Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What to invest in??

Comments

• Is it a decent read? What sort of money is there to be made say in 5-6 years time? 

It seems straight foward enough - a good basic investing book, but the best reading is to immerse yourself in the subject. The best learning comes with time and experience and developing a sense of judgement.

What money you make in five/six years depends on how you trade and how lucky you are, if you use a conservative strategy and hold for the mid/long term then you should be able make 10-20% PA, compare that with your bank and it's excellent. A riskier strategy could see you make far more, but you might lose far more as well.

As someone says upthread the first £10,600 that you make in capital gains every year is tax free.

• My somewhat risky advice is to invest in:

1. Robotics & AI
    2. Intelligent clothing
    3. Biofuels
    4. Research into cosmic energy
    5. Ethiopia

or for a safe bet call Golfie and do as he says - it's always worked for me. If you think he's a pessimist on here then surely for financial advice that's a good thing because if he thinks something's safe then it must be.
  • Sounds a big read up. Are shares for companies always on sale?
  • In the old Net Addicks days Two Sheds had the pee ripped out of him for this.
    My advice is; dont invest in anything you dont understand.
    If it was that easy to make money none of us would being doing the day jobs we do.
    If it was that easy to make money none of us would being doing the day jobs we do.

Kill the mood :(
  • I am looking for a pot to piss in. Any advice as to what it should be made of ?
  • edited July 2011
    Plastic :-)
    There's a risk of the metal corroding, glass is too fragile and ceramic's too heavy.
    No - 2Sheds had the piss ripped out of him for being an utter prat.
  • I am looking for a pot to piss in. Any advice as to what it should be made of ?

Easy sweetheart the grass ain't always green. I needed some advice and got it don't hate.
  • edited July 2011

Depends what returns you want really cray. If you want a relatively safe long term investment then invest in bonds, particularly UK Treasury ones (which are a pretty much guaranteed return). They will be a lowish return but will be stable. Gold and other such commodoties as suggested above are in a similar vein.

Equities are more high risk.  To make any real money you are essentially gambling ie you can lose it all, make very little or if you are lucky (or really know what you are doing) can make a great return.

Its not complicated. Theres a big deal made by city traders and the media that you need to be a Wall street wizard and have a degree in economics to make any money on the markets but thats bollocks.  Its common sense and a bit of awareness and education which can be gained by occassionally browsing the FT or business sections of broadsheets.

Eg if you had put shed loads of dosh in RBS for example  when its share price was at rock bottom a couple of years ago you would have seen its SP grow over the past few years and in 5 years i imagine it will be a lot higher.

• Sponsored links:

• Wine now there is something I may invest
  • After looking at wine I've decided to pull out of that idea.

I've now turned my attention to bonds.

Has anyone got any investment in bonds? If so how did you go about it?
  • @jimmymelrose As I have an interest in Ethiopia and its history, I'm curious as to what you had in mind concerning investing there.
  • After looking at wine I've decided to pull out of that idea.

I've now turned my attention to bonds.

Has anyone got any investment in bonds? If so how did you go about it?
    Premium bonds ? Id say they are one of the worst investments. Sure your money will be safe, but there has to be better ways to make your money work for you.
  • Anyone else see the news article about how much demand there is for rental properties and how that is pushing rents up?
  • I'm thinking of maybe putting it in to Stocks via a bank...

This ain't easy... In a book I've read "barefoot investor" he says splitting money into 3 bank accounts...

CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO!!
  • Sounds like to we need to form a new clic.........Charlton Life Investment Club

They can be very profitable if set up and run correctly

• All this 'wealth' wanting to know 'what to invest in' however I noticed that you are yet to join the rest of us not so wealthy folks in the "Charlton Life Shirt Sponsership"?? 
  • A stocks and shares ISA?

Any one had experience with it?
  • None of this rubbish for you eh Sadie, you only invest in Pokerstars ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I've had many experiences with Stocks & Shares ISA's............then again, I should have as I'm an IFA. !!   lol
  • None of this rubbish for you eh Sadie, you only invest in Pokerstars ;-)

And the above mentioned shirt sponsership, great investment, get to help the club and could win a gnome, which still CrayAddick snubs ....

CL Shirt Sponser = Proper Charlton! lol
  • I've had many experiences with Stocks & Shares ISA's............then again, I should have as I'm an IFA. !!   lol

Can you message me and give me some advice?
  • Yep I am in too, that makes us both proper Charlton ;-), I didn't realise I could win a Gnome, how cool is that!!
  • Yep I am in too, that makes us both proper Charlton ;-), I didn't realise I could win a Gnome, how cool is that!!
    Back off buddy it's mine :-p

I don't want to go to the dinner so you can have that instead lol.
  • Give me your spare dough and I guarantee you that I will have a great time spending it. What better return than that could you want?
    Ah, the standard banking model
  • Sorry Cray, I don't do freebies !!!!

best thing you (or anyone else can do for that matter) is to seek professional 1-1 advice. Look in the Yellow Pages under Financial Advice or IFA Promotions and they will point you in the right way. You may have to pay for this, either by way of an up-front fee or by way of a product charge (commission), but it will be worth it.

You can, of course, pop into your local bank or building society and they may be able to help - but unlikely that they will be independant & may just be flogging their own products.

• I think I'm going to put some into a 5 year ISA share and the rest into a savings account :)

Golf addick a bit of free advice goes a long way :) especially for fellow Charlton fans!!

What do you think of the idea?
  • Have you a selective reading difficulty?
     as you do not seem to have commented on shirt sponsorship or is it just you have Walter Mitty syndrome?  :)
  • good idea  - if its your first time then I suggest that you split it between a Cash Isa & a Stocks & Shares Isa. If you have  a lump sum to invest them you can put no more than 50% of your allowance (£10,680) into Cash & the ramiander into a share based ISA.

By doing this you will still have some money to fall back on should you need it in the short term and wont need to touch the investment based one as you need to give it time to grow............ideally at least 3 years and 5yrs+ is better.

For the Share based ISA look at unit trust / OEIC's - try to avoid the bland managed funds run by banks and go for a selection of funds  - which should include fixed interest securities, UK, europe & USA funds, some commercial property and some emerging markets.

There !!   I thinh thats enough free advice to be getting along with.