Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 1 Reading - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    One of the best games i have seen Francis play (still not brilliant IMO) Pritchard, Evina and even Mambo were class tonight. Green should start saturday-not a fantastic performance from him but still produced more than Waggy did last Saturday IMO. Euell's link up play was brilliant, Benson was good before he went off injured. Bover grew into the game more in the second half, Hughes was probably my worst player tonight. Hamer made 2/3 brilliant saves as well.
  • Options
    Powell must be odds on for the dreaded manager of the month...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Reading had 3 players who started last week as well as subs who came on at the weekend. It's worth bearing in mind that they have reserve players such as Brian Howard, Manset and Church who are good Champ players so its not like we played their kids, which is what I think I'm finding particularly heartening.
  • Options
    Powell must be odds on for the dreaded manager of the month...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dont worry I expect Karl Robinson at Mk Frauds to get it.
  • Options
    Great team performance. Francis was really good IMHO. Pritchard was my MOM. Ever since the Welling game, I have said that he will be our surprise signing. Mambo controlled the back and Waggy was quality when he came on into his best position. Green almost scored from two corners AND he was taking them!!! Wasn't impressed with Hughes but everyone else was good. Bover isn't ready for the league but that's not to say he wasn't good. I would send him out on loan to a league two side for a few months (e.g. Dagenham). Hamer will fight it out with Elliot. Sullivan should play JPT. 
  • Options
    Yet another entertaining game of football end to end, loads of chances, we hit the woodwork at least three times that I remember, Greens delivery is just unbelievable, we have a real squad on our hands this year, cannot wait till next game.
  • Options

May I remind everyone that Francis put in an absolute peach of a cross for Euells goal. Defended brilliantly. A different player to last season! A cracking game overall, it should have been about 3-2 in the first half. Reading came back in the 2nd half but we had so many chances and I thought Reading might sneak an equaliser at the end but we held firm. Got to say we have 2 very good teams in this squad. And maybe there was only 6,668 there but the atmospere was excellent. Excellent night. Chrissy Powells Red and White army!

• Options
    Their starting 11 were Championship quality. Their subs were even better! This was not an easy game and we were the under dogs. We played our second team against what was effectively a decent Championship team. We held our own. The players tonight deserve a lot of credit because those players in blue and white shirts could easily slip into any league one team. Good show from the Charlton tonight.
  • Options
    And let's not forget these players had never played together before in a competitive match.  So much for the G word!!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Saw the teams before the game on the match thread and said I feared a beating, how wrong was I proved, everytime we went forward we looked like scoring it's a million miles bette,r even from our "reserves" than what we witnessed 3 months ago.

Only negative was Powell making a sub when we lining up for the corner, from which Morrison failed to clear and they scored but he didn't put a foot wrong after that, Doherty did look injured but another useful learning curve from Powell. He and the rest of the coaching team were really animated on the touchline and from the East the assistant ref had a few words with him but good to see them fighting the teams corner, think Powell also ran down the line after Euell scored.

On the pitch everyone who played didn't do themselves any harm if they are given a chance vs Bury on Saturday. Benson really wanted it and was better than Euell first half. Green missed a sitter as did Euell but both got better as the game went on, only worry about Green is he might fly into a tackle at any moment and get a red...Pritchard was MotM quick and useful with the ball who wouldn't have thought he was a non league player would also name him before Hughes on the bench after this display, Evina was better than what I've seen of Wiggins so far, kept McAnuff quiet. Francis was good, yes he gave away a few silly balls but he also made 2 very good headers off the line and made some important tackles, solid performance from him. Bover nearly scored with his last kick, didn't look out of place but a loan to a L2 club for a few months will help him develop more.

All in all a good night and well worth the £10, if we perform like that vs Preston we'll be in the next round
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Really good performance tonight and based on the hunger, desire and ability of those given their chance, it shows that we do have some decent strength in depth to rely on. None of tonights starting eleven would look out of place in a top League One side, so a massive positive for me. As others have said, Pritchard stood out, calm and calculated in the middle, full of energy and drive and he can pick a pass. Hughes did the holding job ok which allowed Pritchard to get forward. Hamer, Evina, Green all good throughout and no problem with any of these pushing for a starting place in the League. Mambo surprised and grew in stature as the game went on after winning the opening battle with Manset, defended well thereafter and made very few mistakes. Francis had a very good game, defended well at times and got in some important challenges and headers. Going forward he was even better, linked well, played in some good passes and crosses, the one for the second goal being exceptional, if it had been Green this board would be creaming itself. He did enough tonight to suggest that he would be an asset and will benefit from playing with better players. Bover is a great talent and uses the ball well and has fantastic close control. He needs to improve his defensive awareness and player tracking when not in possesion if he is to break into the first XI IMHO. Euell just needs match fitness and showed tonight that he will be useful if not the most mobile. He still has it in mind, although the body may not allow for consistency and endurance over a full season. Benson was good and desered his goal, shame he got injured, but you noticed that we missed him as he had led the line so well, won his fair share of arial ball and his link up play was much improved. Green did enough to prove he deserves to start, but he may have to wait a little longer, as Wagstaff once again impressed with his cameo. Waggy through the middle is another option after tonight. Doc did what Doc does, nothing more nothing less but picked up a niggle. We could have scored a few more, but no one could deny that the best team won on the night and that team was eleven new starters, so many more pluses and roll on Bury !
  • Options
    I also thought Francis played very well, but then I  thought that everyone played very well, some were merely outstanding. An inventive, fast, skillful and incredibly entertaining game of football. I have nothing but praise for our four youngsters. Credit to the whole team Charlton ethos.
  • Options
    Second what has already been said, with particular praise to Francis and although no-one else has mentioned him I thought Mambo was immense, challenged for everything and won nearly all of them. Green looked good, but so did Wagstaff, a difficult choice for Saturday. Benson and Euell also both good, another good dilemma for Powell to face!
  • Options
    Fantastic result. One of those games going into it where if we had been beat i wouldn't have been fussed. However a 2-1 win with a whole new 11 brings another welcome feeling of optimism. Powell said he would give everyone a chance to shine and if they keep taking that chance then it will be a welcomed selection headache for Chris. Happy for Mambo aswell to put the demons of the Shrewsbury game to bed.
  • Options
    Fantastic game and they all played their part in a thoroughly enjoyable game.  We could easily have won by 4 or 5. 

• Options
    I thought the team played with a spirit I haven't seen for some time at The Valley... and they were mainly our so called 'development' players. At times they looked like they had been playing together for months and seasons. Some of the technical play and one-touch football was a joy to behold, like Pritchard's cute backheel to set up another swift attack after we had scored the first. And the speed and intensity we hit Reading with must have taken them by surprise (as well as most of the home fans!). Mustn't forget that the keeping and defending, although a little scary at times was generally solid stuff. Hamer's fingertip save to the top left corner towards the end of the first half springs to mind.

I know it's only a Carling Cup game but I think some of the players tonight will be strongly challenging for places in the first XI if they can keep this up. And I hope we go on a good run too as this gives the squad more competitive game time in the absence of regular reserve matches.

SCP certainly has assembled a squad with some depth and quality. I hope it's good enough to last this season and beyond!
  • Options
    What was good about this team was that there was so much movement.  Pritchard was like keith jones with creativity, Francis had a good game and certainly made no more mistakes than other players out there tonight or for that matter in other ganes this season, worked hard, got some good tackles in and some good crosses, no player can be rated at less than a 7.  Thought after about 15 minutes we could be winning 4-2, Benson and Euell both had chances, bensons was a bounce that came up a bit too high for him and Euell had a one on one that the keeper did well to stop but Euell should have tucked away.  More and more as the game went on we took control and whilst not totally dominant felt that we could win it, Euells goal was a peach.

Green is great, hard working moaning like Johny Robinson took a couple of low inswinging corners which almost went straight in.  Thier goal was a comedy of errors - I know Doherty was injured but couldn't he stay on a few more minutes to clear the corner, hate changing defence at corners and predicted a goal.

Big selection problems for CP, there will be a few players knocking on his door.

Sour note is that all three subs were for injuries.

• Options
    Just thought I'd add that despite a somewhat disappointing attendance, that we had DOUBLE millwall's crowd.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Really enjoyed this match, thought the team had real quality and determination about it and did Chris Powell proud, some excellent performances , long may it continue!

The ref had a shocker and seemed determined to let Reading back into the match , we could have won by a lot more goals.
  • Options
    Always difficult to make a 'stand out' statement on this board. But tonight I have to. 
    MOM was Francis by a country mile. He had a superb game and was involved in everything.
    Needs a break by some on here I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I arrived at the ground and heard we had a completely different starting 11 from saturday, I nearly walked back to the car to drive home and save a tenner.
    Doc & mambo in the centre with Francis joining them at the back? has Powell completely lost the plot?
    Both bover & pritchard starting in the midfield, absolutely no experience between them and a fron line of Euell (considered too old by many here) and Benson (considered not good enough by the same mob).

I thought whilst i was now thereI might as well watch it, and I'm so glad I did. It was 90 mins of entertaining football. We seemed to play without fear and with plenty of slick passing. It didn't always come off but it was a joy to watch when it did. I feared for Francis when I saw he was up against McAnuff but i need not have worried. He was always in control and gave a good option at times to Green with some clever runs, and not forgetting his assist with a great cross. Bover I thought tried to be a little too clever in the first half at times but looked better in the second period, a good debut. Pritchard looks like a good acquisition. Full of energy with a good touch and an eye for goal. Not a single bad performance in a red shirt tonight which shows that we genuinely have quality in reserve.

Word of warning to the first team. Watch your backs and keep on top of your game because these guys have staked a claim and its a valid one too.
  • Options
    Was expecting Callum Harriott to get another run out tonight, or at least on the bench - is he injured?
  • Options
    Were people impressed with Evina then? I listened to the commentary on Player and Browny seemed to think he was good going forward but was giving him a right slating for being weak and hesitant in the challenge. Then again compared to Brown steamrollers are weak in the challenge. Anyone who was there have an opinion on Evina defensively?
  • Options
    One of the most entertaining , exciting and enjoyable games I have seen for a long long time at The Valley. Big plusses for Benson, Pritchard, Green, Mambo, Euell, Hamer, Evina and a special mention for Francis who considering he knows he is on his way and he isnt a favourite played really really well. One downside for me was Hughes who didnt show that bulldog fighting spirit we had heard about. All in all a great evening and one that fills me with a lot of hope considering this was our 2nd X1.
  • Options
    To be honest, he didn't seem to have alot to do defensively as they seemed to concentrate on attacking on the other flank (probably saw Francis as the weak link) but when he did have to defend he looked solid enough and seems to be blessed with some pace as well. Looked very dangerous on the overlap and was always looking to get forward. Even had a chance to score at the end but took to long to line up his shot. Good performance though.
  • Options
    Awesome! Cannot believe Pritchard was looking for a job away from football, thought he was outstanding tonight. Green must start soon, but would be very harsh to drop waggy, tough one.
    I think we will regret it if we let Benson go unless we sign a similar player, but even then we might.... The quick throw from green to Benson showed the benefit of two players who know each others game so well.

Bover, Evina, Mambo, Pritchard, Euell And dare I say Francis....you have to be happy with those in reserve?!

This is the first time in years I have seen a charlton team who looked like they really wanted to win a cup game.
  • Options
    SCP now has a few problems with selection. 
    How to play Wagstaff and Green?
    How to leave out Mambo?
    What goalkeeper?
    Francis or Solly?
    Pritchard? Bover?

What  a problem to have........
  • Options
    Has anyone heard CP's post match conference, as apparently he's mentioned more possible incomings!
  • Options
    Great game from or so called 'second 11' easily better than our first team 11 from last season. Think Hammer will be no1 come sat, his distribution is far supirier to robbies also made some good saves/catches. Mambo was a huge improvement on previous and looks like he could be a real player once he gets some games under his belt. Evina was bloody quick, wasn't too keen on him defensiely but he has come through the arsenal academy so what do we expect!!! Jesting aside with his pace he could always get up chase down and put in a challange or at least pressure on the ball after any mistakes and looked good going forward with a good left peg a cross on him. Doc had a solid game, Hughes was awful I thought, did improve second half but don't think he found a red shirt in the whole of the first half. Bover grew into the game, unless he goes to a good passing team don't think it will be beneficial to send him out on loan, reckon he'll learn more training with our first team and getting odd 20 min here and there. Got great close control and unlucky not to score. Pritchard was clear MOM truley unbelievabel that this was his, as well as Bovers first professional appearances. Great on the ball and a real hustle and bustle in the middle always providing the option for a pass and willign to attack the edge of the box, could be one hell of a player in this league. Greens delivery was excellent will surely start ahead of Waggy who I thought help change the game a little and swing it back in our favour, really want to see him given a run up top if BWP or Hayes don't keep up their form. Also will help us close out games with his energy and pace up top. Euell had a good game in the end after a poor opening 20min where he should have had 1 poss 2 goals and generally looked off the pace, held it up well in second and linked play well bringing the midfield into play. Benson looked a threat and always willing to chase back but, am I the only one who wonders why the hell he gets caught offside so many times, surely not right for a professional player?

Anyways a good game which we thoroughly deserved to win, Reading were in truth extremely poor at the back, if they play that back four week in week out they will be in a relegation scrap
  • Options
    Solley cant afford any more errors like Saturday but should keep his place but Francis has to be breathing down his neck. Pritchard was terrific- I am very excited about this player.