Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Stone said:

Went to see Miss Saigon couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure about going but her indoors wanted to, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, really good night.
    Mind you, the Chinese at the won kei was worth going to on its own!!

Going to this in a few weeks time.
    Going on Thursday. Bad planning by my dad but still excited!
  • Options
    Tickets for Fathers' Day to see The Commitments next Weds
  • Options
    Going to see nineteen eighty four tomorrow afternoon. Interested to see how it transfers to the stage.
  • Options
    Saw Killing Roger yesterday at Greenwich, a play that has been touring for about 18 months and it is pretty portable (only two nights at Greenwich). The main character, Roger, was a life sized puppet...if you've seen Warhorse you'll know how this kind of thing works...and it was about assisted dying/euthanasia, so not a huge bundle of laughs. It was about 70 minutes long without an interval and it was nicely done, not indulgent yet thought provoking.
    A decent effort and a 7 on the Setheaterometer.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Went to see Miss Saigon couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure about going but her indoors wanted to, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, really good night.
    Mind you, the Chinese at the won kei was worth going to on its own!!

Going to this in a few weeks time.
    Won kei or Miss Saigon?
    Either one you will enjoy!!!
  • Options

Tickets for Fathers' Day to see The Commitments next Weds

Absolutely fantastic, one of the best I have seen. The whole thing is brilliant!
    Have a great time and don't forget your dancing shoes!!
  • Options
    Saw 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' last night at the Gielgud Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue. Very good - a beguiling mix of humour and pathos and very impressive stage design and special effects. Recommended.
  • Options
    Just seen first half of Handbagged - sold out and rave reviews.
    ABSOLUTE CRAP
  • Options

Just seen first half of Handbagged - sold out and rave reviews.
    ABSOLUTE CRAP

I have bitter experience that rave reviews mean little. As in 'The Play Wot I Wrote' and 'One Man two Governors'.

• Options
    Went to see Wolf Hall and Bringing up Bodies, I had not read the books, thought it was really good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oooh haven't posted on here for a while.

Good People - saw in May - Imelda Staunton - brilliant
    Miss Saigon - saw in June - Loved it again!

Phantom of the Opera - went last night - have seen it before, but not since I was about 10 - still as brill as ever - only disappointment was the amount of people in the audience trying to take photos of themselves, and the production and making so much noise having conversations and some blokes phone going off playing 'superstition' at a critical quiet moment before the interval! what a numpty! (what is it about these poles that hold iphones and enable you to take pics of yourself from a distance? I'm happy to take pics of me and husband on holiday but with my phone on a metre long stick?)

Going to see Let it Be next Thursday.

Also buying tickets for Cats for me and the sister in law for the end of the year and also Sunny Afternoon (the Kinks musical) - anyone seen before it transfers to west end?

Got a free pass to go to see any ballet, theatre or opera with my mum between now and xmas (only stipulation is it can't really be something my dad wants to see as my mum doesn't want him to come along!) any suggestions? Made in Dagenham?
  • Options
    I saw 1984 last night. I didn’t like the idea that his diary was later found, it’s a short show for a big book and that wasted time and felt cheesy. Overall I was disappointed, it didn’t capture how bleak and brutal the book is.

As an aside, although I’m not a huge fan of the film, Reservoir Dogs would make a great play. I’m surprised no one’s done that, I suppose Tarantino would want tens of millions.
  • Options
    has anyone seen Book of Mormon and is it worth seeing?
  • Options

Really good, very cheeky and some good witty tunes. I thoroughly enjoyed it
  • Options

Really good, very cheeky and some good witty tunes. I thoroughly enjoyed it
    thanks
  • Options
    Took my daughter to see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory last night. Absolutely brilliant. Cant recommend it enough if you havent seen it, with kids or not!
  • Options
    Anyone been to see Porgy & Bess in Regents Park?
  • Options
    has anyone seen streetcar named desire with gillian anderson in?
  • Options
    Just watched the bodyguard last night with my other half, and I must say what a show it was. I must admit when she told me she's got two tickets to go and watch it I thought to myself this is going to be cack!. But it's brilliant never knew whitney had so many classics. Alexandra Burke plays her very well to
  • Options
    Recently saw "Great Britian" at the National Theatre which was one of the best plays I've seen in many a year. Also saw 1984 which was good, but not what I was expecting - I was hoping it was going to be as dark and claustrophobic as the novel, but that was always a long shot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

Went to see Wolf Hall and Bringing up Bodies, I had not read the books, thought it was really good

I agree with Kimbo. I stalled at about 150 pages into Wolf Hall but they were good productions and reasonably easy to follow.
  • Options
    Went to 39 Steps for the second time last night. Still excellent and has evolved a bit since the first time.
    Jeeves and Wooster similar and also superb.
  • Options
    Considering the great scope for humour offers by the creepy cult of Mormonism, the Book of Mormon is a wasted opportunity. It's slick and well performed as you expect from a West End production, especially at that price. But the humour is unremittingly juvenile and the storey line depressingly patronising about the Ugandan villagers visited by the Mormon missionaries. The whole thing seems like it was written by a bunch of 14 year old High School kids. Go and see two shows elsewhere for the price of that one.
  • Options
    Sevensix said:

Considering the great scope for humour offers by the creepy cult of Mormonism, the Book of Mormon is a wasted opportunity. It's slick and well performed as you expect from a West End production, especially at that price. But the humour is unremittingly juvenile and the storey line depressingly patronising about the Ugandan villagers visited by the Mormon missionaries. The whole thing seems like it was written by a bunch of 14 year old High School kids. Go and see two shows elsewhere for the price of that one.

It’s made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Much of their stuff is intelligent satire punctuated with fart jokes or similar, they’re not going to change a formula that’s won them fans all over the world and made them millionaires. I loved it, it’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

I’m seeing War Horse tomorrow. It’s been purchased on a whim but it’s cheap at late notice and everyone seems to love it.
  • Options
    HowzeeD said:

Recently saw "Great Britian" at the National Theatre which was one of the best plays I've seen in many a year. Also saw 1984 which was good, but not what I was expecting - I was hoping it was going to be as dark and claustrophobic as the novel, but that was always a long shot.

I saw a friend last night that saw 'Great Britain', she had a friend in it. I think it's moving to Haymarket but some of the cast won't be in it when it moves, including Billie Piper. She said it was awesome.

• Options
    having a good few weeks - just seen Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies (both excellently acted and great adaptations) and got A Streetcar Named Desire tomorrow.
    Great Britain sounds great, but can't do it all!
  • Options
    I am looking forward to sorting out tickets to yet another production of one of my favourite plays, the Cherry Orchard at the Young Vic.
    The Young Vic has had a good run for me in recent times, the Glass Menagerie, Three Sisters and an astonishing performance by Juliet Stevenson in Beckett's Happy Days. Recommended venue, affordable, high quality usually, and a handy 5 minute walk from Waterloo East.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I am looking forward to sorting out tickets to yet another production of one of my favourite plays, the Cherry Orchard at the Young Vic.

Got that in a month or so, agree great venue, saw an incredibly pared down version of A View From The Bridge early this year.
  • Options
    Saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last week at The Savoy Theatre. Robert Lindsay (Citizen Smith, My Family) starred, it was absolutely blinding. Its a comedy musical.
    We picked up discounted tickets from the ticket booths in Leicester Sq station, £29 each in the stalls, we were 3 rows from the front.
    Well worth a visit.
  • Options
    I went to see Annie Get your Gun at the Theatre Royal Brighton, the night before the 2-2 draw, with my wife and daughter. It was top notch. Jason Donavon & the fella, who is still alive, from hale & pace were in it. It is touring the country before hitting the west end. Look out for it, its really quite good.