see Semedo stay, one of our best players the past few seasons and I think he does his job well.

Theres about 12 other players who I'd rather see go than Jose. Who knows Powell may even want to try him at centre back again. At this level players like Semedo and Racon are more than comfortable for a side wanting to challenge for promotion, in Racons case if he doesn't start then to have him available in the squad throughout a season is a massive improvement than having a McCormack or Spring on the bench.

If we can afford!.......I would go with this, Semedo is a very decent player in our side this season!. I know that is not saying a lot, but there are a lot worse than that guy!
  • Options
    On Semedo it all depends what sort of money we have to spend.

In a 4-4-2 he is limited, but in a 3 man central midfield he could be very good at this level. Imagine him in a 4-3-3 with a proper playmaker and box-to-box midfielder next to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mundell Fleming[/cite]By the way, I thought Kishishev was outstanding. A much better footballer than Semedo, even adjusted for the level of football he was playing at. I really don't think there's any comparison.

It's all about opinions though and I accept that I'm probably in the minority here.

I'm sure there's a few of us on here who broadly agree with what you are saying.

A player is selected not necessarily because he has more footballing skill or ability on the ball, but because he can bring something that contributes to the balance and effectiveness of the team.

In Kish's case he closed down quickly in midfield, denying opponents space and time on the ball.
    He covered and tracked back, and provided the platform for others to do the creative stuff.

In an earlier team, Keith Jones played a similar role.

To a point, so does Semedo; He can be particularly effective in a 4-5-1, sitting deep as the destroyer playing the 'Makelele' role. But somehow in a 4-4-2 there is an unbalance when he plays........ primarily when he wins the ball, he rarely moves forward with it invariably looking for a quick short pass to feet sideways or back. If he is quickly closed down himself, he can often be caught in possession or gives the hospital ball that puts team mates under pressure. Opponents quickly see this.

Together with our defence playing so deep from our 18 yard line, it's that lack of movement and forward vision which in IMO contributes to our ineffective midfield and lack of creativity.

Semedo's attitude is first class and nobody can deny his commitment ...... but this season I feel he has been unwittingly a major factor in our frequent inabilty to control midfield. Again it's that question of balance within the team - and perhaps why our midfield lacks creativity and gets overun.
  • Options
    I'd only want to keep BWP, Jackson and Semedo anyway.

Be happy to keep Dailly, Solly, Racon and Elliot too but not essential.

But just because we apparently have some money, of which no one is sure, why does it mean we will steamroller league 1? Powell has shown nothing to convince me that he can mould, or pick, a squad. ppl were panicking when Parky had to select a completely new squad from scratch so why is it different with Powell?
  • Options
    I like Semedo he seems a more than decent pro but I entirely agree with Oggy. If you are going to have central midfileder play so deep you must have complementary skills in the players around him to give you the creative balance and attacking presence.

Crucially the central midfielder has also to be able to read the game, in terms of providing/ organizing support and or defensive cover across the field. It is what Keith Jones was so good at. I am not sure Semedo has shown consistently he has the ability and the personality to do that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Semedo is by far and away the best defender at the club, the problem is not him it is that we keep playing him in midfield.

As for a clear out in the summer that is a given with the number of players out of contract whether we have money or not.
  • Options
    Can't quote over the page, but in response to Floyd Montana....."has anyone said this?"

Read post 12.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'm buying the rumour that there's a lot of money to sign lots of quality replacements next season.

If we had the money to do this, would the club risk disclosing their potential transfer budget just for the sake of getting a couple of thousand extra season tickets (from supporters who would probably rush back in early August anyway, if they saw a procession of decent signings)?
  • Options
    I think any signings made will be one's that they believe are at least capable of playing in a top ten Championship side. No point assembling a team good enough to get us out of League 1 only to dismantle it again the following summer. How many will be good enough for PL football, who knows ? I also believe some such as McOxo, Francis, Doc maybe Benson may be 'encouraged' to move on although there is no reason why they should if under contract but to sit around for a season doing sod all would do their career and reputation no good at all. Semedo can stay if he wants, on reduced terms, but I'd see him as a squad player rather than a regular.
  • Options
    I only hope we get the people we want and need and don't end up with some halfway house of 3rd or 4th choices supplemented by another batch of freaking lone signings
  • Options
    I don't buy this talk of a mass clearout and of players like Semedo being 'only good enough for the bench in our new team' guff, If I was a professional footballer I wouldn't touch us with a bargepole at the moment, and I think many pros will be like that too, and if that is the case the players we will end up attracting are the Marcus Bent's, players that come to a club because they are money grabbers. Are they the type of players we would want at our club? They may win a couple of games for us, but what happens if we have a slow start to the season? Will they want to play away to Tranmere or Yeovil or Carlisle on a Tuesday night in February? I'd rather have a team that wants to play together, that battles for everything, can adapt to the different pitches and different tactics employed against them and get us out of this league. If that means we then have to add 7 or 8 players in the summer because some of the players may not be the best technical players in the Championship, then so be it.

Oh, and to me a mind blowing signing would be someone like Yakubu, or Kolo Toure, or Becks,or any other quite frankly ridiculous suggestion, and not 'Charlton sign Lee Martin on a free', 'Amdy Faye Returns' or 'Kyel Reid signs 4 year extension'
  • Options
    How many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?

They have got the formula for this league spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]How many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?

Spot on, if anyone thinks we are going to get a player capable of playing in the Prem to come and play 3rd division football they are completely deluded. We are where we are and people need to get used to that and accept that at this moment in time we are in Div3. Hopefully we can assemble a squad for promotion next season but lets not get carried away and saddle a load of new players with completely over hyped expectations then boo them when they don't meet them.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]How many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?

Agreed. You build a squad to get out of L1, worry about the CCC when you get there.

The last man to build us a really decent L1 squad was Alan Pardew, there was a man with vision.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Agreed. You build a squad to get out of L1, worry about the CCC when you get there.

Absolute bollocks.

The question is not "how many superstar big names are in the Brighton squad?".

The question is "how many of the Brighton squad will be OK at Championship level?". And the answer is "most of them".

You build a squad that's good enough for the league above. Then promotion from the current league takes care of itself .. and you don't get relegated from the league above.