Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    I didn't take up golf until I was about 50, love the game although I am useless at it, rarely below 100, but I have done a hole in one twice. The first time on a nine hole course when I found the ball in the hole and the second on a proper course from an elevated tee and watched the ball pitch on the edge of the green then run into the hole - absolute magic. This year I've only played once due to a bad back, but next year............
  • Options
    Altonwood group and uncle Ron own these I think?
    http://www.altonwood-group.co.uk/
    Ah - that explains why Godstone's such an abject s***hole then.
  • Options

I play at The Addington - one of Uncle Ron's courses and whilst the clubhouse is naff (he has planning permission given for a new clubhouse), the course is superb, the members are very friendly and it's one of the best courses in South East England.

My one true vice is the membership fees, but it means the competitions are always open for people to join and the ambience there is first class.

Not poncey at all, even if it comes with a price tag.

• Options
    @supaclive

totally agree about the addington, it really is a great course. definitely one of my favorites. the clubhouse is ok though, well much better than it was a few years back.
  • Options
    Played my first ever golf round at Old Thorns, my over riding memory was teeing up and then on my back swing guns going off all over the place! Think they have an army training camp next door?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Played my first ever golf round at Old Thorns, my over riding memory was teeing up and then on my back swing guns going off all over the place! Think they have an army training camp next door?
    By the time it took for you to complete your backswing, a whole war could have been fought !

Was that the place where I fell in the lake ?

Roll on Goodwood with my roomie bitch :-)

• Options
    Yeah that was the infamous lake fall! Looking forward to Goodwood!
  • Options
    One flippin weekend I said don't pick!
  • Options
    It's not a weekend, its Thursday to Friday !
  • Options
    Yeah that was the infamous lake fall! Looking forward to Goodwood!

I've just found the thread and YouTube clip of it. Shall I ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Friday is Os birthday.
  • Options

I play at The Addington - one of Uncle Ron's courses and whilst the clubhouse is naff (he has planning permission given for a new clubhouse), the course is superb, the members are very friendly and it's one of the best courses in South East England.

My one true vice is the membership fees, but it means the competitions are always open for people to join and the ambience there is first class.

Not poncey at all, even if it comes with a price tag.

Can't believe I've never played here Supaclive, could see some of the holes from Addington Palace and know it's meant to be absolute quality. Definitely on my to do list.
  • Options

I've heard some pretty crappy reviews of Old Thorns, tbh. One of my mates played there on a society day and got told to tuck his shirt in three times, and was told to pull his socks up by a member playing on the hole parallel to the one they were playing. Similar to the experience I had at Purley Downs, where they obviously hate having to let non-members play (which is a pathetic attituder - as if they didn't, the course would collapse through lack of funding, or be three times as expesnive for membership). He also said the greens were a nightmare when he played (ridiculously fast - like ice-rinks)

Of course, that could have been because he had a bad day, but he plays off eight, and said he played to his handicap - whilst some of the higher handicapped society members turned in cards of 100-105 and said they felt the greens were unfair.

Glad to see someone else has enjoyed it and posted a review though - usually you only get the 'bad' experiences people have had at courses, rather than the good ones!

I played there for the 1st time a couple of years ago around March time and the greens were indeed ridiculously fast,like putting on a snooker table. They were playing much nicer yesterday,quick,but not unfairly so and the whole course was in very good nick. I rang them before i went re dress code/socks etc and was told although they prefer 'proper' socks,ankle socks were acceptable as long as they were white. I played the entire round with my shirt untucked,so did my playing partners and the course marshall whom we saw twice and spoke too didnt say a word about tucking them in,he was very friendly i must say. I played to my handicap of 16 and wouldve gone under that but for a couple of underhit putts so had an enjoyable day. I just think its maybe one of those courses that plays very differently at certain times of the year.
  • Options
    The photo next to my user name was taken after my only hole-in-one earlier this year - yes I did get drinks all round afterwards - and I was happy to do it. Some golf pros end up with numerous "aces" but some never get one through their whole career.
    Happy Golfing.
  • Options

golf and chess!...must be a real hit with the ladies.

;-)

Being married kind of makes it meaningless, but yes - a hit with ladies who possess a brain anyway.
  • Options
    The photo next to my user name was taken after my only hole-in-one earlier this year - yes I did get drinks all round afterwards - and I was happy to do it. Some golf pros end up with numerous "aces" but some never get one through their whole career.
    Happy Golfing.
    If I was a member of the club I would have bought the drinks. SInce I'm not, I figured it would be pretty pointless to buy a bunch of randoms a drink! It feels awesome doesn't it? I've had a stupid smile on my face most of today :)
  • Options

regarding some thingss mentioned back on this thread.

westerham - although it's noades connection is a decent course.

woldingham (i thought it was this that used to be happy valley) - wasn't impressed at all.

chartham park - know the former captain and our society has had a day out there for the last 3 years. very nice course. 

would rather putt on something that was "too quick" than a tad slow.

have been playing golf for about 28 years and after deciding not to renew my cafc season ticket for the 1st time in 20 decided to join a club for the 1st time this year. woodlands did a 2for1 promotion in march which meant me and a mate have got 7 day memberships for £575 each. i've got my 1st official handicap of 15, have only been playing it about once a week but it has more than paid for itself already. there are 27 other courses in the south-east that i can play for free during midweek, though some are still a bit of a trek. i can put up with a certain level of snobbery as long as it keeps millwall away from my course.

• Options

regarding some thingss mentioned back on this thread.

westerham - although it's noades connection is a decent course.

woldingham (i thought it was this that used to be happy valley) - wasn't impressed at all.

chartham park - know the former captain and our society has had a day out there for the last 3 years. very nice course. 

would rather putt on something that was "too quick" than a tad slow.

have been playing golf for about 28 years and after deciding not to renew my cafc season ticket for the 1st time in 20 decided to join a club for the 1st time this year. woodlands did a 2for1 promotion in march which meant me and a mate have got 7 day memberships for £575 each. i've got my 1st official handicap of 15, have only been playing it about once a week but it has more than paid for itself already. there are 27 other courses in the south-east that i can play for free during midweek, though some are still a bit of a trek. i can put up with a certain level of snobbery as long as it keeps millwall away from my course.

• Options

Paul - whats the deal with the woodlands membership? I have looked on there site before but wasnt too sure of the in's and out's of it? £575 for full 7 day memebership? Any time restrictions on it?

• Options
    The 2for1 deal i got expired in march. unbelievably good value. no restrictions. all usual member benefits. It was a popular promotion that put a few existing members nose out as it only applied for new members. But to keep the 1st year members, 7 day memberships have now been reduced to about 900 pound. They are doing a pm deal at 575 at the moment. 7 day afternoon membership that a few posties i know are looking at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I had a hole in one at Ilfracombe golf course about 8 years ago.   Alas it's right by the sea, on the side of a mountain, so very linksy and it's a blind shot, par 3 2nd hole.   I didn't see it go in, but the guys in the group in front did.   All I heard was a huge cheer and a warm, wet feeling when I walked up to the hole and picked my ball out.

And yes, I DID buy the drinks in the bar!

• Options

I had a hole in one at Ilfracombe golf course about 8 years ago.   Alas it's right by the sea, on the side of a mountain, so very linksy and it's a blind shot, par 3 2nd hole.   I didn't see it go in, but the guys in the group in front did.   All I heard was a huge cheer and a warm, wet feeling when I walked up to the hole and picked my ball out.

• Options

• Options
    That's 3 shots Clive.
  • Options
    re woodlands

lovely course but put off by the "eiger" and the over the road down the hill hole

has anyone given AUSTIN LODGE a shout ?
  • Options

used to be a member at the 'slodge' - Buggy is NEEDED

Play course around that area - Cray Valley, Shoreham, Austin Lodge, Pedham place

• Options
    Down to 17.1 now. Played Addington Court for the first time last week - 89 first time out - not too bad without knowing the course, but it isn't that long, and, tbh, I didn't think it was all that. There's a couple of really nice holes (par 3 on the front nine where you hit almost through trees on either side to a slightly downhill green was lovely, as was one of the long par 4s on the back nine (slight dogleg left to right, tree-protected green on the right hand side) but most of the holes were pretty average and tended to blend into one another.

Really liking The Oaks in Carshalton Beeches though. Played that a lot now (more than ten times), so might have to make it 'officially' my home course for next year. Anyone ever been a member there?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    not really a fan of addington court, there are much better courses not too far away from it.  playing royal st. george's on friday and looking forward to that.
  • Options
    Wow - that's a treat! I'd love to play there. How much is it costing you? I played Hampton Court Palace the other week - really enjoyed that (it's like a sort of inland links)
  • Options
    never played hampton court but heard good things about there.

i got invited along on some society day, can't wait.took about 2 seconds to think it over whether i wanted to play. have played prince's a few times and really enjoyed there though. royal cinque ports is meant to be a bit special along that coast