Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Rankings

If anymore proof were needed as to the incompetence of the football global governing body then here it is: England are now ranked 4th in the world!

Comments

• Its a joke how a team who consistently doesnt get past QF stage (if we qualify) can be up to 4th.

Argies are 10th, they would destroy us.

• We haven't won any of the last 4 home matches!
  • How dare they. We invented the bloody game (along with the chinese of course). I demand they put us at No1 immediately.
  • Complete joke, apparently we are better than Brazil, Argentina, France and Portugal, yet we can't even beat Switzerland?
  • it makes absolutely no sense. brazil scored -276 points, yet their last 2 games they beat romania 1-0 and drew 0-0 with Holland....who are ranked 2nd. We drew at home against Switzerland and scored -17 points, so go above them.
  • FIFA =  completely discredited organisation.

I almost tempted to think that they imagine giving us such an undeserved ranking (and therefore seeding) is a poorly veiled attempt to get us back onside after recent events.

Even the most blinkered of England fans must realise this is a joke.

• Classic, are San Marino top?

I almost tempted to think that they imagine giving us such an undeserved ranking (and therefore seeding) is a poorly veiled attempt to get us back onside after recent events.

Exactly, this was also my view when they decided that after the 'good job' we done with the CL Final, they have given it to us again in 2013, just trying to butter us up again and forget about the shambles that was the WC Host and FIFA Presidency votes
  • It follows in the grand tradition of football referees who belieive that making a poor decision one way can be cancelled out by making a poor decision the other way.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if this was some pathetic attempt to butter us up - they will be hurting a bit and a few will regret not giving us the World Cup now- you don't want the British press after you do you?. What the FA should do is publically take offence to this sarcastic ranking and claim to be insulted - turn the screw a bit more on Blatter and his cronies.
  • Sponsored links:

Exactly, this was also my view when they decided that after the 'good job' we done with the CL Final, they have given it to us again in 2013, just trying to butter us up again and forget about the shambles that was the WC Host and FIFA Presidency votes

Except that would be UEFA who decide that rather than FIFA.

But other than that, yes FIFA are a total joke.

• Ireland have only gone up 2 places  :(
  • Correct me if i'm wrong but the Fifa rankings are decided on results over the preceding 4 year period. Also, results in major tournaments now have 50% of the imact they did. I can't help but feel this is a way of keeping us seeded in qualification groups and 1st round tournament draws. When i think about it it seems to be an advantage for other big-money nations like the US and France. Us and the French were woeful at the WC and with the draw for the qualification groups coming up (i think) it wouldn't surprise me to see us both as seeded teams and therefore, theoretically, an easy ride into the next tournament.

• We're up to 4th now! You could argue we are not even 4th in the British Isles, let alone Europe and the World!!

Dutch No.1

All a joke.

• Spain drop to 2nd because they lost a friendly. Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me. :-/

In reality, we shouldn't even be in the top 10.
  • mean's nothing. Show's Fifa know nothing
  • It's Batty Blatter trying to get back in our good books .. 4th place? .. to you £10,000,000
  • So top 4 is Netherlands, Spain, Germany, England? Utterly ridiculous for our name to be up there
  • thing is if we played the sides in the top 10 we'd loose to at least 8 of them and I don't even know who they are
  • thing is if we played the sides in the top 10 we'd loose to at least 8 of them and I don't even know who they are
    Well, going by FIFA's reckoning, San marino, Luxumborg, Wales, Isle of dogs and Sheppey will all feature.
  • Sponsored links:

• good news England are up to 4th - its like the last 3 weeks never happened
  • sorry should look properly before posting - late to the party as usual
  • England up to 3rd in latest rankings. Got to love that system.
  • cafcpolo said:

England up to 3rd in latest rankings. Got to love that system.

Beggars belief
  • Does the Olympics count towards it? I know GB doesn't exist but will Spain's crap showing affect them at all, or do Under 23's/21's/18's etc not influence it?
  • Seems as though the reason we moved up is because Uruguay's copa america win was more than 12 month's ago, therefore becomes less important
  • edited August 2012
    Unless they introduce subjective ranking of the teams, it can only be based on some mathematical weighting of results over the last 4 years. Our high ranking seems to stem from the fact that we very rarely lose to poor teams. Most of the other nations do occasionally lose to bad teams, which seems to outweigh the positive results.

Our only defeat to a side outside the top 10 in the last 4 years was away to Ukraine in the 2010 WC Qualifying campaign. (We've lost to France and Brazil in friendlies, but they probably were in the top 10 at the time). Only other sides we've lost to are Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Italy on pens.
  • For a country of it's size Uruguay sure punches above it's weight.
  • What people need to realize is that this current standing of the rankings isn't going to have an influence on any world tournaments so its pointless really taking anything from it.

It's like playing five games more than everyone else and claiming to be the best team because you're top of the league.