Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options

I was contemplating taking my 17 year-old daughter to see Mamma-Mia - good idea?

yes, its a good feel-good show
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Just been to see Miss Saigon. Liked it didn't love it.

Same here. Often the case when a show gets great reviews.
  • Options
    Saw "Cats" on Tuesday night at the Palladium.

Unexpectedly really enjoyed it. Not seen one of the Lord's musicals before and was pleasantly surprised by how the music, in particular, was not as predictable as I thought it would be.

Great set, lights and cast, although I found Scherzinger way too loud in her solos.

Overall i'd recommend it, although some would struggle with the lack of plot and the cheap seats we had (£25 on Amazon Local) were dreadful in terms of leg room.

• Options
    Another big thumbs up for Beverley Knight in Memphis.
    Fantastic performance and deserved standing ovation at the end.
  • Options
    Just back fro Othello t the Lyric Hammermith.

http://www.lyric.co.uk/whats-on/production/frantic-assemblys-othello/

I thought it was really good. Great physicality, great set too, modern setting, good acting, especially Iago. it was well cut and was 1hr 40 mins straight through without an interval, but it didn't drag at all. Shakespeare isn't to everybody's taste, but he knew what he was doing that's for sure.
    A clear 8 on the Setheatreometer.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I thought it was really good. Great physicality, great set too, modern setting, good acting, especially Iago. it was well cut and was 1hr 40 mins straight through without an interval, but it didn't drag at all. Shakespeare isn't to everybody's taste, but he knew what he was doing that's for sure.

Saw it last Wednesday.

Agree with all you say about the set/physicality. I would disagree that the acting was good. Iago and Roderigo were good I will admit, but I wasn't particularly inspired by Othello's or Desdamona's. Still, very good production. What they did with the walls on the stage was simply superb!

Also, I found the Yorkshire accents allowed the text to be more accessible? Would you agree?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Just been to see Miss Saigon. Liked it didn't love it.

Yes, agreed. Some very good performances though.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Saw it last Wednesday.

Agree with all you say about the set/physicality. I would disagree that the acting was good. Iago and Roderigo were good I will admit, but I wasn't particularly inspired by Othello's or Desdamona's. Still, very good production. What they did with the walls on the stage was simply superb!

Also, I found the Yorkshire accents allowed the text to be more accessible? Would you agree?
    Do you think it was Yorkshire? I was thinking sort of Preston, Bolton or something. I do agree about Othello and Desdemona not first rate, but I have seen a lot worse. Still it was accessible, and the music was powerful and effective too, and I did feel involved in hating the duplicity and two-facedness of Iago. I liked the interpretation, especially how the female characters were linked. I have seen worse, and am likely to get to the Globe for another Othello in March.
  • Options
    Yes pretty sure it was. It was set during the West Yorkshire race riots of 2001.

Agree with what else you say though!
  • Options
    Just been to see Memphis. Fantastic. Have special offer on for Monday night and then got upgraded to row K. Should be sell out every night. Up for 15 theatre awards and not surprised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just been to see Beautiful. The Carole King Musical was great. Brilliant songs and cast
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Just been to see Beautiful. The Carole King Musical was great. Brilliant songs and cast

I went to Sunday Night at The Palladium on the weekend and part of the show was a couple of songs from the Carole King musical. looks well worth seeing the whole thing.

Indecently the whole palladium show was fantastic. Westlife, Rebecca Ferguson , Deacon Blue , Jimmy Carr etc Especially as the tickets were free.

Apply here and for other shows.

http://www.sroaudiences.com/shows.asp
  • Options

kimbo said:

I went to Sunday Night at The Palladium on the weekend and part of the show was a couple of songs from the Carole King musical. looks well worth seeing the whole thing.

Indecently the whole palladium show was fantastic. Westlife, Rebecca Ferguson , Deacon Blue , Jimmy Carr etc Especially as the tickets were free.

Apply here and for other shows.

http://www.sroaudiences.com/shows.asp
    Went the week before and saw Madness, Olly Murrs, Alfie Boe, Jo Brand, Billy Elliott cast and Bradley Walsh.
  • Options
    I can get £85, top price stalls tickets for the sensational Book of Mormon in London for £60 if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Just saw "I'll turco in Italia" at the royal opera house. Absolutely amazing. No way I'd have gone without dirt price tickets, but want to go again. Any opera fans here?
  • Options
    Saw American Buffalo last night, starring Damian Lewis and John Goodman. Whilst the story left a little to be desired, there was some amusing snappy, dialogue and it was great seeing the two interact. It was also cool seeing Goodman getting angry – that brought back memories of The Big Lebowski.
  • Options
    Last thing I saw was Assassins a couple of months ago at the Chocolate Menier Factory. Starred Aaron Tveit and Catherine Tate. Quite a cool venue, think it could only hold about 150 people and all the action was in the middle of the room.
  • Options
    I saw 'Gypsy' last night at the Savoy Theatre, the musical loosely based on the memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, the famous stripper. However, it's really all about her manic, show business obsessed mother, Rose.

An excellent musical, with loads of great songs and a bravura performance from Imelda Staunton - she can really belt them out. Recommended.
  • Options
    Oh good! Taking my mum in June!
  • Options
    Great - I'm sure you'll both really enjoy it, Suzi. We could do with Imelda Staunton's bellowing power in the North Upper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We saw 'A Mad World My Masters' last week at the Barbican. It's a bawdy Thomas Middleton restoration comedy, updated to 1950s Soho, and a production by English Touring Theatre and the RSC.

It got positive reviews but I thought it was bloody awful ! There was only one mildly amusing moment in the entire show which, at over two hours, is not good. Avoid.
  • Options
    'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers'

We saw this on Monday at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre and it was tremendous - excellent song and dance routines and it's a musical transfused throughout with a great sense of joie de vivre. Based on the (also excellent) 1954 film starring Howard Keel and Jane Powell, it is a tad (ahem) misogynistic but gets away with it because the tough and resourceful young wife is the brains of the operation, whipping her husband and his hairy, backwoodsman brothers into shape. Regent's Park is also good venue (unless it rains), as you can have a picnic in the park and then bring your own drink into the theatre. Strongly recommended - https://openairtheatre.com/production/seven-brides-for-seven-brothers

The Beaux' Stratagem

We saw this last month at the National. It's a Restoration comedy about two dissolute young guys who have frittered all their money away in London and got into serious debt. They therefore travel to the provinces, posing as master and servant, with the objective of 'marrying well.' The last Restoration comedy I saw was hopeless but this was a thoroughly entertaining evening out. It is also part of the Travelex scheme, so there are bargain £15 tickets to be had. http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/the-beaux-stratagem

As an aside, an hour or two before seeing the play, we went to a Q & A with the director, Simon Godwin, which was both entertaining and extremely insightful. I've been to a few of these 'Platforms' (as they're called) and they are exceptional value at £4.
  • Options
    A few lifers will be going to see 'The Red Lion' at the National on the 10th. Will report back.
  • Options
    Seeing High Society tomorrow at the Old Vic and seeing Elephant Man on Saturday.

Saw sound of music before at regents open air tiratre and really enjoyed the experience. Picnic etc not sure how enjoyable it'd be in the rain.

Can't believe they continue in the rain!
  • Options
    My wife saw the Sound of Music last summer and it absolutely sheeted down - they just stopped half way through the act, swept as much water off the stage as they could and carried on !
  • Options
    Blucher said:

My wife saw the Sound of Music last summer and it absolutely sheeted down - they just stopped half way through the act, swept as much water off the stage as they could and carried on !

Singing in the rain?
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

I can get £85, top price stalls tickets for the sensational Book of Mormon in London for £60 if anyone is interested.

Can you still get these? Would be massively interested!
  • Options
    Oh my word loved high society! Loved the old Vic, first time there so not sure of the usual layout but the setting for high society was amazing. Talented people.
  • Options

Oh my word loved high society! Loved the old Vic, first time there so not sure of the usual layout but the setting for high society was amazing. Talented people.

Glad you enjoyed it, Who wants to be a Millionaire and all. The film it is based on was a bit revolutionary at the time it came out as it shows the black entertainers going in through the front door of the posh house. I'm not sure it is my kind of thing though. The Old Vic is indeed a very old theatre and not the easiest of places to do modern things.
  • Options
    The stage show of Tommy is on at The Greenwich Theatre until 23rd August. Unfortunately my wife has zero interest in going.