Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale 2-0 Charlton - Post Match Sorrows

Comments

• Options
    shine on you crazy diamond...
  • Options
    I heard that we were the better side and come up against their keeper having a good day. Anyway - sounds like we might have been a bit unlucky last night which was more than D&R at least. We need to look beyond the scoreline - sounds like if we play like that, well win a few. But of course- big changes are needed for next season, best not to get too het up about it all. My thoughts are already moving towards the summer - lets see what happens then - this team is broken - we can debate what would have happened if Parky had stayed but it's pretty pointless- a lot of our fans never took to him and were never going to give him a chance. Powell needs to be judged on his team which we will see next season.
  • Options
    I was there last night .

I am not certifiable.

I do NOT have an agenda

I do NOT wear rose coloured specs.

I sat NOWHERE near Golfie & Large but.....

spoke after the match and agreed wholeheartedly that it was a very decent performance from the lads.

Sorry if some on here ( who invariably were sat at home with their feet up) can't accept telling it like it is .

And pleased that the boo boys had nothing to keep them happy last night. Shame !

SCP is now fielding a more balanced team than we've witnessed for some time - partly down to injuries clearing up and to decent loanees especially Parrett . Midfield looking more comfortable and feisty IMHO ....and Racon had by far his best game for us .

As I've stated before, we have what we have , we are what we are until the close season. Progress IS being made ( you only have to compare last night with D&R )

Let's hope the home fans witness as committed a performance on Saturday and maybe we'll read a few less pessimistiic comments on here ...

Pigs might fly.

BTW I was told that the stats for last night were : Rochdale 7 attempts on goal / 2 on taget ( the latter from a corner that those home fans behind our goal stated was DEFINITELY a goal kick )
    Charlton 19 attempts on goal / 7 on target.
  • Options
    Good to read Fanny, but you know what the only stat that matters is...
  • Options
    What really makes me laugh when I read some comments on here is the fact some fans think we shouldn't be playing Rochdale and that by losing last night was some kind of "new low"

Well, I have news for some of you.................we are in the 3rd tier of English football and so are Rochdale. Blackpool, on the other hand, are in the top tier, along with another footballing non-entity, Wigan. You best get used to that fact. It is not going to change for some time and moaing that we lost 2-0, no matter how well we player, is somehow not acceptable to you is complete tosh. We are where we are. Full stop.

Also, echoing what Fanny Fannackapan posted.................what gives you the right to say that we should all be hanging our heads in shame because we lost 2-0 last night to "lowly" Rochdale without even going to the game ? One of the main reasons I go home & away is that I feel that I can rightly comment on the performances I see because I actually SEE them, and not just listen to the commentary/read text messages/read 2nd hand reports on how we played.

For the record...............we were miles better last night than we have been for months and if we had played like that since xmas we would certainly not be 13th and probbaly be comfortably top 6. The players certainly didn't look like they have given up on the season, but then agaIN, YOU WOULDN'T KNOW THAT BEACUSE YOU DIDN'T GO AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. I am known for being one of the most criticall/negative posters on here, but last night was one of the best games I have seen all season, with some very good performances (Racon, Waggy, Parrett, Benson) from players who were abject at MK Dons and D&R just a few weeks back...............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]I was there last night .

I am not certifiable.

I do NOT have an agenda

I do NOT wear rose coloured specs.

I sat NOWHERE near Golfie & Large but.....

spoke after the match and agreed wholeheartedly that it was a very decent performance from the lads.

Sorry if some on here ( who invariably were sat at home with their feet up) can't accept telling it like it is .

And pleased that the boo boys had nothing to keep them happy last night. Shame !

SCP is now fielding a more balanced team than we've witnessed for some time - partly down to injuries clearing up and to decent loanees especially Parrett . Midfield looking more comfortable and feisty IMHO ....and Racon had by far his best game for us .

As I've stated before, we have what we have , we are what we are until the close season. Progress IS being made ( you only have to compare last night with D&R )

Let's hope the home fans witness as committed a performance on Saturday and maybe we'll read a few less pessimistiic comments on here ...

Pigs might fly.

BTW I was told that the stats for last night were : Rochdale 7 attempts on goal / 2 on taget ( the latter from a corner that those home fans behind our goal stated was DEFINITELY a goal kick )
    Charlton 19 attempts on goal / 7 on target.

I was also there last night and agree with the above although i left feeling dejected at the defeat as we played well enough to get at least a point.
  • Options
    Of course the only stat that matters is the result, but you can either choose to be really angry at another defeat, or choose to feel a tiny bit encouraged at the improvement over the last 3 games.

I would much rather choose to feel positive that we can turn it around.
  • Options
    well said golfy , we were there and no it was a lot better than it seems in the cold light of day !!

still if we'd won 0-1 and played utter tosh and those of us that went to the game came on and said we were so lucky to win that and played awful you'd have got slagged off for being pessimistic

i saw it and I BELIEVE
  • Options
    Did you go last night oohahh? Haven't seen it mentioned...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Did you go last night oohahh? Haven't seen it mentioned...

New Ground Syndrome ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For a thread titled ''Post match SORROWS'', this has turned into a refreshingly upbeat and encouraging discussion!
  • Options
    I only get to the northern matches and the occasional trip to the Valley, before last night the last time I saw Charlton play was on TV against Swindon and the last live game was at Carlisle.

The plain fact of the matter is that we lost to a better footballing side, Rochdale players have the ability to pass the ball along the ground to each other in the direction of their opponents goal, and when they get there they are faced with a defence that is poorly organised and has little cohesion. We did have quite a few attempts on goal; and we were up against a goalkeeper in top form, unlike ours who flapped around his area like an overgrown pink swan. OK 'Dales second goal came from a disputed corner, it doesn't matter that the corner should have been a goal kick we still defended it badly. Very few of our defenders are able to turn defence into attack unless you say the heading the ball upto the halfway line is attack as if one of our forwards did get the ball they gave it straight back to the opposition. The only exceptions to my criticisms are Wagstaff, Solly, Parrett, Dailly and Benson who all did their part in trying to play football and win the game, Ok the rest tried hard but were pathetic.

So to you regulars that say we played well I completely disagree there was only one "football" team on that pitch and they wore blue.

Oh yes and Parrett was carrying an injury for the last five minutes of the game and although he was incapacitated still tried his best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]What really makes me laugh when I read some comments on here is the fact some fans think we shouldn't be playing Rochdale and that by losing last night was some kind of "new low"

Well, I have news for some of you.................we are in the 3rd tier of English football and so are Rochdale. Blackpool, on the other hand, are in the top tier, along with another footballing non-entity, Wigan. You best get used to that fact. It is not going to change for some time and moaing that we lost 2-0, no matter how well we player, is somehow not acceptable to you is complete tosh. We are where we are. Full stop.

Also, echoing what Fanny Fannackapan posted.................what gives you the right to say that we should all be hanging our heads in shame because we lost 2-0 last night to "lowly" Rochdale without even going to the game ? One of the main reasons I go home & away is that I feel that I can rightly comment on the performances I see because I actually SEE them, and not just listen to the commentary/read text messages/read 2nd hand reports on how we played.

For the record...............we were miles better last night than we have been for months and if we had played like that since xmas we would certainly not be 13th and probbaly be comfortably top 6. The players certainly didn't look like they have given up on the season, but then agaIN, YOU WOULDN'T KNOW THAT BEACUSE YOU DIDN'T GO AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. I am known for being one of the most criticall/negative posters on here, but last night was one of the best games I have seen all season, with some very good performances (Racon, Waggy, Parrett, Benson) from players who were abject at MK Dons and D&R just a few weeks back...............

Good post Golfie, I find myself (bizarrely) agreeing with you, I was at D+R and it was soul destroying, because you were there and you say it was a good performance then that is good enough for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]We were up against a goalkeeper in top form, unlike ours who flapped around his area like an overgrown pink swan.

Overgrown Pink Swan...Priceless :-)
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    If our current run/performances/results are upbeat and refreshing I can't wait until we actually win a game!

We're not minnows in this league, we should not accept a decent performance and a crap result. Or should we?

This wasnt us playing Chelsea in our Prem days or anything like that. I respect the people that went and I respect their views on the game but the pure fact that we are celebrating improved performances rather than winning games shows that the short tenure of Chris Powell has been a disaster for our club considering where we were and the opportunities we had when he was appointed. And saying that people would rather watch what they did last night rather than a "Parky 1-0" is absolutely mental.
  • Options
    So from what I can read on here...

Its ok to play well and lose - under Powell
    Its not ok to play not so well and win - under Parky

Obviously none of this matters unless you were one of the 200 actually there though.

27 years as a STH and 20 years of barely missing an away game doesnt matter.

But no agendas here...

LOL
  • Options
    I think many of us are just grateful that Jiminez and Slater have saved us from administration, that the era of make-do and mend is over, that there's a plan in place for the club to move forward and new players will soon be arriving to work with the new manager.

You'll see a year from now, when we're sitting where Brighton/Southampton are currently placed!
  • Options
    I'll hold you to that Incorruptible, I bet you my mortgage we wont be.

In fact as recently as October you were demanding that promotion was imperative this season under "the last bloke"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I'll hold you to that Incorruptible, I bet you my mortgage we wont be.

In fact as recently as October you were demanding that promotion was imperative this season under "the last bloke"

In October it was imperative because we would have been out of business with out it.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I'll hold you to that Incorruptible, I bet you my mortgage we wont be.

In October it was imperative because we would have been out of business with out it.

If you want to bet your mortgage backing Charlton to fail, Southend, that's your business. You are going to have some uncomfortable moments when we go on our winning spree next season! But hey, I've got a very big house with plenty of unused spare bedrooms if you end up on the street !!!

As Southampton points out, in October promotion was imperative because RIchard Murray had told us that without a takeover we would not be a viable business facing a third year in division three, and the sums would only add up if we were promoted .

Fortunately, this threat to our very survival was averted by the arrival of TJ and MS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    "Potentially the lowest number of season ticket holders next season since the Lennie days next season."

No chance of that whatsoever - based on what's actually coming in.
  • Options
    I find your comments bizarre, Lancashire Lad.

I won't deny that Rochdale DID play well with a neat passing game - it's inevitably a squad of hardworking guys who have played together all season bar a few changes. They looked comfortable with each other and undoubtedly worked hard as a team.

Therein lies the difference....Llera has only recently returned to the starting eleven, Solly & Bessone have only just returned from injury, Parrett is a relative newcomer to the midfield and Anyinsah is in & out like a...I'll leave you to fill in the gap ! Hardly a settled team which only a few games ago contained Fry, McCormack, Francis, Jenkinson & Worner..And if you'd witnessed as many matches as myself & others on here this season, no doubt you'd have been clamouring for 2 of those changes to be made. For me, last night's line up ( with Benson on board) was the most balanced & strongest that I've seen since SCP arrived. Rome wasn't built in a day ...

Last night's performance was incomparable with others recently witnessed and shows what a vast improvement has been made since D&R. Sadly, you were missing in action for all those games so , with respect, I fail to see how pertinent or relevant your comments are...although of course you have every right to make them heard. Forgive me if I cover my ears though.....
  • Options
    Good to see Airman, personally will be amazed if we sell more than 5-6000 by the cut off date in a weeks time, but will be very glad to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like Max Boyce, I was there...

Don't get to many games so I can't make comparisons to previous matches but what I saw did not look like a team that had been on such a poor run...

There was a helluver lot of commitment and determination, everyone seemed to be working their socks off to grind out a result...

Their first goal was one of those shots that either fly in or hit row z, it went in...

Still, heads never went down and we were much the better team for long periods and it seemed just a matter of time before we equalised...

Then an official gaff gave them the opportunity to get a second which they took, not defending the defending, it was shite, but on the balance of play we didn't deserve to be 2-0 down...

That goal seemed to knock the plug out of us somewhat and our played was mostly uninfluencial after that...

Spoke to some Rochdale fans after the game and they all said they were glad to see the second goal go in as were definitely on top at that stage...

Couldn't pick an individual performance as outstanding but the eleven individuals out there certainly had the makings of a better team...

And if you include the Alpine lager at 1.66p a pint and Olga from the Ukraine whose father was wanted by the KGB I can't remember a better away day...
  • Options
    Fanny - no need to cover your ears.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't see them very often and therefore make the comparison from a very different viewpoint. Yes you are right they are not a settled unit and it showed. I completely agree that Benson made a big positive difference and I can understand that the game was a comparative improvement on that against D&R etc but they were still poor by comparison to the games that I had witnessed, that isn't bizarre it is just a different comparison. Let's hope that they are more settled by the Oldham and Walsall games that I shall attend - I'll let you know my "bizarre" view in due course!
  • Options
    You guys sound more upbeat than the commentators!
    Maybe it was just shite luck!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Did you go last night oohahh? Haven't seen it mentioned...

LOL i thought you'd have seen me there
  • Options
    I was one of those games that whatever our players did the ball wouldn't go in the net whether it was good goalkeeping, or whether it was post,bars or bodies in the way - it happens,

Also I'll be interested how you all rate Rochdale when they come to the Valley in a few weeks, they aren't a bad team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]The only exceptions to my criticisms are Wagstaff, Solly, Parrett, Dailly and Benson who all did their part in trying to play football and win the game, Ok the rest tried hard but were pathetic.

I'm sorry but Racon was outstanding last night. If you didn't see that then you either were not at the game or just plain wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Also I'll be interested how you all rate Rochdale when they come to the Valley in a few weeks, they aren't a bad team.

But Rochdale wasn't built in a day.

That they have had a settled core to the side for a couple of seasons, and a manager who chose his own players to play his way no doubt has it's benefits. This season's good results have been built on top of the momentum from last season's promotion ....... and they played to feet in Division 2.