Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Saw the Simon and Garfunkel Story at the Churchill Bromley last night. If you like the music of Simon and Garfunkel well worth watching if you can catch them on their National Tour.

Completely exceeded expectations as far as I was concerned.

Bugger, meant to get tickets for that but forgot. Will try and catch it elsewhere.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Saw the Simon and Garfunkel Story at the Churchill Bromley last night. If you like the music of Simon and Garfunkel well worth watching if you can catch them on their National Tour.

Bugger, meant to get tickets for that but forgot. Will try and catch it elsewhere.
    They are at Hever Castle in August....

http://www.thesimonandgarfunkelstory.com/tour-dates/
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

They are at Hever Castle in August....

http://www.thesimonandgarfunkelstory.com/tour-dates/
    Cheers, we go away the day before but they're at the Stag in Sevenoaks in October so will try and catch them there.
  • Options
    Just back from seeing Showboat, was fabulous a proper musical. I am amazed that this is not playing to huge crowds in the west end, especially when you see the substandard stuff currently playing
  • Options
    Last Thursday went to see Guys and Dolls starting Rebel Wilson. She's hilarious.
    Not seen any films she's been in except a cameo in bridesmaids. Mates from work wanted to go and did enjoy it even if it's not my favourite musical. The fella singing 'sit down you're rocking the boat' stole the show. Would sit through that number time and time again.

Just on way home from seeing breakfast at tiffany's at theatre Royal hay market with pixie Lott. Spent most of the time working out if it was actually her as I've met her in real life and i am having problems computing that she can act and has such an amazing voice! Really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    I recently saw The Play that Goes wrong at The Duchess....very, very funny indeed. Looking forward to seeing the sister play Comedy about a Bank Robbery at the Criterion.
  • Options
    Book of Mormon, really didn't like, very disappointing!
  • Options
    I'm going to see 1984 tonight. I presume the main cast will be RD/KM and TK.
  • Options
    A shout out for 'The Truth' at the Wyndham, Charing X road. Very funny if you like quality verbal (not slapstick) farce

Review here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/mar/20/the-truth-florian-zeller-menier-observer-review

Only on for another month. Classic example of something transferring from fringe to W. End and they bit off more than they could chew. Net result is that tickets in good supply, might even be lucky via the half-price booths (do they still exist?)
  • Options

A shout out for 'The Truth' at the Wyndham, Charing X road. Very funny if you like quality verbal (not slapstick) farce

Review here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/mar/20/the-truth-florian-zeller-menier-observer-review

Only on for another month. Classic example of something transferring from fringe to W. End and they bit off more than they could chew. Net result is that tickets in good supply, might even be lucky via the half-price booths (do they still exist?)

Agree. And if you are members of audience club - cheap tickets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing showboat for second time next week. Brilliant. Catch it when you can
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Review here:

Agree. And if you are members of audience club - cheap tickets
    Sssshhh..we're not supposed to tell everyone!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Buddy Holly story currently touring nationally. It's a must!! Saw it in the West End in the early 90s and have followed it ever since when it's been on the road. Such a major influence on modern popular music. I note that it's in Dartford in October.

http://www.buddythemusical.com

Also saw 'Beyond the Barricade' in Norwich the other night. Again, well worth a look if you like West End musicals. Cast of only 4 who have all played main characters in the West End. They cover all the main shows with the main songs and are excellent, culminating in a Les Mis finale!!

Going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in Regents Park Theatre Saturday week.

Still holding out for 'Depeche Mode The Musical'!
  • Options
    Latimer said:

I recently saw The Play that Goes wrong at The Duchess....very, very funny indeed. Looking forward to seeing the sister play Comedy about a Bank Robbery at the Criterion.

Agreed, saw this last Saturday - fantastic!
  • Options

Buddy Holly story currently touring nationally. It's a must!! Saw it in the West End in the early 90s and have followed it ever since when it's been on the road. Such a major influence on modern popular music. I note that it's in Dartford in October.

http://www.buddythemusical.com

Also saw 'Beyond the Barricade' in Norwich the other night. Again, well worth a look if you like West End musicals. Cast of only 4 who have all played main characters in the West End. They cover all the main shows with the main songs and are excellent, culminating in a Les Mis finale!!

Going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in Regents Park Theatre Saturday week.

Still holding out for 'Depeche Mode The Musical'!

Buddy is superb. I've seen it about three times
  • Options
    David Bowies show Lazarus is coming to the UK in October.

He really wanted to put his everything in to this show and tickets are on sale now. I'll be going for sure!

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/lazarus-london-sale-now-56001
  • Options
    Saw the 'Young Chekhov' trilogy last month at the National (with the first performance starting at 11.45 am !).

I liked the first and the third plays but found the middle one, 'Ivanov', a bit too depressing. Overall, I'm glad we did it but probably won't be rushing to repeat the experience, given my waning powers of concentration and propensity to fidget. Sitting too long is probably not great for the old coccyx/tailbone, even in comfortable seats.

On a different note, I see that James Graham's play, 'This House', is set for a three month stint at the Garrick Theatre from mid-November. It's set in the House of Commons from 1974, when Labour had a wafer thin majority, and looks at the political machinations and incessant in-fighting in the House, together with the hugely demanding role of the respective party whips. I saw an absolutely cracking performance of this in 2012 and, whilst the cast will inevitably have changed, if the latest production is anywhere near as good, it will be well worth seeing - recommended.
  • Options
    'The Deep Blue Sea' at the National

The subject matter is a doomed affair shortly after the end of the Second World War, although Terrence Rattigan's play also touches upon the sense of dislocation as servicemen (a quarter of the adult population) tried to return to 'normality'.

Very good, with a stand out performance from Helen McCrory.
  • Options
    The Play that Goes wrong at The Duchess, saw this on saturday, very funny, if you like comedy with plenty of slapstick then go see it.
  • Options
    Went to see 'Beautiful' at the Aldwych last week, absolutely loved it!
    Really didn't know she had written SO many great songs, not only for herself but for other greats.
    Really recommend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Play that goes wrong - excellent

First time I have ever been crying with laughter at a theatre. The mayhem with the set design is hilarious.
  • Options
    Play that goes wrong is indeed brilliant. I've seen their other two shows (Peter Pan Goes Wrong and Comedy About A Bank Robbery) and they didn't quite hit the heights of the original. Still funny though, a talented bunch and a good backstory as well.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Play that goes wrong is indeed brilliant. I've seen their other two shows (Peter Pan Goes Wrong and Comedy About A Bank Robbery) and they didn't quite hit the heights of the original. Still funny though, a talented bunch and a good backstory as well.

hoping to see the other two over the coming weeks.
  • Options

DA9 said:

Saw jersey boys a few weeks ago, superb show

As somebody else has mentioned, the Motown one is one I want to see also. Has anybody seen it yet ?
    Late to the party on this. Saw The Motown Musical and wasn't overly impressed. Granted there were a couple of good performances but they've really glossed the Gordy/Ross part and they skip through songs. IMO seeing Dream girls covers the story and for the music, there are often Motown tribute shows going round which are as good as musically. Will also add I'm a massive Motown fan.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Saw Peter Pan Goes Wrong last night. Very amusing and did make me laugh in parts but, as you state, not up to the heights of the original.

Will go to the Bank Robbery show before it finishes.
  • Options
    Saw The Libertine last week starring Thomas Tallis' very own Dominic Cooper. Very enjoyable play. Great performances from all the cast and had quite a few laughs throughout.

A tip if you're going, we got £10 tickets but were in the 6th row. Not sure how it happened, can only assume it hadn't sold out so they moved our seats forward.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Lazarus ... wonderful set design and acting. Worth going solely for the appreciation of Bowie's music. The two-song section of Life on Mars and All the Young Dudes was incredible.

Music in the bar beforehand was also excellent.
  • Options
    Oops forgot to add to this thread. It I went to see Matilda a couple of weekends ago for about the 5th time. Still amazing.

Last Thursday went to see Lazarus and thought it was superb! Fully expected the bonkers plot but the music and singing was outstanding. Found out today 'girl' is 15. Wow. Someone fell ill midway through so we had an unplanned interval. Also be prepared on windy nights to feel like the theatre is going to collapse and don't be alarmed by the sirens going past. You're in a tent.
  • Options

Oops forgot to add to this thread. It I went to see Matilda a couple of weekends ago for about the 5th time. Still amazing.

Last Thursday went to see Lazarus and thought it was superb! Fully expected the bonkers plot but the music and singing was outstanding. Found out today 'girl' is 15. Wow. Someone fell ill midway through so we had an unplanned interval. Also be prepared on windy nights to feel like the theatre is going to collapse and don't be alarmed by the sirens going past. You're in a tent.

Yup, she is incredible for her age. A definite star of the future.
  • Options
    Somehow I've never seen The Play That Goes Wrong.

Seeing it next month - can't wait.