Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Stone said:

Just catching up... agreed to see 'Cats; only to see Beverley Knight again after her outstanding performance in Memphis. Wrong!
    What a load of old tosh. Nearly walked out at the interval but thought the second half couldn't be as bad. Wrong again.

Beverly Knight in Memphis was absolutely unreal.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Saw jersey boys a few weeks ago, superb show

Saw JB's last night, not for the first time, and left thinking it wasn't the best performance I'd seen. But Frankie Valli reminded me of our old player Richard Wilson, Bob Gaudio was Peter Beagrie, Tommy De Vito was Bob Bolder and Nick Massi was Steve McManaman jerseyboyslondon.com/cast.asp
  • Options
    Went to Bromley to see Blood Brothers tonight. Lyn Paul in the lead role, she sings very well still.
    Last saw this show half a lifetime ago, and this evening reminded me what a strong piece of theatre this is. I thought it was very well played, honest and affecting. A half full auditorium, mainly secondary school kids, added to the event because of how gripped they were, and for their reaction. No phones in evidence.
    It was very loud, every performer amplified (actors used to rely only on their vocal skills).
    No weak cast members, a well paced show, well lit and a decent set, one of the backdrops put me in mind of the facade of the old Miller Hospital Greenwich.

Anyway a 7.5 on the Setheatreometer.
  • Options
    The Globe is open for booking for the summer, Taming of the Shrew, MIdsummer Nights Dream. It is a great experience with the BEST plays. £6 to stand upwards to £45 sit the restricted view tickets are good value.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Went to Bromley to see Blood Brothers tonight. Lyn Paul in the lead role, she sings very well still.
    Last saw this show half a lifetime ago, and this evening reminded me what a strong piece of theatre this is. I thought it was very well played, honest and affecting. A half full auditorium, mainly secondary school kids, added to the event because of how gripped they were, and for their reaction. No phones in evidence.
    It was very loud, every performer amplified (actors used to rely only on their vocal skills).
    No weak cast members, a well paced show, well lit and a decent set, one of the backdrops put me in mind of the facade of the old Miller Hospital Greenwich.

@seth plum Who played the narrator mate?
    seth plum said:

@seth plum

Who played the narrator mate?
  • Options

seth plum said:

@seth plum Who played the narrator mate?
    seth plum said:

@seth plum

Who played the narrator mate?
    The narrator was good, strong singing voice too, woven in and out of the piece. I never buy a programme at the theatre (you get them free in America, called playbills) so I don't know who played the narrator. I looked up the cast on the internet to find it was Lyn Paul in the mother role.
    Have you played the narrator in your time?
  • Options

Kristofer Harding is apparently the narrator.
  • Options
    I saw a matinee of 'Hangmen' at the Wyndham Theatre, having got some half price tickets via the Theatre Monkey website - http://www.theatremonkey.com/CURRENTSPECIALOFFERS.htm

Harry Wade (David Morrisey) was the 'second-best' hangman in England, after the country's most famous and prolific executioner, Albert Pierrepoint. Following the abolition of hanging for murder in 1965, Harry embarks on a new career as a publican (much like many ex-footballers) and most of the play is set in his small, dour pub in Oldham, where he holds court as something of a local celebrity.

This is a really fine, edgy black comedy, which is infused with an underlying sense of menace throughout. The performances are excellent and the set design and dialogue certainly evoke the atmosphere of the 1960s. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.
  • Options
    I'm sure it's been discussed over the 16 pages but to save me re-reading is Lion King really worth £70 a ticket. My son is desperate to go but prices seem extortionate!
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I'm sure it's been discussed over the 16 pages but to save me re-reading is Lion King really worth £70 a ticket. My son is desperate to go but prices seem extortionate!

Yes, it's excellent. Didn't realise it was that much though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just want to add another recommendation for Sunny Afternoon.
    Great fun, great story and, well, you can't fail with that back catalogue to choose from
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I thought it was clever but overrated
  • Options
    I saw Shane Ritchie in Dick Whittington over Christmas - really entertaining :-)
  • Options

Great fun, great story and, well, you can't fail with that back catalogue to choose from

and another here. Went last Wednesday. Even her-indoors was up and dancing at the end and she 'wasn't too bothered' about going.

Motown the Musical next up.
  • Options
    Off to see Pinter's birthday party tomorrow night. Should be a good one
  • Options
    A shout out for the Bard.

Not many of us can provide the livelihood for thousands 400 years after we die.
  • Options
    Never ever see Bad Jews, no matter how cheap it is! (ironic)
  • Options
    How is Cats still in existence.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MrOneLung said:

How is Cats still in existence.

I think it's just come back, it's like your pet cat, what goes away for a few days and returns when your neighbour isn't feeding it anymore.
  • Options
    Saw The Painkiller (at The Garrick) this week. A down on his luck photographer (Rob Brydon) checks into a hotel room and considers suicide. A hit man in the room next door (Ken Branagh) tries to keep him from creating a scene before he can shoot his target out the window.

Way more slapstick than I expected, but it was great innocent fun and I loved the cast. Branagh's slapstick was hilarious, I really like the guy.

Only 90 mins long with no interval which was a perfect running time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And another. Saw it a few weeks back.
  • Options
    PWR all the thread, but I would thoroughly recommend 'The Play that Goes Wrong' at The Duchess Theatre. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. From beginning to end it was hysterical.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Saw this last summer and thought it was disappointing, perhaps I was expecting too much after having seen the film

Saw Hand of God a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a load of bollox though clearly there were others in the theatre that felt otherwise

Saw Beautiful and will go back and see it again. Non stop trip down memory lane with song after song after song. Amazingly prolific songwriters.

As somebody else has mentioned, the Motown one is one I want to see also. Has anybody seen it yet ?
  • Options

DA9 said:

Saw this last summer and thought it was disappointing, perhaps I was expecting too much after having seen the film

Saw Hand of God a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a load of bollox though clearly there were others in the theatre that felt otherwise

Saw Beautiful and will go back and see it again. Non stop trip down memory lane with song after song after song. Amazingly prolific songwriters.

As somebody else has mentioned, the Motown one is one I want to see also. Has anybody seen it yet ?
    The show is miles better than the film! I would say it's the other way round from what you said.
  • Options
    We saw Wicked last night.

Enjoyable enough and always good to go to the theatre but youngster rather than Old Git market in my view.

That said it's run for 9 years and counting so must be doing something right!
  • Options

Going to see Billy Elliot tomorrow for the 5th time but with people who haven't been before. Commitments next Tuesday! will let you know how it is @kimbo

I can't believe after years of wishing for it to happen, that Miss Saigon is coming back to London! can't blimmin wait for that! Favourite ever.

WSS also going to be on in Bromley in March time.

Will he be doing the sofa trick? :smiley:
  • Options
    Went to the Stag Theatre in Sevenoaks last week and saw the Petts Wood Operatic Society do Guys and Dolls. pretty good, and the Miss Adelaide was especially good. A 7 on the Setheatreometer.
  • Options
    Saw the Simon and Garfunkel Story at the Churchill Bromley last night. If you like the music of Simon and Garfunkel well worth watching if you can catch them on their National Tour.

Completely exceeded expectations as far as I was concerned.
  • Options
    Some of the Churchill touring productions can be surprisingly good, it is actually a pretty good theatre in my view.