Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Off to Happy Days at the Young Vic on Monday.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. We need some of Winnie's "pernicious optimism" in SE7 at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just got back from the Young Vic after seeing Happy Days by Samuel Beckett. Well that's one of the best ten quid's I've ever spent, I was completely into it all from the first moment. I would say it was nearly faultless.
    I know Samuel Beckett isn't everybody's thing. A play where a woman, Winnie, is buried up to her waist in sand for the first half, and up to her neck in the second. Doing a lot of talking, sometimes to her husband, Willie, who is down a hole in the ground nearby.
    However it was riveting for me, not least because I have just seen the best ever live performance by an actress so far. Juliet Stevenson was Winnie, and having previously top rated Vanessa Redgrave in both The Three sisters, and Orpheus Descending, followed by Imelda Staunton in Guys and Dolls, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren both as Cleopatra in different productions of Anthony and Cleopatra, and Joanna Whalley also the Three Sisters.
    Juliet Stevenson was astonishingly good, not in a 'look how I'm acting' kind of way, but simply brilliant in combining all the elements it takes (except walking about!) to just do it right right right. Complete and utter class, like that Dennis BergKamp goal at Newcastle.
    The play itself is brilliant, and Beckett is a genius, so taking on the part is always a brave decision for anybody (want to give it a try Ray Winston?), but Juliet Stevenson is faultless, every microsecond is accounted for.
    I am waiting for the definitive Ranyevskaya in a production of Checkhov's The Cherry Orchard in case I ever see a better live female acting performance.
    On the Setheaterometer I give it a 9, it would've been a 9.5 except my seat was round the side and a bit high up.
  • Options
    Saw From Here to Eternity. Surprisingly good
  • Options
    Just seen The Book of Mormon. Hilariously brilliant and worth every penny.
  • Options
    Took Mrs DA for romantic weekend in London (I didn't even make a fuss that we didn't manage to fit in the QPR game!) Went to see the Commitments and was absolutely blown away - songs were superb and delivery was excellent at 100 mph. Would recommend to anyone - even if, like me, you don't particularly like musicals!
  • Options
    Off to see the Commitments on Thursday evening. Really looking forward to it (provided wife recovered from a recent hospital op).
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Just seen The Book of Mormon. Hilariously brilliant and worth every penny.

This. Went last night, if you get the chance go and see this brilliant irreverent show. It will change the way you feel about musicals - just don't take your Gran unless she is very open minded.
  • Options
    Anyone interested in 2 tickets for Miss Saigon which comes back to the West End in May? I have 2 tickets in centre, 3rd row of the Grand Circle for Wednesday 7th May that I am willing to sell for face value of £59 total. I am flying on holiday the same day so need to sell. Pm me if interested.
  • Options
    Just been to see Other Desert Cities at the Old Vic this afternoon, was great and fab performances. Amazing what I can do when there is no Saturday afternoon football
  • Options

Off to see the Commitments on Thursday evening. Really looking forward to it (provided wife recovered from a recent hospital op).

How was the show? have tickets to see this in June.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    recently saw "Ir May Hurt A Bit" up here in Bolton while it is on it's provincial tour before a run in the West End.
    It stars Stephanie Cole and is a political drama/comedy about the current state of the NHS.
    The play is so true to the current plight of our health system and the Lass, who is a nurse, was in tears at the end as as I, a memorable evening.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I had a ticket for the Rocky musical in New York this week but I got dates confused and it clashed with a NY Red Bulls game. So I lost that money but I bought another ticket for All The Way starring Bryan Cranston(!). It's a political drama about President LBJ and his running for election while trying to pass the Civil Rights Act without upsetting too many states. Cranston was great, deadly serious at times but with some comedic relief.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy tickets to the Beatles musical for my mum's birthday, I should enjoy it as long as I'm not expected to dance. After that I think I'll make more of an effort to see smaller shows, there must be so many cool things going on in London as well.

Edit: Actually bollocks, the Beatles one is touring the country. Can anyone recommend a glitzy, feel-good alternative..? Wicked or Spamalot come to mind. Cheers.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I had a ticket for the Rocky musical in New York this week but I got dates confused and it clashed with a NY Red Bulls game. So I lost that money but I bought another ticket for All The Way starring Bryan Cranston(!). It's a political drama about President LBJ and his running for election while trying to pass the Civil Rights Act without upsetting too many states. Cranston was great, deadly serious at times but with some comedic relief.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy tickets to the Beatles musical for my mum's birthday, I should enjoy it as long as I'm not expected to dance. After that I think I'll make more of an effort to see smaller shows, there must be so many cool things going on in London as well.

Edit: Actually bollocks, the Beatles one is touring the country. Can anyone recommend a glitzy, feel-good alternative..? Wicked or Spamalot come to mind. Cheers.

Where Red? New York or London? Saw Jersey Boys on Broadway on Tuesday night, excellent. Saw Rock of Ages the night before, pony!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited April 2014
    Just caught up with this thread. I went to see Commitments while I was back in London earlier this month. I thought it was really good. Great music. It was like seeing a play and a concert all in one. The musical finale for the last 30 minutes or so was really good. Got all the audience up on their feet no problem.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Where Red? New York or London? Saw Jersey Boys on Broadway on Tuesday night, excellent. Saw Rock of Ages the night before, pony!
    London. That's cool, there are so many choices around Broadway. Avenue Q was also tempting when there.

• Options
    I went to see Avenue Q last night in Greenwich, was a lot of fun
  • Options
    Just been to see the Pajama Game - very very good 9/10
  • Options
    Last night of We Will Rock You on Saturday. Brian May and Roger Taylor playing with the band.
  • Options
    I ended up taking my mum to see Billy Elliot. It was alright, I guess the ballet is impressive if you like that sort of thing. It was something different and I enjoyed parts but it affirms that musicals aren't for me. It was also 3 hours long (including interval).

I saw 12 Angry Men this week, that was cool. Pretty much as you'd expect, a small theatre as well so even the cheap tickets have a good view. Next for me will be 1984 I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw 1984 on Thursday. Powerful adaptation but I thought the first 30 minutes or so was a tad embarrassing. The final hour though was very impressive. The set changes were incredible. Well worth a visit - 8/10.
  • Options
    This May Hurt a Bit at St James Theatre

super piece of political theatre that is having a special sale, if you make a booking before noon Saturday 14th June seat prices are reduced from £34 to £19.48, just quote "1948" when making the booking The play is on for another week and is about the growth and recent disintegration of the NHS, it is serious and funny at the same time.
  • Options
    Went to see Miss Saigon couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure about going but her indoors wanted to, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, really good night.
    Mind you, the Chinese at the won kei was worth going to on its own!!
  • Options
    The Pajama Game at Shaftesbury Theatre - very entertaining musical.
  • Options
    Just saw Skylight with Carey Mulligan and Bill Nighy. Very very good
  • Options
    For those of you with kids, Kids Week in the West End opened today at 10am.

Loads of theatre tickets on sale for between 1-31 August, child goes free with one full price paying adult, so effectively half price and you're looking at £35 each, rather than £70.
  • Options

Where is the best place to buy tickets?
    I'm trying to get lion king tickets for Xmas time.
    I looked on the official site and the prices there were astronomical!

You can't beat popping into the actual theatre the show is on at, if that's practical for you. No booking fees and they will help get you the best seats for your money.
  • Options

Went to see Miss Saigon couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure about going but her indoors wanted to, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, really good night.
    Mind you, the Chinese at the won kei was worth going to on its own!!

Going to this in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    Going to see Killing Roger at Greenwich Theatre tonight (yeah, miss Brazil/Mexico).