Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What to invest in??

Comments

• Well, I definitely picked the right time to cash in my stocks and shares ISA. :-)
  • Well, I definitely picked the right time to cash in my stocks and shares ISA. :-)

Keep an eye on the market - there'll be a few bargains around. The banking stocks have taken a hiding but Barclays at circa £2 Lloyds at less than 40p etc will look cheap in a year or two, but they could and probably will go lower first. Just how much lower no one knows.
  • @jimmymelrose As I have an interest in Ethiopia and its history, I'm curious as to what you had in mind concerning investing there.
    lol. I said my ideas are risky. I just have a feeling about it, that's all. Everyone's harping on about China and Brazil. I say that Africa's the place to invest and moreover a country that's been extremely poor but is now pulling itself together. It was my number 5 and hence a bit of a wild card. Also, they have funky banknotes.
  • By the way, when we sold our flat in 2008 my wife said 'buy gold.' Perhaps you should all be asking her what to do now!!
  • I here peanuts are on the up ; )

Keep an eye on the market - there'll be a few bargains around. The banking stocks have taken a hiding but Barclays at circa £2 Lloyds at less than 40p etc will look cheap in a year or two, but they could and probably will go lower first. Just how much lower no one knows.

Whose it best to buy the stock with??
  • Gold. The world is heading into a global economic downturn that will make 2008 look like a picnic. Gold is and always will be a safe haven, so put 80% of your money in producing miners. You don't have to go exclusively with the big boys - juniors are OK, but no pure explorers as it's too risky to see them even getting the capital to start getting it out of the ground. There are some legitimate takeover targets at the explorer end, but that's a risk as well. The other 20% can go into whatever takes your fancy out of the financial stocks - those part-owned by the state are a good investment long-term because they can't fail. The state won't allow it. Lloyds is a bargain, but I think it may fall quite a way further before it starts levelling out. Just don't shit the bed when you put money into them and watch it drop like a stone - hold your nerve and you'll make money in the long-term.

Above all else, don't try to 'time' an entry or exit point. I was lucky that last week I got spooked by the big debt crisis in the US and dragged every penny I own out of every share I'm invested in. I took a bath on a couple of them, but gains I've made in others more than offset any losses and I'm still up 13.8% overall on the year. If I'd left it in there I would actually have been DOWN 2.7% this year, based on what they've done in the past week (portfolio heavily weighted towards miners).

I'm sitting on cash now until I think the sentiment is about to turn - but I won't make the mistake of leaving it too late (like I did with BP last year)
  • If Marks & Sparks go under 3.30 today then I'm going to buy some. Awful fees buying from Aus but they'll be at 4.00 sometime in the next 12 months, IMHO, over 20% return (as long as you remember to sell before they go down again, like I did last time!)
  • Gold and silver for me, gold will hit $2000 and silver could hit $70 over the next couple of years.
  • edited August 2011
    Wine, Art and Gold.

Also shares in Utilities companies and oil companies (UK ones) where they are flogging something that is practically a necessity and in limited supply.
  • Sponsored links:

Thanks for the advice BFR, but I'm with my Grandad on the subject of the stock market - it's basically just a more socially acceptable form of gambling.
  •  

Well, I definitely picked the right time to cash in my stocks and shares ISA. :-)

Thanks for the advice BFR, but I'm with my Grandad on the subject of the stock market - it's basically just a more socially acceptable form of gambling.

If you have a pension plan, unit trusts/Investment trusts or some kind of saving plan then you are almost certainly already investing in the stock market.

Whose it best to buy the stock with??

Go to www.idealing.com and open an account, stick some money in to fund it and away you go.

• Wine, Art and Gold.

Also shares in Utilities companies and oil companies (UK ones) where they are flogging something that is practically a necessity and in limited supply.
    What art do you collect ?
  • Wine, Art and Gold.

What art do you collect ?

Mainly cigarette cards ;-) 

I dont personally as dont have the money but people who do will tell you it outperforms most other investments long term. Although you need to know what you are looking for and its a big gamble i suppose. Probably best left to those who dont need any more money to be honest!

• Anyone putting some money towards Facebook shares?
  • Not looking at them myself, just have a feeling they are over priced. That said if they are not then money is to be made for sure.
  • I think they will start of high but surely it's a guarantee to make money?
  • Pork Bellies and Orange Juice.
  • Booze, fags .drugs or get into the motor insurance game , they seem to charge what they want .
  • Sponsored links:

• you could probably buy Rangers football club
  • Anyone putting some money towards Facebook shares?

An artist I collect 'David Choe' was paid in shares by FB for a commission 5 years ago. He's now worth $200-500m !

Personaly I wouldnt invest in FB. Everything has its time, it was myspace 5-6 years ago and now that is pretty much dead
  • edited March 2012
    I think they will start of high but surely it's a guarantee to make money?
    Like I said many factors for me that mean they are (again for me) over priced. Facebook has not had much luck in the shopping ranks. This has been proved by some very big names that had Facebook shop fronts but have mostly been closed due to lack of sales. People use Facebook to show off to there friends about how great there life is. Not a place to make money for business with ease. Hostile place with hostile closed user groups (i.e. your friends)

However if they do have a plan to make money from what is one of (if not the biggest) user groups in the world, that works, money will rain on them much like Google.
  • I don't know of any particular companies as I'm not the type of person to make investments, but I can't help but think that the de-salination industry will be very important in the future. There's not enough fresh water to go around whilst sea levels are rising. Seems a no-brainer to me.
  • edited March 2012
    I don't know of any particular companies as I'm not the type of person to make investments, but I can't help but think that the de-salination industry will be very important in the future. There's not enough fresh water to go around whilst sea levels are rising. Seems a no-brainer to me.
    These type of companies tend to fall into the same type as renewables and are a good bet for the long term. It is still a matter of picking the right ones that will last and grow however.

Can I just point out again I am not a pro at this and this is only my personal take on matters. Please feel free to rubbish me and disregard.
  • Sorry Cray, I don't do freebies !!!!

Fair enough, but I have been looking at PIBS lately with a view to getting a better return - Nationwide BS, for example, looks pretty decent with a yield not far off 8%. Do you have any experience of these?
  • Short
    Facebook (Once available)
    Swiss Frank (CHF)

Long
    Tesco
    Centrica
    Oil!
    Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)

• Anything Chinese or anything the Chinese buy.

Nothing European.
  • property, real estate, for rental income and as a long term inheritance for your children
  • Met a guy at lunchtime - just £1000 for 3 magic beans.

Apparently if I plant them tonight they'll bring me untold wealth.