Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 3 - 1 Rochdale - Post match views

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
All post match chatter here.

Comments

• SOUNDS like a relaxed performance that our defensive was shown to be lacking and our midfield/forwards tidied it up.
  • edited April 2011
    Defensively very very poor. Yet another goal let in from a setplsy.

The rest were ok.

Rochdale were piss poor. Sums this league up.

We are summed up by the stats. 2 wins in 17.
  • Clear evidence that the standard and direction of the coaching is improved. Lovely football at times today with sparkling performances by Racon and Parrett. Still need to get in two centre backs and for me a left back unless Youga remains and is fit. Thought Stewart wa not suited to the holding midfield roll. It has to be said though that the midfield today without Jose looked far more fluid. Hope to hell we can get Parrett next season. Good work ethic from front pair. If serious investment is made then I am really starting to look forward to next season.
  • Surely this justifies a 'Fortress Valley' DVD.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Clear evidence that the standard and direction of the coaching is improved. Lovely football at times today with sparkling performances by Racon and Parrett. Still need to get in two centre backs and for me a left back unless Youga remains and is fit. Thought Stewart wa not suited to the holding midfield roll. It has to be said though that the midfield today without Jose looked far more fluid. Hope to hell we can get Parrett next season. Good work ethic from front pair. If serious investment is made then I am really starting to look forward to next season.

delighted with the win, things are looking up
  • Pleasant.

Best way to initially describe today. Game never scaled any great heights though it was unlikely to, having nothing to play for. The lowest Valley actual turnout for a couple of decades added to the subdued atmosphere. This by all sense and purposes was a pre-season friendly played a couple of months early.

Charlton were solid, played decent football and managed to almost comfortably control the game whilst playing at 70%. Rochdale were particularly disappointing considering their season is / was still alive.

Can't knock anyone negatively. Yes, at least two or three of our back four simply aren't good enough, but they didn't have much up against them today. The keeper continues to impress me, won't be unhappy if he signs for next year. In midfield, the wide players Racon and Eccleston were particularly impressive, Eccleston my MoM. Stewart and Parrett, especially the latter, were solid in the centre and sprayed the ball around to good effect.

All three goals were well executed, with Benson providing an excellent delivery for the third. Nice to see Harriott get on.

All in an enjoyable game, but sadly too little too late.
  • As has been said already,defence was pretty poor today,everytime Rochdale had a corner they threatened. Thought going forward we were very good,some very nice football at times and i left the Valley today happy and hoping that with the right players in,next season bodes well.
  • Impressed with work ethic and felt we took control of the game. Very impressed with Parrett today. I left the ground wondering if we have finally turned the corner. I hope so.
    Good result for Powelly and team.
  • A welcome and deserved win, but lets be fair Rochdale were one of the worst sides we've seen down at the Valley this season. If we can't beat a team like that we are really in trouble.

Parrett was good in midfield and Ecclestone shows promise but surely he should be playing up front instead of the woeful Benson. Can anyone explain why Francis is once again preferred to Solly--baffling.

Frankly, I didn't see anything in today's performance to suggest good times are around the corner--we need a good clear out and the introduction of some decent players with pace, movement of the ball and who can pass. Simple!

Oh yes, and Chris needs to get them together in pre-season to develop a more attractive style of play, otherwise we are in for another long and boring season.
  • Better performance although we just do not look like keeping a clean sheet. Played it around nicely without creating many chances first half, second half was better in this respect although this is where we were awful at defending set plays.

Need to improve the defence as a priority for next season as it present we are really weak in this area. Francis who I am no fan of was ok, where he was poor was with his crosses which as usual hardly ever cleared the first defender.

Overall the work rate was better but just cannot wait for this season to end and hopefully go forward next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• a rare occassion when i deliberately found a reason for not going(blackwall tunnel southbound closure) and slight hangover

glad we won but i'm more stressed about the scums nearness to the play offs , i'm feeling ill
  • The fact Rochdale have been within a chance of the play offs shows how bad this league is. Whats more we have been one of the poorest teams in it. Bet hey we won 3-1 and results breed confidence, 3 straight wins going into next season could make a world of diffrence.
  • is it likely we will get any of the numerous loanees back next season? the only dampner on the result for me, is the fact that we achieved it with so many loan/short term contracted players (6/14 involved)....
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]is it likely we will get any of the numerous loanees back next season? the only dampner on the result for me, is the fact that we achieved it with so many loan/short term contracted players (6/14 involved)....

Very good point Oakster. Quite honestly. Can see us struggling to get either Parrett or Eccleston back an don't want Bessone. Liverpool is a long way for a young lad and I can see him on loan much closer to home next season. Parrett will I think be steered by Spurs towards playing at Championship level. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]is it likely we will get any of the numerous loanees back next season? the only dampner on the result for me, is the fact that we achieved it with so many loan/short term contracted players (6/14 involved)....[/quote]

Very good point Oakster. Quite honestly. Can see us struggling to get either Parrett or Eccleston back an don't want Bessone. Liverpool is a long way for a young lad and I can see him on loan much closer to home next season. Parrett will I think be steered by Spurs towards playing at Championship level. Hope I'm wrong though.[/quote]

Personally think Parrett would struggle in the Championship. Would have him back but don't think we should be looking to him as our midfield saviour.

No interest in re-signing Bessone. Borrowdale is on a free and is a much better player.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]is it likely we will get any of the numerous loanees back next season? the only dampner on the result for me, is the fact that we achieved it with so many loan/short term contracted players (6/14 involved)....

Very good point Oakster. Quite honestly. Can see us struggling to get either Parrett or Eccleston back an don't want Bessone. Liverpool is a long way for a young lad and I can see him on loan much closer to home next season. Parrett will I think be steered by Spurs towards playing at Championship level. Hope I'm wrong though.

Personally think Parrett would struggle in the Championship. Would have him back but don't think we should be looking to him as our midfield saviour.

No interest in re-signing Bessone. Borrowdale is on a free and is a much better player.

If Parrett has any future at White Hart Lane then Spurs will want to continue his football education higher than League one. Being part of a Championship squad even if not playing week in week out would be a step-up for him I would think in terms of development. I would like him back next season if we could get him though.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dwb[/cite] Can anyone explain why Francis is once again preferred to Solly--baffling.[/quote]

My guess is that CP has seen enough of Solly to convince him that he'll be here next year (hence his recent contract renewal), but he's not as yet convinced by Francis hence his recent run of games.
  • Another little improvement in the performance and a 3-1 win.
    Looking forward to next year just a little bit more.
  • Better performance today, big difference in last few games has been that with parrett and stewart and a revitalised racon our midfielders look capable of scoring. Shooting from edge of box got us two goals today
    We are summed up by the stats.

Yep - only two defeats in the last 6 - both to teams facing automatic promotion. Not bad. Always room for improvement, but not horrendous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice to see the ball not being hoofed forward at any given opportunity.

Eccleston looked dangerous every time he got the ball. My MOM.

Racon played well as did Parrett.

Benson worked hard, lovely cross for third.

Back four-inspire no confidence. Feared a goal every time they had a corner and that was through no fault of Sullivan who looks a decent keeper.

Rochdale passed the ball around ok but didn't impress.
  • Today seemed like the first time I was watching a chris powell team, rather than a team parky built. And if we can continue to grow I see no reason why we cant be challenging next season. Parrett and Stewart were brilliant I thought today, and would love both of them to still be here next season.As much as I love Semedo I would prefer to see these 2 in centre mid next season. Racon had the best game hes had this season in my opinion and Eccleston looked very lively today. Defensively we are still dodgy and Powell needs to address this in the summer, but I also think Francis had a good game today. Benson tried hard up front with lots of long balls aimed at him, and I do rate Benson but i do feel we need to look at buying another striker to play alongaside BWP.

Overall im now feeling confident about next season, a couple of decent signings(defensively, maybe another striker), hopefully getting parrett again next season, and I feel we could do well next season.
  • Rochdale nice side with no real bite, played decent football but only really looked dangerous from set plays, although their captain looked good when he drifted forward in the second half. Our midfield four were the difference today, Racon had enough chances for two hatricks, Parrett was everywhere and inventive, Stewart was solid and authorative and NE39 was dangerous all game. Could be an end of season blip or further proof that next season we will be up there, need to keep Stewart, Parrett and hopefully Semedo though
  • Three goals, three points, lovely sunshine, I've got a beer on the go and all of the usual suspects have scuttled away back to their holes because there's nothing to moan about today - what could be better?!
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Borrow dale would be a great free signing, totally agree, and better than bessone.
  • Agree RE the defence.Very shoddy at times.
    Hence why Benson and Wright-phillips were having to get through quite a bit of defensive work.Which was in turn,as you would expect from two centre forwards,shocking.
  • edited April 2011
    Best bit of the day was Keith Hill's ridiculous jig when Rochdale scored. Made him look a bit silly seconds later when we scored again! Cue lots of copy cat jigs and chants of 'You're not dancing anymore!'
    Top man though, took it in good spirit.
  • OK performance overall, we weren't much better than Rochdale but we had more up front.

I'm not convinced by Sullivan, he caught a couple of crosses well but flapped at a few too, and I'm not sure his communication is up to much.

Parrett was terrific and Stewart did what he had to do. If we can hold on to one or both then I'll be happy.

Disappointing that Jenkinson was booed, I don't agree with that for any Charlton player.

As others have said, the signs are positive, but they've come at the wrong time.
  • An enjoyable afternoon in the sunshine, with the usual mixture of the weaknesses that finished our season so early and the signs of ability and promise that make the sum total of the last eight or nine months so frustrating.

Rochdale were poor, but I thought we looked pretty good at times.

Parrett seemed to have a point to prove (or perhaps a new loan contract to win - here or elsewhere?), and Stewart had a good game.

Agree with the positive comments of others about Eccleston - worked hard, looked a threat every time he got on the ball and deserved the goal.
    Shame that for whatever reasons his loan hasn't worked out as effectively as it could have done for both him and us, as you can't help but feel that he had more to give/the management team to get out of him.
  • Much better in midfield - both wide players had good games. Parret and, in particular Stewart, always look for the ball and are there to receive it and play. Different class of player to Semedo and Macormack. Defence sub standard throughout with Francis again displaying what an absolute myth it is that he is a good crosser of the ball - hit and normally miss at best although defensively he did ok today and was needed against their lumps. Bwp is on holiday already and Benson did ok. Bizzarre substitution, solly for Benson - Still need a complete revamp in the summer.