Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone been to see Sunny Afternoon about The Kinks at the Harold Pinter theatre.
    If so, can you recommend it?

• Options
    Went to see Red Lion a play about football by Patrick Marber last Monday at the National.
    A three-hander with the set a changing room at a non league club at the level of Ebbsfleet or Welling or Bromley.
    Lots of things to like about the play, the standard of acting was very good, the set was near perfect. The play itself was well structured, and contemplated the current nature of football, I think it was loads better than some stuff I've seen, but there was one or two things that I thought were not so well thought through regarding the storyline.
    On the Setheratrometer I would give it a 7.
  • Options

Has anyone been to see Sunny Afternoon about The Kinks at the Harold Pinter theatre.

Yes. It is briliiant
  • Options
    I went to see Hamlet at the Barbican last Wednesday. It was so good, the costumes, the set, the actors especially Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • Options
    Took my 2 kids to see Matilda yesterday can't say I was overly impressed with it
  • Options
    I forgot to say that Elephant Man with Bradley Cooper was outstanding. V cleverly done.

Hoping to go to Sadlers Wells in November to see Rambert doing Love, Art & Rock and Roll including 'Rooster' which is set to the Music of Rolling Stones.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Went to see Red Lion a play about football by Patrick Marber last Monday at the National.
    A three-hander with the set a changing room at a non league club at the level of Ebbsfleet or Welling or Bromley.
    Lots of things to like about the play, the standard of acting was very good, the set was near perfect. The play itself was well structured, and contemplated the current nature of football, I think it was loads better than some stuff I've seen, but there was one or two things that I thought were not so well thought through regarding the storyline.

I also saw this last week and agree with Seth's assessment. It was enjoyable, although few points were rather over-emphasised and made in a clunky manner, perhaps because the director was aware that not all the audience would be football fans.

I saw Russell Brand on the way back in after the interval but resisted the temptation to ask him why we were all paying for the Happy Hammers' new home. The Olympic Stadium saga may end up providing good material for a Brian Rix style farce at a future date. Maybe CL could put on a production, populated with Lifers, with PA and Steve Clarke playing themselves obviously. Not sure we've got anyone who resembles Sullivan, though.
  • Options
    We went to see 'The Motherf**ker with the Hat' last night at the National and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Set in contemporary New York, it revolves around the themes of addiction, infidelity and love. Three of the five cast are American, supported by an exchange programme between UK and American Equity, including (I realised afterwards) the guy who played Carlos, Gabrielle's husband in Desperate Housewives. The acting and the script were both very strong and the stage set was exceptional. I had no idea what to expect with this one but found the play a beguiling mixture of pathos and humour. Recommended.
  • Options
    In June I saw Avenue Q in Dartford. It was funny and had some great moments but I expected it to be a little more offensive.

I also saw Franz Kafka's The Trial at the Young Vic. The audience surrounded the stage 360, and the stage itself was a conveyor belt so the environment kept changing. It is a good play but a bit pretentious for me, a little probably went over my head.
  • Options

Yeah as Kimbo said it is a really good show and a great night out. Lovely little theatre as well.

Also went to see "Dusty" at the Charing Cross theatre last Friday night, another really great show (imo) Quite spooky how Dusty appears on stage by 3d and holograms.........almost bloody ghost like!
    Excellent show though, some really great songs.....ahh they don't make em like that anymore!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:

seth plum said:

I also saw this last week and agree with Seth's assessment. It was enjoyable, although few points were rather over-emphasised and made in a clunky manner, perhaps because the director was aware that not all the audience would be football fans.

I saw Russell Brand on the way back in after the interval but resisted the temptation to ask him why we were all paying for the Happy Hammers' new home. The Olympic Stadium saga may end up providing good material for a Brian Rix style farce at a future date. Maybe CL could put on a production, populated with Lifers, with PA and Steve Clarke playing themselves obviously. Not sure we've got anyone who resembles Sullivan, though.
    I could play Karren Brady's Gran ....

• Options

Yeah as Kimbo said it is a really good show and a great night out. Lovely little theatre as well.

Also went to see "Dusty" at the Charing Cross theatre last Friday night, another really great show (imo) Quite spooky how Dusty appears on stage by 3d and holograms.........almost bloody ghost like!
    Excellent show though, some really great songs.....ahh they don't make em like that anymore!
    Cheers, might take in The Jam exhibition at Somerset House at the same time.
  • Options

Blucher said:

seth plum said:

I could play Karren Brady's Gran ....

Come on, Fanny - surely her better looking sister...
  • Options
    Three Days In the Country - Patrick Marber's adaptation of a Russian play about a handsome young tutor who turns up one summer in a mid-19th century country estate and gives a number of the ladies the hots. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but really enjoyed it. The cast included John Simm (from Life On Mars) and the very funny Mark Gatiss.

Jane Eyre - this was originally shown separately in two parts at the Bristol Old Vic but it has been shortened into a single show at the National of 3 hours 15 minutes, including the interval (not that it ever felt too long). A very good and entertaining production.
  • Options
    Farinelli and the King ...brilliant. Mark Rylance at the top of his game again (as he was in Jerusalem)
  • Options
    Saw WarHorse the other day.

GO SEE IT BEFORE IT ENDS ITS RUN NEXT YEAR!
  • Options
    Went to see Our Country's Good at the National very good story of people sent to Australia worth seeing
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Went to see Our Country's Good at the National very good story of people sent to Australia worth seeing

Agreed - very good
  • Options
    Not sure how. But last night managed to get tickets for Funny Girl at the Chocolate Factory and went this afternoon. Was BRILLIANT. Sheridan Smith is fantastic. So lucky
  • Options
    Went to see the Christmas Spectacular at the Radio City Music Hall recently. It was about Christmas, and yes it was spectacular, and it included three live camels and a flock of sheep.
    I was more impressed by Les Miserables which I saw in a packed Saturday matinee, also in New York. I had seen it years ago in London, but this production led by Alfie Boe was most affecting, with a much much better landlord character.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just catching up... agreed to see 'Cats; only to see Beverley Knight again after her outstanding performance in Memphis. Wrong!
    What a load of old tosh. Nearly walked out at the interval but thought the second half couldn't be as bad. Wrong again.
  • Options
    Without doubt Nell Gwynn has been my favourite this year. Also enjoyed The Red Lion, Hangmen, To Kill a Mockingbird and Farrinelli and the King.

American Buffalo was a struggle though.
  • Options
    Saw 'Lucky Girl' at the Menier Chocolate Factory and really enjoyed it. It's not the greatest musical and doesn't have that many well known songs, save perhaps for 'Don't Rain On My Parade' and 'People' (although the latter always brings to mind Shirley Bassey's quivering lips). Perhaps why it hasn't been performed in London for 50 years. However, although she doesn't have the most powerful voice, Sheridan Smith's charm, humour and charisma carry the production through and her pulling power sold the show out at the Menier, as well as securing a transfer to the Savoy Theatre in April.
  • Options
    'Lucky....or ....Funny'
  • Options
    Wicked was good. Only just got round to seeing it. No memorable songs mind
  • Options
    Saw jersey boys a few weeks ago, superb show
  • Options

'Lucky....or ....Funny'

Doh ! In mitigation, it's a whole 24 hours since I seen it - I can't be expected to remember that level of detail...
  • Options
    Stone said:

Just catching up... agreed to see 'Cats; only to see Beverley Knight again after her outstanding performance in Memphis. Wrong!
    What a load of old tosh. Nearly walked out at the interval but thought the second half couldn't be as bad. Wrong again.

Saw it when it first opened with a fantastic cast, hated it. Thought I was the only one.
  • Options
    We were looking for something to do on New Years eve and thought we'd catch a show before the fireworks. So i done a quick search and saw that Judi Dench was appearing in A Winters Tale. Being an uneducated secondary school bod, I didn't even realise it was bloody Shakespeare until the week before.
    Anyway, braced myself, read the synopsis before hand and made a conscious effort to try and follow it. You know what? I actually enjoyed it, maybe partly due to my low expectations? Kenneth Branagh was outstanding, as of course was Judi Dench.
    Next stop, Sunny Afternoon in a couple of weeks time.
  • Options
    Stone said:

We were looking for something to do on New Years eve and thought we'd catch a show before the fireworks. So i done a quick search and saw that Judi Dench was appearing in A Winters Tale. Being an uneducated secondary school bod, I didn't even realise it was bloody Shakespeare until the week before.
    Anyway, braced myself, read the synopsis before hand and made a conscious effort to try and follow it. You know what? I actually enjoyed it, maybe partly due to my low expectations? Kenneth Branagh was outstanding, as of course was Judi Dench.
    Next stop, Sunny Afternoon in a couple of weeks time.

Really enjoyed Sunny Afternoon.