Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    Tried it, was absolute rubbish at it, had lessons, was still rubbish, will probably never play it again.

I once read that Golf is one of the most addictive sports, but it didn't get to me.
  • Options

You will do much better Leroy, if you upgrade to the new Apple Clubs.

You wont believe how good the I-drive and I-putt clubs are.

Very good!

I'm just waiting for Cleveland (my irons) or Ping (my woods & driver) to have a tie-up with crApple. I'll probably give up the game :)
  • Options
    Shot a 92 today
  • Options
    Went to the driving range tonight for the first time since ACL reconstruction in Jan. Was hitting it surprisingly nicely considering. Aiming to finally shoot below 100 this year.
  • Options
    Hole in one today :o)

Just thought I'd mention it, like...
  • Options
    Well played Leroy. Did you buy everyone a drink in the clubhouse? :-)

For my part, I've reluctantly accepted that I'm not much good at the game.
    To give you some context, my two regular playing partners regularly score sub 90 rounds, while on Saturday just gone I was chuffed with a 99 as I hadn't been under 100 for ages.

That's the thing I really love about it though, is that I can play with a couple of mates who are 10 or 15 shots a round better than me and we can have a decent competition on handicaps.

Great game.
  • Options

congrats leroy.

i have been playing for 25+ years and haven't got one.

which course/hole?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Coulsdon - the 11th. Hate that hole normally as well - it's got a horrible green on it and pin placement is usually spiteful.

And no - I didn't buy everyone a drink - I conveniently skirted the bar afterwards :)
  • Options
    Coulsdon - the 11th. Hate that hole normally as well - it's got a horrible green on it and pin placement is usually spiteful.

And no - I didn't buy everyone a drink - I conveniently skirted the bar afterwards :)
    But you said you knew the rules? The unwritten ones are as important as those found in the R&A Handbook. With behaviour like that you are not a golfer. Adhering to the etiquette of the greatest game is required by all to keep this sport at the top of the pile where it belongs.
  • Options
    Good on you Leroy

you must be a natural ,did you start with lessons ? or did you just jump in with both feet ?

Golf ,along with cricket is a great game to get your kids into ,both teach discipline, respect for team mates ,opponents and the traditions of the sport and you are most probably not going to get any longterm injuries.Its difficult to find the time for golf and( be good at it} other sports though

just find the time to keep supporting CAFC     
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The annoying thing about Leroy is that he's a bloody good chess player as well. I've never met him but one can only hope that he's an ugly git with a body odour problem!

;-)

• Options
    **cough** I was once ranked 1st in the Kent league for Chess as a school kid **cough cough ***
  • Options

golf and chess!...must be a real hit with the ladies.

;-)

• Options
    yeah ruined my street cred when I dropped it in a chat up line.....
  • Options
    I only play very occasionally and the game itself if okay but I can't stand the people! I used to insure one of the golfing organisations and I've never spoken to a more unpleasant bunch than the claimants who rang in under that policy. Stuck up, entitled, self-obsessed, arrogant pricks. This is matched by many of the people I met on the rare occasion that I played. Being told that I needed to wear golf shoes and forced to hire them from the club at some exorbitant rate. I wouldn't mind so much but the shoes I was forced to hire were almost identical to the ones I was already wearing!!
  • Options

I got a hole in one yesterday at the 11th at St Andrews............whilst playing on this . www.wgt.com.

Great online game to while away a lunch hour.

• Options
    Congrats Leroy.

Only played once this year. Playing Goodwood in a couple of weeks, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Good on you Leroy

you must be a natural ,did you start with lessons ? or did you just jump in with both feet ?

Golf ,along with cricket is a great game to get your kids into ,both teach discipline, respect for team mates ,opponents and the traditions of the sport and you are most probably not going to get any longterm injuries.Its difficult to find the time for golf and( be good at it} other sports though

just find the time to keep supporting CAFC     
    Funny you should say that about getting the kids into golf - my older son really got into it a few years ago and a mate said "that's fantastic news - he'll have to do well at school and get a decent job now to fund it"!
  • Options
    I don't know about 'natural' - the rest of the round was actually pretty crap. I definitely seem to have an ability to hit the ball consistently straight though, which helps. More importantly, I like playing the game (something which a lot of people I've encountered actually don't seem to do).

I agree with what other people have said though - there is a LOT of poncery involved in golf. It's one of the reasons I can't ever see myself joining a club.
  • Options
    I'm with you Leroy - can't stand all that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely love playing,sometimes very well,sometimes very badly but it is definately one of the most addictive sports out there. Played Old Thorns in Liphook,Hampshire yesterday,its a fantastic course and i got a good deal of coffee and bacon roll on arrival,18 holes then a pint after for £30,WELL worth it. The deal runs until the end of October i think and i would consider it to be one of the best courses ive played in this country.
  • Options
    I've heard some pretty crappy reviews of Old Thorns, tbh. One of my mates played there on a society day and got told to tuck his shirt in three times, and was told to pull his socks up by a member playing on the hole parallel to the one they were playing. Similar to the experience I had at Purley Downs, where they obviously hate having to let non-members play (which is a pathetic attituder - as if they didn't, the course would collapse through lack of funding, or be three times as expesnive for membership). He also said the greens were a nightmare when he played (ridiculously fast - like ice-rinks)

Of course, that could have been because he had a bad day, but he plays off eight, and said he played to his handicap - whilst some of the higher handicapped society members turned in cards of 100-105 and said they felt the greens were unfair.

Glad to see someone else has enjoyed it and posted a review though - usually you only get the 'bad' experiences people have had at courses, rather than the good ones!
  • Options

Played Old Thorns about four years ago on our yearly lads golf weekend, thought it was pretty average to be fair. Might have played it at the wrong time of year though. Definitely check out Chartham Park, fantastic course and they do a lot of good deals at this time of the year.

Leroy, I used to be a member at Addington Palace, which is also very nice. You get the odd arsehole member like anywhere (and look at some of our fans at The Valley as well), it can't be helped unfortunately, but on the whole a very friendly and welcoming club. Not sure if you can pay a one off green fee but worth a look as if I remember rightly from the riot threads, you are not a million miles away from there.

• Options
    the snobbishness of private golf courses/clubs astounds me

how the hell are those people ever going to attract youngsters into the sport or encourage new members

For clubs that make guests unwelcome please add sidcup GC ..got the shirt hanging out/sock hanging down bit there and had to wait about 30 mins in the bar to get served, as i wasnt a member

i felt about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit  
  • Options
    Used to play all the time, used to play 9 holes every morning at Cray Valley in the spring and summer (I worked local and had flexible hours), my brothers mate was the pro there in the 80's, packed it in 'cos I had more important commitments and have not played for 18 years. Have been considering taking it up again but just dont have the time.
    Always got fed up with the snobbery on courses though, we played a course as a 4 ball one summer eve, we got to about hole 13 and the light was fading so walked over to play the 17th and 18th, no one on the hole behind us, so did not have to request to 'play through'. Anyway this retired Colonel Blimp type comes over and asks us what on earth we are doing, having pointed out that we were not interfering with anyone's game he says he's going to report us, my mate says 'OK then whats my name?', red faced bloke calls us 'damned hooligans' and storms off! Little Britain is alive and well and lives in the Golf clubs.
  • Options

Played Old Thorns about four years ago on our yearly lads golf weekend, thought it was pretty average to be fair. Might have played it at the wrong time of year though. Definitely check out Chartham Park, fantastic course and they do a lot of good deals at this time of the year.

Leroy, I used to be a member at Addington Palace, which is also very nice. You get the odd arsehole member like anywhere (and look at some of our fans at The Valley as well), it can't be helped unfortunately, but on the whole a very friendly and welcoming club. Not sure if you can pay a one off green fee but worth a look as if I remember rightly from the riot threads, you are not a million miles away from there.

Yeah - I got invited to a golf day there a few weeks back by the senior pro at the range I go to, but was in Barcelona. It's a course I definitely want to play, but isn't that Uncle Ron's club? Would feel a bit grim about giving that tosser any of my cash!
  • Options
    I like Addington Palace too

Uncle Rons club was Westerham but i dont think he s involved now  
  • Options
    I actually saw him whilst eating breakfast at Westerham a while back, left a sour taste in the mouth I tell you! I know he has a few fingers in a few golf pies but not sure exactly which ones. Think he also had something to do with Surrey National (formerly Happy Valley) and a few others as well.
  • Options
    Altonwood group and uncle Ron own these I think?
    http://www.altonwood-group.co.uk/
  • Options
    Well I play off 11.4 and not played much over last two years mainly due to hip problem, but trying to get back into it, my Scotty Cameron putter is my weapon :-)