Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options

Enjoyed Ui immensely. Henry Goodman is remarkable, had a nice chat with him at the party afterwards too *clang* ;-)

Superb performance by Goodman when I saw it. Standing ovation was deafening.
  • Options
    I might go and see Arturo, it will be the third time as I still vividly remember seeing the Leonard Rossiter production twice (in 1969?) who also received standing ovations having shed sweat and tears ....clearly the role is well written and has a stunning connection with the audience.
  • Options
    Saw Peppa Pig Live at 11am this morning (?!) at the Criterion theatre in Piccadilly Circus. Entertaining enough and the 2 year old loved it. Worth it if you've got a youngun and want some wholesome entertainment!
  • Options

I might go and see Arturo, it will be the third time as I still vividly remember seeing the Leonard Rossiter production twice (in 1969?) who also received standing ovations having shed sweat and tears ....clearly the role is well written and has a stunning connection with the audience.

Last performance tonight, best hurry!
  • Options
    Went to see Curious Incident.. On Friday. Was fantastic.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I watched 'Let The Right One In' at the Royal Court Theatre last week with my 14yr old son, great show, really worth trying to get a ticket for at this great little theatre before it turns into a west end hit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The Duck House with Ben Miller is an excellent diversion , topical, funny and really well acted.
    All about the expenses scandal. Very highly recommended.

Glenn Tilbrook's new song about the expenses scandal is very good too!
  • Options
    Saw Emil and the Detectives last night at the National - good quality entertainment and a fun show. A very good one to bring kids along to (although not a pre-requisite and in no sense just a kids' show).
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Saw Emil and the Detectives last night at the National - good quality entertainment and a fun show. A very good one to bring kids along to (although not a pre-requisite and in no sense just a kids' show).

My 12 y.o. daughter (also an Addick) is one of the Detectives, though she wasn't in last night's show.
    We saw the preview and really enjoyed it and going again on Boxing Day. There's three ensembles of 50 (yes 50) kids rotating through the run, added to the 10 or so speaking kids and the adults.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good for her, Rananegra - what a great experience for your daughter ! I suppose they need a Champions League sized squad, with the kids having to get up for school the next day.

Chasing the bad man around the theatre generated a lot of excitement and the notes raining down generated pure, unalloyed joy for some little guys in front of us.
  • Options
    Went to see Nutcracker ENB on 4th jan. Thought it was good. But did notice a few mistakes/timing issues.

Went to see Once the musical on Friday at the Phoenix theatre. Brilliant. Everyone must go see it and go in early to see the on stage warm up about half hour before the start. Brilliant story set in Dublin, amusing throughout and emotional. Declan Bennett is the lead male and is fab.

Going to see Matilda on Wednesday and The Weir on the 22nd.
  • Options

Went to see Nutcracker ENB on 4th jan. Thought it was good. But did notice a few mistakes/timing issues.

Went to see Once the musical on Friday at the Phoenix theatre. Brilliant. Everyone must go see it and go in early to see the on stage warm up about half hour before the start. Brilliant story set in Dublin, amusing throughout and emotional. Declan Bennett is the lead male and is fab.

Blimers, suzi !!

Theatre vouchers from Santa ?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I've not read through the thread so apologies if this has already been posted but, I just got the brochure through from the Orchard. Highlights for me are Puccini's La Boheme and three Gilbert and Sullivan's; The Mikado, Iolanthe and the Pirates of Penzance.

La Boheme is directed by Ellen Kent, I saw one of her productions last year (La Traviata) and it was very good.
  • Options
    I

Blimers, suzi !!

Theatre vouchers from Santa ?

I bought nutcracker for Dec for Xmas, he bought Matilda and Once for me for Xmas and the Weir is his dads Xmas present from us. We're not drinking at the mo so need to find non alcohol related pastimes! (Although do go to the theatre once a month prob usually) been to cinema twice and a museum this month already too! Kulchur innit.
  • Options
    Good on you, suzi. At least theatres don't get flooded ....might just be an idea to wear a crash helmet.

Enjoy !
  • Options

I thought you'd enjoy that. Did Deccers go too? I'm going to see it on Saturday, reviews are v good. Looking forward to it and dinner at Axis after for my Birthday.
  • Options
    Yes he came and loved it ! (I dont think he'll be as enthusiastic for Matilda!) Enjoy Saturday and make sure you get in there 1/2 hour before curtain up! 'appy birthday for the other day too @stone !
  • Options
    I'm going to book Miss Saigon this week for the summer with the vouchers the boys got me yesterday. Starts in May at the Prince Edward.
  • Options
    Yes family outing planned for June for that one!! My ultimate favourite.

Oh porgy and bess on a regents park open air theatre in summer! I know you like that one. We went to sound of music in regents park open air theatre in summer. Brilliant and thankfully dry!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My missus bought tickets for her and my daughter for Maltilda for Xmas, they go 27th Feb, she got great tickets row c dead centre, my daughter wants to be , a drama teacher so will love it.
  • Options

Yes he came and loved it ! (I dont think he'll be as enthusiastic for Matilda!) Enjoy Saturday and make sure you get in there 1/2 hour before curtain up! 'appy birthday for the other day too @stone !

I hate musicals, but loved Matilda. So much so we're planning go and see it on Broadway when we visit New York later this year.

My folks went to see the new Jeeves and Wooster stage show recently and absolutely loved it.

• Options
    saw Matilda when it first came out so this is 2nd time. it is awesome! not just for kids. excited for tonight and keep singing 'when i grow up'
  • Options
    Matilda was awesome again as expected.

The Weir was also awesome - try to see it if you can - not sure how long it's on for. Brian Cox, Ardal O'Hanlan, Peter McDonald, Dervla Kiwan and some other fella. gripping and tense. O'Hanlan is rather Father Dougal-ish which I enjoyed even though he has a beer gut and a beard!

Going to see The Pass in February with Russell Tovey. Anyone seen it? it's at the Royal Court Theatre.
  • Options
    My mate is in Oh What a Lovely War at Stratford East from 1st of Feb, in case anyone fancies it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Saw Dreamboats and Petticoats today at the Churchill Theatre Bromley.

It doesn't pretend to be deep and meaningful in any way but if you like the music of the late fifties and early sixties it 's a very pleasant, enjoyable couple of hours.

It's touring the country so there are other opportunities if it appeals.
  • Options
    Saw King Lear at The National a week or so ago. Very good, although not quite the definitive version that people may have been hoping for with Simon Russell-Beale and Sam Mendes.
  • Options
    Just back from Fortunes Fool at the Old Vic. Very good
  • Options
    Off to Happy Days at the Young Vic on Monday.
  • Options
    Going to see 12 Angry Men at The Garrick this week.
    Looking forward to it and looks to have great cast.