Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 3 - 1 Rochdale - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Stready and continued improvement under Saint Christopher again today despite very subdued atmosphere. Better passing, better pressing, better creativity but still very poor defensively. Like the look of Stewart.

Very disappointed by Rochdale. Another technically poor L1 outfit who are very physical and very well drilled in set pieces.

Weak ref who needs to ease up on the Easter eggs and try and keep up with play.

With two new centre backs we could be favourites for promotion next season.
  • Options
    A workmanlike performance. None of ours outstandingly good or bad. Perhaps it was because we were playing without pressure but (for a welcome change) I felt we always had a little in reserve and didn't feel we were going to lose this one. Parrett got through a lot of work and thoroughly deserved his goal. I'd like him back if possible. Stewart and Racon flitted in and out a bit but both did some good things. Racon in particular took his goal well. Sullivan looked to dominate his area which was a welcome sight. I'd be happy to have him back as real competition for Robbie.

Finally my daughter made her first game for a while which made today all the more enjoyable for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Eccleston did well, shown he has a decent cross, and the rest of his game offers something very different to Waggy.

No disrespect to Waggy but Eccleston takes people on and beats them which makes him far more of an attacking threat.
  • Options
    How many shots did Rochdale have today? Not just on target shots but shots of any description. Two? (the one Sullivan saved and the one that he couldn't save?) Doesn't suggest a poor defensive performance to me. And coming two days after having to defend with 9 men for half an hour on another hot day, the same back four deserve a bit of credit (as do, Stewart and NE for completing the full shift). Charlton have played well over this weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]How many shots did Rochdale have today? Not just on target shots but shots of any description. Two? (the one Sullivan saved and the one that he couldn't save?) Doesn't suggest a poor defensive performance to me. And coming two days after having to defend with 9 men for half an hour on another hot day, the same back four deserve a bit of credit (as do, Stewart and NE for completing the full shift). Charlton have played well over this weekend.

Good point about fatigue from playing with 9 on Saturday impacting on today.

I may have been slightly harsh with some of my marks today as, in all honesty, I forgot about the close proximity of Saturday's game.

I'll sleep on it and perhaps edit some of my marks tomorrow.
  • Options
    We posed more threat today but as said above looked brittle at the back.

Thats the Third league game semedo's missed this season our record in them
    P3 W2 D1 L0 F7 A3 PTS7

If we do well in our remain two games there rests the case for a more attacking CAFC.
  • Options
    The game had an end of season feel to it, we couldn't go up or down & the players seemed to play under no pressure.
  • Options
    5 Goals in 2 games and BWP hasnt scored one of them .............. this is fantasy land!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sorry to miss a rare win, or am I? Not sure really as its meaningless now, plus playing well or not how many of that team will even be there in preseason..I hope the comments about improvement are positive and significant.

Should be an interesting summer. Seems like a centre half is the priority perhaps two
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]God, I thought Francis was excellent. He was defensively sound, even covering left back on one occasion.His forward balls were tidy and inscisive, he joined the attack well.Admittedly, his crossing was a little below par but how can it be a myth when I have seen crossing of the highest orderfrom him in the recent past-Solley is decent but for me, Francis is the better bet- mind you, I call it as I see it and don't have any agendas.

Except it was Francis' man who got free for not just one but two headers for their goal. A couple of times he failed to push out with the centre halves and played their guy onside.

He's not a great defender, he's not great further up the field, he has no pace. I've no axe to grind with him, but seriously could you see Brighton, Southampton or Huddersfield signing Francis? Because that's at the level we're aspiring to next year, and I don't think he'd make a top two team in a million years.

For me Solly is a classic full back. Stops crosses coming in, great positioning, pace to get up and down, decent touch and knows how to link with his flank man. And he'll be first choice next year beyond a doubt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oldbloke[/cite]We posed more threat today but as said above looked brittle at the back.

Thats the Third league game semedo's missed this season our record in them
    P3 W2 D1 L0 F7 A3 PTS7

If we do well in our remain two games there rests the case for a more attacking CAFC.

Project that over the season and you'd have to believe if Semedo hadn't been in there this squad would have won 107 points. Can't draw any conclusion from 3 games.

The point yesterday was that Rochdale played into our hands. They lacked the urgency you'd expect, perhaps because they could hardly believe their league position themselves. Parrett, Stewart and Racon had more time and space than our midfield have had all season, and they're all players who can exploit that. You need the balance in your team, Semedo's only had the focus because he's had no-one to play alongside him until Powel brought Parrett and Stewart in.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm not saying he is the greatest defender ever, just he was our best defender yesterday and people who have an agenda need to pick games where he has had a mare if they are going to slag him off if they don't want this fact to become too obvious. If I went through other's performances with the same fine toothed comb that some do for Francis, sure I could find quite a few weak plays and yes I could ignore the good forward balls he played, sound defensive work- even covering the left back spot at one point and the fact - and this is what I like about him the most - that he always shows in games. I would say improvements need to come in his game, definitely, but it isn't unreasonable to assume that will happen. I think this anti Francis sentiment started when he replaced Solley in the side early in the season - perhaps harshly. Solley is seen as one of ours - which he most definitely is btw - but some forget that so is Francis when he puts on a Charlton shirt!!! Physically he has the right attributes for this level and I could definitely see him being part of a top 2 defence. I think with him and Solley competing for right back we are well sorted in that position for next season and If I was Chrissy, it wouldn't be a position I would be losing any sleep over, whoever gets the nod.
  • Options
    There is no way that Francis can be considered as a defender good enough for a top two team in this or the division below.
    He is simply dreadful.
  • Options
    For me It was good to see how we can play without the need for a defensive midfielder. And that was much better. I like Jose but in League One he isn't needed. We need a more offensive midfield like we did on Monday if we want to get out of this league. I think it will be best all round if he leaves.
  • Options
    To be fair to Semedo, he was fine on Saturday because he has now clearly been given licence to get forward a bit. In the Huddersfield game he got forward for a header that was tipped over and at Rovers he got forward to lob a cross over for Benson's control and volley over the bar. HIs passing was good too at Rovers and there has been a definite change in policy regarding our midfield that will make all of them easier on the eye.
  • Options
    Yes, I think Powell is trying to make his game suit the league and recent performances have suggested this should be succesful. It is almost certain IMO that Semedo will be player of the season and as a general rule of thumb -it is best to keep hold of your better players.
  • Options
    Read something in the paper today about how we are all born with the same ability in our brain and it's just practise that makes you good at something, be it maths, football or whatever. Reminded me of Semedo practising his control and passing. What an absolute load of guff - he will never be anything more than a defender playing in midfield and what a breath of fresh air it was to have a couple of 'proper' centre midfield players on the pitch yesterday, regardless of how much undeniable effort and commitment Semedo puts in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]God, I thought Francis was excellent. He was defensively sound, even covering left back on one occasion.His forward balls were tidy and inscisive, he joined the attack well.Admittedly, his crossing was a little below par but how can it be a myth when I have seen crossing of the highest orderfrom him in the recent past-Solley is decent but for me, Francis is the better bet- mind you, I call it as I see it and don't have any agendas.

Except it was Francis' man who got free for not just one but two headers for their goal. A couple of times he failed to push out with the centre halves and played their guy onside.

He's not a great defender, he's not great further up the field, he has no pace. I've no axe to grind with him, but seriously could you see Brighton, Southampton or Huddersfield signing Francis? Because that's at the level we're aspiring to next year, and I don't think he'd make a top two team in a million years.

For me Solly is a classic full back. Stops crosses coming in, great positioning, pace to get up and down, decent touch and knows how to link with his flank man. And he'll be first choice next year beyond a doubt.

OK - no more tongue biting from me.

Francis was excellent at the weekend.

He is not the greatest defender we've ever had BUT he can see and make passes that NOBODY in our team can do. His crossing can be awesome, he wins a lot of headers and has more technique and first touch than pretty much anyone in the squad (BWP and Racon excluded)

If you look at the corner for their goal there was something VERY wrong with our approach. As the guy took it there were 6 Rochdale players on the edge of the box and they all ran in to set positions - just because it was on the right hand side of the defence does NOT make it Francis' man. The guy who scored was a short fella and Franny would have been told to pick up one of the bigger fellas.

There is clearly a massive agenda on here against Francis. Like there was with Halford, Mooney, Crainey. Maybe we should support the players in the shirts rather than verbally attack their every move.

I'll be the first to admit that Franny isn't the perfect defender - he does get caught out of position & he does give the ball away when he knocks it down the line (into the channel as he is told by the bench) but to say he is the "worst player ever to wear the shirt" as I have seen stated a few times is, frankly ridiculous. Also - to state he is slow is also rather laughable. Like Bessone, Francis has a long stride so covers more ground. Just because his legs aren't blurred doesn't make him slow.
  • Options
    Agreed he isn't the worse player to wear the shirt but he definitely wasn't excellent against Rochdale.
  • Options
    There's not any agenda against "Franny" imho. He did quite well on saturday but overall his season has been below the standard of what I expect to see from a Charlton player. If we want to challenge for promotion next season then we need to aspire higher than players with his ability. Nothing against the bloke but he's not good enough for where we want to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we talking about Simon Francis here? or have we signed somebody else and i've missed it? Trevor, Gerry ????
  • Options
    But you say he did quite well, but lots are saying he was rubbish on Saturday. If Solley had started and had an identical game to Francis, he would have got more recognition for it - that is my point.
  • Options
    Francis has put a few decent crosses in this season, trouble is it normally takes him 5 attempts for the cross to beat the first man (like yesterday)

He was solid enough yesterday, but there's plenty of times this season when he has been a accident waiting to happen rather than solid and dependable which is what the problem is.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    But again, people were saying he was his usual rubbish self yesterday. I can accept people saying he was solid but has been rubbish overall this season, even though I would challenge this personally -but if you are saying he was rubbish in a game when he clearly wasn't, you might just have something against the bloke that is influencing you IMO.
  • Options
    How about Semedo at right back - it's been muted before (and played before also!).

Two centre halves, a left back, a good goalkeeper, Stewart signed, Parrett re-loaned, one wide midfielder, one more striker.

Champions.
  • Options
    How about Semedo at right back - it's been muted before (and played before also!).

Two centre halves, a left back, a good goalkeeper, Stewart signed, Parrett re-loaned, one wide midfielder, one more striker.

Champions.
  • Options
    Francis has had a few decent games but even at this level if you want to be a footballing side you need your full backs to be technically sound. If they have a poor first touch or their passing is hit and miss then this can put the rest of the team under preasure and mean that your strikers or midfielders are battling to retain possesion rather than building an attack, we suffered from this when we had francis and fry playing fb.

The modern full back needs to be as much an outlet as a defender and that's why in my opinion solly is a much better option for us.
  • Options
    First of all I have to say I missed Monday's game. Missed 2 home games all season this one and P'boro, had to bloody win both of them...

I always thought with Francis he's got the physical attributes to be a decent defender, but his first touch is generally poor and his distribution erratic to say the least. People talk of his crossing ability, and while he can deliver an absolute peach it always seems more luck than judgment, with his delivery equally likely to be scuffed against the first man or ballooned into touch as it is to actually do any damage. He's not lightning quick but he's by no means slow, is tall and decent in the air. He always looks to me like a centre half playing full back. Whenever I've seen him I've always wondered how he'd do at centre back. Probably a disaster but doesn't stop me wondering!
  • Options
    I've kept going to games just in case I miss one that I might enjoy and this was it. Shame that the players who made it enjoyable were largely loan players, but hopefully there's more of the same next season if we do get the promised good news. Love the goalie - great entertainment value as well as being quite effective. Also good to see that CP seems to have lost the need to power dress and has opted for a track suit. Hopefully this means he's feeling more confident in his role. Eccleston my MOM.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BeckenhamAddick[/cite]First of all I have to say I missed Monday's game. Missed 2 home games all season this one and P'boro, had to bloody win both of them...

I always thought with Francis he's got the physical attributes to be a decent defender, but his first touch is generally poor and his distribution erratic to say the least. People talk of his crossing ability, and while he can deliver an absolute peach it always seems more luck than judgment, with his delivery equally likely to be scuffed against the first man or ballooned into touch as it is to actually do any damage. He's not lightning quick but he's by no means slow, is tall and decent in the air. He always looks to me like a centre half playing full back. Whenever I've seen him I've always wondered how he'd do at centre back. Probably a disaster but doesn't stop me wondering!

This