Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Transfer Story - Paul Hayes

Comments

• Options
    I confess I don't know too much about him .......but seems a Deon Burton type of player to me.
    At the very least, it means the ball will stick up front.

• Options
    Totally underwhelmed by this. I think if anyone had any doubts whether we are being bankrolled by some multi millionaire, the answer is in this signing. Great wind up by Cawley as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

It's not just about getting X, Y or Z in.

Powell will be looking at someone who will compliment BWP and also, what I expect to be almost an entirely new midfield.

Jigsaw puzzle an' all that.

Hayes' record suggests he can score goals and his assists record is v good.

• Options
    Totally underwhelmed by this. I think if anyone had any doubts whether we are being bankrolled by some multi millionaire, the answer is in this signing. Great wind up by Cawley as well.
    If Hayes proves to be a vital part of a team that gets promoted at the end of next season, then I'll be totally overwhelmed by this.
    "Proof of the pudding is in the eating", and all that.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Very good signing imo, he may not be the tallest but he is still good at holding the ball up like Burton did for us.
  • Options
    Sounds OK from what a few people above are saying...but I'd barely heard of him, so not exactly a household name/ someone well known...
  • Options
    If Hayes proves to be a vital part of a team that gets promoted at the end of next season, then I'll be totally overwhelmed by this.
    "Proof of the pudding is in the eating", and all that.

Agreed but don't you feel slightly deflated by this? When Cawley said "All I will add is that player is well known. Think it will be a good signing", I wasn't expecting a journeyman who we've been linked with before. Paul Hayes is not "well known" so forgive me for feeling totally underwhelmed.
  • Options
    Never heard of him - this can't be the big signing.
  • Options
    Well, Hayes did command a £400,000 fee as a 23 year old.

You're entitled to your opinion, Stop Shouting.

All I'm suggesting is that we wait and see how effective he can be?
  • Options
    Never heard of him - this can't be the big signing.
    On the assumption that the SLP said they were going to announce their "exclusive" today, I reckon it is mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Cawley is being a bit too harshly judged on here. We were linked with Hayes in the past few months and many clubs in League 1 would love a striker of his pedigree, so I can see how he is known and would be a good signing. I have my issues with some of the coverage that the SLP provide but the truth is that without it we'd be even more in the dark with events at the club.
  • Options
    Sounds OK from what a few people above are saying...but I'd barely heard of him, so not exactly a household name/ someone well known...
    He's a household name in my house!    

: - )
  • Options

If this signing comes off the club could well be pushing the boat out on this one. Possible transfer fee, signing on fee as he is still under contract, and I would imagine that even at Preston, he would have been on £3 - 5k per week (I think I read somewhere he was on £6k a week). Powell must rate him to still be pursuing him. He's proven in League 1 so could be an ideal foil for BWP with all his assists and then weighing with a few himself.

• Options
    Hang who do you expect us to be signing? We finished mid table in league one and we're signing a decent PROVED league one striker?
  • Options
    These assist stats. are they the same criteria that made the signing of Simon Francis look like we'd actually got Roberto Carlos.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Agree Crawley over egged it but it's the SLP and he's a journalist.

If he signs (I'll believe when I see it on CAFC twitter) he has a decent pedigree and as Essex Al say may not be coming cheap.   

He has been a key part of two teams getting promoted out of this division.  He knows what it takes, is still only 27 and that he is not 6' 5'' perhaps means we are going to try and play a bit of passing, hold the ball football.
  • Options
    So we've signed one of the best midfielders in this league, and everyone was underwhelmed, we could be signing a proven league 1 goal scorer, and the same underwhelmed souls trudge out. As I've said, unless we throw big money at the problem, people will moan. Significant investment doesn't just mean spending on headline transfer fees.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me, as long as we also get in a big strong target man type as an alternative.

It's not about getting 4 strikers in who can all score 20+, last season we missed exactly what Burton offered, a good touch and intelligence, plus his assists.

He's from Dagenham, so won't have problems settling, he's a good age hopefully coming up to his peak and he's played big part in getting teams promoted from this league before.

I don't see how this is proof we won't be spending money in the future either. If the owners want to get back the Prem, stay there and later sell the club for a profit they'll have to spend money. I think we'll see the club spend when a player is good value for money. You don't have to spend millions to get out of League 1.
  • Options
    What a miserable bunch some of you are.

It seems some of you would only be happy if we signed Torres or Tevez.
  • Options
    Torres or Tevez.
    Why "or"?

If we had real ambition we'd sign both.  Typical Charlton

: - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hang who do you expect us to be signing? We finished mid table in league one and we're signing a decent PROVED league one striker?
    You make a good point J Block. We're a mid table League one side, we're not going to be signing players of pedigree. I was hoping that Cawley's tweet suggested that had changed & that our new owners were gonna throw dough at getting us out of this joke league. My bad. Just looked at his stats too. Will look forward to Ooh Ah's comments on this.
  • Options
    So we've signed one of the best midfielders in this league, and everyone was underwhelmed, we could be signing a proven league 1 goal scorer, and the same underwhelmed souls trudge out. As I've said, unless we throw big money at the problem, people will moan. Significant investment doesn't just mean spending on headline transfer fees.
    Spot on Rothko, it's not about how much we spend on transfer fees for this division, it's about fitting the jigsaw together to create a team capable of battling their way out of it.
  • Options
    We know what Oooh Aaaagh! will say .......something like, "he's a pub team player in a pub team league."

;o)

• Options
    Agree Crawley over egged it but it's the SLP and he's a journalist.

If he signs (I'll believe when I see it on CAFC twitter) he has a decent pedigree and as Essex Al say may not be coming cheap.   

He has been a key part of two teams getting promoted out of this division.  He knows what it takes, is still only 27 and that he is not 6' 5'' perhaps means we are going to try and play a bit of passing, hold the ball football.
    Agreed. Still underwhelmed though. You could argue that the description of him above is similar to that of Grant Basey.
  • Options
    How much have the likes of Pererborough, Scunthorpe, Millwall etc spent and they've got out of this division. I bet Huddersfield's wage bill and squad cost was less than ours last season and they were top 2/3 all season.

It's quality, not quantity (of fee).
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    On first team signings so far SCP has bought BWP, the best striker in the league, Danny Hollands, a top midfielder in this league who got his team to the play-offs this year and is in the process of signing Paul Hayes, a striker who has scored the goals to get promoted out of this division twice.

May not be earth shattering signings in terms of names but seems to me that SCP is putting together a team that knows how to get promoted. Intrigued to hear who the CB's he is looking at will be.
  • Options

please remember though we are a league 1 club at present...we will only sign and attract league 1 players with that ability.

I for one am happy with this signing (if it goes through)

• Options
    I doubt derby will be interested now, they've got chris magiure from scotland coming in today but he seems a good buy im still hoping for a defender now..
  • Options
    Richard Cawley getting some abuse on Twitter now.

Amazing that some fans would have been excited had it been a 34 year old Jason Euell, or really believed it could have been someone like Andy Reid.
  • Options

Not sure what people expect really ? As long as they are better than what we have then its OK.

Id love to see Andy Reid back(and so would the Mitre in Greenwich) but there is zilch chance we can afford him. He doubled his wages when he left us.He is  one of the better paid players in the Chumps league so well out of our price range. If we do ill get a season ticket the day after.

Dave Martin i hope so and maybe we can afford him.