Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Rankings

Comments

• Options
    Those articles say Wales would've been above England if we hadn't won on Sunday. So, as we did win, what is our ranking now, as presumably we're back in the top ten?
  • Options

Those articles say Wales would've been above England if we hadn't won on Sunday. So, as we did win, what is our ranking now, as presumably we're back in the top ten?

Not necessarily. If other teams that were already ahead of us had won, at least some would stay ahead of us, wouldn't they?
  • Options
    Think there is a bit of confusion here... Wales by beating Belgium wont be one of the top 10 nations in the world they'll be one of the top 10 European nations.

Means that Brazil / Argentina / Colombia / Costa Rica / United States et al will still be ahead of them so it means they'll be in the World top 20 now (with England probably back ahead of Costa Rica)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Seems like 4 qualifying points against Belgium ranks better than beating Brazil & Argentina in Copa America last month.
    Based on 2015 ranking points, Wales (817) are comfortably the best team of 2015, with Romania (786) second.

1. Argentina
    2. Germany
    3. Belgium
    4. Columbia
    5. Holland
    6. Brazil
    7. Portugal
    8. Romania
    9. England
    10. Wales
    11. Chile
    12. Spain
    17. Italy
    29. Scotland
    http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/
  • Options
    The ranking is used purely for seeding purposes, right? It does not actually mean that Belgium is better than Spain, it is done on form with some adjustment based on your opponent's ranking, if my understanding is correct?
  • Options
    possibly for deciding qualifying groups, in tournaments I think past tournament performance is more important
  • Options
    Salad said:

possibly for deciding qualifying groups, in tournaments I think past tournament performance is more important

No its not, the top 7 teams in October 13 (plus hosts, Brazil) were seeded for Brazil 2014.
  • Options
    Simon Brodkin (Lee Nelson) strikes again.
    Blatter man didn't know his arse from his Elbow.
  • Options
    Wales up to 9th

1. Argentina
    2. Belgium
    3. Germany
    4. Colombia
    5. Brazil
    6. Portugal
    7. Romania
    8. England
    9. Wales
    10. Chile
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    So Chile win the Copa America, beating 1st placed Argentina in the final and are still behind Wales (and England), not to mention Brazil and Colombia who they beat to the cup?

I know it's been said many times and I know there are some calculations underpinning them before but these rankings always seem so counterintuitive.
  • Options
    How did Romania get into the top 10? Can't remember them beating any big teams although they (along with everyone else incl the Faroe Islands) may have beaten Greece.
  • Options
    Just had a quick peep at Wiki. According to the records on there, Romania's only "successes" against other top ranked sides that are still relevant to the rankings (ie within the past 4 years) are a 0-0 draw with France in a qualifier back in 2011, a 2-1 defeat of Belgium in a friendly and another 0-0 in a friendly with Argentina. They failed to qualify for Euro 2012 or Brazil 14.

They have managed draws with the might of Greece, Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Hungary (twice), Belarus and Albania, as well as losing to Slovenia, Turkey, Greece and Algeria...

Baffling.
  • Options
    Belgium still up there pretending to be a good side I see.
  • Options

Here's the latest:
    FIFA RANKINGS FOR OCTOBER
    1. Germany (1)
    2. Brazil (2)
    3. Portugal (3)
    4. Argentina (4)
    5. Belgium (5)
    6. Poland (6)
    7. France (8)
    8. Spain (11)
    9. Chile (9)
    10. Peru (12)
    11. Switzerland (7)
    12. England (15)
    13. Colombia (10)
    14. Wales (13)
    15. Italy (17)
    16. Mexico (14)
    17. Uruguay (16)
    18. Croatia (18)
    19. Denmark (26)
    20. Holland (29)

Usual crap, The Netherlands have gone UP 9 places despite failing to qualify for their second successive major tournament. How does that work?

So we won't be seeded in the WC group stage, could be a blessing. I think we play better against bigger teams.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Here's the latest:
    1. Germany (1)
    2. Brazil (2)
    3. Portugal (3)
    4. Argentina (4)
    5. Belgium (5)
    6. Poland (6)
    7. France (8)
    8. Spain (11)
    9. Chile (9)
    10. Peru (12)
    11. Switzerland (7)
    12. England (15)
    13. Colombia (10)
    14. Wales (13)
    15. Italy (17)
    16. Mexico (14)
    17. Uruguay (16)
    18. Croatia (18)
    19. Denmark (26)
    20. Holland (29)

Usual crap, The Netherlands have gone UP 9 places despite failing to qualify for their second successive major tournament. How does that work?

So we won't be seeded in the WC group stage, could be a blessing. I think we play better against bigger teams.

Depends if we're drawn with Poland or Belgium who are also seeded, neither of whom are better than England (the latter are probably on a par - whilst Poland are nothing without Lewandowski)

Being in the same Group as Germany or Argentina would be brilliant to watch

Have a feeling we'll end up with Russia though
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Here's the latest:
    1. Germany (1)
    2. Brazil (2)
    3. Portugal (3)
    4. Argentina (4)
    5. Belgium (5)
    6. Poland (6)
    7. France (8)
    8. Spain (11)
    9. Chile (9)
    10. Peru (12)
    11. Switzerland (7)
    12. England (15)
    13. Colombia (10)
    14. Wales (13)
    15. Italy (17)
    16. Mexico (14)
    17. Uruguay (16)
    18. Croatia (18)
    19. Denmark (26)
    20. Holland (29)

That defeat for N Ireland against Norway has potentially cost them dearly, as it enabled Denmark to overtake them and be a seeded team
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Well they won the two games they've played since the last ranking.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Riviera said:

Only strange case is they appear to have jumped ahead of Iceland who also won two games

I can only presume that Holland got more points Iceland because the former beat Belarus and Sweden which equal as better results than what the latter managed (i.e. they only beat Turkey and Kosovo)
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

Riviera said:

Only strange case is they appear to have jumped ahead of Iceland who also won two games

I can only presume that Holland got more points Iceland because the former beat Belarus and Sweden which equal as better results than what the latter managed (i.e. they only beat Turkey and Kosovo)
    Yeah I think that's how it works, more points for beating higher ranked teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Post WC rankings to be released on Thursday but now we have the formula, some clever people have worked it all out ahead of time:

1. Brazil (NC)
    2. Argentina (+1)
    3. France (+1)
    4. Belgium (-2)
    5. England (NC)
    6. Netherlands (+2)
    7. Croatia (+5)
    8. Italy (-2)
    9. Portugal (NC)
    10. Spain (-3)
    11. Morocco (+11)
    12. Switzerland (+3)
    13. USA (+3)
    14. Germany (-3)
    15. Mexico (-2)
    16. Uruguay (-2)
    17. Colombia (NC)
    18. Denmark (-8)
    19. Senegal (-1)
    20. Japan (+4)

27. Australia (+11)
    28. Wales (-9)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I always preferred the World Football Elo Ratings which, if you’re interested, have this top 20…

1. Argentina
    2. Brazil
    3. France
    4. Netherlands
    5. Portugal
    6. Spain
    7. Italy
    8. England
    9. Germany
    10. Croatia
    11. Belgium
    12. Colombia
    13. Uruguay
    14. Denmark
    15. Switzerland
    16. Morocco
    17. Peru
    18. Japan
    19. Ecuador
    20. Serbia

• Options
    How can Brazil be above France 
  • Options

Conmebol qualifying - Played 17 won 14 drew 3
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Conmebol qualifying - Played 17 won 14 drew 3
    Also finished second in the Copa America last year...

France bowed out of the Euros at the same time of year, but @ the Round of 16
  • Options
    I always preferred the World Football Elo Ratings which, if you’re interested, have this top 20…

1. Argentina
    2. Brazil
    3. France
    4. Netherlands
    5. Portugal
    6. Spain
    7. Italy
    8. England
    9. Germany
    10. Croatia
    11. Belgium
    12. Colombia
    13. Uruguay
    14. Denmark
    15. Switzerland
    16. Morocco
    17. Peru
    18. Japan
    19. Ecuador
    20. Serbia

Nope prefer the other one, although both are slightly out. How are Portugal 5th? 
  • Options
    Post WC rankings to be released on Thursday but now we have the formula, some clever people have worked it all out ahead of time:

1. Brazil (NC)
    2. Argentina (+1)
    3. France (+1)
    4. Belgium (-2)
    5. England (NC)
    6. Netherlands (+2)
    7. Croatia (+5)
    8. Italy (-2)
    9. Portugal (NC)
    10. Spain (-3)
    11. Morocco (+11)
    12. Switzerland (+3)
    13. USA (+3)
    14. Germany (-3)
    15. Mexico (-2)
    16. Uruguay (-2)
    17. Colombia (NC)
    18. Denmark (-8)
    19. Senegal (-1)
    20. Japan (+4)

27. Australia (+11)
    28. Wales (-9)
    Wales below Australia, Strewth!
  • Options

1. Argentina
    2. Brazil
    3. France
    4. Netherlands
    5. Portugal
    6. Spain
    7. Italy
    8. England
    9. Germany
    10. Croatia
    11. Belgium
    12. Colombia
    13. Uruguay
    14. Denmark
    15. Switzerland
    16. Morocco
    17. Peru
    18. Japan
    19. Ecuador
    20. Serbia

How are Peru in 17th?

Senegal not in the top 20 despite winning the AFCON and making the last 16 of the world cup?
  • Options

1. Brazil (NC)
    2. Argentina (+1)
    3. France (+1)
    4. Belgium (-2)
    5. England (NC)
    6. Netherlands (+2)
    7. Croatia (+5)
    8. Italy (-2)
    9. Portugal (NC)
    10. Spain (-3)
    11. Morocco (+11)
    12. Switzerland (+3)
    13. USA (+3)
    14. Germany (-3)
    15. Mexico (-2)
    16. Uruguay (-2)
    17. Colombia (NC)
    18. Denmark (-8)
    19. Senegal (-1)
    20. Japan (+4)

27. Australia (+11)
    28. Wales (-9)
    I always think that the FIFA Rankings should have an auto reset after each World Cup

Lower rankings are harder for the teams that dont qualify etc. Plus you've got the likes of Italy who only won the Euros a year ago, so my "theory" already has its challenges... But feel like we should be the 6th best team in the world at the moment.