Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 1 Reading - Post Match Views

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
Sounded an exciting game tonight.

Look forward to hearing the views of those at the game.

Comments

• Options
    Can't help but look past Preston at the draw on Saturday.
  • Options
    Sounded a great match, but what was most evident is that there seems to be a great spirit at the club again.
  • Options
    Spirit and strength in depth - good times!
  • Options
    Wonderful game , team worked hard and great spirit and support of the crowd But only 6668 there. Where was everyone?
  • Options
    on way home now, glad i decided to go. for me green has to start from now on, and wagstaff looks more effective in the middle rather than on the right. pritchard and bover both looked good and mambo won everything in the air.
  • Options

Big call from Powell to play a virtual 2nd XI against a higher division side, especially with rookies like Bover, Pritchard and Mambo.

Shows that he has confidence in his second string players.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Made a late decision to pop down tonight and glad I did.  11 changes and some excellent football again, thoroughly deserved win despite the referee's best efforts late in the second half.  Pritchard was my pick for MOTM, great game in the centre, full of energy, pace and no little skill either. Unlucky not to score first half with a neat lob cleared from under the bar.  Benson looked very sharp and certainly ahead of Euell, although the old boy got better as the game went on and showed some useful experience in the latter stages. Hughes solid, Evina will be pushing Wiggins before long. 

We had both Green and Wagstaff on the pitch for most of the second half, the latter replacing the injured Benson.  They're such different players but both were really dangerous tonight - if only there was room for both in the side. 

• Options
    Glad I went, as I really enjoyed that game, as did wife and kids. Some really good football by us and we should have won by more particularly after the second half. Nearly scored 3 times direct from a corner. Hit woodwork a few times as well as chances cleared off line and missed one on ones. Thought most did well with special mention for Green, Mambo, Pritchard and Benson. Waggy was great from the bench too and showed how useful he can be in a striking role. We're still short a cb and cf but for a League one team too have so much in reserve, it really shows how lucky we are. Pity there weren't more there to enjoy it as it really was a great little game. COYR!
  • Options
    How did our friend Simon play?
  • Options
    Assuming Reading played second string team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was awesome. Evina, Green, Pritchard and Bover were all great. Bover was unlucky not to score just before he was subbed. Green and Wagstaff played well together in the 2nd half which was good to see as I hoped it wouldn't be one or the other. Euell took a while to get going but he never stopped working hard. There was such confidence and there was a period in the middle of the second half where we could have scored 4. Green's corners were great. he hit the post with one of them, Reading were in a mess at our set pieces. We also took quick throw-on's (when did we ever do that?) the ref did his best to spoil the game, and Powell was going mental at him for the majority. There was no consistency with the free kicks. However, I had confidence that we'd stay in the game or go on and score more. I think their goal came as they were putting on the pressure and we had to make the Doc sub. I also thought Hamer made some great saves and fully confident if he took the number 1 spot. Benson did great - felt bad for slagging him off as he won everything in the air and we actually seemed slightly poorer when he had to go off - he looked in agony - assume a broken/dislocated finger. 

Pritchard looks brilliant though and my MOTM. 
  • Options
    @WSS Francis did ok, usual mix of the solidly effective and the sort of stuff a 6 year old parks player would be ashamed of. 
  • Options
    Just got in, more later, and haven't read this thread so far....but what a great enjoyable evening, excellent value for money, entertainment throughout, a win (a well deserved win) best game I've ever seen from a 'reserve' team, from what I could tell everybody was buzzing from that....so glad i went.
  • Options
    Francis actually had a pretty solid 1st half I thought as he was playing right in front of where we were sitting in the west. Some great ball skills. He made a couple of errors later into the game, but certainly not a poor option. 
  • Options
    be grateful if those there could partake in the player marks thread, much obliged

• Options
    This is so encouraging I'm almost scared I'll wake up in a minute and find out that Traore is club captain.
  • Options

Not sure but arguably so did we, nobody who started tonight had played in the last few games
  • Options

Not sure but arguably so did we, nobody who started tonight had played in the last few games
    Absolutely. I just wondered whether we did well or f****cking well!

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I dont know much about their team, but they had Jay Tabb, Ian Harte and someone Howard that my dad kept on saying "he used to be good"
  • Options
    Unbeaten in 5.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I dont know much about their team, but they had Jay Tabb, Ian Harte and someone Howard that my dad kept on saying "he used to be good"
    Thats what Dads are for!
  • Options
    Powell must be odds on for the dreaded manager of the month...
  • Options
    Pritchard my MOM defended attacked looked calm on the ball won tackles and actually used his brain.mambo was excellent too against a tricky opponent in manset.bover showed nice touches and euell may not be the quickest but very intelligent in his play.glad he scored.evina very good both going forward and defending believe he offers more than wiggins.green looked good too.very happy coming home 2nite.didn't expect us to put in such a good performance.coyrr
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2011
    [quote]that has to be the most galling thing about this shambles, the fact that Charlton made 11 changes for this match and we couldn't even beat them, well done John making great efforts to ensure we dont get anywhere near that nasty premiership again, and he says he wants to sell the club what utter bollocks[/quote]

• Options

Absolutely. I just wondered whether we did well or f****cking well!

Reading did make a number of changes - but we gave Pritchard and Bover their first ever matches in competitive football, and had Hamer and Evina making their club debuts. Our B team was therefore likely to have been much weaker than their B team, at least on paper, but then we aren't playing matches on paper.
  • Options
    Reading didn't have a particularly weak team, they had Ian Harte, Jobi Macanuff, and that guy who scored a couple against Millwall at the start of the season.
    My wife wants her copmputer back, so I have to go - but I thought Mambo was great, and Green & Waggy were exceptional together.  Also thought Benson looked great and was playing his heart out; felt bad for him when he had to go off injured.
  • Options
    Powell must be odds on for the dreaded manager of the month...
    The bloke at MK Dons is in line for it at the moment. Top of the league and 2 cup wins including a 4-0 at Premier League Norwich.
  • Options
    Played well tonight well done to the boys MOM for me would be a toss up between evina or pritchard -
  • Options
    On my way back to Upminster now, and I have to say we were brilliant. For a team thats never played together before in a competitive game, we really did look the part. Green was on a different level to his marker. Pritchard was a complete engine all game, evinna was a threat too with bags of pace. Francis did well considering he was playing against one of the best wingers in the championship in mcanuff, and upfront benson and fuell really gave their defenders something to think about. Special mensions for the debutee's who also played their part in a thrilling game.
    Very assuring to know we have such strength in depth in the squad, and some really class players.
  • Options
    Their big fella up front was the only player I actually noticed for a positive reason. He was pretty miffed going off at half time moaning to his team mates and their coaching staff were obviously telling him he was doing well but was unlucky and for a striker he was a fast lump.