Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Rankings

Comments

• Options
    It's the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    46 years of hurt.
  • Options
    Makes perfect sense. ; )
  • Options
    Good old FIFA Rankings. England drop 6 places to 15th.
  • Options
    I reckon that's actually about right
  • Options
    Probably. Colombia at number 3 though?
  • Options
    We're higher than "15th best" in the World. The fact that we regularly qualify for most tournaments automatically with only one or two losses at a time and reach the Quarter Final stages makes me think we should probably be somewhere between 7th-9th.
  • Options
    If you look at the stats, we've played in 13 world cups, and have an average finishing position of 7th. We've played in 8 European championships, and have an average finishing position of 5th. A couple of non-qualifications in the last 20 years hurts us, but as cafctom says, 7th-9th is realistically where we are.

Of course, if we could take penalties, our stats would look a lot lot better. You could swap our two semi-finals in my life time for finals just for a start, and two finals in which we'd most likely have been favourites.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    in the last few months we've beaten Spain, the World and Euro champions and drawn away with the Confed cup winners and probable favourites for the next World Cup, Brazil. Number 3 might be over egging the pudding, but England is not so bad a team as 'we' like to cry into our beer about, certainly better than 15th
  • Options

in the last few months we've beaten Spain, the World and Euro champions and drawn away with the Confed cup winners and probable favourites for the next World Cup, Brazil. Number 3 might be over egging the pudding, but England is not so bad a team as 'we' like to cry into our beer about, certainly better than 15th

Well said Lincs. But let's be honest, sensible people don't get carried away when we are supposedly top four and don't slit their wrists when we are 15th. It's only a bit of fun to spark bar room debates and excite young folk who take things like the singles chart seriously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think its any where between 9th-15th. The time à while ago when we third was ridiculous.

Its pretty random where you end up and can not argue with 15th. Its very possible we are 15th in the world. Its possible we could be ninth. Without à full international league we will never know.
  • Options
    15th is as laughable as 3rd was
  • Options
    France are 23rd!

• Options

I think its any where between 9th-15th. The time à while ago when we third was ridiculous.

Its pretty random where you end up and can not argue with 15th. Its very possible we are 15th in the world. Its possible we could be ninth. Without à full international league we will never know.

"Third was ridiculous", "cannot argue with 15th"? Either you accept the rankings or you don't, you can't just choose to use the ones that agree with your opinion SWP. That is not logical, captain...

If you read Tom and Randy Andy's posts above I think they are more or less right, and they are using logic and facts to explain their theories.
  • Options
    Well recently we drew with Brazil, but then also drew with Rep. of Ireland.

I guess it's probably because we haven't had a game in a while, whereas other teams have been picking up points from qualification games and the Confed. cup.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

"Third was ridiculous", "cannot argue with 15th"? Either you accept the rankings or you don't, you can't just choose to use the ones that agree with your opinion SWP. That is not logical, captain...

If you read Tom and Randy Andy's posts above I think they are more or less right, and they are using logic and facts to explain their theories.
    Here is some logic.

A team who fails to beat Ukraine, Montenegro, republic of ireland is more likely to be way closer to 15th than 3rd regardless of Brazil results. That was my point.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    ELO rankings seem a bit more accurate

http://www.eloratings.net/
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter but may do when the World Cup group seeding is decided. That's of course assuming we get that far
  • Options

More realistic .. interesting that Tibet has a rating, I thought that the 'nation' of Tibet had been absorbed into China
  • Options
    FIFA need a stated mathematical system for the seedings of countries in qualifying rounds and competitions.
    You are never going to get anything perfect that truly reflects the ratings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More realistic .. interesting that Tibet has a rating, I thought that the 'nation' of Tibet had been absorbed into China
    Wiki seems to think that they are an unofficial team set up by the government in exile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet_national_football_team

• Options
    edited July 2013

Here is some logic.

A team who fails to beat Ukraine, Montenegro, republic of ireland is more likely to be way closer to 15th than 3rd regardless of Brazil results. That was my point.

Why "regardless of the Brazil results"?
  • Options

Wiki seems to think that they are an unofficial team set up by the government in exile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet_national_football_team

cheers BFR
  • Options
    We also beat Ukraine at Euro 2012.

Keep in mind that Montenegro or Ireland only managed to get draws from us as well. England are a generally consistent side in most games. Performances aren't often mindblowing, but we will more often than not get a result.
  • Options
    Montenegro or Ireland aren't top 15 material
  • Options
    Don't think friendlies should be taken in to account, they prove nothing about a team because there is no pressure or intensity
  • Options
    Neither do they involve full squads. Its the equivalent of suggesting club teams get points or rewards for their games against Welling or Real Madrid in pre season games.
  • Options
    We really need to be in the top 8 by the time the World Cup draw is done, and hopefully get a Bosnia or a Greece as the second seed team in the group.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Neither do they involve full squads. Its the equivalent of suggesting club teams get points or rewards for their games against Welling or Real Madrid in pre season games.

It was you that mentioned Ireland though.

• Options

cafctom said:

It was you that mentioned Ireland though.

Only in reference to the fact that someone stated we should be closer to 15th simply because we couldn't beat Ireland. I was merely pointing out that they didn't beat us either, so lets not discredit England more than necessary. My stance is that games like that shouldn't count anyway.