Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chess.com

Comments

• Options
    Why oh why did I do that @Red_in_SE8 ?
  • Options

Is playing Black a disadvantage?

I’m sure it’s not to those more skilled players but I’m not in that category and wondered if it was?

I’m not referring to our tournaments either because we have an opportunity to play both.

Yes not having the first move gives your opponent the initiative, but it can often be lost.
  • Options

Only you can answer that!
  • Options

Only you can answer that!
    I've made some pretty dumb moves in my time but I think that just about takes the biscuit!:(
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Well played QBCQBC
  • Options
    Well played Terry. Don't know if you noticed but I tried to be a bit different with the openings in these games to mix things up a bit. Still got a chance in one but think I'll go back to my more conventional methods next time!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    What does your chess playing style, tell you about the type of football coach you might be?

Clearly I’m a defence minded coach, so thinking, playing from the back is the best form of attack and hoping your opponents under hit a back pass!

The problem with that when playing better opponents, it invites enormous pressure and with a dodgey back four, mistakes are inevitable and often fatal!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Well played @Red_in_SE8 .

Not suggesting the Queen cost me but it was a pretty dumb move!
  • Options
    Talal said:

Well played Terry. Don't know if you noticed but I tried to be a bit different with the openings in these games to mix things up a bit. Still got a chance in one but think I'll go back to my more conventional methods next time!

Thanks Tom, yes I noticed the different openings, I think you will win the other game, I find our games are always close and enjoyable
  • Options

Well played @Red_in_SE8 .

Not suggesting the Queen cost me but it was a pretty dumb move!

Do you think your chess has suffered, since you started your How Big Is Your Knob comparison site?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes most definitely;)

I’m enjoying the games very much and it’s interesting how I fare against you all because of your different playing styles.

QBCQBC walks the floor with me, as does Talal and Red_in_SE8 to some extent or perhaps I should say they put me under pressure to the point of me making a stupid mistake but I seem to put up a better performance against you, if I can call it that?

• Options

Talal said:

Thanks Tom, yes I noticed the different openings, I think you will win the other game, I find our games are always close and enjoyable
    They are. I guess I should win it really but not feeling confident about it for some reason, still a lot to do.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I think all openings other than pawn to king 4 (not sure how it should be annotated or even what it is called) are perverse and insidious. Probably because I have never learnt any other openings!

Perhaps some of you experts could give us tips. For instance, what are the second, third and fourth most common openings? What are their strategies and how should they be defended? I have some chess books but my mind goes a complete blank when I see a list of anotated chess moves.
  • Options

What does your chess playing style, tell you about the type of football coach you might be?

Clearly I’m a defence minded coach, so thinking, playing from the back is the best form of attack and hoping your opponents under hit a back pass!

The problem with that when playing better opponents, it invites enormous pressure and with a dodgey back four, mistakes are inevitable and often fatal!

I would probably be in the George Graham style, I like to get my defence tight as a chess player, that maybe why we have closer chess games, and like George I am open to a bung, if you wont to win a chess game against me
  • Options
    I like to think I start out solid and positional but about eight moves in the insanity will blossom
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I like to think I start out solid and positional but about eight moves in the insanity will blossom

You jest, surely?
  • Options

I would probably be in the George Graham style, I like to get my defence tight as a chess player, that maybe why we have closer chess games, and like George I am open to a bung, if you wont to win a chess game against me
    How much will it cost?
  • Options

How much will it cost?
    I think you will beat me on merit, the more games you play your chess will improve and as you say you are enjoying playing, go into every game thinking you can win it.
  • Options
    Another move where I was obviously playing in a parallel universe @charente addick
  • Options

Talal said:

Probably will be a draw but going to see if I can find an unlikely opening first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well played Tom, it looked a draw to me but you played the endgame well.
  • Options

Well played Tom, it looked a draw to me but you played the endgame well.

Cheers, thought I'd blown that game just got lucky in the end.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I’m getting a bit fed up with saying, well played to everyone:(

Nevertheless, well payed @Johnnysummers5 not sure if I hadn’t blundered, so frustrating, if it would have made a difference?
  • Options

Nevertheless, well payed @Johnnysummers5 not sure if I hadn’t blundered, so frustrating, if it would have made a difference?

I must say I never payed you a penny to win that game.
    Seriously thanks for another good game
  • Options

I must say I never payed you a penny to win that game.
    Seriously thanks for another good game
    And you were right, I didn’t:(

It was a good game.
  • Options
    I see there’s an article on the home page of Chess.com “How Can Older Players Improve?” maybe I should read it.

Not wishing to pry into your personal lives, oh alright I am but interested to know the ages of the players in this current tournament?

Clearly as one gets older then ones thinking capabilities presumably diminishes. I’m not using that as an excuse, just interested to know what mind ages I’m playing against.

I’m 63
  • Options
    I am 73, but keep it to yourself
  • Options
    Well there's my theory out the window @Johnnysummers5!

Your secrets safe with me.
  • Options
    Sticking with the 3 theme... 33.
  • Options
    When is a new tournie likely to start? 48 btw silav